over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

problem training legs

vanya

Registered
So recently started getting serious about lifting again around november after a stint in the army. I am having issues with training my legs though. Whether I do squats or leg press when i started adding even a little about, we are talking 225 squat/400lb leg press, my legs are strong enough for it but I feel immense pressure in my lower back/core area. So much so that I feel like my legs are barely getting worked. When I do squats especially I get a MASSIVE pump in my lower back that sometimes ruins my workout and when i do leg presses its so much a pump but immense pressure on my lower pressure. Any suggestions? Should I keep not rush things and stay light on weight?

You should try strengthening your lower back and abs, but check your form. Your lower back shouldn't be rounded in on squats, and you butt shouldn't lift too high on leg press. For leg presses, try coming up on the pad a few inches, this helps me keep my back flat.

After workout stretch your hip flexor and lower back.

Last edited:
I feel it in my lower back also if my form gets even a little sloppy.Post above gives some great advice on form.

Agreed on leg press, keep you hips from rolling and the lower back from rounding. Depending on your structure and flexibility it will vary from person to person on how deep to go.

Have you recorded yourself doing the lifts? Great way to truly see your form yourself. And maybe you could send the video to ppl you trust to get a form check. I set my phone on a step up box leaning into a couple small plates so I can do it without asking someone to do it for me.

I record myself doing the big lifts at least once every other month or so just to keep ahead of any bad form habits from forming. Plus I upload to YouTube and send the link to a couple guys I trust to give me feedback if I start to feel pain or something is off.

You should try strengthening your lower back and abs, but check your form. Your lower back shouldn't be rounded in on squats, and you butt shouldn't lift too high on leg press. For leg presses, try coming up on the pad a few inches, this helps me keep my back flat.

After workout stretch your hip flexor and lower back.

What are some good stretches?

There are lots of youtube videos on squat biomechanics. Watch some of them and see if you fall into a certain category as well. It could be a multitude of things. It could be flexibility related. It may be core strength related. You may be limited due to your biomechanics/bone structure etc...

What are some good stretches?

Spread your legs front back like on a tight rope and go down forward trying to touch toes, keeping legs straight....that stretches your glutes, hammies, back, everything

Best stretch in the world

Try using a squat box if there's one available where you lift. It can help you with your form if that's the issue

Did you start a new compound? It sounds like you are getting back pumps.

Did you start a new compound? It sounds like you are getting back pumps.

I'm only on 200mg/ week andyes back pumps is exactly what it feels like. My legs are much stronger but my intense back pump on squats holds me back, whereas on leg press it isnt so much a back pump as intense pressure

Look into seeing a chiropractor to make sure structurally there are no issues or imbalances causing unnecessary pressure. Also could be your legs are strong, but your core is weak and not able to properly stabilize your body, causing the sensation you're feeling.

thanks for the advice everyone. Now, i know this probably seems silly but what is a good stretching routine? I know some stretches for i don't really know a "Routine" or "workout". Like which stretches and how long/how many times to perform them?

Best advice I've ever received was on youtube. Kelly Starret mobility. I am not pain free in all areas. Here is my exact warmups I do everyday.

Lower body:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fppditaxSsQ"]COMPLETE Lower Body Warmup and Mobility - YouTube[/ame]

Lower and upper body:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YncugS7BKUI"]Ultimate Upper Body Warm Up and Mobility (w/ commentary) - YouTube[/ame]

Only take 10-15minutes once you get all the movements down.

So recently started getting serious about lifting again around november after a stint in the army. I am having issues with training my legs though. Whether I do squats or leg press when i started adding even a little about, we are talking 225 squat/400lb leg press, my legs are strong enough for it but I feel immense pressure in my lower back/core area. So much so that I feel like my legs are barely getting worked. When I do squats especially I get a MASSIVE pump in my lower back that sometimes ruins my workout and when i do leg presses its so much a pump but immense pressure on my lower pressure. Any suggestions? Should I keep not rush things and stay light on weight?

Over the next 8 weeks I would focus on getting your core and back stronger and then start with scratch with squats. Start with just the bar and do 10 sets of 20 reps,,then a 45 on each side...and slowly work your way up in weight but work on maintaining the proper movement.

I agree wih keeping the hips flexible and building the core. Who cares how much weight your moving. It doesn't matter. You should make sure your loose and warmed up and then progressively go heavier. No need to go to single digit reps. Staying the 10-20 range and be safe. Biomechanics is everything.

Go on YouTube and look up videos, seeing them done is much better than me trying to explain it .

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mvdds
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws