over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Muscles in the workplace(white collar)

What do people think of muscular people in a professional setting? Does it make them stereotype you as a meathead in your experience? I got into a debate about this with a friend and think that being fat would be worse. I dont know how having muscles could make you appear dumb.......

I would have to disagree with the 'fat is worse' suggestion. Pending a person isn't freakishly obese they are somewhat of the norm. The numbers show this over and over again. Beyond that, fat people, as I see it, are a socially protected class. Strength in numbers I suppose.

I have somewhat of an interesting vantage point in my career. I am the owner of a transportation company which puts me in contact with people of all socio-economic standings. Moment to moment my office might be occupied by a high school drop out, a crane operator or any number of 3M/ Syngenta/Monsanto Division Ops, sales managers etc.

That being said, the response to my physical appearance is markedly different every time. Working class people (predominantly men in my line of work) tend to be more open and supportive of my appearance. They like to ask questions and rib me when suitable. On the other hand, white collar/educated people are obviously discerning yet reluctant to mention. I would bore you with all of the back door insults I've received from them.

One instance went down as follows (abridged version). I was leaving the office (short sleeve, casual dress) while at the foot of my car door my CM stops me to make an introduction to our new EPA integration/compliance steward. Conversation ensues and lasts for roughly 5-6 minutes. In the midst of said conversation he makes a very bad joke referencing my "guns" and our 'No Firearms on Premise' sign. No harm on its own however... Wrapping up the awkward chat we exchange general niceties and shake hands. He closed by stating "I'm pleasantly surprised by how articulate you can be. Shocking really. That's a compliment so you know." He smiles and gets in his car.

Perhaps I simply don't know how to accept a compliment (facetious). It was random and out of place and in conjunction with the rest of that conversation it was a smack in the face.

Perhaps I need to incorporate a few more "dudes" and "bros" in my daily speech so as not to shock the herd. The old and unwitting "you speak so well" to a black man "compliment". Freudian slip in a white and muscled version of course. Goon.

And i am nothing special size wise but you sit amongst your regular guys and well i do stand out. Thats why i love this lifestyle, could care not for a trophy just being able to walk around every day and being seen as a strong confident man is worth it.

very true -

I'm the general manager of 2 new car franchises in 2 towns,I always wear long sleeve dress shirts,tie and suits.It helps one to cover up at work and not look odd.Only thing is tie is 4 inches from waist when standing with coat off because of chest development.

Ya just gotta buy longer ties man - :D

I find that my magnanimous personality overcomes any prejudices my employees / associates might have. :D

Just don't take yourself too serious. I think 99% of the negative attention BB get is their own fault. That's actually true for most all people to be honest. Self-deprecating humor breaks down an awful lot of barriers and shows people that you aren't a self-centered dickhead.

I hear guys talking about their diet or training (sometimes really loud to make sure that others hear them) and I think they are douchebags. So what do you think the general population thinks? I don't look at what I do as something that makes me superior to others and people pick up on that.

Im glad to wear a suit in job interviews because I think it does carry a stereotype when you first meet someone. Once I'm working somewhere i find people judge me by my work and not muscles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every man secretly wants to look like the super heros they grew up watching.
Every woman wants to made made to feel safe so you know they get wet when they see muscle. Anyone who says otherwise is insecure.
Muscle in the work place is definitely a big plus in my experience.

Every man secretly wants to look like the super heros they grew up watching.
Every woman wants to made made to feel safe so you know they get wet when they see muscle. Anyone who says otherwise is insecure.
Muscle in the work place is definitely a big plus in my experience.
Couldn't agree more JJ. However my appearance has hindered me in the past ime. I used to shave my head with a blade and had a beard. I'm about 6'1" and usually around 220. My wife says that I'm "not even approachable" when I look like that lol

I find that my magnanimous personality overcomes any prejudices my employees / associates might have. :D

Just don't take yourself too serious. I think 99% of the negative attention BB get is their own fault. That's actually true for most all people to be honest. Self-deprecating humor breaks down an awful lot of barriers and shows people that you aren't a self-centered dickhead.

I hear guys talking about their diet or training (sometimes really loud to make sure that others hear them) and I think they are douchebags. So what do you think the general population thinks? I don't look at what I do as something that makes me superior to others and people pick up on that.

All of that was well said Marvin. Minus the magnanimous portion of course. ;)

You've highlighted what is most certainly one of the universal truths of self projection. Those truths being humility and the craft of speaking in earnest.

The one lingering variable is the "why" factor. Why do some groups have to be so expeditious with the timing and delivery of who they are? The sad reality of wealth in my opinion.

We are all (or most of us) indeed rich in regards to our physicality and presence. Like monetary wealth, one must always be steadfast in how he/she is perceived or risk being a pariah.

Much like you, I never feel 'special' or 'superior' in my day to day interactions. I'm forever indebted to those around me that stand as constant reminders of who I once was, where I come from and the labor of love that got me here.

Remember being fat/skinny/unhealthy, broke, alone etc. The list goes on and on and applies to all of us. Some are more willing or merely further along in the respective process. There should never be a litmus for a select few however.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more JJ. However my appearance has hindered me in the past ime. I used to shave my head with a blade and had a beard. I'm about 6'1" and usually around 220. My wife says that I'm "not even approachable" when I look like that lol

You would be more approachable if you were smiling a lot.

Just don't talk about muscle. People want to imagine that a muscular guy is a narcissist, and spends his day in the gym, and in front of the mirror... When people mention fitness to me, I just shrug my shoulders and say I workout.

Having people like you is very simple - make them feel better for being around you. Be generous with compliments -and I don't mean faking it - I try to find something about very person that I encounter that is positive and admirable. (If you honestly cannot find ANYTHING good then you need to put distance between you and that person / situation ) . Most importantly make them LAUGH - people love those that can make them laugh. You don't have to be a friggin douchebag trying overly hard to be a comedian - just be light hearted and look for the comedy in life.
In sales I always say - invoke genuine emotion in your prospect and your chances of closing grow ten-fold. It's the same in day to day interaction.
When you do these things - do them for yourself and it will be genuine. YOU will be infinitely happier if you can find things in others that you admire and if you can look at people and situations in a positive way. Does this mean I don't get stressed or pissed - I wish but I am not remotely there yet. I just know I am happier when I laugh.

Last edited:
Having people like you is very simple - make them feel better for being around you. Be generous with compliments -and I don't mean faking it - I try to find something about very person that I encounter that is positive and admirable. Most importantly make them LAUGH - people love those that can make them laugh. You don't have to be a friggin douchebag trying overly hard to be a comedian - just be light hearted and look for the comedy in life.
In sales I always say - invoke genuine emotion in your prospect and your chances of closing grow ten-fold. It's the same in day to day action.
When you do these things - do them for yourself and it will be genuine. YOU will be infinitely happier if you can find things in others that you admire and if you can look at people and situations in a positive way. Does this mean I don't get stressed or pissed - I wish but I am not remotely there yet. I just know I am happier when I laugh.

I'm with you. When I use to date, I remember my goal was always to have the girl talk most of the date, because if they do, they enjoy themselves. Who doesnt' like to talk about themselves. Now my goal is to do all the talking because I love talking about myself:D

Having people like you is very simple - make them feel better for being around you. Be generous with compliments -and I don't mean faking it - I try to find something about very person that I encounter that is positive and admirable. (If you honestly cannot find ANYTHING good then you need to put distance between you and that person / situation ) . Most importantly make them LAUGH - people love those that can make them laugh. You don't have to be a friggin douchebag trying overly hard to be a comedian - just be light hearted and look for the comedy in life.
In sales I always say - invoke genuine emotion in your prospect and your chances of closing grow ten-fold. It's the same in day to day interaction.

Yeah, just smiling at people makes a big impression. Unless you are creepy, then don't smile at all.

If a guy like John meadows is a banker and seems to be doing fine then others should be gig too generally speaking and myself included ...

If a guy like John meadows is a banker and seems to be doing fine then others should be gig too generally speaking and myself included ...

John no longer works as a banker... He retired from that a while back

I gave an hour long presentation to some Veeps last week. We typically wear uniforms in the operation, mine are my same old fat guy sizes I started with @ 8 years ago. I have been stealth for 18 months, no one knew I was carb back loading or hittin the iron. I wore a company polo that was gifted to me, an XL. Hilarious. The Veeps that knew me previously wouldn't quit asking what was going on, asking about training advice and such. Intellect was no issue, I was training them that day.

What's more humorous? I am 5'11 at 240 with an 18.5 neck, 17.5 guns and a 36 waist and can barely press 360. On this forum I'm still a runt.

More humorous than that? In stealth, how many "Alpha" males have you scared the sh!t out of in the work locker room when you lose the shirt? Let's face it, these guys typically sport 13 inch guns and have a loud voice. It's funny to watch their gears turn (self preservation, fight/flight instinct) pondering how helpless they would feel with that arm around their neck. Of course, most gym rats don't need to be loud and obnoxious, power and politeness make it look even better. When you see them again in the work place, they do act different.

I've always been stereotyped until they speak to me and realize I'm educated and don't talk about anything training, diet or competition related. They are kind of taken back when they find out I have degrees in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering and Mathematics as well as a Major in The Army National Guard. Now did they hate me my last week of contest prep? Yup, boss sent me home paid for the week because they got sick of smelling Tilapia. Luckily I work in the field with lots of Blue Collar Workers.

it can be pretty difficult. people get dietary needs/wants in the office but there are always jokes that go around. people may look at u a little strange. the hardest challenge is never losing your temper. no matter how difficult someone may be or how pissed off you get you simply can not show it, just because of your size. people see that as more threatening than having just a loud voice or a sarcastic comment. like the normal average joe may be able to show he's very angry, but guys like us can't. there is always like the fear that we will act upon it. which is rarely ever, the case. when someone asks me to do something, no matter if i am swamped or how many times this person has aggravated me, i will still help them out and be polite.

one thing that does bother me, is the thought of that we are dumb. i hold an MBA in Finance and Accounting so I know some shit lol

just my opinion...

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws