over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Full Body: One set to failure (daily) training / My Experience

Flex500

Registered
Hi Everyone-

There are some great threads (see below for links and also buried in the "pic you took today" thread) related to full body daily training. I've been doing it off and on and have stuck with it for around 6 months straight so wanted to share my experience as many have asked. @b-boy is the one that made me curious about it and has many posts on this. I've tried it off and on over the years, but this is the first time I really stuck with it.

Premise: Complete a full body workout everyday, as many days in a row as you can until you need a break. For me, I usually am able to go anywhere from 5 to 12 days in a row. Use progressive overload to progress day to day and each set is done to failure (but not beyond).

What's the benefits? In simplest terms, you are spreading your volume horizontally throughout the week, theoretically having more opportunities to grow instead of "bombing" a body part once or twice a week, you hit it 5-7 times a week and just enough to prompt a response.

Does it have to be truly every single day? No, on average I'm probably more like 5-6 days a week. You don't have to follow anyone's arbitrary rules, but the idea is for it to be highest frequency possible.

Who is this best for? I'm not sure, tbh. I decided to do it after a long time of no trt and reduced training and wanted to get my body back quickly at 40 years old. As I pondered it, a high intensity / high frequency / lower volume routine seemed the fastest route.

Train to Failure or RIR: Failure. One set. This is not the Jeff Nippard program of non failure full body training 5x a week. I take each set to failure, but not beyond.

How may movements are you doing? I usually do anywhere from 5 as the low and up to 12

How do you pick the movements in each workout? This is where individual variation and preference kicks in. I've stuck with the exact same movements until I can't progress and then sub one out. Conversely, I've had a Day 1, 2, and 3 schedule that I rotate. I don't really know what I like best at this point.

How long do these take / won't it take forever to warm up / My tendons would be killing me!: This is where it gets interesting and where most people don't try this or just get "stuck" and / or end up with injuries. You must train differently!
  • I do a 10 minute warmup on a bike, a walk, jump rope, etc. and then some bodyweight squats, pushups, and band pull aparts
  • The workouts were taking me ~60-75 minutes, but now I'm down to around 35-45 minutes (yes you read that right)
  • My joints feel the best they ever have, in fact my injuries have healed. You can't muscle f*** the weights. It is imperative you do slow, methodical, controlled reps (IMO). I do NOT mean "pump work" or super slow, low tension training. I mean extremely high tension sets with a 3-5 second cadence on the concentric and eccentric portion and a nice squeeze/pause and slow transition. People get hurt from the fast transitions from concentric to eccentric and vice versa that is quite literally what causes the tendon strain and pain. If you complete that transition slow, you will not get hurt. There is zero...let me repeat...ZERO momentum at all in the reps from the first to last rep.
    • Training like this will also radically limit the amount of warmups you need. Think of someone who can touch and go bench 365 like a piston. Now instead, they do 2-4 second concentric, 3-5 eccentric and have a full pause at the bottom etc.

Can you put on substantial muscle this way? You know...I don't know. My assumption is that with food, sleep, and drugs in order and you do this carefully, yes. It's essentially progressive overload and these are not high volume daily sessions.
  • Do not start adding sets and doing 3x10 or anything like that. If you start doing 2 hour workouts and 40 sets it's not hard to see a situation where you actually risk losing muscle. If you stick to one set, you are good.

Your Verdict: I'm going to keep doing it. I have an insanely stressful and busy job so the reason I like this is because when I work from home I can train in my home gym everyday, but if I'm on the road and I can only get in 3-4 sessions a week...that's ok too because even on a bad week, I'm hitting everything 3-4 times in a week.

Other Items to Consider / Discussion Points
  • I'm on "standard-ish" trt....50-70mgs M/W/F at this point so it's not a must to be on a ton of drugs...that said...
  • I'm eating more. I was going to cut down and then gain, but I need to freaking eat. I am so hungry on this plan. You need to make sure you eat enough, but you also don't want to go overboard. I've focused on protein overfeeding and am around 3,500 calories a day (my normal maintenance is ~3,000). I think if your drugs are low, you need to be eating enough to make up for it. Being natural + cutting + poor sleep + high stress and you'd be screwed on this routine. Even for me with high stress weeks I cut it to 4 workouts a week.
  • The discussion of how this really impacts hypertrophy has come up on other boards. It absolutely will drive sarcoplasmic hypertrophy because you are lifting daily. Your muscles will look full and it's a great cosmetic effect. However...if you stick to failure training, very high tension, I'm 100% convinced it will drive myofibrillar hypertophy (real tissue growth). What you need to be careful of is turning this isn't a "fluff and pump" routine.
    • Not joking here...I've had a few friends try this and they literally ended up doing pump work and basically gained no actual tissue. This ain't that!

Here was yesterdays session: On my next post I'm going to walk through how the workout actually works. I don't know why, but I always start with legs as well but that's just a personal preference thing.
  1. Leg Curls
  2. Sissy squat (on a sissy squat machine)
  3. Squats
  4. Calves
  5. Deadlift (I only DL 1-2 times a week)
  6. BB Row
  7. Weighted Pushups
  8. Dips
  9. Side Laterals
  10. BB Curls

https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...-one-set-per-bodypart-per-day-workout.163007/
https://www.professionalmuscle.com/...ining-every-body-part-6-7-days-a-week.166154/

I'll post some videos, pictures, etc. I just wanted to get the ball rolling as a ton have reached out asking about this. Thanks again @b-boy for all the data as I've used some of his recommendations while implementing my own.

So keep in mind I was coming off no trt and a semi de-trained starting point (which I get wife pregnant). So I could have done a lot of different things that could have worked.

I log all my test doses and during the 16 weeks below (week 1 vs week 12 vs week 16) I was on anywhere from 70mgs a week up to 275mgs at the max of test. I did take pre workout dianabol (5-10mgs) and an occasional 10mgs winstrol.

It did seem like my body made rapid changes and I do believe the high frequency workouts helped that move faster. Gosh I don't remember my weight I think it was around 215 / 220 / 225-230 in the pics below.

Attachments

• IMG_4822.jpeg
    IMG_4822.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 210
Here is how an actual workout plays out...

• Warm-up jumping rope, pushups, and band pull aparts (5 min)
  • Leg Warmup = Squats 135 x 20, 225 x 10, 275 x 5 (3 minutes)
    • 1-2 minute break
  • Leg Curl (no warmup needed) = 7 reps; 5 second negative, squeeze, 5 second positive (90 seconds)
    • 1 minute rest
  • Sissy squat to failure (no warmup needed) (1 minute)
    • 2 minute break
  • Squats 315 + 60 lbs chains (no additional warmups needed): 10 reps (90 seconds)
    • 1 minute break
  • 1 leg calf raises 2 minutes
    • 3-5 minute break
  • Deadlift 315lbs warmup, 415 X 18 work set (4 minutes total)
    • 2 minute break
  • Neutral Grip Pulldown (no warmup needed): 8 reps (2 minutes)
    • 2 minute break
  • Dips (bw warmup): 45lb chains on neck X 10 reps (very slow reps...this will save your shoulders on dips!) (90 seconds)
    • 2 minute break
  • Pushups no warmup needed (legs up and hands on two blocks, very deep) 40 pound weight vest X 12 reps (2 minutes)
    • 2 minute break
  • BB Curl: 95 X 10 reps (90 seconds)

I think total this ended up taking me around 38 minutes or so. All the times above are approximate, but are pretty close.

Here is how an actual workout plays out...

• Warm-up jumping rope, pushups, and band pull aparts (5 min)
  • Leg Warmup = Squats 135 x 20, 225 x 10, 275 x 5 (3 minutes)
    • 1-2 minute break
  • Leg Curl (no warmup needed) = 7 reps; 5 second negative, squeeze, 5 second positive (90 seconds)
    • 1 minute rest
  • Sissy squat to failure (no warmup needed) (1 minute)
    • 2 minute break
  • Squats 315 + 60 lbs chains (no additional warmups needed): 10 reps (90 seconds)
    • 1 minute break
  • 1 leg calf raises 2 minutes
    • 3-5 minute break
  • Deadlift 315lbs warmup, 415 X 18 work set (4 minutes total)
    • 2 minute break
  • Neutral Grip Pulldown (no warmup needed): 8 reps (2 minutes)
    • 2 minute break
  • Dips (bw warmup): 45lb chains on neck X 10 reps (very slow reps...this will save your shoulders on dips!) (90 seconds)
    • 2 minute break
  • Pushups no warmup needed (legs up and hands on two blocks, very deep) 40 pound weight vest X 12 reps (2 minutes)
    • 2 minute break
  • BB Curl: 95 X 10 reps (90 seconds)

I think total this ended up taking me around 38 minutes or so. All the times above are approximate, but are pretty close.

Been looking forward to this thread!! Thank you for the detailed information.

Are you using 5 second negative, squeeze, 5 second positive on all exercises? I'm assuming not on Deadlifts but what about the other exercises.

Thanks

Been looking forward to this thread!! Thank you for the detailed information.

Are you using 5 second negative, squeeze, 5 second positive on all exercises? I'm assuming not on Deadlifts but what about the other exercises.

Thanks

It really depends on the movement. Leg curls, for instance have such a large ROM that is more like 5-5 whereas the others may be a little faster. I don't try to artificially make it "super slow" it is just very, very deliberate and most important the concentric to eccentric transition is slow. I'll post a video because I think when I post things like this people (not you, just in general) often say "oh that's not enough tension with the super slow stuff". It is 100% not "super slow".

Deadlifts are a bit different. Think of the way JP does them if you follow his Instagram. Controlled, but there is still only so much you can do on a deadlift.

Great write up. Very interesting. Dead’s x18 sounds killer. What will you do next session back wise to ensure you recover from this?
I remember when I ran big beyond and did the 4 day with two full bodies my hunger shot through the roof.

Interesting.

The cadence seems a bit ‘off’ i.m.o.
A slighty slower eccentric than concentric can be beneficial. But a 3-5 second concentric seems pointless i.m.o.

So the premise is to do full body to failure 6-7 days a week until you need a break. So what is your break, like what do you do when taking a break? Just take the next day off and the following go back to training to failure?

Interesting.

The cadence seems a bit ‘off’ i.m.o.
A slighty slower eccentric than concentric can be beneficial. But a 3-5 second concentric seems pointless i.m.o.

Good point, to clarify, I move the concentric so that it feels comfortable, much of where that slows is the transition from eccentric to concentric. In other words most reps come to a complete stop or very slow transition to concentric so it's the transition that takes the time I don't necessarily try to overly slow it otherwise.

Great write up. Very interesting. Dead’s x18 sounds killer. What will you do next session back wise to ensure you recover from this?
I remember when I ran big beyond and did the 4 day with two full bodies my hunger shot through the roof.

Day 2...this is what I did today after what is written in post #2

• General warm up (5 min)
  • Warm up in leg press 2-3 sets (3 minutes)
  • Hyperextensions holding 50 pounds no additional warm up needed (90 seconds or so)
    • 2 minute break
  • Leg Press no additional warm up needed 20 reps (3 minutes)
    • 3 minute break
  • Calves in the leg press
    • 2 minute break
  • Supinated lat pulldowns 2 warmup sets, 1 work set (4 minutes)
    • 2 minute rest
  • Incline BB press 2 warmups sets 1 work set (4 minutes)
    • 1 minute rest
  • Triceps / Rope Pressdown no warmup needed 1 set to failure (90 seconds)

This took about 35-40 minutes. Enough biceps work occurs with the supinated grip pulldown so no direct work. A few less exercises than yesterday and wanted to go a little easy on my low back. Will go back to yesterdays routine tomorrow (which likely will not include deadlifts).

DISCLAIMER:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying this is the best way to built muscle or necessarily superior to any other routine. I think it work, I'm still assessing. I am having fun so I'm just trucking along. I think you could for sure make the case a routine like this would be best performed EOD.

It has been very hard to keep hunger under control that is for sure. So for today I did one back exercise of the vertical pull variety and only one. I did do hyperextensions but really focused on hamstrings and not so much lower back so overall it was an "easy" day on my low back with minimal to no spinal loading.

I'll follow. I just switched to the ol' 2 day DC split after coming back from vacation and feeling like "tuning up" my muscles before hitting it hard with volume and intensity. But I do like what I did with the past two workouts "half body" workouts if u will. Rest pause sets with some straight sets slow negatives and peak form. Hitting 5 "bodyparts" a session is what I needed to keep the volume down which I just love volume so it's been hard not to murder a muscle into failure with tons of sets. Less wear on joints I think this way.

Two Concerns:

• Can you do enough "damage" ie inroad enough on a single set to cause enough of a response to actually gain muscle?
    • To me, this is why it's so important you go to failure, but not far beyond it. It would be very easy to see someone just kind of do pump work, have a nice little pump and that makes them think this training is supporting new growth...but it's not.
  • Going to failure on each movement...everyday? Can you really recover?
    • This is my biggest concern. If you create a deep inroad during training are you really going to be recovered enough to do it again the next day? Gosh...my concern is at best you recover but will you have time to really create new muscle? Again, this is absolutely my biggest concern which is why I actually think doing this type of training 4-5 times a week is best. That said, you are also only doing one single set...

Two Concerns:

• Can you do enough "damage" ie inroad enough on a single set to cause enough of a response to actually gain muscle?
    • To me, this is why it's so important you go to failure, but not far beyond it. It would be very easy to see someone just kind of do pump work, have a nice little pump and that makes them think this training is supporting new growth...but it's not.
  • Going to failure on each movement...everyday? Can you really recover?
    • This is my biggest concern. If you create a deep inroad during training are you really going to be recovered enough to do it again the next day? Gosh...my concern is at best you recover but will you have time to really create new muscle? Again, this is absolutely my biggest concern which is why I actually think doing this type of training 4-5 times a week is best. That said, you are also only doing one single set...
I think that approach e2d would be best with this type of workout but instead doing 1 sets do 2. Just only for this reason - recovery and if one set could be not enough to stimulate second one for sure would do the job.
And for sure i would take hgh before workout.

I think that approach e2d would be best with this type of workout but instead doing 1 sets do 2. Just only for this reason - recovery and if one set could be not enough to stimulate second one for sure would do the job.

I tend to agree and some of the movements I do, it's not really "just one set" per bodypart. IE for legs I do ham curls, leg extension, and a squat or leg press. You are really hitting quads there twice.

I am actually usually sort or at least have a "tight" feeling. Longterm I believe EOD is likely best or even E3D if you are very strong.

What reason for the hgh? Recovery?

I like the writing approach in this thread.

Yesterday I had time to go gym but I decided not to just to keep the rest day in there in between sessions (EOD) hoping that I'll still be strong for the next session today chest delt tri back width back thickness.

I think 2 exercises for a muscle group to failure is def going to push your recovery if your going back to back days at full body. U would need to up the gear to be doing that an expecting to keep up with the demand.

For full body with warm ups, a working set each group, and going to failure? ... its going to take it's toll where the rest day(s) are important in between.

JP did a video on full body workout program if you have seen that yet

What reason for the hgh? Recovery?

I like the writing approach in this thread.

Yesterday I had time to go gym but I decided not to just to keep the rest day in there in between sessions (EOD) hoping that I'll still be strong for the next session today chest delt tri back width back thickness.

I think 2 exercises for a muscle group to failure is def going to push your recovery if your going back to back days at full body. U would need to up the gear to be doing that an expecting to keep up with the demand.

For full body with warm ups, a working set each group, and going to failure? ... its going to take it's toll where the rest day(s) are important in between.

JP did a video on full body workout program if you have seen that yet

Nice post and great points. Here is the video you referenced:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Thiccthighsshan
NapsGear