advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

"THE THINK TANK" - A Unique Perspective into the Mental and Physical Aspects of our S

Wow!
Without a doubt that had to be life changing, if you don't mind sharing, how did it come about that there was So much blockage?
Routine check up?
Thanks for sharing.

Glad to hear all is well.

Stewie,

I wish I could give you a clear cut answer to your question. I'm a thinker by nature, and have spent lots of time thinking about these matters and I still don't have an exact all inclusive clear picture.

For as long as I can remember I've always had a stress test every two years.
Never a problem, everything always good. BP good, resting heart rate 50-60,
cholesterol good, maybe a little elevated, but with the guidelines of what the Western world views as OK. If we were raised in China before the evils of the Western influence took place around the turn of the century, 120/80 would be considered very unhealthy. 80's-90's were prevalent.

Anyways, it was time for my two year stress test, so looking at it as almost a waste of time, I went and had it done. Keep in mind, the day before the stress test happened to be leg day. I remember doing 10 sets of 15 reps with 1000 pounds on the leg press supersetted with calf raises. I followed that up with a 30 minute cardio session on the bike at a moderate level because my legs were so tired.

I felt fine, no shortness of breath, no chest pains, nothing, ready to take on the world. I think I was on some test e and deca at the time. I later learned that many times diabetics don't notice the usual warning signs, because of something called neuropathy, which is a condition that usually effects the extremities, especially the feet, where a loss of sensation occurs over time.
But it can effect all areas of the body, but people notice it mostly in their feet.

So I'm all hooked up, on the treadmill, maybe 5-6 minutes into it, when the cardiologist stops the treadmill, reviews some stuff and comes back into the room and says "we have a problem" . Next thing I know I'm having a cardiac cath, waking up from some mild sedatives, and being told the bad news.
Two weeks later, 4 1/2 hours of surgery, I wake up with a endo-tracial tube down my throat, in the ICU, morphine drip, bad time, man. A couple hours later they pulled the endo tube, a couple hours later I asked to get up to use the bathroom and with the help of a nurse and my wife (who is also an ICU nurse), made my way to the bathroom. Two days later I was released because I was doing so well. Hugely painful, on lots of pain meds. The next day I got on my Lifecycle and rode for 1 minute. I knew then that I would conquer this.

So what did I learn? Was it strictly a function of being diabetic for most of my life - definetley a contributing factor. Was it from using gear - I'm sure that didn't help. Was it from 30 years of being a huge animal protein consumer - I believe so. So in this order, after endless hours of thinking and researching, here's my analysis to what contributed to my blockages:
1. Diabetes
2. Animal Protein
3. Gear

In our lifelong quest to be our best, I would recommend buying a movie called "Forks over Knives" and watching it a few times. Use it as another tool in our "bodybuilding tool boxes".

Peace,

Mack

ps: my last leg workout (Christmas Day) I did 10 sets of leg presses for 25 reps using 630 lbs supersetted with standing calf raises. I followed up that with a 20 minute HIIT cardio session on the stepmill and yes, I'm about half way thru a very short-light gear cycle plus some peps. :yeahthat:

Yes indeed great thread and may I add the rumble roller pictured above is something fierce :eek:.
Also I'm very fond of using a lacrosse ball it hit the smaller more rounded areas of the body to hit areas where the broad foam roller might not dig into quite as much.

Hey Mack...I hear you bro, and I think it is ingrained in many of us...to persevere through the challenges and obstacles we face with injuries, bettering ourselves etc.

I believe that you and John are kindred spirits of sorts...I don't know if you've read his story...it is out there somewhere, and maybe John could slap the link here if he wishes...but like you, is an iron warrior who refuses to settle, let go, or give up.

Sorry to the OP, for taking the thread off topic...it is not my intention. :p

Ironraider,

I'd enjoy speaking with John. Have read many positive threads about him but never spoke to him thru the boards.
If you know him well enough to PM him, please do so.

Appreciate it,

Mack

Mack.
Thank you for sharing all that.
what changes have you made since that ?

Mack.
Thank you for sharing all that.
what changes have you made since that ?

You got me Aussie, I was hoping to avoid your question.
The reason I have avoided the topic is because it is so far
removed from the "bodybuilding way" that we all are so
accustomed to and programmed for - tons of animal protein:
chicken, fish, beef, eggs, dairy, whey proten, cassien protein,
etc, etc, etc. I had been there, done that for almost 30 years,
spent thousands and thousands on all that stuff we see in the
magazines.

Aussie, I would be doing the same to this day had I not have had my health issues. This August was my one year anniversary of becoming a vegan.
Was really concerned with the concept of a low protein approach.
I can honestly say I have put back my lost muscle but better than before
by consuming my protein strictly from vegetable sources and a vegetable
based protein powder.

Go ahead everyone..............ATTACK. I can handle it :yeahthat:

Peace,

Mack

V V V Below sums me up V V V

You got me Aussie, I was hoping to avoid your question.
The reason I have avoided the topic is because it is so far
removed from the "bodybuilding way" that we all are so
accustomed to and programmed for - tons of animal protein:
chicken, fish, beef, eggs, dairy, whey proten, cassien protein,
etc, etc, etc. I had been there, done that for almost 30 years,
spent thousands and thousands on all that stuff we see in the
magazines.

Aussie, I would be doing the same to this day had I not have had my health issues. This August was my one year anniversary of becoming a vegan.
Was really concerned with the concept of a low protein approach.
I can honestly say I have put back my lost muscle but better than before
by consuming my protein strictly from vegetable sources and a vegetable
based protein powder.

Go ahead everyone..............ATTACK. I can handle it :yeahthat:

Peace,

Mack

V V V Below sums me up V V V

We have a vegan on this board... how bad... matey you worry too much ;):D

Nothing wrong with being a vegan... if it suits you then good for you. I couldn't go without my meat but everyone is different.

You sounds like a really good guy. Your a great addition to this board. The fact your a vegan adds to that even more. It will be good to hear your insights as your approach is far different to most on here. You offer a new perspective. It's great to have you here :)

attack you Mack?
only respect mate.
I am happy you have found a way to gain ,and be healthy.
I do believe that mass produced meat is bad. I do believe that healthy animall is healthy food. and love my eggs.
but I do mix sometimes pea isolate into my shakes.

what are your sources of protein? what are for iron and b vitamins?
my youngest is turning now to be a strict vegetarian ,and we are worried about missing nutrients..

attack you Mack?
only respect mate.
I am happy you have found a way to gain ,and be healthy.
I do believe that mass produced meat is bad. I do believe that healthy animall is healthy food. and love my eggs.
but I do mix sometimes pea isolate into my shakes.

what are your sources of protein? what are for iron and b vitamins?
my youngest is turning now to be a strict vegetarian ,and we are worried about missing nutrients..

I thought the attack comment might get a few laughs.

Of my protein intake, the major source is a Veg Protein Powder made by a company called Natureade. Each serving size is 21g protein, I use a heaping scoop so maybe 30 grams. I eat that never less than 4 x day, many days 5.
All my other protein comes from veggies, mainly spinich and steel cut oats which have about 10 grams/serving and I eat that 3-4 times a day.
It's not an exciting diet by any means, but I'm fine with it. I think over a several day period we all eat the same food groups, I'm just a little more prone to do so because I know exactly what to expect regarding my blood sugars.

My natural source of my B's come from all the whole grains I eat. I often use wheat germ in my oatmeal meal.
I've been using Animal Pak from Universal as my multi for years.
It's like vitamins on 1500ml test a week.
I'm open to suggestions on that one?

Peace,

Mack

I sent u a PM

You definitely wont get attacked by me, you are a tough SOB, and I respect that.

Just a couple of thoughts to the group (not a lecture to Mack)..

Mack I actually do agree with you about conventionally raised meats. I believe Raider mentioned that. Simply put, the way they feed the animals leads to a huge Omega 6 to Omega 3 imbalance. This may seem like a non big-deal, but nothing could be further from the truth. The result of a O-6 heavy levels is inflammation. Inflammation contributes to blockages and other issues. Grass fed organic meats shouldn't even be thlought of in the same breath. My father in law is a cancer survivor, and he didn't want to give up his meat. They told him he didn't have to, just switch to grass-fed and he would be ok. This was one of the best cancer clinics in the country in Florida.

Here is a link to an article I co-wrote that goes into O-3 and O-6 levels and inflammation.
T NATION | Managing Inflammation

Also, the fatty acids in atheroma blockages are actually 70-75% UNSATURATED. 40 or so% of that is Polyunsaturated (Felton et al 1994).
I share this during seminars all the time, and people are stunned. Yes we can get excess Polyunsaturated fats. This is one reason why I am 100% against mega bombing omega 3. If oyu read the article we talk about monopolizing the enzymes that do the conversions etc. Also, too much polyunsaturated fat has a high likelihood of creating oxidation issues...anyways I am rambling, but just wanted to toss out some thoughts..

JM

I have one that I have been using for a while.
it is a PVC pipe and a towel rolled on it. feels harder , better for me.

I'm 47 and I love foam rolling to reduce soreness...it flat out works! Mack Truck nailed this on the head, and is highly underutilized!

I have purchased four of these rollers for the high school football team I coach and leave them in the weight room. It single handedly has reduced down time from nagging little back pains, stingers etc. Anyone with hot spots gets on a roller prior to dynamic warm ups and then again after training. I've witnessed it first hand many, many times how this device can get rid of a nagging pain very quickly.

I have three of these, one for home, one for my office (yes I get on the floor of my office and roll!) and one I take to the gym that I leave in my car or truck.

**broken link removed**

PVC center with a small amount of foam around the PVC. This is my favorite of all the ones I have used...and they are on sale!

Great read Mack Truck...thank you!

Last edited:
I feel lucky to have stumbled upon this thread. This may be a gamechanger for me to deal with the soreness

I've been doing foam rolling almost everyday (PVC rolling actually ) and its been helping my recovery immensely...especially on 0g of carbs. Found it very effective on my calves, triceps and lats. Chest I still need to figure out a little better.

On a side note...i wonder if rolling a pumped muscle post workout would have a similar benefit as DCs extreme stretching...breaking up fascia. I did this pwo after quads...it was intense.

I've been doing foam rolling almost everyday (PVC rolling actually ) and its been helping my recovery immensely...especially on 0g of carbs. Found it very effective on my calves, triceps and lats. Chest I still need to figure out a little better.

For chest, I recommend a lacrosse ball between you and a wall. It can be very awkward at first, but you get the hang of it after a while. I also use a lacrosse ball for my delts, armpit/lats, triceps, glutes (see DeFranco's agile 8), and upper back.

Easily the best roller on the market. You will never use a traditional roller again. If you are new to rolling I would start with the blue. The black is extra firm and as mentioned not a good idea to start with. If you have a professional license or cert (RN, MD, trainer, etc) OPTP.com has them for 49.95 on their professional pricing. Although they didn't verify any sort of credentials so I imagine you can say whatever you want when you sign up. $20 cheaper. You'll want to move up to the extra firm as you progress obviously.

Great thread BTW to raise awareness on the benefits of rolling. Extremely underutilized by bodybuilders.

Rex.

Rex.

ive been using one of these at the gym after every workout. it dies mae a difference in recovery and as well as muscle fullness. im not sure how, but it gives the quads and delts a fuller look.

Thanks for this. The top of my knees have been killing me lately from heavy week in/out squatting alkl these years. I have been working with an ART chiro recently and I think this is exactly what hopefully will help me.

Thanks Mack your info has definately helped. As a side note My wife already had a roller from her Yoga classes and is looking at me sideways wanting it back. LOL

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity