over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is there any truth to Dave Palumbo's Cardio fact

bananas007

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Dave states that the real fat burning dont start till 20 minutes into the cardio. Is it true?

I am so bored by cardio that I was thinking about breaking it up into 3 times 20 minute session or 3 - 30 minutes sessions. But if daves theory is true that would be worthless.

i do 2 hours i a row 6 days a week i dont feel for you ;) hehe my pulse is up after 5min like 130

i do 2 hours i a row 6 days a week i dont feel for you ;) hehe my pulse is up after 5min like 130

Wow? 2 hours in a row? r u in military?

BTW pulse and fat burning has nothing to do with each other. What dave says that for the first 20 minutes you tap into your glycogen only. Fatty acid oxidation doesnt start till after the glycogen is depleted.

Last edited:
I train first, fasted in the morning, then do cardio. Glycogen is well depleted by the time I start cardio. And no, no muscle loss, low intensity 40 minutes and it works like a charm without over-training. (Plus...I use AAS, so that probably helps keep the muscle...but it's a secret;) )

By the time I get home, I ready to friggin EAT and feel great afterward.

If you do UNDER 20 minutes of cardio --- this is where HIIT cardio shines.

Because you are NOT burning fat at the moment -- rather it is the aftermath effect of EPOC that is burning overall calories.

But for lower intensity -- anything under 30 is a disservice.

-FF

Dave states that the real fat burning dont start till 20 minutes into the cardio. Is it true?

I am so bored by cardio that I was thinking about breaking it up into 3 times 20 minute session or 3 - 30 minutes sessions. But if daves theory is true that would be worthless.

If course it's worthless if you half ass on the bike and not put in any effort into it. I think as long as your keeping your BPM above your fat burning zone(according to what IFBB pro Fakhri Mubarak said when prepping people for shows), then those 20-30 minute sessions won't but worthless as what Dave Palumbo thinks it is.

I do some pretty intense cardio after my workout so that glycogen is already depleted. You might want to try that; it'll save you those 20 minutes:D

Because you are NOT burning fat at the moment -- rather it is the aftermath effect of EPOC that is burning overall calories.

-FF

^^^
This.
HIT or tabata style is the best....
traditional cardio is BORING and HIT and tabata style is soooo much easier to get motivated for...because it mimics weight training ...you can blast and cruise like a long working set....

-FF

I am a big fan of HIIT. The protocol I've been using is 25 minutes with 30 second all out sprint (treadmill, outside, elliptical or bike) with 1 minute at about 60% of the sprint pace. If fat loss stalls I decrease time going slow and increase the sprint to 45sec and 45 sec and then eventually to 1 minute sprint with 30 sec slow.

If I do LISS I walk at at 15 degree incline at 4-4.5 MPH for 45 minutes and increase it to an hour if I stall on fat loss.

The best fat loss i saw was with high intensity 20-30 min post workout.

fasted am was a very fast circut workout , hit every body part on set to failure with a weight you can get 20-25 times , immidialtly go to next body part and so on after the first lap go a second lap hitting same body parts from differant angle , after second circut hit abs then go strait to cardio.

you heart rate should be high the whole time , you will have depleted your glycogen so high intenstiy cardio will be more effective for a short duration.

Pm cardio is the same except following your normal heavy weigh exercises

if your daily protein is high enough and you are on some sort of anabolic support i high highly doubt you are gonna lose any muscle , possibly be/look more flat from less glycogen but that will bounce back with a carb up meal

Depending on your exercising intensity it takes about 20 minutes to burn through your food and glyocogen stores before you start burning from your body and fat.

If doing in seperate sessions I would suggest doing cardio in a fasted state which may help to quicken this result. Otherwise I would say to do your resistance training first, use the extra glycogen towards energy to push up a few more lbs. By the time your done that you should be in fat burning more.

Just lift and do your cardio fasted first thin in the morning....you will be burning fat and won't have to worry about all the logistics

I find it hard to believe that one can muster the necessary intensity to train like a BBer while in a fasted state, but maybe I'm a pussy. Are you relying on stims to "fuel" your workout? I know I've done it in the past and felt OK, fat burning was elevated, but I wasn't on gear and felt like I was in a catabolic state by the time cardio rolled around. Almost felt like I was coming down with a cold by the time I wrapped up things. I feel much more energized when I'm fueling my workout with proper nutrition, and recovery is better too.

I'd say it may be necessary during prep or when fat loss is your PRIMARY goal, but as Meadows has said, use weight training sessions to build muscle (good pre/post nutrition for recovery and an optimal muscle building environment) and focus on fat loss the rest of the day by limiting carb intake.

you can liberate fat in only 10 minutes. doesnt mean you are going to utilize it. also doesnt mean that if you stay at it for another 30 minutes you will use it either. personally I have gotten plenty out of doing cardio for only 15 minutes, but I also didnt eat after for quite a while to make sure I didint spike BG and keep that fat potentially moving

I find it hard to believe that one can muster the necessary intensity to train like a BBer while in a fasted state, but maybe I'm a pussy. Are you relying on stims to "fuel" your workout? I know I've done it in the past and felt OK, fat burning was elevated, but I wasn't on gear and felt like I was in a catabolic state by the time cardio rolled around. Almost felt like I was coming down with a cold by the time I wrapped up things. I feel much more energized when I'm fueling my workout with proper nutrition, and recovery is better too.

I'd say it may be necessary during prep or when fat loss is your PRIMARY goal, but as Meadows has said, use weight training sessions to build muscle (good pre/post nutrition for recovery and an optimal muscle building environment) and focus on fat loss the rest of the day by limiting carb intake.

It's called sucking it up and giving it your all

At first you might feel weak but I find it's all mental...once you're done your body just soaks up everything you eat like a sponge

Fuel consumption is not a binary process. It is not off or on. At any given time of any moment throughout the day your body is relying on different sources of fuel for different energy demands and different organs.

Even if it was, I'd still tell someone that it matters very very little whether you get on a treadmill three times a day for 20 minutes versus one time a day for 60. In the bigger scheme of things, the difference will be completely negligible, and might even favor the shorter bursts. Don't think about what your body is burning for energy. It's just a waste of time. Instead, just use up energy and then focus on what energy you are consuming during the day and what hormones you are manipulating during that energy consumption.

Another thing. Glycogen stores take a long long time to burn through. I think people way over estimate how easy it is to deplete them. But the thing is, depending on your body, that glycogen might purposefully be saved in favor of fat utilization and/or protein use. So again, you might think you've drained it all, but your body started holding onto it for a few different reasons (one is the brain prefers glucose and the brain gets what it wants).

It also matters greatly what level of work you are doing. If you can talk while you're doing it, your body will be able to provide a steady stream of energy through beta-oxidation of fatty acids. If you start working in the range where you are not able to have a conversation you are starting to push yourself into the anaerobic glycolytic pathway, which as the name suggests, means you will need to have some glycogen on hand to use for energy.

But even then, getting caught up in what your body is using at any particular time for energy is missing the overall point. What you should be focused on is the overall amount of energy used period. I'm not going to go into epoc (post exercise oxygen consumption) because it is largely up for debate how important that is. Ultimately what matters is that you are burning as many calories as possible, regardless of the fuel source (and please don't get lost in the "cardio will eat all your muscle away in just three sessions!!!" crowd).

But the first most important thing you should be doing is monitoring what your hormonal signals within your body is doing with the food you are continuing to eat at this time. I'm not talking about androgens here, although they certainly benefit us. I'm talking about insulin and I'm asking it to shut the hell up.

More important than whether you are burning fat in the first 20 minutes of your cardio workout is the idea of what are you doing with the energy coming into your system? What kind of hormonal signals are you sending to your body?

Even a solid cardio workout at best will burn about 300-450 calories, and that can be undone with little effort by not only consuming extra calories, but more importantly, activating your fat storage hormones and telling the body it's time to put away for the "Winter".

So if you're still with me, OP. Do cardio when you can. Do as much as you can do with the time you have. If you are concerned about fat loss and have a lot to lose, concern yourself less with energy utilization and more with energy consumption, and hormonal manipulation. Most of here already know that cardio is great for the heart, it gives us a little edge in the leanness department, but that diet will almost always dictate how we look and feel.

Now go do 20 minutes of cardio and kick some ass.

I think diet plays a role in all this.
Dave has mentioned his thoughts on the first 20min of cardio but he also says that when your in ketosis your burnin fat regardless.
When consuming carbs for an energy source It would make sense your burning glycogen off but your body does burn fat during that process also, it's not going to take it from just carbs etc.
I would agree more fat is used after the 20 min mark since if you run out of carbs then obv you need fat for fuel.
Then again the old saying goes "calorie in calorie out" so I wouldn't worry so much just get it in regardless

-FF

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

about the only thing i actually remember from health in college was that the body takes 15-20 mins before it starts to utilize fat as energy when doing cardio, but what FF states is true and that is why it is important that when you do fasted cardio you do not eat for at least 2 hours afterwards as your body is burning stored fat...

Lots of bro science here....hopefully people reread discoherent's post...

Dave palumbo has been shown to be wrong on a lot of things...I remeber reading a study where 3 10 minute sessions actually burned more fat than one 30 minute session. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear