over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best Shoes for training calves

I had a pair of these when they first came out (a gift, no way I would spend that much on shoes...) they were alright for leg day, but way too much of a pain to get on

Surprised no one has said Vibrams.

And no I don't wear them. I'm with Tenny. Don't think it matters.

i do have 3 pairs of 5 finger vibrams.....they are ok

take a lot of getting used to....

I have a pair with a zipper....they are easier to put on...

also I think they suck for training calves....they hurt my feet

do you have a pair? can you find out the brand and model number ?

I went shopping yesterday and just ended up not buying a pair

I saw was this **broken link removed** and this doesnt give model number

There's quite a few different waffle Reeboks it appears.

Mens Nike Waffle Racer Casual Shoe at Road Runner Sports

https://www.amazon.com/reebok-unisex-velocity-waffle-running/dp/b0017vst04

Sorry for the late response. I had these.
I wore them specifically for this reason. I have no pressure points or any discomfort. Screenshot_2017-08-08-16-43-32.jpg

Maybe I am a simpleton - but I have never once bought a pair of shoes with consideration of calve training - or any other kind of weight training for that matter. I've bought some running shoes thinking it would make running suck less - but it doesn't work - running sux fat donkey cox!
As far as the gym goes I just wears what I wears. I been wearing some Nike air something or others (can't remember name and don't care enough to get out of bed to go see ). I like em cause the have like a spandex type feel and I don't have to tie and I tie them. Plus I can wear with no socks and they breath.

I swear to begeezuz if I find out that the secret is in the shoes and I have been just Blaise about it - well I am gonna be pretteee fricking pissed!!!

Its no secret in shoes. When I do 400 lbs calve riaes I can use just about any shoes. When I go up to 850 lb calve raises I ve tried different pair and New Balance 501's I can stretch much better with overstretching my achilles ,and getting a bit further up on the ball of my toe.

I may not have the best calves, but I have brought them up in the past year going up to 850 lb calve raises. I hurt my back doing this, a trap strain , so recently been doing them on leg press, and one legged press, with the other foot assistance on those heavy sets, that said, esp on those heavy standing calves ive found for myself the shoe matters , esp a bit tighter fit than looser fit,with getting up optimally and stretching and this is only when going very heavy as in 5 reps, rest for 15-20 sets, bang out another 5 reps, rest, bang out another 3 reps

Sorry for the late response. I had these.
I wore them specifically for this reason. I have no pressure points or any discomfort.View attachment 93987

Thank you.

Its no secret in shoes. When I do 400 lbs calve riaes I can use just about any shoes. When I go up to 850 lb calve raises I ve tried different pair and New Balance 501's I can stretch much better with overstretching my achilles ,and getting a bit further up on the ball of my toe.

I may not have the best calves, but I have brought them up in the past year going up to 850 lb calve raises. I hurt my back doing this, a trap strain , so recently been doing them on leg press, and one legged press, with the other foot assistance on those heavy sets, that said, esp on those heavy standing calves ive found for myself the shoe matters , esp a bit tighter fit than looser fit,with getting up optimally and stretching and this is only when going very heavy as in 5 reps, rest for 15-20 sets, bang out another 5 reps, rest, bang out another 3 reps

Thank you.

I used to do massive weight calf presses but all it done was temporarily fuck up my knees. On leg press that would be 10-14 plates a side. I bet you would get better results using less weight and higher reps. Although there is definitely a place for heavy weight and low reps too. I would have to see a video of your form to fully know. I have tried everything for calves and they are still not there and there is no wrong answer but trust me there is no need. Heavy standing calf raises is a different story though. Loading up the leg press doesn't really do much of anything for most people in my experience. Now 20-40 slow and controlled reps does a lot. Obviously I post in relation to guys with poor calf genetics as pretty much any stimulation works for guys with good genetics.

Regarding shoes people are just overcomplicating things. It makes very little difference. But sure a flat sole may be optimal but my simple advice is whatever you feel most comfortable in. I usually wear adidas boost trainers for the gym. Ryderwear are great for legs though.

I used to do massive weight calf presses but all it done was temporarily fuck up my knees. On leg press that would be 10-14 plates a side. I bet you would get better results using less weight and higher reps. Although there is definitely a place for heavy weight and low reps too. I would have to see a video of your form to fully know. I have tried everything for calves and they are still not there and there is no wrong answer but trust me there is no need. Heavy standing calf raises is a different story though. Loading up the leg press doesn't really do much of anything for most people in my experience. Now 20-40 slow and controlled reps does a lot. Obviously I post in relation to guys with poor calf genetics as pretty much any stimulation works for guys with good genetics.

Regarding shoes people are just overcomplicating things. It makes very little difference. But sure a flat sole may be optimal but my simple advice is whatever you feel most comfortable in. I usually wear adidas boost trainers for the gym. Ryderwear are great for legs though.

yup.....you don't need to do 1000lb toe curls to build calves.....

in fact, chances are.....if your calves suck, they will probably always suck.

ive said this before....ill say it again.....
I would plow my calves into the ground (early on).....nothing.
not until I said "fuck it", Ill just have mediocre calves, and REALLY
started getting into heavy LEG TRAINING....heavy squats, heavy leg press
DEADLIFTS....every single week.....I barely paid calves any attention at all...

that's when I noticed them growing....the more and more weigh you
can handle on a regular basis makes them grow....

like forearms....guys that have big ass arms have big ass forearms....

its simple biomechanics....

so the real question should be....

whats the best LEG training shoes...????

:cool:

whats the best LEG training shoes...????

:cool:

you hate them, but OTOMIX imo

My favs... had then 5 years... puked on idk how many times...
I almost want to duck tape them i like them so much, but those otomix camos are calling my nameee...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170811-130007.jpg
    Screenshot_20170811-130007.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
If you would have asked me 1 year what do these look like I would have said stupid but I love them. Great for leg training...

2eohb15.jpg

I just bought this model for legs training, after some research this model have good reviews (^_^)**broken link removed****broken link removed****broken link removed**

Envoyé de mon BV6000 en utilisant Tapatalk

leg presses on the sled at 45 degree angle hurt my knees do. Doing them straight ahead no. Standing calves need to be gone heavy to get any kind of growth, even if its a quarter of an inch in a year of every training session pounding them with 800lbs. At least theyll look better on stage

If I get to it Ill record a video of some stuff that have worked for me. My calves have never been a strong point, I have improved them for sure.

Heres a two year video where I describe something for outer calves. I show my calves at 1:30 then describe the db held between the shoes. these are nice sometimes to bs around, and its not really bs I even think it helped
my outer and front calves a bit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2mra7rrcsU&t=35s"]Calves-all about calves - YouTube[/ame]

Obviously heavy standing and seated are best, when your all about building it heavy. and when I go balls pout in calves, I do standing and seated only real heavy.

Ive done donkey calves on the smith as well for years and dpo them from time to time.. I got this from a friend of mine Ive known since 2004. He used to write on bodybuilding.com over a decade, and owes a successful personal training co.

here he explains them here [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMn_E7Q_dLQ"]Donkey Calf Raise on a Smith Machine - YouTube[/ame]

in fact, chances are.....if your calves suck, they will probably always suck.

Youve got to be positive Tenny

rhino_on_a_treadmill.jpg

You can always improve them. Ive worked mine hard and heavy. Onstage some of it is learning to show them off place, balancing yourself on your toes a bit, verses flat on heal will the judges and audience cuts more.

I bought some Nike 's . They work. For myself certain shoes work better than others for especially standing calves , also on the dumbbell between the shoes, certain shoes work better, youve to to experiment with them and feel what works best

Personally....I like chuck Taylor's. They're flexible....and they kind of hook on the back of your heel preventing them from trying to slip off like tennis shoes can do

anyone done these ?

dave+and+arnold.jpg

Ive done them twice in the gym, one with a training partner, and another with a friend that weighs 340. I had girls snickering . One guy wouldnt sat sideways on my back, I guess he was scared of his balls touching idk. One guy refused to help me out with them and I told him Im always going to have better calves them him .

My brother has jumped on my back a lot with donkeys as well

I am limited in my gym now. But as you know most exercises can be modified. I started doing seated calf raises in the smith machine which can be good. I have tried everything. Although I wish my current gym had a seated calf raise as it's so much easier. You mean a horizontal leg press... that's all I ever use now. The issue with those for me is the weight is set at a max but it's still enough for everyone to get results. You actually described my 2 main movements in your post. The other are tibialis raises which I prefer to do them on a flat bench. I see you liked my Ryderwear pic and they are ideal for db tibialis raises. I don't overcomplicate things but they really are ideal due to the big tongue on the shoes. If I use normal gym/running shoes for tibialis raises it hurts a lot especially with bigger db's.

leg presses on the sled at 45 degree angle hurt my knees do. Doing them straight ahead no. Standing calves need to be gone heavy to get any kind of growth, even if its a quarter of an inch in a year of every training session pounding them with 800lbs. At least theyll look better on stage

If I get to it Ill record a video of some stuff that have worked for me. My calves have never been a strong point, I have improved them for sure.

Heres a two year video where I describe something for outer calves. I show my calves at 1:30 then describe the db held between the shoes. these are nice sometimes to bs around, and its not really bs I even think it helped
my outer and front calves a bit.

Calves-all about calves - YouTube

Obviously heavy standing and seated are best, when your all about building it heavy. and when I go balls pout in calves, I do standing and seated only real heavy.

Ive done donkey calves on the smith as well for years and dpo them from time to time.. I got this from a friend of mine Ive known since 2004. He used to write on bodybuilding.com over a decade, and owes a successful personal training co.

here he explains them here Donkey Calf Raise on a Smith Machine - YouTube

Youve got to be positive Tenny

rhino_on_a_treadmill.jpg

You can always improve them. Ive worked mine hard and heavy. Onstage some of it is learning to show them off place, balancing yourself on your toes a bit, verses flat on heal will the judges and audience cuts more.

I bought some Nike 's . They work. For myself certain shoes work better than others for especially standing calves , also on the dumbbell between the shoes, certain shoes work better, youve to to experiment with them and feel what works best

Last edited:
old school jumpsoles...???

LOL. Now that was nostalgic. Used to use those for plyometric training back in the day. Definitely worked to get my vert up. Unfortunately did'nt do much for building some calf muscle.

I typically take of my shoes for calf work and do them barefoot. I find I can get a much better contraction and stretch at the bottom without a sneaker on.

The very first pair of new balance minimus that came out made a huge difference for calf training. I finally threw them out last year and I still regret it.

wow, old bump

i stopped ding standing , too much pressure on spine, and at 39 , smith donkeys, one leg at a time leg press, seated, and reverse calves , my calves are just as good, better , than they were

one adjustment i made this year, is keeping my knees straighter, not totally straight mind you, well maybe light sets, put straighter, and this has made a difference

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear