over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

From bodybuilding to boxing

Spiro

Registered
Newbies
Is there anyone here that made a switch from bodybuilding to boxing (mma,kickbox...)?
Im curious and would like to know how did you fell mentaly, how did your physhigue change, did you lose a lot of muscle, did you start competing in boxing etc...

In my younger days I was pretty heavy on the bodybuilding side - to be frank my youth and underlying level of fitness kept me in great shape.

2013 I made the switch to functional fitness to include competing in Muay Thai.

In all sincerity I wish I never got into bodybuilding in retrospect. Mentally, physically, etc I feel better than I ever did. It’s hard to have a frank conversation about this without offending some but in essence

These are my beliefs/my background

I went into bodybuilding due to body dysmorphia - which I do have to this day. I feel many men are in the same place. Having a good fight gym and community will uplift a person like no other and fill that void.

Bodybuilding is ultimately a useless hobby. Outside of looking good naked it fills no skill based role. Most sports are mirror each others needs - I’ve fought for titles, competed in rugby at the semi pro level for two seasons, done obscene ultra marathons etc but you can still maintain a physique.

This is a very large open ended question so unsure where to go from here man.

My heaviest I was around 260 at 15-18%
Now I float around 215-220 off-season at 11%

Strength has remained the same
Good programming is absolutely paramount

In my younger days I was pretty heavy on the bodybuilding side - to be frank my youth and underlying level of fitness kept me in great shape.

In all sincerity I wish I never got into bodybuilding in retrospect. Mentally, physically, etc I feel better than I ever did. It’s hard to have a frank conversation about this without offending some but in essence

I went into bodybuilding due to body dysmorphia - which I do have to this day. I feel many men are in the same place. Having a good fight gym and community will uplift a person like no other and fill that void.

Bodybuilding is ultimately a useless hobby. Outside of looking good naked it fills no skill based role. Most sports are mirror each others needs - I’ve fought for titles, competed in rugby at the semi pro level for two seasons, done obscene ultra marathons etc but you can still maintain a physique.

Exactly what goes through my mind about bodybuilding, and i love boxing i started as a kid and trained boxing for 6 years but ended up in gym because as you say body dismorphia.
Do you still lift weights when you made the switch or did you just do muay thai?

Exactly what goes through my mind about bodybuilding, and i love boxing i started as a kid and trained boxing for 6 years but ended up in gym because as you say body dismorphia.
Do you still lift weights when you made the switch or did you just do muay thai?

Still lift weights - I have a baseline of fitness I need to maintain for miscellaneous events and my own ego to be honest. I maintain a 600 squat, 600 dead and 6 min mile year round. It may ebb and flow a little bit but never by much.

I’ve been pretty big into Hyrox and Deka Fit the past few years.

I still enjoy being a bigger guy and strong as hell but just size for the sake of size - hard pass for me personally.

BigDaveSmith on here does MMA and he is a huge guy.

Still lift weights - I have a baseline of fitness I need to maintain for miscellaneous events and my own ego to be honest. I maintain a 600 squat, 600 dead and 6 min mile year round. It may ebb and flow a little bit but never by much.

I’ve been pretty big into Hyrox and Deka Fit the past few years.

I still enjoy being a bigger guy and strong as hell but just size for the sake of size - hard pass for me personally.
Im thinking of just focus purely on boxing 5 times per week, im pretty OCD and dont know how would i do both weightlifitng and boxing so for me im thinkihg just box. And anyway we would probably do some exploaive strenght weightlifting in one of the boxing training
Ty mate for responding

Dropping strength training isn’t something I would advise. Look at programming from trainers like Phil Daru - who specialize in hybrid athletes.

Not bodybuilder workouts but high functional and specific training.

Dropping strength training isn’t something I would advise. Look at programming from trainers like Phil Daru - who specialize in hybrid athletes.

Not bodybuilder workouts but high functional and specific training.
Right. There are videos showing professional boxers lifting weights along with their usual discipline specific training.

I have multiple state and national titles in taekwondo and multiple black belts (trained jiu jitsu and taekwondo for almost 20 years now).

Love it.

It forces a bit of focus on functionality and fitness, rather than pure obsession with physique.

I’ll say this: anything sort of serious focus on martial arts or sports WILL take away from your physique, if you’re looking to maximize your bodybuilding goals. No way around it, really. But if you’re after general health, maximizing your utility as a human, enjoying new shit, martial arts is excellent. Also amazingly calming.

Most fighters do both.
I did plus road work during strategic periods. AAS use was on the level of 1980 women's BBing dosages when I actually used them. It's good to keep your fingers in the gym. Now long retired from martial arts I bodybuild and do some boxing and grappling drills.

I have multiple state and national titles in taekwondo and multiple black belts (trained jiu jitsu and taekwondo for almost 20 years now).

Love it.

It forces a bit of focus on functionality and fitness, rather than pure obsession with physique.

I’ll say this: anything sort of serious focus on martial arts or sports WILL take away from your physique, if you’re looking to maximize your bodybuilding goals. No way around it, really. But if you’re after general health, maximizing your utility as a human, enjoying new shit, martial arts is excellent. Also amazingly calming.
Yea but you probably looked better than 80% percent of the people when you trained jitsu, i really dont want to looked buffed anymore just atlethic, in shape and fuctional.

Yea but you probably looked better than 80% percent of the people when you trained jitsu, i really dont want to looked buffed anymore just atlethic, in shape and fuctional.
Nailed it.

Plus despite all the bro-culture in martial arts saying that technique always trumps strength… it doesn’t. At all. Especially if yo ever need to defend yourself on the street - ain’t no weight classes in the parking lot. It’s ALWAYS an advantage to be bigger and stronger, unless you’re aiming to fight five five-minute rounds and need a gas tank (that requires a balance).

I love martial arts and will never stop training, much like I’ll never stop playing soccer, despite full knowledge it saps a bit of my gains.

I don’t compete in bodybuilding. I don’t compete any more in martial arts, but I sure kicked ass when I did. Being well rounded makes my life richer.

i have made the switch from boxing to bodybuilding lol the complete opposite. My body was athetlic with boxing explosive and good condition. with bodybuiding i am obviously able to move more weight. its all about sport specificity training.

One of my USNC roommates has started fighting and is undefeated in Texas Muay Thai and he’s had me sparring with him. I outweigh him by 100lbs but I enjoy it and I think when I’m done competing it’s my next thing. Yea I’ll be older but he just destroyed a good fighter that is literally 20 years younger so I think it could be fun. He loves it and it’s an awesome challenge just getting on the Nat and them going at me at like 10% and me totally struggling not at all what I expected

One of my USNC roommates has started fighting and is undefeated in Texas Muay Thai and he’s had me sparring with him. I outweigh him by 100lbs but I enjoy it and I think when I’m done competing it’s my next thing. Yea I’ll be older but he just destroyed a good fighter that is literally 20 years younger so I think it could be fun. He loves it and it’s an awesome challenge just getting on the Nat and them going at me at like 10% and me totally struggling not at all what I expected

Oh harro - It’s been a while since we chatted mate hope your crushing it and life is treating you kindly.

100% go for it. Do you know what gym he fights out of?

I would highly suggest getting into it. I’ve tipped my hat at nearly every style/technique offered and Muay Thai seemed to be the best fit for me primarily due to real world application and the community.

Community with this group is very different than traditional mma. Very welcoming and loving.

Lots of guys going to Thailand every year a bit more of a kindred spirit type of group. What have you been up to mate?

I started MA as a source of fun cardio. Trained krav, jitz, muay thia for about 10 years total, not the best at it but have trained with some guys that made it to the ufc. I cannot train MA anymore as I am on blood thinners but man when I did I loved that shit!

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear