over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone Trying Fortitude Training?

Mini Truck

Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Hey Brothers of the Iron Game -

Like many of us, I change my workouts so no one workout gets repeated for several weeks. Sometimes it's rep ranges, exercises or band or chain work, etc, etc.

For as long as I can remember, it's been 5-6 days a week, mostly 6.

So it was time for another body part grouping change and a friend of mine told me about Fortitude Training.

FT is a unique program developed by Scott Stevenson, aka Homonunculas. He's one of the smartest members on ProMuscle.

FT is a 4 days a week program, entire body workouts every workout!
Sounds a bit over the top, but it works.
There's a distinct method to this madness. It uses a combination of
proven methods like volume, TUT, occlusive stretching, high reps but still includes heavy lifts. You pick the exercises. Every day is different, every workout is different.

I tell you what, it's damn intense. I'm liking it a lot! I was stagnant, this wo is changing that!

Anyone else?

Cerberus 777 and MT

I hopped on starting from day 1 of the book release!

My girl and I are both using it and have been for 6 weeks or so. There is no doubt that this program is brutal!

You may look at the number of sets and say, "meh, doesn't seem too bad..." But it will beat you down. I take the number of sets listed as my "work sets" and I do two to three heavy sets, no to failure before getting to my work sets.

This program feel more like your whole body is fatigued, not just one muscle that got beat up. It's a different kind of feeling for sure...

Additionally, the incorporation of the zig-zag pattern of exercises for legs, super sets and giant sets keeps your metabolism humming! I'm eating more and more and still lean!

My girl went made some great progress too! I wish I had good before pics, but get back isn't too shabby

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408215651.184240.jpg

I purchased the program and read through it definitely seems like a good program to try out and change things up

I wish I could, but my schedule and gym atmosphere doesn't lend itself to that style.

Scott is a wizard! Love that guy. One of a handful of people I 100% trust in this sport.

It's so different than any other method.
That's not to knock other programs, there are many effective ones out there.

I think they're all effective.
What drew me to this method was hitting everything 4 times a week.
I don't think I've ever done that!

I started with Turbo Tier lll and did it for 4 weeks.
I was feeling a little taxed but not overtrained.
So I went to Turbo Tier l for a week.

Started back today with Tier lll.
And felt great. Weights were up, pump was deep.

Keep grindin!

-MT

I just finished the Basic Tier 1 Day 1 workout. Thought it was going to be easy but now I'm laying on the couch dead tired.

No disrespect meant, but from what I have heard, it's kind of of a rip off of Titan Training from Leo Costa. Now this just what I have heard, and as i said, no disrespect meant to Homonucleus. Maybe some of you can elaborate on some of the differences between the two programs?

No disrespect meant, but from what I have heard, it's kind of of a rip off of Titan Training from Leo Costa. Now this just what I have heard, and as i said, no disrespect meant to Homonucleus. Maybe some of you can elaborate on some of the differences between the two programs?

It's not. He did use muscle rounds which he tweaked,....this is an original program.

Scott actually pays homage to Leo Costa I'm the book. The muscle round are more clearly defined with parameters and they are only performed on two days of the week. You have three different styles, loading sets (basically progressive heavy training), pump sets (Scott describes how these are to be performed and their intent) and intensity training (muscle rounds). Furthermore, there are various types of stretches to be performed as part of the program each with a given purpose. Finally, there is a different sequencing and pairing of exercises/body parts.

I've ran Titan training beginning to end, this is different.

I actually cover that in the intro of the book. I've used a 4 day / week program like TT (there is a three days / week version, too I include as a mod. I created for a client) and Muscle Rounds area term I kept intentionally (see below.)

Here are some of the things that I wanted to ensure were are part of FT. (It's been so long since I did what was my best stab at Titan training that I seriously can't recall and/or, honestly, wasn't sure how to do some of what Leo set out. Again, details in the book.)

---The three main set types are delineated precisely in terms of reps, rest intervals, FAILURE POINTS, and execution.

---There is an exercise rotational strategy (Loading sets) and progression is part of the other Set Types, too.

---There is an intentionally superimposed variety of stimuli in the different Set Types to take advantage of different aspects / stimuli for hypertrophy.

---Pump sets in particular lend themselves to a variety of fun in the gym.

---Flexibility of exercise selection is set out to 1.) Allow you to work around busy gym times and 2.) prevent overuse types of injuries / inflammation.

---Two of the days can be used when traveling (covered in the FAQ).

---Periodization and loading scheme is auto regulated.

---Loaded stretching (autoreglated) is a component of the program

---There are three volume Tiers to accommodate different recovery abilities (for whatever reason).

---There are two Versions of the program (for now).

---The intensive cruise is a specialized form of Tapering designed to prevent the "1 step back" I would sometime see with DC training.

---There is a dietary strategy.

---I include a supplement section.

---The FT book is "a bit" longer and loaded with scientific substantiation (hyperlinked throughout the e-book) for those who really like to see why I propose what I do.

I fine tuned the program with a group of Beta-testers and did it myself for well over a year to test it's limits.

---I include a FAQ on things like inclusion of cardio.

---I touch upon using FT pre-contest and off-season.

----------

I'd have to dig out TT from my packed up box of books to come up with more, but those are the things that stand out. Costa uses some different terminology, but I intentionally kept the muscle round terminology b/c I liked how he set things up (after playing with various rep / rest internal and set total variations of cluster sets).

The thing is, every program is kind of a rip off on of other programs to some extent. (We use sets and reps. Take a look at PITT Force training for something that defies that, however - kinda.) Just yesterday on another board, someone referred to a three way (Push, Pull, Legs) split as "DC." That split's older than dirt, of course, but if someone's framework is to see a 3-way as DC, then anything using that 3-way is "DC."

I really liked some of the basic framework of TT, and of course had been using DC for about a decade, modifying it a good bit in the last few years. I kept the good and added a lot more, I think.

Heck, I found and tried DC in like 2001 or so (Cycles for Pennies time frame) b/c I had come on my own to a training plan VERY similar to a DC three way. I was different substantially (as best I can recall) only in that I wasn't doing rest-pause sets. Dante set a good example in retaining the term Rest-pause, which he borrowed from Mentzer to make it clear that he wasn't trying to stealthily steal Mentzer's ideas.

So, anyhow, I overtrained (legitimately) using TT (or what I thought was intended from reading the book) in a couple months. I've been doing FT well over a year and a half now, so there are some differences there, simply in that sense. :)

Good question, though, Dionysusedge. I'd not caught wind of the "rip off" accusations (at least not that term) and hoped that including the intro. section in the book where I describe my experience with TT as a part of the genesis of FT would have prevented that. (Maybe it has somewhat.) But then again, this IS the internet... LOL ;)

-Scott

I;m gonna give it a try during the winter when my work won't effect my ability to do the program properly.

I havent tried it, been following the posts from the guys using it and it seems like a very interesting and challenging system.
For now Im getting results doing things the way I have but I certainly could see myself giving it a go in the future.

The overall idea of doing load ("base" in Titan Training), pump ("volume" in TT), & muscle rounds every week is pretty similar but there's a lot more variability in Fortitude Training. You listen to your body and adapt the the training structure as needed in FT rather than TT's fixed 12 week cycles (consisting of 8 weeks of heavy training, 3 weeks of specialization, and a week of rest). TT also has quite a bit more volume than even the higher tiers of FT (e.g. 4 or 5 sets for everything as compared to ~1-3 sets per exercise depending on which tier in FT). Those are a few of the big differences that jumped out at me in addition to the points that Scott mentioned in his response.

I'm not sure if anyone posted this.

But we all have "Go To" exercises that work very well for each of us.
FT encourages you to still do these, which is cool.

Because there is no specific exercises you have to do on any
given day, you can incorporate any and all movements.

But I think it's important to try new things on a continual basis.
Once you widen your imagination and maybe incorporate things like Bands
and Chains, it's a whole different ball game.

Try doing Muscle Rounds (4 x 6 w/ 10 second rests) on Smith Banded
Dead Lifts, for example.

You'll die!

-M:)T

Im in my 6th week of the program, and making really good progress. I've always been an HIT guy at heart, love brutal workouts. I've known for a while it was time for a change. But I just can't leave the heavy lifting completely.

Fortitude still has a heavy day done safely along with a lot of ideas you've been wanting to try but don't know how to incorporate it.

I'm not sure if anyone posted this.

But we all have "Go To" exercises that work very well for each of us.
FT encourages you to still do these, which is cool.

Because there is no specific exercises you have to do on any
given day, you can incorporate any and all movements.

But I think it's important to try new things on a continual basis.
Once you widen your imagination and maybe incorporate things like Bands
and Chains, it's a whole different ball game.

Try doing Muscle Rounds (4 x 6 w/ 10 second rests) on Smith Banded
Dead Lifts, for example.

You'll die!

-M:)T

What I like about the program is you can have your go to exercises. But also can do the ones that you've stopped doing since the weight got to high to do safely.

The MRs let you do things like deadlifts from the floor, and underhand grip rows in an intense safe way.

I might have to give this a go.

If you're older than me, its not by much. This program really has us older guys in mind, sure younger guys can benefit from it.

But us older guys know how to dig deep from years of practice, but have a few injuries that may be holding us back. Fortitude works around those issues.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Punisher13420
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws