over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

MY VIEWS ON TRAINING

Magnum

Kilo Klub Member
Registered
It has been asked a million times and I am sure it will be a million more. What is the best way to workout to get bigger muscle. I'm talking about bigger muscles not getting stronger (like a powerlifter) although one does get stronger from resistence exercise. I can't tell you how many times that I have been asked the question, should I lift real heavy and low reps to get big then up my reps to cut up? I get so frustrated, not because of ones ignorance, because people just starting out are in the learning phase, but I still hear this from seasoned guys who should know better. I remember years ago when I first started out, reading an article by Roger Estep (RIP) in Muscle and Fitness. He was a powerlifter, but was built like a bodybuilder. I recall him saying that when he got ready for a photoshoot he lifted more like a bodybuider. He said that come time when he was getting ready for a meet he lost size although he was a lot stronger. He said that you would sacrfice size for strength. This confused the hell out of me since I thought the stronger I got the bigger I got. This coming from one the best ever powerlifters ever, but I still didn't get it. I've seen some pretty damn stronger guys who were not that big, in fact some didn't even look like they lifted. Even so I plugged away at trying to out lift my two training partners while gaining a little size although not near as much as I did when I changed my lifting habits.

A lot of talk lately as to the best way to grow. Should one do low reps, say 4 to 6 reps or even lower? Very heavy weight of course, or should one do high reps say 12 to 15 or in extreme cases much higher say 100 reps, but of course light weight. What is the objective from a workout or better question yet, from a series of sets done for a single body part? I guess the most obvious and simple answer would be to stimulate growth. This sounds so simple, but for some reason it's not and for more than one reason it seems. Let's use two different examples as to how someone would do and exercise say bench press.

In the first example this person would do the 5 sets after doing say 2 warm ups. These sets are done with a decent amount of rest between sets say a couple minutes or more. The reps range starts out at say 10 and gets lower with each set as the weight goes up, last set somewhere around 5 reps or so. This particular group of sets would be considered someone who is lifting "heavy" wanting to get big and strong. Emphasis is on how many reps you can get and or doing more reps than the last workout. I want to emphasize here that there are many many different ways this type of "heavy" workout can be done. There is rest pause, pyramiding, up and down the rack ect. Most of the time you go to faliure on at least a of couple sets or even more. This type of workout puts a lot of stress on ones body and you will often hear about guys taking a resting break from such a workout as it is not something that can be done all the time, question is why? Shouldn't a body part be able to recover from a workout until the next, and if not then why. Some will say that their joints need a break as the constant heavy weight low reps put a strain on their joints. Is it ever a good idea to over stress the joints? So the muscle is recovered, but not the joint? If something is not recovering from week to week and it's not the muscle and after a few weeks you have to quit then somewthing is wrong with your training! Does it really take destroying ones joints to make a muscle adapt to stress? I also hear time and again guys say how tired they are after lifting like this for 4 to 6 weeks. Well, along with this type of lifting comes other types of stress, like stress on the CNS and the adrenal glands. After so many weeks of going to failure you are usually pretty burnt out not only physically, but also mentally as well. Usually these type of workouts start out good, but quickly turn into one starting to back slide and ending with a crash.

How many times I hear, bro I did 350 on bench a personal best and someone leg pressing 1200 pounds and unfortunately I also hear bro I tore my pec or I blew out my knee leg pressing 1500 pounds. I know at least a dozen guys who have either ripped a pec and tore their quads going super heavy and the funny thing is none of them looked as good as some of the pros who trained smart and stimulated the muscle into growing and not trying to destroy it with ego lifting. Some of these guys I knew had pretty good genetics too. So how come you never see anyone who can lift 3 times more weight than some of the best bodybuilders, get nearly as big or developed as some of the guys from years ago or even today. I'm talking about some top guys and there are more than you think who lift with lighter (not light) weights and higher reps with good form, instead of going to failure on each set, stimulate growth thru a series of sets that progressivley get harder and ending with such a burn and pump you are lucky to be able to scratch our head when done. Just because you "fail" to get a weight up doesn't mean that you have stimulated growth. This is the biggest misconception of all!!!!!!

So on to the next example and this time I'll use legs. I'm going to use myself as an example just because it's easier. Even though I'm not into getting as big as possible anymore it's still kinda tuff to not train hard, I still have somewhat of that old mentallity. Depending on how I feel I may start out with leg extentions. I'll put about 90 pounds and do about 30 reps. I will continue to add 20 per sets for about 8 sets. As far as rest periods go I'll hardly rest at all the first few sets maybe 20 seconds. I can usually finish 8 sets in about 6 to 7 minutes. My frontal quads are pretty fried by now and I'm off to legpress. Here I'll do about 5 sets and rest about a min. or slightly more. I keep my reps at around 15 although there are times I go up to 30 depending on how I feel. Lastly I will do about 4 sets of some type of leg curl, again same rules apply and again reps are about 10 to 12. I rest long enough betweeen sets so I get my breath but not so long as to lose my pump in anyway. The thing is you do not want to fail because you are out of breath, this may get some getting used to, but not long. I usually train alone and I don't mess around. I have a job to do and that's to train my muscle hard and fast and to the point of exhaustion. At times I can't move my legs that well the rest of the evening. This type of training in a way is instinctual as far as how long to rest and what weight to use. There are times I go up on one set and then down another and back up. Doesn't matter to me as long as I am fatiguing the muscle. That's enough for now. Hope some of you found my own personal views somewhat useful.

Great read. Always have heard alot about your training methods, and now it's cool knowing what your views are.

It has been asked a million times and I am sure it will be a million more. What is the best way to workout to get bigger muscle. I'm talking about bigger muscles not getting stronger (like a powerlifter) although one does get stronger from resistence exercise. I can't tell you how many times that I have been asked the question, should I lift real heavy and low reps to get big then up my reps to cut up? I get so frustrated, not because of ones ignorance, because people just starting out are in the learning phase, but I still hear this from seasoned guys who should know better. I remember years ago when I first started out, reading an article by Roger Estep (RIP) in Muscle and Fitness. He was a powerlifter, but was built like a bodybuilder. I recall him saying that when he got ready for a photoshoot he lifted more like a bodybuider. He said that come time when he was getting ready for a meet he lost size although he was a lot stronger. He said that you would sacrfice size for strength. This confused the hell out of me since I thought the stronger I got the bigger I got. This coming from one the best ever powerlifters ever, but I still didn't get it. I've seen some pretty damn stronger guys who were not that big, in fact some didn't even look like they lifted. Even so I plugged away at trying to out lift my two training partners while gaining a little size although not near as much as I did when I changed my lifting habits.

A lot of talk lately as to the best way to grow. Should one do low reps, say 4 to 6 reps or even lower? Very heavy weight of course, or should one do high reps say 12 to 15 or in extreme cases much higher say 100 reps, but of course light weight. What is the objective from a workout or better question yet, from a series of sets done for a single body part? I guess the most obvious and simple answer would be to stimulate growth. This sounds so simple, but for some reason it's not and for more than one reason it seems. Let's use two different examples as to how someone would do and exercise say bench press.

In the first example this person would do the 5 sets after doing say 2 warm ups. These sets are done with a decent amount of rest between sets say a couple minutes or more. The reps range starts out at say 10 and gets lower with each set as the weight goes up, last set somewhere around 5 reps or so. This particular group of sets would be considered someone who is lifting "heavy" wanting to get big and strong. Emphasis is on how many reps you can get and or doing more reps than the last workout. I want to emphasize here that there are many many different ways this type of "heavy" workout can be done. There is rest pause, pyramiding, up and down the rack ect. Most of the time you go to faliure on at least a of couple sets or even more. This type of workout puts a lot of stress on ones body and you will often hear about guys taking a resting break from such a workout as it is not something that can be done all the time, question is why? Shouldn't a body part be able to recover from a workout until the next, and if not then why. Some will say that their joints need a break as the constant heavy weight low reps put a strain on their joints. Is it ever a good idea to over stress the joints? So the muscle is recovered, but not the joint? If something is not recovering from week to week and it's not the muscle and after a few weeks you have to quit then somewthing is wrong with your training! Does it really take destroying ones joints to make a muscle adapt to stress? I also hear time and again guys say how tired they are after lifting like this for 4 to 6 weeks. Well, along with this type of lifting comes other types of stress, like stress on the CNS and the adrenal glands. After so many weeks of going to failure you are usually pretty burnt out not only physically, but also mentally as well. Usually these type of workouts start out good, but quickly turn into one starting to back slide and ending with a crash.

How many times I hear, bro I did 350 on bench a personal best and someone leg pressing 1200 pounds and unfortunately I also hear bro I tore my pec or I blew out my knee leg pressing 1500 pounds. I know at least a dozen guys who have either ripped a pec and tore their quads going super heavy and the funny thing is none of them looked as good as some of the pros who trained smart and stimulated the muscle into growing and not trying to destroy it with ego lifting. Some of these guys I knew had pretty good genetics too. So how come you never see anyone who can lift 3 times more weight than some of the best bodybuilders, get nearly as big or developed as some of the guys from years ago or even today. I'm talking about some top guys and there are more than you think who lift with lighter (not light) weights and higher reps with good form, instead of going to failure on each set, stimulate growth thru a series of sets that progressivley get harder and ending with such a burn and pump you are lucky to be able to scratch our head when done. Just because you "fail" to get a weight up doesn't mean that you have stimulated growth. This is the biggest misconception of all!!!!!!

So on to the next example and this time I'll use legs. I'm going to use myself as an example just because it's easier. Even though I'm not into getting as big as possible anymore it's still kinda tuff to not train hard, I still have somewhat of that old mentallity. Depending on how I feel I may start out with leg extentions. I'll put about 90 pounds and do about 30 reps. I will continue to add 20 per sets for about 8 sets. As far as rest periods go I'll hardly rest at all the first few sets maybe 20 seconds. I can usually finish 8 sets in about 6 to 7 minutes. My frontal quads are pretty fried by now and I'm off to legpress. Here I'll do about 5 sets and rest about a min. or slightly more. I keep my reps at around 15 although there are times I go up to 30 depending on how I feel. Lastly I will do about 4 sets of some type of leg curl, again same rules apply and again reps are about 10 to 12. I rest long enough betweeen sets so I get my breath but not so long as to lose my pump in anyway. The thing is you do not want to fail because you are out of breath, this may get some getting used to, but not long. I usually train alone and I don't mess around. I have a job to do and that's to train my muscle hard and fast and to the point of exhaustion. At times I can't move my legs that well the rest of the evening. This type of training in a way is instinctual as far as how long to rest and what weight to use. There are times I go up on one set and then down another and back up. Doesn't matter to me as long as I am fatiguing the muscle. That's enough for now. Hope some of you found my own personal views somewhat useful.

i don't think any excersize or muscle group needs 30 reps of anything. why not a heavier weight and attack the fast twitch muscle fibers and not exhaust your body by beating it up with so many sets. provide enough stimulus to promote growth but not too much cuz you want your body to recover. thats alot of sets and alot of reps and you mentioned you "train your muscles hard and fast" sounds like a long workout. i hate to see what you think is a long workout out YIKES. sounds like training for endurance and not size/strength.
no doubt i bet it can work but i think same results can be gained by upping weight a little and lowering volume. why do more when you can do less and get same results. i thought mike mentzer, phil hernon and DC to a lesser extent have proven less is more in some aspects... -
do any current top tier bodybuilders train this way? -JS

Last edited:
read between the lines guys

this thread is priceless

thanks magnum

:)

VERY VERY Good info here Magnum. I noticed a HUGE guy at the gym the other day training bicepts. He was only curling 40 lbs on the easy curl bar (This guy looked like he could curl the 100 ez curl bar). But he had his back up against the mirror and was using very very strict form. No swinging the weight, no shoulder help, no body motion at all. I talked to him after he was finished and he said this is how he always works out. He is in total control and feels the muscle contracting. I have since watched him train other body parts and its the same. Slow and in control. No body motion at all in any exercises. This was a very huge man.

Great write up as well

How about a nutrition one as well....:p

VERY VERY Good info here Magnum. I noticed a HUGE guy at the gym the other day training bicepts. He was only curling 40 lbs on the easy curl bar (This guy looked like he could curl the 100 ez curl bar). But he had his back up against the mirror and was using very very strict form. No swinging the weight, no shoulder help, no body motion at all. I talked to him after he was finished and he said this is how he always works out. He is in total control and feels the muscle contracting. I have since watched him train other body parts and its the same. Slow and in control. No body motion at all in any exercises. This was a very huge man.

Great write up as well

How about a nutrition one as well....:p

x2 on the nutrition one ha..:p

i don't think any excersize or muscle group needs 30 reps of anything. why not a heavier weight and attack the fast twitch muscle fibers and not exhaust your body by beating it up with so many sets. provide enough stimulus to promote growth but not too much cuz you want your body to recover. thats alot of sets and alot of reps and you mentioned you "train your muscles hard and fast" sounds like a long workout. i hate to see what you think is a long workout out YIKES. sounds like training for endurance and not size/strength.
no doubt i bet it can work but i think same results can be gained by upping weight a little and lowering volume. why do more when you can do less and get same results. i thought mike mentzer, phil hernon and DC to a lesser extent have proven less is more in some aspects... -

Whose bigger, you or Magnum? Throw up some pics...

Ummmmmm

I know both of these guys........I know Magnum does not want to be big anymore......I also know JOHNNYSMILES is probably what you would call a FREAK if you knew who he is..probably the biggest/leanest guy on this site..so it is humorous to me to see you ask for a picture because you never know who you are speaking to....I will leave it at that and no I am not telling you who he is........out of respect to him.

i might be bigger...? don't know how big magnum is. thats not really the point how bout look how big phil hernon is/was and he didn't and doesn't train that way. he trains the way i described.

thanks for the kind words Phil. i still have work to do...

oh, and it is a good read. always good to share what works and nothing wrong with a healthy debate. i have nothing but respect for Magnum. we are lucky he shared what he believes about training. -JS

Last edited:
As the other thread here is talking about, legs may respond better to higher reps. Do you use the same rep ranges on other muscle groups?

This sounds kinda like Vince Gironda's 8 sets of 8 routine. Or German Volume Training 10 sets of 10. Or FST-7's 7 sets of 10.

For sure works well to get a visually larger muscle from pump, glycogen and swelling, but I do think there's a whole other 'look' with bodybuilders who lifts heavy or did so when they started out. Ronnie Coleman comes to mind. And Dorian Yates, obviously. The injury aspect is something to keep in mind, I agree on that - but a stronger muscle IS a bigger muscle, that doesn't imply you have to lift in the 1-5RM range all the time, though. You can cycle rep ranges within the week, as many studies on nonlinear periodization have shown (e.g. for chest, 15-20 reps on Monday, 10-12 reps on Friday, 5-8 reps on Wednesday etc).

its all intensity. Maybe it takes Magnum that many sets to exhaust his muscles. I, for one, along with many others on here, couldn't imagine doing more than 5 sets for a bodypart. By the time I hit the end of a rest pause or my 3rd straight set of an exercise and put all ive got into it, I'm done. Never mind doing 2 MORE exercises with the same intensity. But everyone's different.

The workout is 13 sets for quads and 4 for hamstrings and takes me about 27 minutes. That to you is a lot of sets? I'm also going to assume that most guys on here train there legs for longer then 30 minutes.

As the other thread here is talking about, legs may respond better to higher reps. Do you use the same rep ranges on other muscle groups?

This sounds kinda like Vince Gironda's 8 sets of 8 routine. Or German Volume Training 10 sets of 10. Or FST-7's 7 sets of 10.

For sure works well to get a visually larger muscle from pump, glycogen and swelling, but I do think there's a whole other 'look' with bodybuilders who lifts heavy or did so when they started out. Ronnie Coleman comes to mind. And Dorian Yates, obviously. The injury aspect is something to keep in mind, I agree on that - but a stronger muscle IS a bigger muscle, that doesn't imply you have to lift in the 1-5RM range all the time, though. You can cycle rep ranges within the week, as many studies on nonlinear periodization have shown (e.g. for chest, 15-20 reps on Monday, 10-12 reps on Friday, 5-8 reps on Wednesday etc).

I average 12 to 15 reps for upper body not to say that I have never done 8 or 10 rep and it's also not to say that I have never taken a set to 20 reps on occasion, but not often for upper body.

I happen to know a guy who trained in the same gym as Platz when he was at his peak. I also have some tapes of him working out back in the mid 80's and the tapes confirm what my friend told me. Tom would not count sets or even reps. He took a certain weight and just went crazy with it. For example he took 35 pound DB's and in his opinion that was the perfect weight for him. He did incline DB curls and while watching his set I thought for a second it would never freaking end. I will dig the tape out sometime, but I lost track of how many reps him did. His set lasted around 3 min or so. He definitely did high reps and at the time Tom was so big he looked cartoonish. I'm not sure what you mean by visually bigger muscles from "swelling" but I don't think that anyone would look at Tom and say his muscle looked like anything, but granite.

Well, for any bodybuilder who grew on lots of volume, I can show you one who didn't get anything or who grew on higher weights and less volume. I think the results of DC speaks for itself in that regard, although not just heavy weights or not low volume per se, the focus is on some heavy compound lifting and progressive loading, mixed with some higher rep stuff with a moderate volume. Dante has spoken of bodybuilders who came to him from the typical volume approach, then grew better and got stronger on DC training - went back to volume training, but always seemed to come back to DC.

There are two factors which are fairly important for muscle growth, the first and probably the most important one being a high fiber recruitment, and secondly a certain amount of time to let the load do its work at that fiber recruitment level (sets x reps = volume).

The first is achieved either by heavy loads (5-8RM loads you have close to 100% recruitment from rep 1), or by approaching failure with lighter loads. If you don't reach that point on the first set, you should - as in your method - keep rest periods short to get there within a few sets. To get there faster, you can go close to failure on the first set, then use either rest-pause or dropsets to stay at a high fiber recruitment but get in sufficient work/volume.

Heavy loads doesn't allow a lot of volume, but it doesn't really require it either with the high fiber recruitment and the high mechanical tension inherent. Lighter loads most likely require a lot of volume to give a proper stimulus, but it lacks the mechanical tension so there are probably a few pathways you're missing out on if only doing light high volume stuff or only doing heavy stuff. Both older and newer studies have confirmed this, hypertrophy is better if you lift both heavy and light loads vs. only heavy or only light loads. Hypertrophy can be impaired if you do too much volume, which is why you have to be aware of your own body and what it can tolerate.

Intensity, isn't defined by how hard you're subjectively training in the literature btw - that's more commonly referred to as Rating of Perceived Effort (RPE). Intensity is measured by how close to your 1 rep max you're lifting. Just so we can operate under the same terminology.

So the way I see it, you should either

1. Cycle from heavier loads to lighter moderate-high volume training from workout to workout (see nonlinear periodization).
2. Do a few heavy sets combined with lighter back-off sets or drop sets such as in Phil's training program (his old one) or DC training (widowmakers). DC training also cycles loading parameters by varying exercises and RP ranges from workout to workout.

Which one you choose depends on what your goals are and what you respond to, it takes years of experience and experimentation to know what works for you - but it still has to operate within a framework of effective training methods and have a built-in progression vs. jumping from one program to the other according to which way the wind blows, obviously.

I find the high volume approach that you talk about here, and found in various other training methods, to be interesting and probably very productive to use as part of a training cycle, but not exclusively and in lieu of some occasional heavy compound lifting.

Good points made all around

Clearly there are many ways to skin a cat. If I had to stay with one method forever it would probably state to do 2 heavy (6-8) reps followed by one higher rep set. All in all you would get around 25 reps in total. I don't think that it is a fluke that 5x5, 3x8, DC etc all seem to get around that amount of reps. The important thing is that intensity should be high while still being safe and not completely smashing central nervous system to pieces.

I agree that moving heavy weight using the mentality that anything to move the weight from point A to point B is the fast lane to injury. That being said heavy is all relative. What I mean by that is that by using a controlled negative (most of mine are four count) you will be using a weight that is "heavy" while also being completely in control. As long as the rep speed is the same and you are progressively getting stronger while eating an excess of calories it has been my experience that you will grow quickly and safely.

Now as far as needing to take time out of the gym to recover I am a firm believer in this practice. Not only are you letting your muscles COMPLETELY recover but you are also letting your mind have a break. This practice is how you can continue to get progressively stronger (and bigger) while staying as safe as possible.

There is always a risk when handling heavy poundage's (even when you are strong enough) but those small risks are accompanied with great gains and thick dense muscle.

I know both of these guys........I know Magnum does not want to be big anymore......I also know JOHNNYSMILES is probably what you would call a FREAK if you knew who he is..probably the biggest/leanest guy on this site..so it is humorous to me to see you ask for a picture because you never know who you are speaking to....I will leave it at that and no I am not telling you who he is........out of respect to him.

I figured that out at about the time when I hit "enter". I must have been out of it last night. Im usually not one to stir the pot :)

Anyhow, it's safe to say they are both bigger than me. I know there are many ways to skin a cat and just appreciate people being more open about their methods than they uisually are.

I think what made me type that is on another thread I saw a guy (and its happend a bunch) who give all this criticism and then a picture will fly up of them and they dont even look like they train Lol

What's funnier is I will see the pic in a thread dogging diet or training or supp use and then you will see the pic and they type, "Im one Test E 750 mgs and Tren 100mgs eod with dbol 50 grams for 6 weeks"

Now on the other hand many times the teacher isnt the student, I mean Charles Glass at this time isnt exactly 260 shredded, or Ian King or etc...

So I get it, again my apologies for being a douche bag...

i might be bigger...? don't know how big magnum is. thats not really the point how bout look how big phil hernon is/was and he didn't and doesn't train that way. he trains the way i described.

thanks for the kind words Phil. i still have work to do...

oh, and it is a good read. always good to share what works and nothing wrong with a healthy debate. i have nothing but respect for Magnum. we are lucky he shared what he believes about training. -JS

I figured that out at about the time when I hit "enter". I must have been out of it last night. Im usually not one to stir the pot :)

Anyhow, it's safe to say they are both bigger than me. I know there are many ways to skin a cat and just appreciate people being more open about their methods than they uisually are.

I think what made me type that is on another thread I saw a guy (and its happend a bunch) who give all this criticism and then a picture will fly up of them and they dont even look like they train Lol

What's funnier is I will see the pic in a thread dogging diet or training or supp use and then you will see the pic and they type, "Im one Test E 750 mgs and Tren 100mgs eod with dbol 50 grams for 6 weeks"

Now on the other hand many times the teacher isnt the student, I mean Charles Glass at this time isnt exactly 260 shredded, or Ian King or etc...

So I get it, again my apologies for being a douche bag...

thanks magnum for your post. as an old guy (38) who has been at this for a long time i can certainly relate to sore joints and being tired and fatigued from heavy training and training to/past failure. shorter rest times and less weight are ways that old men like myself can still train and be productive i think. i still like to train with some serious weight untill those negative side effects catch up and then i'll go the method you described in your original post.
thanks again, doug

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
ATP44
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner