over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Difference in protein sources and their effects

rollerghost

Registered
Newbies
So I am planning to do a dieting phase with kind of PSMF. I was thinking to use whey protein 40gx2 day, whey+collagen peptides 20g+20g, casein 40-80g and 10 whole eggs (60-70g protein/60g fat) a day. Or alternating with 10 eggs/400g beef (40g fat 80g protein). Maybe some cheese and few bread. So a total of about 250-300g protein and 60-80g fat. Carbs about 50g or under. So a total of about 1800-2000kcal/d. Maybe somedays only with shakes.

I was just thinking are there differences in outcomes if protein comes mainly from shakes like whey and one is not eating much meat and/or "real food"? Does someone have experience how it affects the outcomes? Mainly preservation of lean tissue. Or is it mostly the amount of protein that matters?

Is it posssible to preserve muscle as well with shakes as with real food?

Shakes were invented to feed sick people who cannot eat or digest properly.

Athletes who must consume a lot of calories introduced carbohydrate and protein drinks to facilitate their consumption.

You can live on shakes for a few weeks and be fine, but I doubt it's a good idea long term. I don't think that in this short period of time you will notice a difference in your appearance or muscle size.

In any case, when you are on a reduced calorie diet, you want as much solid food as possible to maintain satiety.

But it's great that you want to do this experiment.

So I am planning to do a dieting phase with kind of PSMF. I was thinking to use whey protein 40gx2 day, whey+collagen peptides 20g+20g, casein 40-80g and 10 whole eggs (60-70g protein/60g fat) a day. Or alternating with 10 eggs/400g beef (40g fat 80g protein). Maybe some cheese and few bread. So a total of about 250-300g protein and 60-80g fat. Carbs about 50g or under. So a total of about 1800-2000kcal/d. Maybe somedays only with shakes.

I was just thinking are there differences in outcomes if protein comes mainly from shakes like whey and one is not eating much meat and/or "real food"? Does someone have experience how it affects the outcomes? Mainly preservation of lean tissue. Or is it mostly the amount of protein that matters?

You’ll miss out on some micro nutrients with shakes, as well the digestion rate is much faster generally with say whey isolate. This can be great when trying to pound calories for a growth phase or on vacation, or post workout.

But at the end of the day it’s CICO. The volume as said above will just be much lower so you may prefer to stick with food if you can’t handle the hunger.

PSMF diet is great for anyone and their health so kudos for doing it!

When your calories are.cut back that far i think its important to make sure that the calories you do get offer more than just "calories" , if eggs and pean beef would be my first choice and some vegetables like spinach , peppers and mushrooms.

I only use shakes when trying to get more protein in or convince. When dieting hard they don't full you up at all so they do nothing for hunger

I mean a calorie is a calorie. There isnt a TON of difference in that. But youre hunger will be much better managed eating real food. That seems kind of obvious. I remember back in the day T-nation hyped up their PSMF diet where it was just shakes all day...people on that shit were fuckin starving, cravings galore and wanted to binge. If I were you, i would have meat and veggies every meal. Simple as that.

IF you are going to do shakes, go to TrueNutrition and make something similar to the Skip Formula where you have whey/egg white/casein/beef isolate and others in there. Difference digestion rates. I almost never have whey iso anymore. Any shake i DO have (maybe 1 a day PWO if im in a rush) will be a mix like that.

Why? Just eat protein that you enjoy and can digest.

Food is far superior to any supplement. Iv tried them And I think those collagen proteins are junk and ineffective. Just a cheap by product touted as a godsend and way overpriced. Just eat good food. Supplementing here and there with a whey drink is ok I usually drink them with a regular mealNothing can replace what food does in our bodies.

Yes. I got pretty much all of my protein from protein shakes for 4 months and gained muscle while doing it. I was drinking 7 protein shakes a day.

I definitely wouldn’t want to do it again though.

I find i can eat enough food to lose weight. And don't need shakes for that. And the nutrition profile is better from real whole food.

Agree with what's been said especially low calories, get real food. Nutrients, don't want to be starving. Eaa pre.

It’ll work, but as others said it’s not optimal. Man, I’d be starving all the time if all I did was consume protein shakes.

Typically for me, shakes keep me satiated for roughly 1-1.5hr tops. That’s with bananas, strawberries, and milk blended up with the whey.

Hey, we gotta member here @heavyhitter that blends up chicken breast and juice. I couldn’t stomach that, but you might. Anyways, just food for thought.

Cage

I take whey protein and….that’s it! Literally nothing else is needed. We’re all enhanced here on these boards so that helps but even without it, I wouldn’t take anything else. I have multivitamins and pills for joint support but that’s it. What else do you need?

I also use less than 700mg, of gear a week and grow just fine. Good food and low amounts of gear is all you need.

I have heard people say that when they eat fish as their primary protein source when cutting they look flatter but more thin skin. Then when they eat red meat more full, stronger. Not sure if bro science or just has to do with fat sources (saturated vs omega 3)

I have heard people say that when they eat fish as their primary protein source when cutting they look flatter but more thin skin. Then when they eat red meat more full, stronger. Not sure if bro science or just has to do with fat sources (saturated vs omega 3)
I grow better with beef than fish or chicken. Iv eaten fish diets and I def lose muscle fullness. Probably more from the lack of fat but I def grow and look fuller eating beef. Iv experimented with all
Different kind of protein sources and dieted with them all. Beef is optimal for me.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Thiccthighsshan
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131