advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Insulin - how low does it drop blood sugar?

I like this thread, EXCEPT for a few things:

Saying that drinking a shake and taking your insulin at the same time is a mistake because it takes 40min+ to hit you is ONLY for you. I have a lot of experience with Novolog, it hits me much, much faster.

There is a HUGE difference in insulin sensitivity between people. There is also a HUGE difference in what say, a 50 blood sugar, feels like to different people.

People who are used to going low (from type Is I personally know) won't even feel 50-60 glucose levels, and can function and stay conscious even down in the TEENS.

Other people who are not used to going low are having sweats at 80 and starting to pass out and feel light headed in the 60s (me).

The fact that your glucose went up to 149 says something. I'm no expert but 149 sounds like insulin resistance. Pretty much everything you describe sounds like very high insulin resistance, except the low fasting glucose level.

Are you keeping your slin refrigerated? (I will assume yes, but I don't know how fast it degrades if not).

Mike and I have crossed paths on this issue several times, and he does know his shit very well, but I have a lot personal experience with slin, and it works much, much differently for me.

If I haven't taken slin in a long time, 2iu hits me like a ton of bricks. I usually go up 1iu at a time until I get to 5iu. This is a shitload and I can go hypo very easily.

Here is another great example, a type I friend of mine takes about 22iu of slin per day, total. His doctor thinks he should be taking about 50iu (couple different types). He recently had a pump put in and it almost killed him because they estimated his dose way to high. He doesn't make insulin at all.

So that brings me to my IMPORTANT point: if I hadn't been using slin for a long time, and I pinned 10iu of novolog, I could easily be in a LOT of trouble. I have no doubt 10iu would be enough to kill me if I didn't eat or get help.

Food for thought when making recommendations to other people.

PS I have been using slin on and off since the mid 90s, all kinds, all protocols. When I started using it, almost no one was using slin (in my circles).

Glad you posted this. My bloo sugar naturally runs very low (about 60 inthemornings)and ive never felt hypo in my life on slin or igf. That's why I always have some dextrose to hand while snib is active as I just don't feel low blood sugar and get the warning signs. I over eat carbs on slin anyway to stay safe and grow. Is rather diet of a bit of chubb later than take risks just to stay lean. I eat lots of carbs any way so there already built into my diet so don't get fat of the slin

Last edited:
thanks for your input kaladryn...

as i said, the outcomes of my experiment should not be applied to everyone, but i wanted to show that everyone reacts differently.

so for some people consuming dextrose/carbs with their insulin shot might be the right way, but EVERYONE USING INSULIN SHOULD TEST THAT before touching higher dosages of it.

its really interesting how everyone reacts differently.

i feel pretty normal with a blood sugar around 60, when it goes below that i start to feel a bit weird, but really "hypo" only below 50 or so. but maybe im just used to the symptoms because i used a lot of GHRP2 in the past and that gives the same hypo feeling after every injection.

i dont think my insulin resistance is high, because clinically the only marker they use for that is fasting blood sugar and mine is always pretty low...

a blood sugar rise of 50-60 points about half an hour after a meal with 125g carbs should be perfectly normal though, especially about 50g of them were from white bread and ketchup (high GI)...? (just guessing)

insulin resistance means chronically elevated blood glucose, i do not think a rapid rise in glucose after a meal means anything if it goes down just as quickly. i mean 60min after the meal my blood sugar was really low again, so it was elevated for barely an hour.

i mean the fact that 5iu dont really hit me at all could be a marker for insulin insensitivity, but ive also been bulking for 7 weeks before starting insulin, hammering lots of carbs every day. when i come off a cut and use insulin it again ill definitely NOT go above 5iu... i use berberine/metformin during cuts and even 2-3iu would probably make me hypo then... id assume my fasting blood sugar runs in the 60s or even 50s during cuts, because i feel pretty dizzy most mornings when cutting (especially when using tren), but ive only started measuring BS before starting insulin.

are there any other methods of determining insulin sensitivity except for fasting blood sugar levels?

Last edited:
took 10iu of log 10 minutes pre-workout, drank 80g of carbs with 40g of hydo whey with a ton of leucine added during my workout.. my blood sugar was in the 30's about an hour later as I was finishing my post-workout meal.

I was sweating and shaking like crazy, my roomies were getting pretty concerned lol.

I think the leucine had something to do with it

I like this thread, EXCEPT for a few things:

Saying that drinking a shake and taking your insulin at the same time is a mistake because it takes 40min+ to hit you is ONLY for you. I have a lot of experience with Novolog, it hits me much, much faster.

There is a HUGE difference in insulin sensitivity between people. There is also a HUGE difference in what say, a 50 blood sugar, feels like to different people.

People who are used to going low (from type Is I personally know) won't even feel 50-60 glucose levels, and can function and stay conscious even down in the TEENS.

Other people who are not used to going low are having sweats at 80 and starting to pass out and feel light headed in the 60s (me).

The fact that your glucose went up to 149 says something. I'm no expert but 149 sounds like insulin resistance. Pretty much everything you describe sounds like very high insulin resistance, except the low fasting glucose level.

Are you keeping your slin refrigerated? (I will assume yes, but I don't know how fast it degrades if not).

Mike and I have crossed paths on this issue several times, and he does know his shit very well, but I have a lot personal experience with slin, and it works much, much differently for me.

If I haven't taken slin in a long time, 2iu hits me like a ton of bricks. I usually go up 1iu at a time until I get to 5iu. This is a shitload and I can go hypo very easily.

Here is another great example, a type I friend of mine takes about 22iu of slin per day, total. His doctor thinks he should be taking about 50iu (couple different types). He recently had a pump put in and it almost killed him because they estimated his dose way to high. He doesn't make insulin at all.

So that brings me to my IMPORTANT point: if I hadn't been using slin for a long time, and I pinned 10iu of novolog, I could easily be in a LOT of trouble. I have no doubt 10iu would be enough to kill me if I didn't eat or get help.

Food for thought when making recommendations to other people.

PS I have been using slin on and off since the mid 90s, all kinds, all protocols. When I started using it, almost no one was using slin (in my circles).
So for maximum muscle acrural what protocol do u prefer bud ?

took 10iu of log 10 minutes pre-workout, drank 80g of carbs with 40g of hydo whey with a ton of leucine added during my workout.. my blood sugar was in the 30's about an hour later as I was finishing my post-workout meal.

I was sweating and shaking like crazy, my roomies were getting pretty concerned lol.

I think the leucine had something to do with it

well 80g carbs for 10iu might be pushing it for you.
thats why people recommend the 10g per iu rule. some just overdo it and have 10g per iu with every shake, some drinking 3 shakes in a 2 hour window (which is probably greatly overdoing it)

leucine is supposed to stimulate insulin secretion even in the absence of carbs. no idea how that translates to exogenous insulin though.
you probably just didnt consume enough carbs

glutamine because it makes fat cells less sensitive to insulin and at the same time muscle cells more sensitive ? (according to this L-glutamine supplementation induces insulin resistance in adipose t... - PubMed - NCBI)

i think i can answer this; sorry if it qalready has but reading the rest of the thread I may have missed it :p
This study is actually saying the glutamine INcreases insulin sensitivity in muscle tissue and reduces it in adipose tissue (fat) this is beneficial as the nutrient shuttling effects of insulin would be less likely to be directed towards the fat cells and more to where we want them in muscle tissue
reading the abstract (as i dont have access until i go back to uni) the mice had DECREASED adipose tissue due to this

Didnt actually know that so thanks for posting the study!

Last edited:
haha like an idiot i didnt register the full statement you made: so I just learned something new thanks :p

Gluconeogenesis is the process where the body turns protein into glucose. When your blood sugar goes low, you release massive amounts of cortisol to initiate this process. The cortisol starts breaking down tissue (mainly muscle) to turn it into glucose.

We already know working out raises cortisol significantly. The LAST thing we want to do is simulate extra cortisol release from low blood sugar, before, during, or after a workout.

Time your slin very careful, and make sure you NEVER drop below 80-90 (above 90 is ideal imo) glucose in the gym. (most healthy people wake in the morning with 80s glucose and elevated cortisol).

Gluconeogenesis is the process where the body turns protein into glucose. When your blood sugar goes low, you release massive amounts of cortisol to initiate this process. The cortisol starts breaking down tissue (mainly muscle) to turn it into glucose.

We already know working out raises cortisol significantly. The LAST thing we want to do is simulate extra cortisol release from low blood sugar, before, during, or after a workout.

Time your slin very careful, and make sure you NEVER drop below 80-90 (above 90 is ideal imo) glucose in the gym. (most healthy people wake in the morning with 80s glucose and elevated cortisol).

that was one of the assumptions i had why 5iu didnt really move my blood sugar... maybe because it was already low to begin with and by body had turned on gluconeogenesis?
as i said, i woke up to a blood sugar of 71
when i shot the 5iu slin i was at 68... an hour later BS had only dropped 10 points.
do you think the body is that efficient in balancing out blood sugar via gluconeogenesis that my blood sugar would only come down 10 points from 5iu insulin?
or does gluconeogenesis only work to balance out a certain amount of insulin before the body "gives up" and goes hypo ? (which would be the reason for quickly dropping to extremely low blood sugar from a 12iu shot)?

and as we know, cortisol is the highest in the morning (and during workouts).
that would also mean that gluconeogenesis is more efficient at this time, right?
so in the morning you would actually be less susceptible to going hypo if you didnt eat, because your body is much more efficient in balancing blood sugar in the morning (which of course would be stupid, but just theoretically). well, blood sugar would be much lower to begin with in the morning, but just theoretically.

i may repeat this experiment under the same circumstances with 5iu but LATER IN THE DAY, to see if blood sugar drops down harder. of course fasting blood sugar would be a bit higher to begin with, but i will fast for about 4 hours to get relatively accurate results.

i know that this does not yield any benefit at all, but im intrigued. this is extremely interesting to me and its impossible to find any accurate information/studies on that, because everyone just seems to be doing whats told on the forums.

i want to know exactly how my body works with this stuff.
its essential for intelligent use imo.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing!
first of all i probably fell into a lot of broscience stories regarding insulin... people claiming "5iu humalog pre workout gave me the most insane pumps ever"... well it seems like their 200g sugar intra workout shakes are what gave them these pumps, not the insulin.
First of all, I want to say that I mis-read you originally typed regarding the type of insulin used. I thought you were using Novolin (regular insulin), not Novolog. So, when I stated that you needed to use more, I was referring to Novolin, not Novolog. I think 10 IU of rapid-acting insulin is well within the "effective" range for a pre-workout protocol. Of course, many guys can get away with using more and it would be a good idea for many, but still, 10 IU is within the effective range. I wanted to clarify that before moving on.

im using insulin for the anticatabolic purposes, thats why i run it preworkout only.

Insulin produces anabolic and anti-catabolic effects through multiple mechanisms. These include:

Nutrient delivery
M-tor signaling
Increased IGF-1 levels
Inhibition of muscle protein breakdown
The ability to increase protein content via DNA transcription and RNA translation (this mechanism is not thoroughly understood, as a proportionately larger amount of research has focused on glucose and lipid metabolism)
increased IGF-1 bioavailability

...and there may be some others I do not recall off-hand.

Regardless of what time you use insulin, you will receive all of these benefits. Whether results take place from anabolic or anticatabolic means make little difference, as the net result is the same--increased muscle growth.

not for the glycogen refilling properties post workout. ive seen studies that claim insulin needs to be dosed in huge amounts for actual anabolism to occur, while it is decently anticatabolic in very small amounts already.
Muscle cell swelling via glycogen (and therefore water) super compensation is anabolic. All of insulin's effects will be present even in small doses. Using larger dosages just magnifies these effects. As you can see based on the list above, insulin's anabolic properties are manifold, being triggered with small even small doses.

Besides, discrepancies in insulin sensitivity, as well as differences in the release rates of the various forms of insulin, precludes the possibility of there being a single "threshold" dose. As anyone with experience will tell you, insulin can, depending on the individual, produce positive effects on recovery and growth through both anabolic and anticatibolic mechanisms even with small doses.

and i know youre a guru on that, but i dont agree on the carbohydrate sources you mention AT ALL. why would i use complex carbohydrates with a rapid acting insulin that lowers blood sugar quickly?
ALL carbohydrates get broked down into monosaccharides anyway. so why should i not just use straight dextrose then?
First of all, you're contradicting yourself. In your previous post you said that you do not need to drink dextrose right away because when you used Novolog, it did not "kick in" right away. You said you had to wait an extended period of time for your blood sugar to go down, which is what prompted you to hold off on consuming your dextrose.

So, if you are waiting that long to drink your dextrose, why would it matter if you ate a complex carb right from the start? Using your reasoning, it should work out just fine, as there are many complex carbs that would begin elevating BG by the time you would normally drink your dextrose.

The main thing an insulin user needs to worry about when it comes to maintaining normal blood glucose levels, regardless of what form of insulin is being used, is that the foods being eaten are capable of maintaining adequate BG levels. Whether you use whole-foods, shakes, complex carbs, sugars, or even certain proteins to do this doesn't matter, as long as it gets the job done. Additionally, there are a many factors to consider when it comes to managing BG--not just carb type.

What was your slin dose? When, what, and how much did you eat in your last meal prior to injecting insulin? When, what, and how much did you eat after you injected insulin? What is your insulin sensitivity like? What were your BG levels prior to injecting? What is your activity level during the time the slin is active? There are just some of the factors which can impact how your BG levels respond to a certain type of insulin.

Basically, the point I am trying to make is that a rapid-acting slin does not necessarily require the use of rapid-digesting carbohydrates post-injection. You will often hear generic recommendations for such, but this is because the person making general online recommendations can't possibly know the circumstances of every individual who might choose to implement such a program. Therefore, generic recommendations, when provided to the entire board, are designed so that potential users stay safe, even in a worst case scenario.

Your reasoning that it doesn't matter what type of carbs one eats when using slin, as all carbs convert to glucose anyway, shows a limited understanding of the effects that different foods, and carbs in particular, have on the body. In terms of regulating BG, yes, basically any carb can potentially be used depending on the circumstances, but we should be concerned with more than just regulating BG when using slin. Primarily, we should be focused on eating those foods which are ideal for making maximum progress.

Like I said in a prior post, if you would not sit down an eat a bowl full of sugar when you're not using slin, why should you automatically do so when using slin? Slin is not going to make your body respond to that sugar any differently than it normally would. It will simply enhance the delivery of that sugar into the cells. Now, there are certainly times when sugar is beneficial...and around a workout can potentially be one of them (branched cyclic dextrins are a sugar), but to say that carb type doesn't matter at any time because they all convert to glucose, is silly.

If carb type doesn't matter with slin, then there would be no difference whether we eat rice and potatoes with our whole-food meals, or bowls of table sugar. Actually, if this is the case, we should be able to replace all of our daily cabs with dextrose and still get the same results in terms of recovery, muscle fullness, growth, fat loss, health, etc.

Obviously, this is not the case. The reason most BB'rs eat things like rice, potatoes, pasta, and various grains with the majority of their meals is because carb source makes a HUGE difference in how we look, function, and feel, not to mention our ability to recover and grow. To suggest otherwise is absurd.

The only reason BB'rs used to drink a bunch of dextrose whenever they used insulin (in the beginning that was "all" they used--they didn't even include protein) is because knowledge was limited. There were under the impression that the only thing that mattered was making sure they didn't go hypo...and they thought the best way to make sure this didn't happen was to use dextrose, so that's what they used.

After a few years they realized that by using dextrose alone, they weren't taking advantage of insulin's ability to shuttle aminos into cells, so they began to include some rapid digesting proteins with their dextrose.

Since then we have learned a lot...and despite many BB'rs including insulin with several of their daily meals at certain points in their program, very rarely is dextrose included in one's normal meals. Aside from spiking BG quickly, dextrose provides virtually no benefits over most whole food carb sources and is quite inferior in many aspects.

What about the guys using lantus? Should they just eat dextrose all day long because exogenous insulin is present most of the day? Questions like this are silly. The bottom line is that carb source should not be determined by what type of insulin we want to use. Rather, we should first determine which carb sources are ideal for our goals at that particular time and then use a form of insulin is ideal for our diet. Too many guys do things ass-backwards when working with insulin.

Using insulin might be relatively simple in certain instances, but understanding the drug itself, how it affects the body, and how all the various components of one's lifestyle and individual physiology fit together and affect each other is a colossal task. Lots of guys are only educated on a few aspects of this, and weakly so at that. The more you research into these things, the more you realize just how much there is to learn. I now see why insulin and those matters related to it have been the subject of study for nearly 100 years by 1,000's of individuals over lifetimes of work.

imo the big advantage of complex carbohydrates is the slow and steady blood sugar (and therefore insulin) release.
when i use a rapidly peaking exogenous insulin, complex carbohydrates provide zero benefit imo.
I am not going to address this statement here, as I feel I did it well enough above.

maybe >50g dextrose is too much at once for any amount of insulin to shuttle and youre better off adding some slower carbs then, but since im not doing that (my shakes are about 500ml skim milk, whey and 30-40g dextrose so thats about 50-60g carbs). i feel perfectly fine with that amount of dextrose. no GI stress either.

the ONLY advantage of all that fancy vitargo, cyclic dextrins stuff is low osmolarity, meaning quicker absorption and less stomach stress. i dont get stomach stress from dextrose though.
dextrose and whey give me ZERO stomach issues, so im not paying 5x as much for the newest fancy products.
Again, already addressed this above.

its just like buying lactose free milk when youre perfectly fine with lactose. pointless imo.
Not really. In this instance, you are talking about the inability to digest a certain type of milk sugar--a problem only rectified by either eliminating the cause or by providing the necessary enzymes.

When talking about carbs and how they affect virtually every aspect of our progress and health, it's a little more complex than that.

i like testing stuff myself.
Sure, I understand. Personal experience is hugely important when it comes to understanding PED's. I have an massive amount if personal experience with this drug in all of its forms. I have used it 1,000's of time over a 12 year period with dozens of different programs. However, many of the things I did over the years, I would not repeat, as I made many mistakes along the way. However, I could have avoided some of those mistake by listening to others along the way. This is the advantage of learning from others--you can bypass mistakes you might otherwise have made, saving yourself time, money, and possibly your health in the process.

its more about where you want to end up, not where you are... im 5'8 180lbs at a true 8% bf... ive seen people with 20lbs less lean mass running slin cycles. ive also seen people with 20lbs MORE lean mass being completely clueless. i obviously know how to use insulin safely, so why should i not ;)

thanks mike ! that was not as much of a bash i wouldve expected from your initial answer ;)

i still think my choices regarding timing of insulin and the reasoning for using dextrose are sound though.

in the end you would agree that with a rapid insulin pre workout only using dextrose as (main) carb source (i still get about 1/3 of the carbs from lactose / milk, which is a complex/slow carb) with whey as protein source would definitely work in terms of effects, right ?

i know that for _optimal_ results i would be better off using a hydrolyzed protein and cyclic dextrins or a "fancy" (as i called) carb source, but in the end im not willing to spend at least 3-4x as much for maybe 20% better results, i know this may stubborn but im just being honest here. if ill get great results from using insulin the way im doing ill stick to it.

regarding your comment on complex carbohydrates -
Obviously, this is not the case. The reason most BB'rs eat things like rice, potatoes, pasta, and various grains with the majority of their meals is because carb source makes a HUGE difference in how we look, function, and feel, not to mention our ability to recover and grow. To suggest otherwise is absurd.
i DEFINITELY agree on that, but isnt that mainly because of the effects on endogenous insulin secretion? (of couse apart from the micronutrients, in which dextrose of course is complete trash, but i make sure to still have them covered through diet)
im a huge proponent of eating relatively clean, _especially_ regarding carb sources. when i eat shit carbs, i feel like shit and can literally feel my body getting inflamed within just a week, i get tired, my energy goes up and down - because of the effect on endogenous insulin, right? altogether im really for eating clean.
however with the use of a rapic acting exogenous insulin i think dextrose is an overall good carb choice, since - as you said - its only consumed peri-workout (instantly pre and intra). i also noticed no detrimental effects on my energy levels or workout efficiency while usually after consuming 30-40g of dextrose i would probably feel very bad, go hyper, hypo and would overall just feel trashy. as you said - i would never use dextrose as carb source if i was not using insulin.

but so i wouldnt use any high glycemic carb (except for post workout) usually.

with exogenous insulin i still think its a relatively good choice though, especially during the first weeks to assess tolerance. later on i might switch to eating a complete complex carb meal with my pre workout insulin, however since i first need to get a feeling for how my body handles insulin, ill stick to dextrose (for safety reasons) at first. plus i really cant work out on a stomach full of food, so timing would be even more complicated.

thanks for you input ! appreciate that you took the time :headbang:

Last edited:
When im researching insulin,insulin sensitivity etc Mike Arnold is one name I always look for on articles. Tbh any article written by him. Not ass kissing, never even replied to over of his posts, i just respect his knowledge and use it to further my development

Mike touched on this too...

Perhaps there are discrepancies with the BG drop because the 5iu fasted you had no residual endogenous insulin from prior meals. Plus as other metioned cortisol levels are elevated and maybe glucagon plays a role being that you are in a fasted state as well. PLUS you did not workout or have any muscle contraction exercises.

COMPARED TO....

I didn't follow what time your 12iu shot was but you did say pre-workout. So you could have some residual endogenous insulin from any previous meals. Then add your 12iu, total combined insulin would be greater than 12ius which would cause more of a BG drop. In addition to this, exercise causes greater transport of BG by increasing glut4 transport. Basically saying exercise increased the insulin sensitivity. This allowed MORE glucose to be transported more easily than when you were fasted. These factors could have caused a much more dramatic drop in BG that didn't coincide with the 5iu.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the info Mike.

When trying to access the limit of how much Log one can take pre w/o with 100g HCBD/Karboload, is there any carb source you recommend in case the 100g isnt enough? Like maybe having some non-fat licorice to munch on, as it isnt really conspicuous in the gym.

(Though it seems that you could actually be able to use less or more Log from week to week, month to month, depending on the workout type, body comp, pre w/o meal, and slin resistance..)

If one were to workout at Noon, take 10iu of Log with 100g carbs, when/where would you add more log/slin R?

When trying to access the limit of how much Log one can take pre w/o with 100g HCBD/Karboload, is there any carb source you recommend in case the 100g isnt enough? Like maybe having some non-fat licorice to munch on, as it isnt really conspicuous in the gym.

(Though it seems that you could actually be able to use less or more Log from week to week, month to month, depending on the workout type, body comp, pre w/o meal, and slin resistance..)

If one were to workout at Noon, take 10iu of Log with 100g carbs, when/where would you add more log/slin R?

everyone is different... an average person could probably go up to 13 iu or so with 100g carbs spread over the active time of the insulin... go with 10g carbs per iu first and then taper up the insulin (or taper down the carbs, for whatever reason)

Mike touched on this too...

Perhaps there are discrepancies with the BG drop because the 5iu fasted you had no residual endogenous insulin from prior meals. Plus as other metioned cortisol levels are elevated and maybe glucagon plays a role being that you are in a fasted state as well. PLUS you did not workout or have any muscle contraction exercises.

COMPARED TO....

I didn't follow what time your 12iu shot was but you did say pre-workout. So you could have some residual endogenous insulin from any previous meals. Then add your 12iu, total combined insulin would be greater than 12ius which would cause more of a BG drop. In addition to this, exercise causes greater transport of BG by increasing glut4 transport. Basically saying exercise increased the insulin sensitivity. This allowed MORE glucose to be transported more easily than when you were fasted. These factors could have caused a much more dramatic drop in BG that didn't coincide with the 5iu.

i dont think so... im always fasted for 3-4 hours before my insulin shot to make sure blood sugar is not high and there is no endogenous insulin present to assess my tolerance precisely... so my blood glucose is 80-90 when i shoot it - there would definitely be no endogenous insulin present at that time...

plus my shot was pre workout so no glut4 translocationing at that time yet. i think it has to do with the timing of the shot (in the morning) or the blood sugar which was already low to begin with at the 5iu experiment.

while im still not sure on that part, at least i nailed the timing for 12 iu now...
ive measured 3 times now and its always the same:
30mins after the shot my BS is always down 10-15 points, another 10 mins and its down another 15 points and another 5 mins its down another 15 points

so ill inject. 30mins later - when the insulin hits me - ill have my first shake. (i might substitute part of the dextrose for complex carbs later on, pineapple juice or so, then ill consume it about 10-15mins earlier, need to figure that out first)
instantly head to the gym, get dressed, start my workout (takes me 15mins).
about 2/3 through my workout (60mins after first shake) ill have the second shake.

Last edited:
I use nova r. Appon waking pancakes egg whites 2 scoops protien creatine glutamine . (about 100 carbs with small amount being sugars ) 13 iu i.m. 90 minutes prior to gym time. Before I start work out 13 iu i.m. Intra shake 90g powder sugar with 75g hydrolyzed. Creatine glutamine. ( Tryed about every carb mix. For me they all seem the same on slin) post 100 g carbs. Rice 2 chicken breast creatine. Works like a dream!

has anyone noticed a difference in terms of insulin sensitivity when adding leucine during the active window of exogenous insulin?
according to numerous studies leucine increases insulin sensitivity, so there might be more carbs needed not to go hypo?

ive just started adding 4-5g creatine to both shakes and just got myself some l-leucine that i will add at 2g per shake aswell (not more since there is already about 3-4g leucine per shake through the whey+milk and the benefits are supposed to increase up to 5g but not significantly any further)...
creatine and leucine at these dosages cost me barely 10$ a month so if theres a significant benefit to them ill use them. glutamine would be another 10$ a month, not sold on that yet. i mean its supposed to increase muscle tissue sensitivity to insulin specifically (and not in fat tissue), but with pre workout use of insulin and intra workout nutrition your body should direct the nutrients into muscle over fat tissue anyway id assume.

Your insulin dose should be determined by your dietary needs. You should first determine how many carbs you need around workouts and then base your slin dose on that. If you take more slin than you need, you will be forced to eat more than you need, which will only make you fat.

I cannot provide an answer to this question, as what is best will vary from person to person. However, if I were to just spit out a generic answer. I would say pre & post workout would be the best, followed by first rise in the morning (assuming the individual isn't also working out in the morning). But remember, once you start getting into doses which can compromise insulin sensitivity, you need to balance that insulin sensitizers/mimetics.

has anyone noticed a difference in terms of insulin sensitivity when adding leucine during the active window of exogenous insulin?
according to numerous studies leucine increases insulin sensitivity, so there might be more carbs needed not to go hypo?
Leucine does not increase insulin sensitivity. Actually, it does the opposite by potentially decreasing insulin sensitivity. Leucine is fairly potent at stimulating insulin release, and anything which causes insulin release can potentially reduce sensitivity.

ive just started adding 4-5g creatine to both shakes and just got myself some l-leucine that i will add at 2g per shake aswell (not more since there is already about 3-4g leucine per shake through the whey+milk and the benefits are supposed to increase up to 5g but not significantly any further)...
creatine and leucine at these dosages cost me barely 10$ a month so if theres a significant benefit to them ill use them. glutamine would be another 10$ a month, not sold on that yet. i mean its supposed to increase muscle tissue sensitivity to insulin specifically (and not in fat tissue), but with pre workout use of insulin and intra workout nutrition your body should direct the nutrients into muscle over fat tissue anyway id assume.
Adding a couple grams of leucine to protein shakes and whole food meals is an excellent way to boost protein synthesis.

Leucine does not increase insulin sensitivity. Actually, it does the opposite by potentially decreasing insulin sensitivity. Leucine is fairly potent at stimulating insulin release, and anything which causes insulin release can potentially reduce sensitivity.

there are a couple studies on that topic though claiming that leucine supplementation increases whole body insulin sensitivity.
im well aware of the fact that leucine alone stimulates endogenous insulin secretion. however since i will only use leucine while exogenous insulin is present the potential reduction in insulin sensitivity goes out the window, right?

ive also come to the conclusion that my body has some kind of minimum threshold to insulin.
today i repeated my 5iu experiment, but this time not in the morning.
4 hours after the last meal i measured my blood glucose at 87.
that was at 6pm. i injected 5iu novolog then.
6:45pm my BS was at 87, so it barely moved. (whereas with 10-15iu i know that i wouldve been hypo by that time).
7pm still no change. i injected another 10iu then.
7:30pm surprise surprise BS is instantly down to 49 and im hypo. (usually 10-15iu just kick in at 30mins for me, so the cumulative dose did hit a bit faster, even though the FIVE IU ALONE didnt do ANYTHING).
so there seems to be a cumulative effect, but 5iu doesnt do anything at all for me on its own.

a dosage of 5iu does not seem to affect my blood sugar at all. it of course doesnt mean that the insulin is not working, however with 5iu the effect isnt strong enough to move my blood sugar significantly.

with roughly 10-15 iu it goes like this
injection
after 30mins BS is down 10-15 points
after 40mins BS is down another 10-15 points
after 45mins BS is down another 10-15 points

with 5iu though my BS doesnt even move at all or maybe 10 points down over the whole timeframe its active

10-15 iu kick in after 30mins and im hypo by minute 45 like clockwork

so ill stick to my plan, first shake 30mins after injection, when the slin starts to kick in, instantly head to gym, second shake 60mins later, intra workout.

i find it interesting that 5iu barely does anything though while 10iu is enough to make me go hypo everytime though.
there must be some kind of threshold or compensatory mechanism - at least for my body.

Last edited:

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Thiccthighsshan
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner