over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Paul Carter on volume

So many people come up with any excuse in the book or justify their lack of effort because they’re afraid to train with proper intensity.

The things people come up with to justify not having to train hard blow my mind.
Over training is not most peoples problem.

Except for thumbs - lots of overtraining of thumbs in gyms these days.
LOL sadly it took me a second to get this...DUH. after I read it the second time then I laughed 🤣

See belt squats are a bit different. On leg presses with 1,500lbs or whatever ain't no training partner helping you do forced reps. Even with one on each side it's hard to get that type of load off a guy who fails. Nevermind for several forced reps, ain't happening. What they do, and you can see this on pros' videos, is that the spotters help a bit when the reps get hard, before they would have failed. Someone like Jordan Peters probably fails a lot but he's an anomaly. I always cringe when I've seen pros leg presses at Gold's Venice, tons of plates and no safety mechanism to bail if something snaps. It can happen at any point, long before failure.
Yeah, you have to be smart and have the pins set on the leg press at the bottom in case it does get stuck. Safety first. But, with 1 or 2 guys there to push the sled, you can get some extra reps after you cant on your own. Its not like they are having to push the whole load up. They are pushing 100 or 150lbs at most. When it becomes too hard for them to continue is when you stop it.

Yeah, you have to be smart and have the pins set on the leg press at the bottom in case it does get stuck. Safety first. But, with 1 or 2 guys there to push the sled, you can get some extra reps after you cant on your own. Its not like they are having to push the whole load up. They are pushing 100 or 150lbs at most. When it becomes too hard for them to continue is when you stop it.

Well, what I always see happening is the helpers start assisting close to failure, never when the weight actually stalls, because you tend to crap out suddenly and completely at that point. So angled leg presses are as a rule always with at least 1 rep in reserve. If Dorian had attempted another rep and stalled a couple inches out of the hole Leroy is not getting that weight off him.

But this is a minor point since leg presses get you much closer to failure compared to for example free squats where you get technical breakdown before the quads fail.

Well, what I always see happening is the helpers start assisting close to failure, never when the weight actually stalls, because you tend to crap out suddenly and completely at that point. So angled leg presses are as a rule always with at least 1 rep in reserve. If Dorian had attempted another rep and stalled a couple inches out of the hole Leroy is not getting that weight off him.

But this is a minor point since leg presses get you much closer to failure compared to for example free squats where you get technical breakdown before the quads fail.
Never got the sled stuck on me or other guys I was spotting. Never saw or felt where the muscles just gave out 100% and the spotters had to lift the whole weight. Never worked that way for us unless someone gets injured.

I agree. If I have loads of weight on a leg press and I do what I call complete failure there is no way I am getting more reps even if assisted. 2 guys won't be able to lift that weight up because I will be gone. If I truly fail with big weight it literally has to drop... it's like a switch just goes off. I have really good muscle endurance but true failure were you are literally gone then there is nothing you can do. Something like a leg curl or leg extension sure you can do about 50 partials until you are trembling all over but big weight leg press or squats etc once you go you are pretty much gone.

The same could be said for any big movement even a chest press. Spotters start assisting too early. If you have 4pps and you go to complete failure the same sort of thing happens. Now if a spotter assists just before failure you may be doing 80% and then 70%, 60% so you can grind out those assisted reps until you are gone. If the spotter only helped just as you had failed and you had the weight stuck to your chest it's totally different and he is essentially saving you. Maybe you can grind out more reps but he will be assisting massively because again you are gone.

All this is really pointless and we are debating over semantics. I can still see both sides and I 100% believe Maldorf but I just think we all have slightly different definitions of the term failure. I have failed on leg press with safeties then done another 5-10 partial reps which probably looked a mess just because I wanted to go to the complete limit so with 2 spotters it could be done. Even I have different definitions for "working sets" and "failure" at different times. You are right though 99.9% spotters will assist before you have gone so you can still lift half the weight yourself and they assist the rest.

It's all pointless anyway and fact is it's all intense training so it's all going to work. As long as you push it and progress over time that's all you can do. Too many overcomplicate this stuff. Often the guys who constantly gone on about terms such as RIR aren't even going to their limits anyway.

I love seeing things like this. The sound is really good as well so you can hear every struggle. The thing that just tops off this video though is the guy in the background reading a magazine in between his sets :D It's guys like him who are usually the ones telling people it's all drugs and he doesn't have the genetics to get huge :D

I love seeing things like this. The sound is really good as well so you can hear every struggle. The thing that just tops off this video though is the guy in the background reading a magazine in between his sets :D It's guys like him who are usually the ones telling people it's all drugs and he doesn't have the genetics to get huge :D
I also find it impressive when people train brutal like that in those kind of environments. He’s got nobody but his self. I was laughing in the beginning when he’s hitting the leg press dreading the set. I do that as I’m talking myself into it. Usually I’m saying, “just do it fucker, don’t be a bitch”.

I feel if you have a log book and progressively overload, you will HAVE to hit failure and train hard eventually.....

let’s say leg press top set was 4pps for 18. Next leg day you get 19...next leg day you get 4pps+10lbs for 19, then 4pps x 20....you keep inching and digging eventually 5pps x 18....you had to hit hard work sets sometimes

I feel if you have a log book and progressively overload, you will HAVE to hit failure and train hard eventually.....

let’s say leg press top set was 4pps for 18. Next leg day you get 19...next leg day you get 4pps+10lbs for 19, then 4pps x 20....you keep inching and digging eventually 5pps x 18....you had to hit hard work sets sometimes
I agree. Eventually the weight catch up and start getting heavy and intense enough that you start getting anxiety before sets! LOL

HOLY SHXT now that is what I call an intense set. When you train like this you can toss "volume" out the window. Can you imagine this guy doing 10-12 sets like this on "leg day" in addition to other leg movements for hamstrings and calves? No chance.

3-4 RIR would be considered far from failure as 3-4 isn't even close to failure but will certainly yield results. If a guy can incline a set of 315 to total failure at 15 reps are you saying he won't build muscle by doing a bunch of volume with 315 for sets of 12?? For instance 8 sets of 12 vs. a few sets of total failure to 15. I don't buy it.

Neither of my posts have said anything about "low effort" training.
You could never get to the point where you could do 315lbs for 12 reps without going to failure, or very close to it.

Bruno’s a beast man

I've never seen anyone take sets as far as he does. Not Dorian, not Jordan, not all the "famous" IFBB pros and other people on social media constantly talking about how hardcore and intense they are. He would bury them all in the weight room. In that video he hits failure about halfway through and finds a way to keep the set going another two minutes. He's a robot 😎

I used to pick Ben’s brain a lot back in the intensemuscle days and learned a lot about set intensity from him. Good guy to top it off

I've never seen anyone take sets as far as he does. Not Dorian, not Jordan, not all the "famous" IFBB pros and other people on social media constantly talking about how hardcore and intense they are. He would bury them all in the weight room. In that video he hits failure about halfway through and finds a way to keep the set going another two minutes. He's a robot 😎
I will put $1,000 on John meadows if anyone would like to take that bet.

I used to pick Ben’s brain a lot back in the intensemuscle days and learned a lot about set intensity from him. Good guy to top it off

Yeah, he's a very successful personal trainer now. Kate Upton and Chelsea Handler are among his clients. I think he trains some NBA and NFL guys too if I'm not mistaken.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtyjoe8605
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131