over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training EOD (3-4x per week)

How did you used to train or has it always been instinctive like now? How did you train when you were competing in season and off season?
I was working out 2 times per day when I was competing as a IFBB Pro, same body part 2 times, AM normal workout with my negative concept and PM with out negatives. I always incorporated pushup, pushups is one of the best chest budling exercise.

I totally get what OP is saying. Even back in my 30's, I rarely trained more than 2 days in a row. If I did, that 3rd workout, while might not "suffer", but getting a new PR on any exercise wasn't going to happen. ESPECIALLY after a leg day. If one is TRULY busting ass on legs, how many set a new PR or see progress on an exercise in the gym the next day? And for ME, even at 60, that's what it's about - progress, trying like hell to get one more rep/5 more lbs than last workout. Obviously it doesn't happen every workout, if so, there would be guys benching 2000 lbs and squatting 4000 after 20 years of lifting haha. But I still TRY. If not, I might as well throw in the towel and just be content with maintaining being I'm getting older. FUK that.lol :p

However, we all know many types of training styles/splits work, so to each their own. That's been proven obviously via so many contrasting styles from Steve Michalik vs Yates, to Mentzer vs Arnie, to Paul Dillet vs David Henry, etc etc etc.

Anyways, just my take. :)
You will gain size from any type of training , you need to figured out which one is the best for you , and you must enjoying the pain, once the pain becomes pleasure than you will have the gain. Jour muscle will do what ever your brain commends, that why mind muscle connation is so important.

Exactly , most people are not failing because of "over training" they are failing because they are under recovering. Shitty diet based on calories rather nutrients , Shitty limited sleep because they cranked up on stimulants , wrecked CNS because of the above two.

Crappy sleep is quite common in modern humans and bodybuilders are not immune to this problem, in fact, due to the overload on their digestive systems and need to drink and urinate during the night, some muscular pain or discomfort caused by training... are already enough reasons for not having a perfect rest. If the low-carb and low-calorie diet stage, some stimulants, train or whatever, the cutting periods are characterised by a lack of sleep, rest and recovery.

So, overtraining is very likely for many even when their diets and workouts are optimal.

Of course, the solution for many is to take sleeping medication. I don't think that's a good idea.

It was a study conducted on Romania Olympic Weight Lifters, the study was conducted in the 60s. Probably Arnold saw that study, and that why he was working-out 2 times per day.

But those athletes did not train the muscles to failure repeatedly.

But those athletes did not train the muscles to failure repeatedly.
No they did not, however they lifted heavy, Olympic lifting training regimens tend to be higher frequency, with many programs calling for 6 training sessions per week. The training program typically feature back squats, front squats, push press, power cleans, power jerks, and various deadlift accessories.

No they did not, however they lifted heavy, Olympic lifting training regimens tend to be higher frequency, with many programs calling for 6 training sessions per week. The training program typically feature back squats, front squats, push press, power cleans, power jerks, and various deadlift accessories.
Dude olympic lifting is like night and day difference with bodybuilding. A lot of it is skill practice.

And we must bear in mind that these athletes were the elite selected from millions across the country, Soviet sports programmes were designed to detect genetic talent from an early age. Literally only the strongest flourished to the top.

And we must bear in mind that these athletes were the elite selected from millions across the country, Soviet sports programmes were designed to detect genetic talent from an early age. Literally only the strongest flourished to the top.
We must bear in mind too that bodybuilders today are much bigger and stronger than the olympic lifters in 1960s. Plus its a different sport. Like Kai Greene used to say big difference between weightlifting and bodybuilding.

At one point in my life I was doing Olympic Weight Lifting, some of the advanced lifters ( part of the Romania National Team) were working out 2 times per day, they were consuming 5 to 6 gram protein per body kg. It was in 1972.
Interesting. What are your thoughts on Pavel and the Soviet views on training/hypertrophy? Seems like they didn't research hypertrophy as much as we do and care more about strength. I have read a little on Soviet views and it seems like they aren't fans of constantly adding weight like in the US. Rather than "peak" always as they say we do (always add weight or reps if possible) they like to accumulate to a specific weight for a while before increasing.

Almost like we sometimes say to do with weight/diet. Rather than keep pushing the scale up, push it up, maintain that size weight, then push more...or cut

They essentially use this same strategy we use for diet/bulking but apply to training.

So rather than
225x10 week 1
225x12 week 2
225 x13 week 3
230x 10 week 4
230 x 12 week 5
235 x 10 week 6

Something like
225x10 for weeks 1-4
240 x 10 week 5

Less frequent increase in load but when the jump happens it's bigger

Interesting. What are your thoughts on Pavel and the Soviet views on training/hypertrophy? Seems like they didn't research hypertrophy as much as we do and care more about strength. I have read a little on Soviet views and it seems like they aren't fans of constantly adding weight like in the US. Rather than "peak" always as they say we do (always add weight or reps if possible) they like to accumulate to a specific weight for a while before increasing.

Almost like we sometimes say to do with weight/diet. Rather than keep pushing the scale up, push it up, maintain that size weight, then push more...or cut

They essentially use this same strategy we use for diet/bulking but apply to training.

So rather than
225x10 week 1
225x12 week 2
225 x13 week 3
230x 10 week 4
230 x 12 week 5
235 x 10 week 6

Something like
225x10 for weeks 1-4
240 x 10 week 5

Not emeric but I dont think it matters. Look at the top powerlifters, all of them train differently but they are all very close strength wise. Find what works for you and what you can revover from and be progressive.

Being progressive doesnt mean add weight to the bar every week. If your joints hurt you can add weight once a month just to get your joints used to it. Youre still progressive and still gaining muscle and strength. Train the muscles not the joints.

So rather than
225x10 week 1
225x12 week 2
225 x13 week 3
230x 10 week 4
230 x 12 week 5
235 x 10 week 6

Something like
225x10 for weeks 1-4
240 x 10 week 5

it doesn't work in bodybuilding, at least not for very advanced bodybuilders

I know it's hard to understand and accept - it took me 20 years to figure it out.

We must bear in mind too that bodybuilders today are much bigger and stronger than the olympic lifters in 1960s. Plus its a different sport. Like Kai Greene used to say big difference between weightlifting and bodybuilding.

I'm not sure they are stronger, I mean, powerlifting and strongman athletes have been getting stronger at the same rate as bodybuilders have been getting bigger.

In weightlifting they have annulled and stalled many records due to their pursuit of doping, otherwise they would be much stronger.

it doesn't work in bodybuilding, at least not for very advanced bodybuilders

I know it's hard to understand and accept - it took me 20 years to figure it out.
The only think Bodybuilding and Olympic Weight lifting has in commune is that both lift weights , but different purpose, one lift to build more muscle the other one is some muscle but mostly strength.

I'm not sure they are stronger, I mean, powerlifting and strongman athletes have been getting stronger at the same rate as bodybuilders have been getting bigger.

In weightlifting they have annulled and stalled many records due to their pursuit of doping, otherwise they would be much stronger.
They still doping.

Strength in bodybuilding and strength in strength sports though is completely different. Bodybuilders are maximizing execution to target a muscle while strength athletes are doing everything they can to move the maximal weight possible.

I would like to see a study on working out 2 times per day, 6 days, the most muscle I gained when I lifted 2 time day, and not just me Arnold and other old timers, I eat supper foods not powders, even now when I train 2 times per day I consume 36 eggs per day.
This is just my opinion… While yes I have met a FEW genetic outliers in my lifetime who grow no matter how they workout and eat etc….I don’t think MOST people would benefit more from lifting 2 times a day vs just lifting hard 3-4 times a week. I think the majority of people would be overtrained and go backwards instead of making progress working out twice a day hard. And no I am not a competitive bodybuilder by any means but I have tried several different training routines over my 15 + years of being in this game and 3 times a week along with pushing the food is what got me my biggest.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear