mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Why do we risk so much to impress complete strangers with our muscles?

I first I started it to get bigger, I was 5'11" 150 lbs when I graduated HS. In 3 years I'd gotten to 200, then I got more attention from girls, so that fueled the fire. I then took 2 runs of gear, competed at 22, won the local Mr Nobody BB contest. Went clean, got married, continued to train consistently natty from 1990 until 2007 when I went on HRT (and a little extra at times :) ). Competed again at 42 and 44, 75lbs heavier on stage than my beginning weight of a skinny / fat 150.

Now I do it because it's what we do, my life would be empty if I couldnt lift, and I dont really care what people think. But you have to admit, especially us older guys, if you look way better than your peers, or even most guys 20 years younger, there is a sense of accomplishment, and it's confirmed by the attention we get from strangers. Almost anybody can be big, or ripped, but to be both is not as easy.

Bottom line, we who have been at it for awhile, start doing it for one reason or the other, and continue it just because it's a part of our being

If you have to question why you do it then you're not doing it for the right reasons. Sounds like the OP is a huge douche and is looking for some justification for his arrogance.

Are we any different than the nasty looking women who go overboard with plastic surgery and start looking like aliens?

IMO there is no comparison..... getting implants and surgeries (men or women) just give the ILLUSION of being fit..... you still gotta put your work in to truly be fit.

I do not lift to impress others. It is for my mental and physical well being. I am completely selfish in my gym pursuits.

WHY DO WE RISK......
No risk, no reward!

I knew I wanted to look like a bodybuilder before I even knew what bodybuilding was. I used to workout with my mom at age 2 when Jack La Lane had his morning workout show back in 1970. The first time I saw Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk at age 8 I knew that was the way I wanted to be. When Arnold was in Conan the Barbarian I went out and bought a weight set and began lifting at age 10.

I have achieved the look I have always wanted. When I want something, I make it happen no matter what it takes. I've never been a follower, ever. I do things my way.

What's with all the fear here lately? This is a hardcore bodybuilding site. Do you think normal people live longer than bodybuilders? Do a google search on how many people die everyday. This is getting ridiculous!

WHY DO WE RISK......
No risk, no reward!

I knew I wanted to look like a bodybuilder before I even knew what bodybuilding was. I used to workout with my mom at age 2 when Jack La Lane had his morning workout show back in 1970. The first time I saw Lou Ferrigno in the Incredible Hulk at age 8 I knew that was the way I wanted to be. When Arnold was in Conan the Barbarian I went out and bought a weight set and began lifting at age 10.

I have achieved the look I have always wanted. When I want something, I make it happen no matter what it takes. I've never been a follower, ever. I do things my way.

What's with all the fear here lately? This is a hardcore bodybuilding site. Do you think normal people live longer than bodybuilders? Do a google search on how many people die everyday. This is getting ridiculous!

WHY DO WE RISK......
No risk, no reward!

WHY DO WE RISK......
No risk, no reward!

WHY DO WE RISK......
No risk, no reward!

For me, it's more of a personal challenge. I do like when others notice my efforts but to me it's more about challenging my body to do things that the typical person can't do. Face it, what we do isn't easy.

i feel the same, never have done anything for anyone other than myself.
I don't need anyone else's approval I do it for myself and that's it, I don't even own a tank top, most of the time it's negative attention anyway and who needs that? maybe some like it but I don't

Sorry everyone. Apparently my phone wanted to really make a statement and posted the same post 5 times. It's too late to delete anything. This phone is really frustrating! Had to reboot it. :(

Last edited:
I started lifting in 8th grade for football and haven't really stopped since. Being strong and fit really helps in my profession (firefighter) . The biggest thing that working out gives me is a piece of mind. I work two jobs and usually put in around 100 hours a week along with a wife , a one year old boy and a girl that will be here in December. Going to the gym is the only place that I have me time. Sure there are plenty of people there, but once I put my music on I zone out, lift and mentally have the place to myself. I'm pretty sure I would go nuts if I didn't get that one hour 5 days a week.

Most of us on this forum arent competitive bodybuilders or models. We dont make a penny from this hobby. However we risk our health, freedom and blow tons of money to get bigger, leaner and veinier. When I started as a 15 year old in 1998 it was because all my heroes in the WWF had huge muscles. Now at 30 I look good but I sure as hell wont be winning any bodybuilding contests or making money from this. I have spent a small fortune on drugs and supplements, risked my health and freedom by abusing drugs and I think its safe to say those who love or care for me would do it even if i was a small guy.

I love the feeling of when I walk into a supermarket or a crowded restaurant wearing a tank top and I see people staring at me and lets be realistic most of them are probably thinking I am a juiced up, dumb meathead. Anyone else ever wonder why the fuck do we do it? I tried to stop before. Turn into a fitness type crossfit skinny guy but within a few months I was back to ordering gear again. Ever wonder why do we do it? Are we any different than the nasty looking women who go overboard with plastic surgery and start looking like aliens?

I think the question you should be asking is who is NOT so smart that admits all this things on a open forum:banghead:.....let me incriminate myself by asking a dumb question:confused:

Personally I look the way I do cuz I love to for me.i could care less who I impressed or not...plus my wife thinks im one hot sexy beast:p

I think the question you should be asking is who is NOT so smart that admits all this things on a open forum:banghead:.....let me incriminate myself by asking a dumb question:confused:

Personally I look the way I do cuz I love to for me.i could care less who I impressed or not...plus my wife thinks im one hot sexy beast:p

We all think you're a hot, sexy beast. Do I have to say, "NO HOMO" now? Hahahahaha ::ction-sm

You could put me in shack in woods and tell me i would never see another soul and I'd still train same way I do now

Here are a few insights that I've picked up along the way that sum up why I lift and do the things that I do to pursue my own personal goals:

"Bodybuilding is not just about physical training with weights to change how you look. It’s also about mind, spirit and body, together in union so that everything grows, not just your muscles."

"The resistance that you fight physically in the gym and the resistance that you fight in life can only build a strong character"

"Lifting is the only time that I'm truly free – free from the bullshit that other people and life has thrown at me. It's all gone, just me and the weight. And that's where I find my peace."

This is why I do what I do.

:yeahthat:

These are the core reasons that keep people pursuing excellence this way. Couldn't have said it better brother!

I can honestly say that feeling insecure about myself had something to do with it but it was definitely not the only reason. All throughout high school I was a bit on the chubby side but not obese, however this did bring about some insecurities. After that I joined the military, and one day in bootcamp I had a chance to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror with no shirt on and was amazed how different I looked, probably dropped like 25 pounds of mostly fat.
So after bootcamp, I just decided to keep training since I had not much else to do in my free time and fell in love with the research of it as well. I loved reading about nutrition and training related things.

So during that time, it was mostly for myself, for the love of all the aspects of it. I then noticed the attention and that also became part of it. Now, I'm married with a kid so I need it to blow off steam sometimes, but overall it lifts my mood and it's the only time where I don't worry about the future, school, or personal problems. In the future, when I'm older, I hope to use it as a tool for longevity and overall well-being. My grandfather from my dad's side is 92 and still alive, a man that's been physically active all his live. On the other hand my other granddad was more of a business person and sadly has passed away(heart I believe). I don't believe the correlation equals causation completely, but I do hope to continue to love this 'hobby' for some years to come.

I actually got into it as I knew it was the most efficient way to lose a bit of fat. Didn't set high goals just wanted flat stomach and to look slim in t shirt. Achieved this real quick but got hooked on the whole lifting and getting stronger thing. Ironicly bulked to get stronger and gained some fat back but loved the lifting. One day I thought fuck it I've got some good muscle Let's get lean and getting big and lean became my goal. Never looked back but for me is more of a see how far I can push it then impress other people. I never wear tank wifebeaters outside of gym or even tight fitting t shirts. Of is real hot I might take to of but only to save money on sunbeds lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

for the same reason someone would sink tens of thousands into a car to make it go dangerously fast....

same reason people spend thousands to learn to cage fight and get their heads bashed in or a limb broken...

if u live life completely safely, is it worth living?

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
billions.must.lift
NapsGear