mega-banner2
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Vitamin D deficiency really just Magnesium deficiency?

Can anyone clarify this? If you want to get 2g of magnesium, do you look at the actual magnesium per serving or the amount of mg per cap?

For example, if you look at the swanson premium magnesium malate, it says that 1 cap has 1000mg but that equals 133mg of actual magnesium. Would you take 2 pills (2g) or would you take 15 pills (1,995mg magnesium)?

Last edited:
Oh it definetly does, glycine used sublingually can dramatically help anxiety to give you some idea. I find citrate more on the energizing side, same with the magnesium flakes. I'd love to try a magnesium iv sometime, the girl I spoke with said it felt like rocket fuel for 2 weeks she was just bombing around feeling fantastic lol.

Shit, that sounds intriguing. And..shit, looks like I'm going to have to get anal and buy different forms of magnesium depending on the time of day I take it.

I really appreciate guys like Knight9, Dante, and others sharing all this stuff over the past year or so. I feel like the board is a healthier place now. I know I am.

Shit, that sounds intriguing. And..shit, looks like I'm going to have to get anal and buy different forms of magnesium depending on the time of day I take it.

Ah, the joy of reading a foreign language...

Half way through that phrase I thought you were getting magnesium suppositories.

biggrin.gif

Yes, I have recently realized that about magnesium aspartate. While seemingly still a good form, too much of it may not be the smartest thing to do. However, TN uses it in their ZMA formula...and I really wish they were using Magnesium Glycinate!

Is Magnesium Glycinate so relaxing that you wouldn't use it in the morning or post workout? Im contemplating getting my Magnesium up, but keeping it just under 2g like you said.
If glycinate contributes to fatigue, I might ditch TN's formula for a nighttime formula that does have glycinate...and go with taurate at other times during the day.

I'll be doing Taurate in the morning and Glycinate at night.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2

Bumping this thread.
will be reading more tonight.

Great thread. Years ago my sister had low D3. Her doctor had her on 4gr mag glycinate
And 5000iu D3 script. Dr told her the mag was more important and if she didn't absorb it she'd have to do shots, or she won't hold any D3.

I'll be doing Taurate in the morning and Glycinate at night.

Sounds pretty intelligent. Since someone said citrate gives energy, I would consider that in the AM or mid-day. Taurate is a good option and Glycinate is perfect for pre bed. I wonder if bis-glycinate has the same calming factor as glycinate...or if it's different.

Bumping this thread.
will be reading more tonight.

Right on.

Great thread. Years ago my sister had low D3. Her doctor had her on 4gr mag glycinate
And 5000iu D3 script. Dr told her the mag was more important and if she didn't absorb it she'd have to do shots, or she won't hold any D3.

Very interesting. I know 4g is what LK3 said he takes/recommends and he says he takes Taurate which he also sells. I'm sure it is top-notch but that does not always mean it's the end all-be all of Magnesium supplementation.(Meaning maybe other forms are good to utilize along with it.)

Sounds pretty intelligent. Since someone said citrate gives energy, I would consider that in the AM or mid-day. Taurate is a good option and Glycinate is perfect for pre bed. I wonder if bis-glycinate has the same calming factor as glycinate...or if it's different.

Right on.

Very interesting. I know 4g is what LK3 said he takes/recommends and he says he takes Taurate which he also sells. I'm sure it is top-notch but that does not always mean it's the end all-be all of Magnesium supplementation.(Meaning maybe other forms are good to utilize along with it.)

So the question is how much mag in the 4 grams. Seems like a lot but at 8%+ magnesium that's roughly 320-340mg of mag a day. Man I hate this shit that sometimes we find out by accident. Hence our dosing needs to be adjusted. But I am glad I now know about this 8% value when it comes to taurate.

Anyone know where to buy magnesium powder other than citrate? I have trouble swallowing large pills so I've always used citrate powder, but would rather use a better source.

Anyone know where to buy magnesium powder other than citrate? I have trouble swallowing large pills so I've always used citrate powder, but would rather use a better source.

Veteran Supplies (LK3's baby and a sponsor here) sells Mag Taurate powder.

So the question is how much mag in the 4 grams. Seems like a lot but at 8%+ magnesium that's roughly 320-340mg of mag a day. Man I hate this shit that sometimes we find out by accident. Hence our dosing needs to be adjusted. But I am glad I now know about this 8% value when it comes to taurate.

To be honest, I haven't even gotten that far...(into that realm of thinking) So how much Magnesium am I taking in 450mg of TN's magnesium aspartate? I always presumed it was 450mg of magnesium!

To be honest, I haven't even gotten that far...(into that realm of thinking) So how much Magnesium am I taking in 450mg of TN's magnesium aspartate? I always presumed it was 450mg of magnesium!

Honestly this may only apply to taurate. I haven't seen any mention about % for any other form but I'm really not sure

I've never had an energizing effect from citrate.

My protocol is:
400 mg Mag glycinate in the morning
400 ish mg mag citrate at night via Natural Calm

I skip the Natural Calm if I have time for a bath using mag flakes or Epsom Salt.

The reason I started using mag was when I had tren in my cycle last year I had terrible tren cramps. It was suggested to me to start supplementing with Mag and Taurine. Well, I found the mag local and ordered Taurine online. I wanted to start one before the other anyway so it worked out perfectly that I started supplementing with the mag 5 days prior to starting the Taurine. The result was that my cramping was completely gone before the Taurine came in the mail. My starting protocol was 800 mg mag glycinate 2 times a day.

Another use I have for mag citrate is if I'm constipated. 3 heaping tablespoons of mag citrate in the evening and I will NOT be constipated in the morning....

I've never had an energizing effect from citrate.

My protocol is:
400 mg Mag glycinate in the morning
400 ish mg mag citrate at night via Natural Calm

I skip the Natural Calm if I have time for a bath using mag flakes or Epsom Salt.

The reason I started using mag was when I had tren in my cycle last year I had terrible tren cramps. It was suggested to me to start supplementing with Mag and Taurine. Well, I found the mag local and ordered Taurine online. I wanted to start one before the other anyway so it worked out perfectly that I started supplementing with the mag 5 days prior to starting the Taurine. The result was that my cramping was completely gone before the Taurine came in the mail. My starting protocol was 800 mg mag glycinate 2 times a day.

Another use I have for mag citrate is if I'm constipated. 3 heaping tablespoons of mag citrate in the evening and I will NOT be constipated in the morning....

Strange, Magnesium Glycinate should help make you calm...do you find it effects your energy starting your day? Will too much magnesium (when you're trying to fix constipation) give you the runs when using citrate?

Well, now this makes me question if supplemental magnesium is already corrected/figured out for you. If Glycinate has 18% magnesium, then 450mg is 81mg of magnesium. When people like BPak or Poliquin are telling you to get 2-3 GRAMS in...are they talking ACTUAL magnesium or are they making it easy since they know 99% of people will be reading the labeled amounts?

Well, now this makes me question if supplemental magnesium is already corrected/figured out for you. If Glycinate has 18% magnesium, then 450mg is 81mg of magnesium. When people like BPak or Poliquin are telling you to get 2-3 GRAMS in...are they talking ACTUAL magnesium or are they making it easy since they know 99% of people will be reading the labeled amounts?

Ahhhh. Yeah. I saw this quote.

I'm not sure the elemental percentages are really relevant, unless you are compounding your own pills. Supplements are usually labeled in terms of the weight of elemental magnesium present, not the weight of the hydrated salt. The magnesium sulfate supplement that I use is 250mg of Mg, and the tablet weighs 600 mg. That works out about right considering that it also has some binders and other agents in it.

When my pills arrive I will weigh the powder and then weigh an empty cap and see what the weight of the powder is. I have a good scale for this.

That's what I was trying to ask in one of my posts. It would be good to find more info on this so that we can adjust accordingly.

Ahhhh. Yeah. I saw this quote.

When my pills arrive I will weigh the powder and then weigh an empty cap and see what the weight of the powder is. I have a good scale for this.

Are you planning to get the vitacost mag taurate?

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member