advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

2024 Q1 Hybrid Athlete (Fertility, Hyrox, Marathon, Military Testing)

Also changed up my programming and I’m not sure if I like it. Still working out the kinks

1)Bench work/shoulders arms+ tempo run
2) lower body hypertrophy maintenance
3) upper back work+ 100m strides
4) long run (relative to 1 mile focus)
5) bench/upper body work
6) deadlift work day+ 200s, 400s, or 800s
7) I’m dead.

That’s the usual split.

The lifting volume is definitely minimal effective volume, except deadlift and supporting accessories.

Also the “strides” are sometimes moved to the end of the long run if my legs need another whole day off. Which happens A LOT. So it’s a work in progress

You have a treadmill you can run on at a decline ?

Yessir - all your form work try running on a very slight decline. Will accentuate the proper foot strike and also allow for a slightly faster cadence / turn over.

Literally forces you into the proper groove

Dec 28
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row

Drove to Austin

General movement
30 Elliptical
30 Mobility Session

Dec 29
Both shoulders + Both knees stem cell injections at Ways2Well + a meyers cocktail

Attachments

• IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 21
Notes: Dropping test to 100mg, keeping EQ at 300mg, and adding GH at 2IU per day. Keeping 50mg oxandralone on training days. Sperm count is at 7M, would like to get it a bit higher before going down. Missed a few days of updates - please tell me what y'all want. Unsure if theres much interest in my training modalities. Positive note - did legs / sprints today, after the stem injections I can proudly say I walked down the stairs without any pain in my knees for the first time in two years!

Training
1/7/24
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row

1/8/24
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row

Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
3x3 Banded Warm Up
Strength
3x15 Lying Leg Curls
4x4 Back Squat @365 focusing on acceleration
Conditioning
4x20 Banded jumping split squats, 10 pallof press negatives, 60 seconds skierg
4x45 seconds skierg, 10 unilateral seated on floor shoulder press, 20 banded explosive back pulls
Prehab
4x20 Hyperextensions
3x20 hammer strength shoulder press
Sprints
6x30 seconds

Not going to make some crazy long post on the missed training unless everyone wants it. Some things of note - Been doing sprints fatigued at the end of sessions - This has seemingly been the fastest return to baseline I have ever had. Very comfortable in being able to hit a 6min mile right now at 221 pounds. Muscular fatigue with a fully primed nervous system has been remarkably interesting.

Notes: Dropping test to 100mg, keeping EQ at 300mg, and adding GH at 2IU per day. Keeping 50mg oxandralone on training days. Sperm count is at 7M, would like to get it a bit higher before going down. Missed a few days of updates - please tell me what y'all want. Unsure if theres much interest in my training modalities.
I definitely enjoy reading. Still absorbing so I can ask intelligent questions.
Positive note - did legs / sprints today, after the stem injections I can proudly say I walked down the stairs without any pain in my knees for the first time in two years!
That's awesome! I may need to consider something along those lines. I've had general patellar tendon pain for a solid 2 years, which I've trained around and just dealt with. But now a little accident on vacation gave me a (only grade 2) meniscus tear. So I've got some healing the do.

Training
1/7/24
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row

1/8/24
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row

Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
3x3 Banded Warm Up
Strength
3x15 Lying Leg Curls
4x4 Back Squat @365 focusing on acceleration
Do you prefer to do isolation work prior to strength work? Or is it something new you're trying?
Conditioning
4x20 Banded jumping split squats, 10 pallof press negatives, 60 seconds skierg
4x45 seconds skierg, 10 unilateral seated on floor shoulder press, 20 banded explosive back pulls
Prehab
4x20 Hyperextensions
3x20 hammer strength shoulder press
Sprints
6x30 seconds

Not going to make some crazy long post on the missed training unless everyone wants it. Some things of note - Been doing sprints fatigued at the end of sessions - This has seemingly been the fastest return to baseline I have ever had. Very comfortable in being able to hit a 6min mile right now at 221 pounds. Muscular fatigue with a fully primed nervous system has been remarkably interesting.

@cmryan Regarding the isolation work - Anything posterior chain for me takes precedence. Usually hitting hamstrings through different variations 3-4X per week. I used to be plagued with continual tears of my hamstrings, gastrocs and soleus. Would spend half the year recovering from doing stupid stuff. Since I have started prioritizing posterior chain strength it has completely alleviated my propensity to injuries. Lying leg curls are a bit unusual for me, usually standing leg curls or SLDLs etc. Was looking at the machine and had a *fuck it* moment.

Training 1/9/24
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row (right lat over-activating, mid back not pulling)

Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
5x3 Banded warm up + mobility
Sprints
6x30 Seconds @4:00 Pace
2x45 seconds @5:00 Pace
2x30 Seconds @4:30 Pace
10 Sauna

Meeting with a neurologist about some hand tremors tomorrow that have slowly gotten worse over time so didn't want to do anything too taxing on my CNS.

I always look forward to and enjoy your logs Chris! So much good information and data shared in them. I have implemented your banded warmups/activation before every training session for over a year now and they have been a game changer for me on injury prevention. My shoulders feel the best they have in many years. I appreciate all your help and information shared!

That's good to know on performing sprints at the end of weight sessions is having quicker adaptations.

To build back squat strength that was lost from time traveling, are you focusing more on increasing bar speed at a given weight for a few sessions and then once that speed has increased, then increase the weight? Using that form of progression over simply adding weight each session?

How did the appointment with the neurologist go?

@Nate Dawg Have a DAT scan scheduled to rule or Parkinsons. Looks like just an essential tremor made worse from a few TBIs. Once we rule out Parkinson's hes saying there are various modalities to help normalize the "lapse" in proper signaling basically. Solid doctor, was pleasantly surprised honestly.

On the back squat - Honestly strength seems to be simply the neurological adaptation to imposed demands. Focused on a controlled descent and relatively explosive ascent with a hard pause between each rep. I like the force = mass x acceleration. We all have the muscle mass required for a descent squat, training the muscle to move quickly though seems to be more important than traditional "strength" training. I would hypothesize doing some heavy walk outs and re racking the weight to prime the CNS as far as load and then simply doing reps at 225/315 and focusing on acceleration would yield better athletic gains than a traditional strength training protocol.

Training
1/10

Morning Cardio
30 Cycle
15 Row

1/11
Morning Cardio
30 Cycle
15 Row
60 Run

1/12
Morning Cardio
30 Cycle
15 Row
30 Cycle

Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
5x3 Banded Warm Up
Strength
3x8 Standing Leg Curls
4x6 Reverse V Squats (sprinters squats) to toe push off @495
5x5 Rack Pull + 5 Second Hold + 6 Rear Elevated Dumbell Split Squats
Conditioning
10 Row
3x30 Seconds Skierg Race Pace
5x45 Seconds Skierg + 10 Toes to Bar

1/13
COMPLETELY OFF - Sick as hell

@Performance Based

The fatigued speed work is what my coach has me doing quite often

The crazy asshole had me do box squats, reverse lunges, RDLs.

That afternoon I did had to do a 30 minute latctate threshold test….which was fucking terrible. Legs felt like limp dicks flopping around at minute 24

And I’m fucking stupid, ran in some Altras zero drop and my Achilles is killing me.

@Performance Based

The fatigued speed work is what my coach has me doing quite often

The crazy asshole had me do box squats, reverse lunges, RDLs.

That afternoon I did had to do a 30 minute latctate threshold test….which was fucking terrible. Legs felt like limp dicks flopping around at minute 24

And I’m fucking stupid, ran in some Altras zero drop and my Achilles is killing me.

Oh no! I rock Altra lone peaks as my hikers/all weather shoes. I couldn't imagine doing tempo work in them. Maybe a 20 min recovery run but shit son, running in zero drops outside of specific skill work is a hard pass for me at my weight. I love my Vivos for day to day use, my go to shoe. But besides 100-300M runs I wouldn't use them.

What did the lactate test encompass?

Oh no! I rock Altra lone peaks as my hikers/all weather shoes. I couldn't imagine doing tempo work in them. Maybe a 20 min recovery run but shit son, running in zero drops outside of specific skill work is a hard pass for me at my weight. I love my Vivos for day to day use, my go to shoe. But besides 100-300M runs I wouldn't use them.

What did the lactate test encompass?

I’m going back to my brooks glycerin GTS. I’m in pain. I’m gonna burn these altras lol

10 minute warm up shake out, then 30 minute test. First ten minutes you get your HR up and pick up pace quickly, at minute 11-30 your going as hard as you can with the intention of keeping that pace the whole 30 minutes, but it should be RPE 10.

So whatever your 30 minute “full send pace is”. Like a time trial.

Training
1/14

Morning Cardio

30 Bike
15 Row
30 Bike
30 Run (14 degrees + wind) - Coldest I have ever personally ran in. Fucking brutal. Had two sets of beats die on me after exactly 6 minutes each time. Ran inside swapped out headphones and back out. Had to grab some in the ear cabled old school head phones.

Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
4x3 Banded Warm Ups
Strength
3x6-8 Dumbell SLDL
3x3 Back Squat @365 - Explosive
2x5 Back Squat @315 - Perfect Form
General Movement
4 Rounds
30 Banded Pull Ups, 20 Band RESISTED Push Ups, 10 Zombie Sit Ups, 10 Kettle Bell Swings
5 Wet Sauna, 5 Dry Sauna, 5 Wet Sauna

Attachments

• IMG_5061.png
    IMG_5061.png
    155.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5060.jpeg
    IMG_5060.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 6
Jan 15
Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
5x3 Banded Warm Up
Strength
3x6-8 Dumbell SLDL
3x3 Back Squat @365
3x5 Back Squat @315
Movement
4 Rounds
30 Band Assisted Pull Ups, 20 Band Resisted Push Ups, 10 Zombie it Ups, 10 Kettle Bell Swings
5 Wet Sauna
5 Dry Sauna

Jan 16
Morning Cardio

30 Cycle
15 Row
30 Cycle

Afternoon Performance
10 Sauna
30 Elliptical
3x5 Banded Warm Up
Sprints
6x30 Seconds
2x20 Seconds
4x120 Seconds Skierg
Durability
4x12 Bench Press Perfect Form @225
3x5 Hammer Shoulder Press
3x8 Dumbell Shoulder Shrugs
8x20 Cable Tricep Variations
5x12 Bicep EZ Curl

Jan 17
Morning Cardio
30 Bike
15 Row
30 Bike
35 Run

Bit of a training update - Had a few Zoom calls with an individual and grabbed some new programming from him. Told him I run a performance log he has asked me not to tie his brand to the training so people don't skip out on purchasing his programming. Very happy with the changes so far. Felt like the former pure Hyrox programming was getting a bit stale and to be honest my strength wasn't coming back how I wanted it to.

Going to update the training from here on out.

Jan 23
Morning Cardio

30 Bike
15 Row

Afternoon Performance
10 sauna
30 Elliptical
5x5 Banded Warm Up
3x6 Banded TSpite Rotations
3x8 Push Up Toe Touches
3x20 Ft Waiters Carry Kettlebell Bottoms Up
Strength
3x5 Barbell Incline Press @275
3x8 Landmine Kneeling Press
Performance
3x12 Explosive Bench Press @225, 20 Explosive Push Ups, 30 Bench Dips
Stability
4x8 Plank Kettelbell Saws
3x8 Weighted Sit ups
Conditioning
6x40 foot sled push alternating with dumbell overhead walks
6x60 second skierg + 2 max effort explosive pull ups

Bit of a training update - Had a few Zoom calls with an individual and grabbed some new programming from him. Told him I run a performance log he has asked me not to tie his brand to the training so people don't skip out on purchasing his programming. Very happy with the changes so far. Felt like the former pure Hyrox programming was getting a bit stale and to be honest my strength wasn't coming back how I wanted it to.

Going to update the training from here on out.

Jan 23
Morning Cardio

30 Bike
15 Row

Afternoon Performance
10 sauna
30 Elliptical
5x5 Banded Warm Up
3x6 Banded TSpite Rotations
3x8 Push Up Toe Touches
3x20 Ft Waiters Carry Kettlebell Bottoms Up
Strength
3x5 Barbell Incline Press @275
3x8 Landmine Kneeling Press
Performance
3x12 Explosive Bench Press @225, 20 Explosive Push Ups, 30 Bench Dips
Stability
4x8 Plank Kettelbell Saws
3x8 Weighted Sit ups
Conditioning
6x40 foot sled push alternating with dumbell overhead walks
6x60 second skierg + 2 max effort explosive pull ups
Hello Performance Based,
First time poster.
I have read your posts and logs and you seem to have a completely different mentality in comparison with most people here regarding training specially when it comes to efficiency, workload tolerance, overtraining etc.

Your training looks like a well- structured CrossFit session blended with athletic training AND bodybuilding plus taking measures for making your body more resilient.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on your training philosophy, if you were always trained like this, if you ever did classic bodybuilding training and what made you change your mind and become "performance based" etc?

Thank you in advance.

Hello Performance Based,
First time poster.
I have read your posts and logs and you seem to have a completely different mentality in comparison with most people here regarding training specially when it comes to efficiency, workload tolerance, overtraining etc.

Your training looks like a well- structured CrossFit session blended with athletic training AND bodybuilding plus taking measures for making your body more resilient.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on your training philosophy, if you were always trained like this, if you ever did classic bodybuilding training and what made you change your mind and become "performance based" etc?

Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum mate - Have to choose my wording fairly carefully here. I guess first let me preface with this, I do not consider bodybuilders athletes - I would say they are artists for sure but their physical capabilities are typically woefully developed (I would almost say hindered in all sincerity by their undertaking).

My given profession requires an exceptionally high level of all around athleticism, the past few years I have been fortunate enough to work with some really fantastic coaches and have really honed my knowledge or at least begun a path that has allowed me to become data driven focusing on metrics that in my opinion really matter.

When you look at a well rounded athlete they need a few things:
Muscular size (not on the level of a bodybuilder) but enough musculature to support a level of strength, plyometric ability, and "durability" to avoid injury
Muscular strength - Neurological connection and the ability to handle stimulus
Aerobic base - ability to perform steady state activities at a fairly high level for up to two hours consistently without the addition of caloric intake nor micro nutrients
Neurological Load - The ability to perform at a high level multiple days in a row without a degradation in performance, also proper movement patterns and general kinesthetic awareness
Metabolic Functioning - the ability to process metabolic waste at a higher level to include lactate as well

I had a large surgery in 2013 and I went from a more traditional bodybuilder/runner to straight power lifting due to physical limitations, that only really lasted a year (maybe a little bit longer).

You mention various things such as efficiency, workload tolerance, over training - these are in all sincerity bodybuilding concepts to maximize the accrual of lean tissue. They have in all sincerity no place in metric based outputs.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws