over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Advice from shoulder surgery needed!!

stackdizzy

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
I was wondering how you would all go about this. I had shoulder surgery a few months ago and without even consulting me the dr cut the long head of my bicep off. It looks like i tore it which is basically what was done surgically. I thought something was up and I talked to the physical therapy people and they confirmed he cut the long head off. now as I have stated the Dr did not talk to me at all about this he said he was just going to clean up my shoulder. Would you talk to the dr about it or just go get a lawyer...or?? I am so pissed!

I know that is common for a surgeon to do this as it can resolve anterior shoulder pain and allow for the torn labrum not to cause pain any longer. I highly doubt he/she did this without you signing a paper stating he could do this. They are well aware not to do anything you did not consent for. I would talk to your doctor and let him/her know you are upset for not explaining. But a lawyer would eventually get your consent for in front of them and realize they cannot pursue litigation. Get a hold of you consent for and look at the terms or names of the surgeries you consented for.

I’d be upset to, but triple check all your paperwork! Sorry to hear of this….

Cage

Are you sure he didn't cut it off and THEN relocate it? This is quite common in older lifters during shoulder surgery to relocate and anchor the bicep.

What type of shoulder surgery was it?

My left pec was reattached in 2017. Surgeon said he removed the long head tendon, attached my pec with 3 buttons then he reattached the long head. Definitely attached it lower than it originally sat but I guess some procedures require these type of things? Just had my right pec reattached two weeks ago but surgeon (different) never mentioned anything about my other tendons. Sorry to hear about it man but once you start gaining some fullness back it most likely won’t look as bad as you think

Yea thanks for the replies it was just orthoscopic(sp). I can't believe a Dr wouldn't mention something about it at all? And no you can tell its not attached plus my recoup time would have been different. I just thought it was something that would heal at the beginning but it then become obvious. The PT folks said it was a bicep release which I haven't found anything about them re attaching it. I don't see how they operate this way even if I signed something which I dunno if I did or didnt. I was researching this. And regardless he didnt have informed consent

What is Informed Consent​

The law recognizes that a person can only legally consent to something, whether that is to allow something to occur, or to perform some act, if that person has been informed of, and understands the facts of the situation. It is only with a full comprehension of the risks and benefits of the decision, as well as an understanding of the possible alternatives, that any individual can consider whether an action would be in his best interests

Yea thanks for the replies it was just orthoscopic(sp). I can't believe a Dr wouldn't mention something about it at all? And no you can tell its not attached plus my recoup time would have been different. I just thought it was something that would heal at the beginning but it then become obvious. The PT folks said it was a bicep release which I haven't found anything about them re attaching it. I don't see how they operate this way even if I signed something which I dunno if I did or didnt. I was researching this. And regardless he didnt have informed consent

What is Informed Consent​

The law recognizes that a person can only legally consent to something, whether that is to allow something to occur, or to perform some act, if that person has been informed of, and understands the facts of the situation. It is only with a full comprehension of the risks and benefits of the decision, as well as an understanding of the possible alternatives, that any individual can consider whether an action would be in his best interests

On top of what the others have said above- Get ALL of your paperwork and notes from them BEFORE you talk to them about it or a lawyer.

It’s amazing how fast system notes and paperwork changes once you present the issue or bring a lawyer in.

He will likely claim he found it necessary once in there as imaging is only so reliable. Either way you could argue they should have woken you up to get consent before doing so.

But before doing that you have to ask yourself “what do I want from all this?” What’s done is done and you likely don’t want him to go back in so I would get that answer for yourself first.

Sucks… sorry it happened.

You probably signed consent for it and didn’t even know. As someone who’s been in on a ton of rotator cuff repairs, the ortho usually checks out the tendon around the bicipital groove. If he sees any type of fraying/wear & tear, they’re going to snip it and anchor it down.

I would talk to the Dr. to see what he had to say.
Getting a copy of all your treatment you had with him first would not be a bad idea. But if you had the surgery at a large hospital i wouldn't worry about paperwork disappearing to much as a clerk is not going to want the risk their job to save a Dr.
If what he did was fairly common for your type of surgery, then there is likely not much you can do as far as a lawsuit. Even if he didn't explain it all to you. Unless a professional will say that what he did in the surgery was not standard the case would be difficult at best. I have just got done dealing with several lawyers due to having the same surgery 3 times as the first surgery did not take care of the problem.

Well.that doesn't sound.fun! I did sign for a bicep release and should have looked at the paper work better and then asked what the he'll is this. They did cut the tendon and did not pin it back on it's just hanging. The PT guy said sometimes they will cut it if it's damaged but they knew they were going to cut it going in. It sounds like something that is common but I've never heard of it happening to anyone before but what do I know! I am just pissed off as I would have had him reattached it had I known. I went in for shoulder surgery and it turned into bicep surgery! I will probably just call an attorney next week to see if I have any options! Sounds like a long shot but why not....

Well.that doesn't sound.fun! I did sign for a bicep release and should have looked at the paper work better and then asked what the he'll is this. They did cut the tendon and did not pin it back on it's just hanging. The PT guy said sometimes they will cut it if it's damaged but they knew they were going to cut it going in. It sounds like something that is common but I've never heard of it happening to anyone before but what do I know! I am just pissed off as I would have had him reattached it had I known. I went in for shoulder surgery and it turned into bicep surgery! I will probably just call an attorney next week to see if I have any options! Sounds like a long shot but why not....

The long head of the biceps is common for athletes like us to tear over time and when they do surgeons rarely attach them. The did for Jay Cutler but that was because his physique was his money maker. But others like Larry Wheels never had it reattached. Their is a member here who works as a bounty hunter and tore his wrestling a dude and had pain for a week and then got better and never had it reattached. I would be pissed having it done and not knowing I was signing up for it but you will have less pain because of it and loose minimal strength. It might make your biceps look like it has a great peak but it should function normally from what I'm told.

when inuad my shoulder done in February they did a "long head release" but they just moved it and reattached at the shoulder because it was partially torn.
this was discussed at length what it would and could do (as well as everything else) but I went to a surgeon that deals with a lot of athletes. the surgery actually improved my bicep peak alot on that arm oddly enough

The long head of the biceps is common for athletes like us to tear over time and when they do surgeons rarely attach them. The did for Jay Cutler but that was because his physique was his money maker. But others like Larry Wheels never had it reattached. Their is a member here who works as a bounty hunter and tore his wrestling a dude and had pain for a week and then got better and never had it reattached. I would be pissed having it done and not knowing I was signing up for it but you will have less pain because of it and loose minimal strength. It might make your biceps look like it has a great peak but it should function normally from what I'm told.
Your talking about partial tears, nothing can be done unless it's completely detached.

I just had my pec reattached, that shit sucks. I'm so fucking weak. I don't know if I'll ever get back to where I was. 5 months ago. Not even close to feeling like I can life even moderate weights.

How hard did you push it?
My left pec was reattached in 2017. Surgeon said he removed the long head tendon, attached my pec with 3 buttons then he reattached the long head. Definitely attached it lower than it originally sat but I guess some procedures require these type of things? Just had my right pec reattached two weeks ago but surgeon (different) never mentioned anything about my other tendons. Sorry to hear about it man but once you start gaining some fullness back it most likely won’t look as bad as you thi

I had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders about a year apart from one another back in 2018. The supraspinatus tendon is typically the tendon that's most prone to injury & needing repair. The labrum also is a common structure injured in what's called a SLAP tear. Your ortho surgeon did what I suspect is a bicep tenodesis procedure where they cut the proximal long head and reattach it to the humerus. This is pretty normal as the bicep tendon is often partially torn/frayed and by cutting it and relocating the proximal tendon it allows the labrum and supraspinatus a greater chance of healing properly. It does change the shape of your bicep however but nothing major. As far as recovery, it really doesn't change or add any extra PT to your overall recovery time. In fact my bicep tendon recovery was quicker as there's no rotation.
I seriously doubt your surgeon would cut (release) your bicep tendon and not reattach/relocate it. Fyi, I did PT for about 3 months and was 85-90% by 8-9 months. I was about 100% a year out and have stayed that way with full ROM in both my shoulders ever since.

I have a buddy at the gym that had his 1 shoulder replaced and the bicep was not reattached as insurance would not pay for it as they said it was cosmetic surgery according to him and he had to pay for it himself.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131