advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Training reps and sets. Do you follow this kind of training?

One thing about Paul Carter I've wondered.

Does anyone who has gotten big credit Paul Carter for their success. I know he's got an app with a bunch of people doing his programs.

Also given how he's so confident his way to train is the only way...has he gained any appreciable muscle in the last 5 years?

I don't know the answer to either question, but for a guy so determined to point out how right he is and how wrong everyone else is...it does leave me wondering these type of things.
I'm not an expert on him but he looked pretty jacked back in the day... unlike coach kasaam. I think that's who he got alot of his views from but now they aren't friends. I think he gets a lot of his stuff from Chris Beardsley a science guy who isn't a bodybuilder.

One thing about Paul Carter I've wondered.

Does anyone who has gotten big credit Paul Carter for their success. I know he's got an app with a bunch of people doing his programs.

Also given how he's so confident his way to train is the only way...has he gained any appreciable muscle in the last 5 years?

I don't know the answer to either question, but for a guy so determined to point out how right he is and how wrong everyone else is...it does leave me wondering these type of things.
I followed him for a short time just to see what everyone on here was talking about regarding his being a pompous ass. They were right.
As far as any clients he posted pics of they all appear to be skinny fat guys that lost fat and appear to work out but I haven't seen, or at least don't remember, seeing any mass monsters amongst his clients. Listening to him rage on about anyone that doesn't agree with him is a moron and his attitude got old very quickly. It's surprising anyone has ever put on any size without his showing us the way over all these years.

I ran JPs programming (as best I could from being on his paid site)

I stick to it. Except for legs.. I like a little more volume…usually two “hard” sets, then an AMRAP. So like leg press, 5 plates per side…2x12, then the final set I’ll go to absolute fuckery failure, with a few breaths in between reps and get 15-16 reps. Then move on.

I stick to it. Except for legs.. I like a little more volume…usually two “hard” sets, then an AMRAP. So like leg press, 5 plates per side…2x12, then the final set I’ll go to absolute fuckery failure, with a few breaths in between reps and get 15-16 reps. Then move on.
What’s an AMRAP?

I've heard the term before, isn't that just failure? Same thing?

Usually seen in powerlifting templates,
And CrossFit stole it also…not true failure, usually form breakdown as the exercise usually is with a barbell

But yes, same thing. I just use jargon that is burned into my brain from the years.

Like a PL program might say….

Squats:
4x3 @ 80%
70% AMRAP

Jordan's upper/lower is pretty much Dante's two-way split with straight sets.

His PPL is like Dorian's '87-92 routine in terms of volume.
Anyone here done both DC and this method? Can you compare?

JPs program is much easier in most gyms. With DC, having really good machines, and multiple good machines is almost a must.

As you’re doing 3 true failure mini sets. So like you need a good flat press, incline press, shoukder press, leg press, hack, bla bla.

It’s really hard to do DC DB OHP especially when you’re really strong. But you CAN ramp up to a topset of db presses, end the set. Then grab a lighter pair and one more nasty set.

JP's style is
warm-up set(s) with submaximal weight
1 set to failure, as in see the face of god
Full rest
Second set to failure, sometimes with a lower weight, sometimes not

DC is rest-pause, all out set to failure, but not past, rest 10-15 seconds, go again with the same weight to failure, rest 10-15 seconds go a third time to failure. Followed by an extreme stretch, which is essentially an iso hold in the stretch position, sometimes using a light weight, sometimes not.

JP's style is
Full rest

DC is rest-pause, all out set to failure, but not past, rest 10-15 seconds, go again with the same weight to failure, rest 10-15 seconds go a third time to failure. Followed by an extreme stretch, which is essentially an iso hold in the stretch position, sometimes using a light weight, sometimes not.
I would just note that not all DC sets are r/p. His plan also implements straight sets depending on the muscle and exercise being trained. I'm sure you know this, but I didn't want others to think everything is just a r/p for every exercise.

I can't comment on JP's training as i have not followed his exact program. I've been meaning to do it, but just haven't got around to it. I always heard he and Scott Stevenson used DC as a template for their own training styles/programs (after training DC for many years).

Ok I've been doing DC for years, did fortitude when I was at a less busy gym. I'm no stranger to failure training. I guess my question is, is it as effective? Less CNS fatigue?

I prefer doing it the way JP has it because with straight sets I can do it as lower/upper on M/T/Th/F. Everything can be trained twice a week. Rest-pause is harder on the CNS which is why it's M/W/F in DC.

I also like basing my programming on straight sets because intensifiers can be used to help break plateaus. If a program always uses intensifiers, then you don't have anything to turn to.

So chest day for me was a killer.. I’m feeling it and it’s been 3 days.

Started with
Prime chest press
-2x warm ups 15-20 reps very light weight
-2 feel sets of 3-4 reps
-2 top sets to failure (2-3 min between top sets) 8-6 reps

Prime flat press
-1 warm up
-2 feel sets of 3-2 reps
- 1 top sets to failure 8 reps
-back off set to failure

Hammer chest press
-2 top sets to failure (2-3 min rest) 12 reps with partials and 8 reps with partial

Cable flys
- 2 top sets (6-8 reps)

Then did
Triceps:
Cable push downs with the rope
-Couple of feel sets ranging from 4-6 reps
And 2 top sets of 8-10 reps to failure

Over head rope extensions
-2 top sets 6-8 reps to failure

I was done..

JP's style is
Full rest

I’m gonna make my own program including both styles into it when I start bulking ..

Good post

How did his program go?

Give us an overview of what you did my man

I prefer doing it the way JP has it because with straight sets I can do it as lower/upper on M/T/Th/F. Everything can be trained twice a week. Rest-pause is harder on the CNS which is why it's M/W/F in DC.

I also like basing my programming on straight sets because intensifiers can be used to help break plateaus. If a program always uses intensifiers, then you don't have anything to turn to.
this is one of the things Scott mentions in Fortitude is that on loading sets, use continuous reps. So still using the full range of motion, but no stopping at the top of a set to "get a breath" before keeping pushing. Yeah doing that can yield you a few more reps oftentimes, but also smokes you, and then it makes recovering and being able to train again later in the week harder. Continuous reps are hard as hell too, but by not turning every set into a mini cluster set if you will then you are able to recover better. The fortitude training book is an amazing read and full of knowledge even if you don't end up running the program.

Disastrous gear injuries have left me with a Puffy Face.

Nope, same.
If i put together 8 reps at my 1st set truly pushing to actual failure, then I'm lucky when I manage to do 6 reps at the 2nd round, after a 4' rest!
How many minutes rest in between 2 failure top sets ?

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws