over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The Shadow - PSL Log

LOSING LBM = GAINING BODY FAT

New research demonstrating that loss of lean body mass through dieting eventually promotes greater fat gain.

Loss of LBM causes the physiological drive to eat in order to replace the LBM that was lost. There is a corresponding increase in body fat that can result in accruing more body fat than you had lost in the first place!

So we want to do all we can to maintain LBM whilst dieting! How do we do that?

1. Ensure we are using a progressive resistance training program whilst dieting to increase, or at the least maintain strength
2. Consume a sufficient protein intake
3. Not run a large caloric deficit from the word go and diet too hard, too quickly

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/28078821/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took some selfies whilst waiting for the Mrs to have her hair cut [emoji13] IMG_0619.jpg

Does anybody else find themselves just laid out on gym machinery for about 5 minutes after a set to failure? [emoji12]

It's funny because it takes me a good 3-5 mins after a set to true failure to catch my breath, but the Mrs is ready to go again in about 10 seconds! [emoji23]

IMG_0624.jpg

DEPRESSION AND DIET

In this recently published research, clinically depressed subjects who underwent nutritional consulting sessions showed significant reductions in symptoms over 12 weeks vs. subjects who underwent 12 weeks of social support.

32.3% of the nutritional counselling group achieved remission, compared to only 8% of the social support group.

Clearly, consuming nutrient-dense, unprocessed food is not only good for your body composition, but for your mental health too. This is an example of exactly what I mean when I say that a calorie is not necessarily just a calorie, especially when it comes to our health.

(The graph attached shows the MADRS scores for dietary support and social support control groups at baseline and endpoint. MADRS is a test used by clinicians to assess the severity of depression)

https://bmcmedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12916-017-0791-y

IMG_0629.JPG

NEW DAILY PROTEIN INTAKE RESEARCH

This new study shows us that 0.77g of protein per pound of body weight daily maximised whole-body muscle protein synthesis in well-trained male bodybuilders on a rest day. A 'safety net' amount of 1g/lbs to ensure we are hitting this threshold was agreed in the research.

In similar previous research, the nitrogen balance technique was used to estimate protein needs, but the less limiting Indicator Amino Acid Oxidation technique has been used here.

Take-away points being that, the previously established RDA of 0.8g/kg is likely to be too little to maximise muscular hypertrophy in male bodybuilders.

**broken link removed**

Still deloading, so here are some boring quad and ham stretches from last night! [emoji42]

I hate deloads, but taking them as often as I need is something I have vowed to work on going forward. I worked myself into the ground before this deload, and in my heart I know it was at my detriment based on my bio-feedback towards the end.

For this weeks deload I dropped frequency from 3x/week to 1x/week, cut volume in half, but kept intensity high. [emoji1434]

New training block from Austin Stout begins this Monday, I can't wait to begin to push again! [emoji5]

IMG_0638.jpg

I was just talking with a friend about natural bodybuilding competitions and hormonal issues, and I remembered this case study from a while back that I don't think I ever shared.

In pre-contest natural bodybuilders we see massive decreases in testosterone, insulin, thyroid hormone and leptin, and increases in cortisol and ghrelin.

Natural competitors and prep coaches both need to be very aware of the possible permanent implications you are risking by dieting down to true stage ready condition without the support of exogenous hormones.

Although the particular subject in this case study did recover his natural testosterone production post-show, I have personally seen more than a few cases of natural competitors needing TRT for life after being unable to recover HPTA function after their competition.

Although these adaptations are unavoidable for the most part, the best advice I can give natural competitors is to not remain in show ready condition for extended periods of time, do not compete multiple times per year, and get your bloodwork drawn regularly to ensure recovery of HPTA function post-show and maintenance of during your off-season.

In my opinion, although there really isn't anything too healthy about competitive bodybuilding, this is a case in which TRT at a minimum should be used by all bodybuilding competitors whom value their health to mitigate the negative consequences of causing this level of hormonal imbalance and possible permanent damage.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23412685

Finally my dreaded deload is over with! [emoji16]

New programming begins tomorrow, so make sure you follow along my upcoming Vlogs to see how I progress under the guidance of Austin Stout [emoji440]

https://youtu.be/VvZP1NfLRss

Here it is, our first ever podcast!

For our special guest this week we have Ben Stevens, incredibly intelligent biomedical scientist and expert on sweeteners and their possible health implications.

We talk sweeteners, GDA's, mTOR, Sodium for bodybuilding shows and loads more!

https://youtu.be/MsTQinvZOMs

BLOOD GLUCOSE MONITORING

One section of many of our client check-ins at JJ Physique that isn't seen too often is monitoring blood glucose averages.

Without expanding too much on each situation, a few examples of where monitoring BG could be useful are:
[emoji382] high carbohydrate intakes over extended periods of time
[emoji382]using supplements/PED's that can alter BG levels such as GH, Insulin and GDA's
[emoji382]those who have suffered with insulin resistance in the past
[emoji382]high protein intake that could result in gluconeogenesis during low/no carb periods
[emoji382]show day carb up

In any case, I recommend monitoring BG levels multiple times per week and recording the data. A good place to start would be fasted, 2 hours post-workout and after a protein + fat meal in absence of carbohydrate. Look over your data as the weeks progress, and see if you notice a trend. BG should remain relatively stable across all results, and should not be spiked too greatly after a specific meal and should not be trending upwards.

If anybody would like me to expand on any of the specific points above, or would like some advice on monitoring BG specific to their individual situation, then please PM me! [emoji1434]

IMG_0661.JPG

I have been relegated to JJ Physique cameraman this weekend filming my lady's workouts from Trained by JP. [emoji1434]

She is one full week of prep down for the PCA Bikini Toned category and has certainly began as she means to carry on. Every meal, every supplement, every session, every hour of rest has been planned and executed with 100% effort.

This training programming is not easy by any means, but Jas is going at it with a killer mentality. I couldn't be any more proud, and I can't wait to see how she looks come the end of this prep!

IMG_0671.jpg

Another new week! Another chance to take a step closer to the end goal. Everything you think, perform and speak this week must be a deliberate effort compounding towards success.

IMG_0673.jpg

METFORMIN & BODYBUILDING

Was asked by a subscriber today to do a simple breakdown video on Metformin, so here it is!

I discuss...
[emoji381] What is Metformin?
[emoji381] What is it used for medically?
[emoji381] How does it work?
[emoji381] Why do bodybuilders use this drug?

Any more questions on anything not covered in this video, drop me a PM or comment below and I'll be happy to help!

https://youtu.be/QK-khHKY8XQ

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
brycewtolbert
NapsGear