over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Protein Powder

Strongarm

Newbies
Starting a nutrition program with a new coach and will be taking protein powder again, something I haven't done in a long time. Last time I tried taking protein powder I would get an itchy or almost swollen throat where swallowing was uncomfortable for probably 15-30 minutes after ingesting the protein shake.

I am not lactose intolerant, or at least not that I notice otherwise because I can consume dairy products without issue. Are you guys perhaps familiar with what my body might be triggering off of and provide some direction on what protein powder I should be buying / taking?

My coach recommended trying a whey isolate from grass fed beef. Interested in your opinions as experienced protein powder consumers.

Synthetek offers a gluten/lactose free wpi.

They had a thread here once comparing different brands a member did?

Always best to support the board sponsors;)

AB

Starting a nutrition program with a new coach and will be taking protein powder again, something I haven't done in a long time. Last time I tried taking protein powder I would get an itchy or almost swollen throat where swallowing was uncomfortable for probably 15-30 minutes after ingesting the protein shake.

I am not lactose intolerant, or at least not that I notice otherwise because I can consume dairy products without issue. Are you guys perhaps familiar with what my body might be triggering off of and provide some direction on what protein powder I should be buying / taking?

My coach recommended trying a whey isolate from grass fed beef. Interested in your opinions as experienced protein powder consumers.
Itchy or swollen? They are both very different things. And how uncomfortable are we talking here? Only lasts 25 minutes? Never heard of anything like that before.

Make it real simple just eat protein from whole food. Problem solved. Food is far superior anyway. What else are you swallowing 15-30 minutes after you drink it? Just don’t swallow anything for 15-30 minutes lol problem solved again.
While I agree with you on superiority, he might be following a plan provided by the new coach or is trying to easily add protein post workout or to the overall dietary needs. Also, Alzado is right...a little phlegm or itchyness is one thing, but swelling is almost a sure sign of an allergic reaction.

Can't your coach make the meal plan workout without using whey powder instead? Plenty of great protein sources available. Beef, Fish, Chicken, Lamb, Turkey, Pork, Whole Eggs, Egg whites and so on 😉.

Whey has its place for convenience, but it sounds like it is not convenient to use for you at all. I'd ditch it. The coach should be flexible enough to make your meal plan work with some small limitations imho.

Thanks for the responses gents. I am happy to support the board as long as it will work for me. The last time I did protein shakes it was your standard whey protein from Tiger Fitness. I could not physically see swelling after drinking the shake but drinking water afterward or just swallowing (saliva) causes discomfort/ pain. I did not attempt to swallow anything that was solid so I don't know if I actually had a swollen throat, but it felt like shit. Since I consume dairy no problem I assumed it was a preservative or something used in the powder as opposed to the dairy aspect.

I may just use a whole food option in place of the powder as others here have said. Probaby isn't worth the risk or headache of wasting money. Having the option of a shake is a bit more convenient but I'm ok to go the food route.

I didn't know if others here has experienced similar and potentially found a solution. Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks for the responses gents. I am happy to support the board as long as it will work for me. The last time I did protein shakes it was your standard whey protein from Tiger Fitness. I could not physically see swelling after drinking the shake but drinking water afterward or just swallowing (saliva) causes discomfort/ pain. I did not attempt to swallow anything that was solid so I don't know if I actually had a swollen throat, but it felt like shit. Since I consume dairy no problem I assumed it was a preservative or something used in the powder as opposed to the dairy aspect.

I may just use a whole food option in place of the powder as others here have said. Probaby isn't worth the risk or headache of wasting money. Having the option of a shake is a bit more convenient but I'm ok to go the food route.

I didn't know if others here has experienced similar and potentially found a solution. Appreciate the feedback.
Protein powders typically only have sunflower or soy lecithin(spray dried), and flavoring along with a sweetener (sucralose or stevia). If you don't have a dairy allergy, perhaps consider what else it may be. Also, you could try and sample a plant, egg, or beef based powder if you are motivated to find a solution while keeping your shake.

I would try a reputable company like True Nutrition or Synthetek before throwing in the towel. I don't know who Tiger Fitness is, but there are a lot of low-life, pieces of shits in this industry, who do not meet label claims, sometimes purposely, to make a dollar. Not saying this is the case with this brand, but i'd try a top reputable brand, like a small 1# order and see if it happens again. I would do this just for piece of mind.

I love whey protein, it's always been my favorite source of protein.

I would try a reputable company like True Nutrition or Synthetek before throwing in the towel. I don't know who Tiger Fitness is, but there are a lot of low-life, pieces of shits in this industry, who do not meet label claims, sometimes purposely, to make a dollar. Not saying this is the case with this brand, but i'd try a top reputable brand, like a small 1# order and see if it happens again. I would do this just for piece of mind.

Tiger has been affiliated with Marc Lobliner for a long time.

Tiger Fitness is an online supplement retailer, Mark is the CMO (his supplement company is MTS Nutrition).

The OP saying he took a protein powder from Tiger Fitness basically just tells us where it was purchased from, not the particular brand or other details, outside of it being "standard whey protein" per OP's post.

Not to knowledgeable with supplement companies.
The mention of Marc Lobliner, a good thing or bad thing?
And why?

MS
I haven't kept up with Lobliner in years but he's a veteran of the industry, been around for 20+ years. He was the one behind Scivation and their Xtend product which popularized BCAAs as a supplement.

Yes I want to be clear I am not attempting to downgrade Marc's supplements, the issue is on my end, not his products. He has lots of happy customers as far as I can tell.

Knight, I will take a look-see at those 3 options as well as some comparative ingredient lists. I expected the list to be quite long and I honestly don't have the powder any more. Haven't done a powder since before covid. For the time being I think I'll opt for the whole food option while I look at the other 3 sources.

Thanks again!

Itchy or swollen? They are both very different things. And how uncomfortable are we talking here? Only lasts 25 minutes? Never heard of anything like that before.
Muscle milk does that shit to me..I have protein shakes every day from all kinds of different brands and that’s the only one that’s ever done that

Muscle Milk back in the day used to taste great. All flavors. But I always thought it was more of a MRP. For whatever it's worth, I like Beverly UMP.

Muscle Milk back in the day used to taste great. All flavors. But I always thought it was more of a MRP. For whatever it's worth, I like Beverly UMP.
Ya muscle milk in the early 2000s was pretty good. One of my strongmen buddies was sponsored by them so I had unlimited access to it and for a few years I didn’t have to buy any. Now it’s just gross. And way too much sugar in it

When in doubt on protein or if you have any sensitivities I would highly suggest using True Nutrition (not affiliated at all) so you can control your own blend. Take the guesswork out.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131