over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who does bb military press?

i do a lot of standing strict press, push press,push jerk and split jerk. i havent done seated military press in years.

This. But if I trained solely form form vs function I think I would probably only do laterals for delts and no shoulder presses at all.

One of my best body parts is my shoulders. My number #1 exercise has been barbell/dumbbell military presses. I never have like behind the neck,,,for me always awkward and uncomfortable.

Same here; I like barbell as of late ; more isolation and less shoulder discomfort. DB is good but getting those heavy weights up became a challenge with no spotter and my lower back takes a tool when I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

every week twice a week.. Its a staple lift for me.. wouldn't train with out it.. Standing always .. no seated.. works alot more than just shoulders .. compund movement .. standing heavy presses work your core too.. seated you loose half the benifits IMO

Last edited:
I am a Physical Therapist. I have seen a lot of labrum tears from behind the neck presses. I see dumbell military presses as the most complete exercise for the shoulders with a smaller risk of injury. To do standing presses seems like it takes the focus off the delts and more on the core. Also standing puts a incredible amount of compression force through the lumbar spine. With seated behind the neck presses, one has to remove the bar from the rack to get into position and this opens up for injury. Using the smith machine reduces the risk but i have always felt the smith machine was kind of worthless for many exercises. takes away the balancing aspect of the free weights. Dorian Yates called behind the neck presses worthless.

When did Yates say that? He said that about Upright Rows but he did do a lot of Behind the Neck Presses earlier in his career to build his delts.

Kevin Levrone actually credits the Smith Behind neck Presses for his delt development.

Last edited:
I've been alternating bb seated smith-machine presses with front bb press for the last year and my delts have grown amazingly. That being said, I just had an MRI this morning for my left shoulder. It seems better now, but this weekend I was convinced something was torn. Couldn't raise my arm above 45 degrees.

When did Yates say that? He said that about Upright Rows but he did do a lot of Behind the Neck Presses earlier in his career to build his delts.

Kevin Levrone actually credits the Smith Behind neck Presses for his delt development.

in the same video I saw he said upright rows were worthless also!!!

stopped shoulder pressing 6 weeks ago...

the more I thought about it the more it seemed to be holding me back.
I need rest to grow...a lot of rest.

so if im doing shoulder press im overworking my front and rear delts...and my triceps.
I only do lateral raises now.

shoulders and tris seem to be growing in a new way.

in the same video I saw he said upright rows were worthless also!!!

You mean this video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R2VA8N8k4o"]Dorian Yates: Delt Exercises - YouTube[/ame]

I heard the word risky used but not useless at about the 7:30-10:30 mark.

Anyone do pretty heavy weights with the barbell? has lifting a lot of weight like this created big shoulders?
i do both heavy and light.
my known max push press is 275x2
light would be last nights workout...

15 minute Ladder
push press (115lbs) 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16=72 reps
Double Unders - 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80=360

do 2 push press then 10 double under, then 4 push press 20 du's and so on. climb the ladder as high as possible in 15 minutes. sounds easy until you get to about 12 and cant breathe anymore.

I love standing bb military press. A grip slightly outside the shoulders feels natural to me. I switch these with behind the neck press, with a wide grip and less weight.

Laterals, laterals, and then more laterals...
Comes down to structure and function

Single handed Db upright rows and lat raises

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjC0U0AmoT0"]MuscleTech: "60 Seconds on Muscle" One Arm Upright Row - YouTube[/ame]

delts are prob my best body part. since phil hernon advised me to do only dumbbell laterals, that's all I have done. that's been near 8-9 years? they are still easily the best body part on me.
is it the exercise or the genetics........:lightbulb::):confused::D
-JS

delts are prob my best body part. since phil hernon advised me to do only dumbbell laterals, that's all I have done. that's been near 8-9 years? they are still easily the best body part on me.
-JS

Both :)

The main reason I perform standing bb military presses now is more for core strength than anything. I recently started doing them without a belt. But agreed, laterals can definitely get the job done :headbang:

-JS

How do u perform those laterals? One arm at a time?, Arms straight or bent in the L-shape?

I perform a superset of standing bb press, front and side raises, and kettlebell halos. Separate superset for rear delts and traps. No more impingement issues for me.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131