over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Weird bicep problem I am having

thebrick

FOUNDING Member / Featured member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
For the past several weeks and quite suddenly, I have had a noticeable drop in strength in my left bicep. For the past few years my left bicep has been somewhat stronger than the right bicep due to a partial tear I had in the outer head of the right bicep. But now, it seems overnight, its reversed. Even my training partner has noticed it. What used to be an easy 45# preacher bench dumbbell curl for 8 reps, now I am struggling with 5. When I curl a straight bar, I can also feel the strength imbalance. The strange part is I have had absolutely no symptoms, signs, or a muscle tear that I would have certainly felt. The only other thing that has crossed my mind is maybe I am having a nerve issue, possibly impingement. But again, I have had no numbness or tingling at all. I should also mention, that I have shoulder issues on my left side, including severe arthritus from years of lifting. I also tend to sleep on that side a lot. So maybe it is a nerve issue?

Any ideas? I am stumped here.

See what you young turks have to look forward to when you turn into an old sack of shit? :D

Roughly one year ago my right (top of my) forearm atrophied rather quickly and in a short amount of time I had trouble even picking up a frying pan with my right arm. Mark my words as Ive been thru it and seen others go thru it....get an MRI on your spine top C vertebrae and you will find the problem. I let it go for a little bit while contemplating what was happening and my right tricep and top of forearm atrophied even more along with the right bicep (I have multiple disks that are the problem).....what caused it for me? Sleep apnea....I couldnt sleep on my back so i would turn on my sides but I needed two pillows to do so because of shoulder width or my neck would be wrenched downward....then in the middle of the night while sleeping i would turn on my back again and my head would be forced way forward by those 2 pillows. An MRI showed I lost the natural curvature of my neck and my C2 thru C7 disks were bulging......I thought it out and went on a vigourous self fixing program for myself at home along with working with my chiropractor on this....I do neck traction every morning along with other self adjustments and have gotten myself about 80% back but I have to keep at them daily. Definitely get aggresive with this sooner than later. Like i said i let it go a little bit trying to figure out if it was impingement of the shoulder on that side or suprascapular or whatever....by the time i figured it all out i was then struggling to do a 15lb dumbell curled for 12 reps on my right side.
Id get in for an MRI pronto

The first thing that came to my mind is Dam Brick, you are getting old! :D On a serious note, I sleep on my one side and had similar symptoms. I got a deep tissue massage and it helped a great deal. If that doesn't work, you might take the next step, like DC said and seek out a professional. I would not ignore it.

Since the biceps tendon runs through the AC at the top odf the shoulder it could be an impingement issue causing some nerves to be involved. I tend to agree with DC about getting the cervical spine checked for any major narrowing or problems. Barring that it might just be that something neurologcal is going on int the bif. Loss of a motor unit or two would also cause this. Innervaation of the muscle is imperative for the muscle to function properly.

thanks guys!

I appreciate it. DC you mentioned something that didn't even cross my mind about spine disc problems. I was fixated on my shoulder and possible impingement as the possible cause. I do sleep on my side a lot with two pillows for the same reasons you mentioned. One pillow leaves my head angled down, then I'll flip to my back for a while, then to the other side, etc. I do know a good chiropractor that's an ex hockey player, so I think I will try that route first and see what he has to say. I want to get to the bottom of this ASAP. Again, I appreciate everyone's input!

Have you considered the possibility of a stroke? I'd see a doctor brick, serious. Unilateral weakness of any kind seems pretty sure to signal a problem. Everything everyone else said too. All possibilities.

Take care M.

OTH

Ditto on the MRI of the cervical spine. The C5-C7 nerves supply the lower part of the arm and usually a drop in strength and/or atrophy is usually either nerve or disk related.

Roughly one year ago my right (top of my) forearm atrophied rather quickly and in a short amount of time I had trouble even picking up a frying pan with my right arm. Mark my words as Ive been thru it and seen others go thru it....get an MRI on your spine top C vertebrae and you will find the problem. I let it go for a little bit while contemplating what was happening and my right tricep and top of forearm atrophied even more along with the right bicep (I have multiple disks that are the problem).....what caused it for me? Sleep apnea....I couldnt sleep on my back so i would turn on my sides but I needed two pillows to do so because of shoulder width or my neck would be wrenched downward....then in the middle of the night while sleeping i would turn on my back again and my head would be forced way forward by those 2 pillows. An MRI showed I lost the natural curvature of my neck and my C2 thru C7 disks were bulging......I thought it out and went on a vigourous self fixing program for myself at home along with working with my chiropractor on this....I do neck traction every morning along with other self adjustments and have gotten myself about 80% back but I have to keep at them daily. Definitely get aggresive with this sooner than later. Like i said i let it go a little bit trying to figure out if it was impingement of the shoulder on that side or suprascapular or whatever....by the time i figured it all out i was then struggling to do a 15lb dumbell curled for 12 reps on my right side.
Id get in for an MRI pronto

where did you get the neck traction equipment and what type of self adjustements?

Any new info on this on Brick?
I hope your doing well - I am interested as I have a similar situation with
the cervical discs c5 or c6.

SisyphusRocks, sorry I have not responded on this lately… I have been away on vacation in the warm Mexican sun and surf.

I am going to a highly recommended chiropractor tomorrow that is also certified in ART. I am wanting for him to take a look and see if I can learn anything. I can't help but think the stiffness in the base of my neck may be related to this. I hope I can make some headway on this. Wish me luck.

Brick i had the same problem and after going to 2 doctors it was determined to be a torn muscle. doc said a good 2 months to heal itself up.

SisyphusRocks, sorry I have not responded on this lately… I have been away on vacation in the warm Mexican sun and surf.

I am going to a highly recommended chiropractor tomorrow that is also certified in ART. I am wanting for him to take a look and see if I can learn anything. I can't help but think the stiffness in the base of my neck may be related to this. I hope I can make some headway on this. Wish me luck.

I'm having the same issue currently. Wondering what the outcome with the Chiro was. Please update us.

I wonder if arthritis is the issue. I have arthritis in my left wrist from years of drumming and weightlifting, and while it hasn't really affected the size of my left bi, I'm not able to get the same strong contraction during exercise as my right bicep. The left bi doesn't have the same peak as my right bicep, as well.

good chiropractor do make big difference. I aways sleep better same night of adjustment and my coordination/bilatera balance seem to be much more enhanced. do it! hope your insurance covers it.

My update…

Hey guys, my problem has been resolved. I did go to a good chiro that was recommended to me (that also goes to the same gym I do). He is very sports oriented so I liked that a lot. He examined and evaluated my flexibility, especially in my neck. He said a huge problem was the fact that I slept with my head so elevated. I was using two pillows to support my head since I sleep on my side a lot, but then, later in the night, also sleep on my back. Not good for the neck. He seemed to think that this was causing an impingement issue and highly recommended that I sleep as flat as possible to keep my spine in natural alignment. He also gave me a neck adjustment and showed my some neck movements/ stretches to do to help "open" this area and not be so tight. I did the exercises and stretching and have been sleeping with only one small pillow these days. The problem vanished and l was pleased with the result.

Thanks for the update Brick. I am having the same exact issue and I do currently sleep with two pillows for the same reason as you did. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the update Brick. I am having the same exact issue and I do currently sleep with two pillows for the same reason as you did. I'll give that a try.

Also try this neck stretch. With your right hand gently pull your head and tilt it to the right as far as you can. While doing this, stretch out your left arm as far as you can even to the point of pointing your thumb out and back, really stretching as far as you can. Then change sides and repeat. Seemed to help me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bradyfan127
NapsGear