mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Worst/Best Dungeon of a Gym You Worked Out in ?

Yeagers, outside of Chicago Back in my hay day.
Nothin but Hardcore!

Bodybuilders Inc. in Akron, Ohio.

Synthetek Industries – Innovative Bodybuilding Products: Syntherol SEO | Human Kyno | L-Carnitine | Liver Protectants | Appetite Stimulators | Vasodilators - www.synthetek.com

yeagers

Yeagers, outside of Chicago Back in my hay day.
Nothin but Hardcore!

My wife and I (girlfriend back then) used to hit Yeagers once in a while back in mid 80's...always thought their equipment was oversized. Nice gym, knew some bros who trained there... Kelly kavett(sp) was a freak, Barry Schulist won the Il cup in 88, Joe strezlac(sp) who beat me for overall at Mr chgo, also good friend Jim Margini, one of the best in Il back then... saw a couple seminars there too, think Labrada, maybe Dreher too. Cool place, used to go to Pros gym, Hamarz, Barbells, but our home gym was the original Quads

Last edited:
Around me, a pretty big gym, TITANs, I just joined. It big and has lots of fancy machines, etc... but the free weight portion is filled with bodybuilders, strongmen, they have a powerlifting room.... with everything locked down. They pretty much have everything you would need as a serious lifter or as a cardio enthusiast. I like it because when I decide to workout on a Friday night, I hate the feel of a dead gym. When I am surrounded by people bigger and stronger than me, training harder, or just as hard... I feel better. I quit going to Bally's when the trainers looked at me funny when I was yelling during an all out set of deads..... If the gym has Octagon plates, get out of there.
Kings gym is another good one.
The gym in my neighborhood I go to out of convenience, locally owned, not going to name it. It is good, caters to suburbanites, soccer mom's. The cool thing is that it is owned by a powerlifter. There are a few lifters in there, and he trains wrestlers. Its funny watching him train suit and tie people who are just getting into it, having them do max deadlift singles. One guy was being trained back to health following recovery from a back injury, car accident. He had the guy doing max deads. His rationale is that a strong back overcomes disc problems. One time he threatened to pull out the wrestling mat and throw me when I left my chew spit bottle and my box and rubber bands still on the squat rack. That is a good owner, one that threatens physical harm, rather than some corporate BS.

Last edited:
Quads(currently closed) Yeagers very well known hardcore gym.
Kelly trained at the old bodyshop circa 82-83 or 4 while in college.
freaky at a very young age. The old larrys in Waukegan in the early to late
80s was probably my favorite.Hoping quads reopens we will see.
T

Check out iron prodigy in fort collins colorado or team tom fitness in greeley ... couples of places to lift that you can get down n dirty in

Haven't been there personally, but this looks pretty hardcore:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3NiDjDgVNo#t=51[/ame]

Frenchie's

New York City Universal Road Trip: Episode 1

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu0wWy78Zck"]New York City Universal Road Trip: Episode 1 (Extended Version) - YouTube[/ame]

Lifters club in oak ridge tn. Redneck as shit but good gym. Had dumbbells on like an elongated deadlift platform and was mandatory to drop them. Think he had tore something by muscling down some dumbbells so he'd get on to you for not dropping. Sam Byrd had a little gym for little bit that was pretty hardcore. I think every bodybuilder/powerlifter dreams of owning dungeon gym

I've always wanted to do a gym tour hitting west side, bev Francis, metroflex, diamond, Venice, etc.

George Turners

Best was George Turners in south St. Louis in the 80's the owner George knew his stuff but screamed at everybody! Phil Hill worked there I saw George fire him and throw him out for hitting on chics instead working. Kick ass gym of all times though!

Albany strength, if I remember correctly they had 8 squat racks and dumbbells up 200 pounds

Albany strength, if I remember correctly they had 8 squat racks and dumbbells up 200 pounds

I was about to check them out tomorrow. What do you think of the place?

IronWorks gym was the best and worst gym i ever worked out in. it had everything you needed for equipment, but lights didnt work or heat so we worked out in heavy coats in the winter and when it rained there would be inches of water covering the floor. i lifted there until it got condemned a few years back.

Iron Works

Best gym I ever went to was Iron Works Gym in Saskatoon, Canada.

The owner is both a champion in bodybuilding and powerlifting. All kinds of equipment, heavy dumbbells, an area that's open to powerlifters only during special times, olympic lifting and strongman equipment.

Heavy metal all day long and you're always greeted by the owners large boxer dog.

A REAL GYM

Cagles Gym, Marietta GA circa 1985...

Trained with Jim Helwig, Mr. Georgia at the time, you know him as The Ultimate Warrior. Saw him reverse grip benchpress 495 pounds for 6-8 rep sets.
Jim had a stripper girlfriend who liked to come in and stretch in her tights and everybody would kinda get distracted to say the least...Jim loved that.
Nick Charles from ESPN. Bunch of powerlifting cops. Minor league wrestlers and
Tons of bodybuilding wannabees like me.
It was heaven.
No AC, very little heat, everything beat to hell and back. Winter you had to wipe the condensation of anything metal and your towels were the color of rust. Looked like a crime scene cleanup.

Ran by the best guy ever...Charlie Thompson.

Real gyms don't exist here in Kansas but the best gyms I've ever trained in were the Original Metroflex and downtown Tampa's Powerhouse.

There used to be a true hardcore gym in Wichita - Sailors gym. I'm sure its probably gone but in the 80's you would have been shocked how big those dudes were.

There used to be a true hardcore gym in Wichita - Sailors gym. I'm sure its probably gone but in the 80's you would have been shocked how big those dudes were.
Yeah it's gone. I got here in 2003. There was a Golds that closed down before I got here. I think it would be tough for any gym to survive here with the several Ymcas and Genesis health clubs here. They are all decent but not the atmosphere of hardcore bb gyms elsewhere. Cross fit gyms are popping up all over but no thanks.

I think rAJ, xcel, Tyrone, BigKiwi and myself have been to the "Dungeon" of all gyms...The gym we hit in Fiji was nothing like I have or ever will see again:eek::D

Maybe rAJ still has some pics of that place he can post up but pics cannot do that place justice:p:cool:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
novi0jqz
NapsGear