over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Water Manipulation Precontest

TooPowerful4u

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Going to start this one off again saying EXPERIENCED posters only. I dont want to junk the thread up with anything except informative posts.

There is alot of threads on this board about water manipulation, but i have learned a lot of information over time (picking info from great competitors and prep guys along with my own personal experience) that i have not found in any of these articles. There is a lot to be discussed in this area, but here are a few things i have learned....

There is more than one path that leads to the desired point. There is not ONE method that stands out above all else. It all depends on what works for the individual, but again there is more than likley more than one way to peak that person. Different strokes for different folks.

Aldactone usage. There was always the statement that it can make you flat, but not much on why or any personal experience listed. I can personally attest here that aldactone will not flatten you out, but it can keep you from filling out. Aldactone lowers aldesterone levels in the body, which is responsible for sodium reabsorption = water retention/uptake. Now if you are not filled out, aldactone will not let you absorb sodium. Without sodium you wont uptake water. Without water you cannot uptake carbs. 1g of carbs needs 2.7g of water to be uptaken. With aldactone present, as iv experienced, you cannot fill out. If you take too many diuretics or lose too much water, you reannot reintroduct it with aldactone in your system. If you lose too much water and have aldactone in your system, you are going to STAY flat until it wears off. *** i have personally realized that when it wore off i blew up both times, the timeline matched perfectly and it was only the VERY obvious answer to my problem TWICE this year, and odds are in the past as well****

Ability to make adjustments. Iv learned that you cannot simply follow a plan written down on paper and expect it to work out just because your math and science is on point. Everyone is different, different circumstances or variables change outcome, and bodies change over time. A good bodybuilder who knows how to peak.... goes by the mirror and other methods they might have developed to guage your physical changes and progress for conditioning in order to access their current condition, and makes changes and reacts accordingly in order to properly peak.

Feel free to add any experiences or mistakes you have made along the way and your solution....or any other things you have learned or noticed though trial, error, and learning.

DISCUSSION Water loading methods (feel free to include all diuretic use in here as well)

Most people i have spoken to have told me that the method that SHOULD work best based on science (theory) is running your water high up until some time on Friday, then cut it. Doing this will lower aldesterone levels and allow your body to flush sodium=water and dry out, without allowing it time to react and rebound and hold water. This method has always caused me to flush too much water.

The method i hear used most often with great conditioned bodybuilders is the taper method. I keep being told by "guru's" not to do this, but it seems most of the bodybuilders i speak with have used this with great success. Now in theory, this would allow your body to adjust to the lack of water once you start tapering and adjust aldesterone levels and either balance it out or rebound and hold water. My only guess here is that when you rebound, you only allow yourself enough water (by tapering) to hold it intramuscularly and blowing the fuck up with superhydrated muscle cells, expanding the muscle tightly against the skin and giving the peaked result.

I have more on this, but i want to post up the thread and see some responses first before i add more and comment on posts. I would also like to hear what everyone likes to do after the cut. Do you stop completely? Do you take tiny tiny sips? Do you allow yourself a certain amount of water per meal?

Last edited:
TP...

here's a copy/ paste of what i wrote in nickyfregs thread about shitloading regarding water manipulation and what im going to try this coming weekend to help get the ball rolling in this thread...

this is what im doing for water manipulation for my show this weekend. im loading water right now (10 liters, or 2 1/2 gallons) and will continue to do so up until friday. thursday nite i stop my sodium intake. friday i will drink one gallon up until 8ish. at that time i will take 1/2 a dyazide. for the rest of the nite i will consume water as i release it, not totally cutting it out. depending on how much water i have shed, i will then contemplate another 1/2 around 3am. then as stated above 6 hours before my show i will have a high sodium/fat/carb meal with fluids, how much fluid is again depending on how i feel. after this meal 2 hours before pre judge i am going to use plasmavol to help with anything sub- q. however i will niot use another 1/2 of dyazide after my fat/sodium/ carb meal. i'll need that water in me to be full.

so in all, 2 one half tabs of dyazide before getting on stage. i'll be sure to post how it worked out for me.

from everything i have read, dyazide is the only way to go if you plan on using a diuretic. last year i ran aldactone/ dyazide and it was a mistake. i dont know why anyone would want to take aldactone when it blocks re-absorption of sodium and fluids- 2 things you need to look full. this idea (to run aldactone and dyazide), by the way, was on the advise of a 'guru'...

BFU

TP...

here's a copy/ paste of what i wrote in nickyfregs thread about shitloading regarding water manipulation and what im going to try this coming weekend to help get the ball rolling in this thread...

this is what im doing for water manipulation for my show this weekend. im loading water right now (10 liters, or 2 1/2 gallons) and will continue to do so up until friday. thursday nite i stop my sodium intake. friday i will drink one gallon up until 8ish. at that time i will take 1/2 a dyazide. for the rest of the nite i will consume water as i release it, not totally cutting it out. depending on how much water i have shed, i will then contemplate another 1/2 around 3am. then as stated above 6 hours before my show i will have a high sodium/fat/carb meal with fluids, how much fluid is again depending on how i feel. after this meal 2 hours before pre judge i am going to use plasmavol to help with anything sub- q. however i will niot use another 1/2 of dyazide after my fat/sodium/ carb meal. i'll need that water in me to be full.

so in all, 2 one half tabs of dyazide before getting on stage. i'll be sure to post how it worked out for me.

from everything i have read, dyazide is the only way to go if you plan on using a diuretic. last year i ran aldactone/ dyazide and it was a mistake. i dont know why anyone would want to take aldactone when it blocks re-absorption of sodium and fluids- 2 things you need to look full. this idea (to run aldactone and dyazide), by the way, was on the advise of a 'guru'...

BFU

It would be very interesting if you could take pictures before your carb load, then before you cut water, then on stage prejudging and put them side by side. It would give us a guage of the changes that can be made through this process and what can be expected. I like your plan and outlook and it looks as if it is going to work well and you know how to make adjustments accordingly. If i ever hit my peak, id love to do the same!

The method i hear used most often with great conditioned bodybuilders is the taper method. I keep being told by "guru's" not to do this, but it seems most of the bodybuilders i speak with have used this with great success. Now in theory, this would allow your body to adjust to the lack of water once you start tapering and adjust aldesterone levels and either balance it out or rebound and hold water. My only guess here is that when you rebound, you only allow yourself enough water (by tapering) to hold it intramuscularly and blowing the fuck up with superhydrated muscle cells, expanding the muscle tightly against the skin and giving the peaked result.

the problem with tapering as you know, is that the body will always try to remain in a state of stasis- it hates change and will fight it with a passion. so, to taper your water many think is a poor choice for water manipulation as then your body will begin to hold onto it instead of releasing it, causing you to not be as dry as you could possibly be. by flooding your body, you get it to become accustomed to vast quantities of fluids that it is going to have to keep making room for by expelling what you have already taken in, thus when you stop, it still thinks there's more on the way and it keeps expelling it like you say and bingo, bone dry.

but, i do see your point- this makes you too dry. well , why not try this if that is the case- don't load, dont taper. just keep drinking as you normally would. this will leave you with a balance of water that your body is comfortable with. then if you find you are holding a little too much for your liking, try the 1/2 dyazide you are thinking about. if you get too dry you can always add some more in.

i think the key to all of this last week manipulation, whether it be macros or water, is to truly listen to your body and find out how it reacts to certain stimulus. im sure there will be as many varied responses on here as there is each person posting. what i think the bane of so many is that they dont listen to their bodies and follow the same template many others do in the final week. who's to say there is one template that fits all? i dont believe there is- i think the 'system' is the same, but every individual needs to find what works best for them and fine tune it and tweak it to thier bodies liking.

i honestly believe so many competitors would look sooo much better on stage the day of if they just followed thier diet up until and thru the day of thier show, just dropping a little water before hand if they need to instead of mucking it all up with all these retarded carb ups/ water manipulations.

i had seriously contemplated not carbing up- just doing as i wrote above- following my diet up to and trhu the day of the show, and just using superpump 250 an hour before each judging to help me pump up and look a little fuller, but i cant get away from the temptation and promise of looking hitting my condition if i can manage it right. i just like the challenge too much.:)

BFU

BFU that is how I have done my last two shows. I loaded water up to about 8 litres per day and cut off at 1 pm the Friday afternoon. I then sipped on water (1 litre till 12 midnight). I did also start the aldactone 7 days out from the show at 1/2 tab 2x per day right up until after the show. I also used diazide 1/2 tab friday evening, 1/2 tab sat 3 hours before prejudging, and 1/2 before evening show saturday night. I agree 100% with you on the aldactone. My trainer had me use it to avoid water and sodium uptake so that I would not hold any water and it did accomplish that, but I also could not fill out at all. I was flat and lost all vascularity as my fat load and sodium load friday night did nothing for me as I could not uptake any of it with all the aldactone in my system. YOU NEED SODIUM to look full and hard as nails. It did not matter how much i tried to load up, it would just not help.
So I will be trying a method just like your also next weekend for my show. I believe if you water load properly and keep your sodium in till the end and ARE IN SHAPE, that the water comes off easy and just a bit of diazide will help in the end.

It would be very interesting if you could take pictures before your carb load, then before you cut water, then on stage prejudging and put them side by side. It would give us a guage of the changes that can be made through this process and what can be expected. I like your plan and outlook and it looks as if it is going to work well and you know how to make adjustments accordingly. If i ever hit my peak, id love to do the same!

you know, i have never posted a pic on a forum in my life, but i will do this. not for any other reason other than the hopes it will help yourself and others out. by sunday i'll have them up in this thread.

*edit* ...actually i'll take 4 pics- one before the load, one before the water drop at 9 pm. one right before the sodium/fat/carb/fluid re-introduction on sat. am. and then the p.j.

i think that the most drastic changes will be noticed in the ones before the re-introduction of fats/sodium/carbs (dry and not full) and at p.j. i doubt very much my body will change from the addition of the 40 grams of carbs i plan on taking with my six regular meals friday, but then again, i have been in ketosis now for almost 4 weeks straight, so i *maybe* there will be a slight difference with the addition of 240 g of carbs, but i dont think it will be anything noticeable.

BFU

Last edited:
hmmmmm

bro i agree, aldactone is hard to use and can easily be screwed up, i flattend out at the pittsburgh and couldnt fill out again till the next day.
i did cut water and sodium and used the aldactone.:(

now, on the other hand i switched to dyazide , drank a gallon plus even on the show day of water, did not cut my water, and if i felt a little flad had some rice,and some water and boom filled out and dried out more.:D

everyone is different but if your using dyazide why cut anything? the purpose of it is to get EXCESS water/sodium out. if you cut them, it will still pull something out and thats how you flatten out. plus it works faster and is easier to control.
i will not cut my water, sodium again. nor will i do the whole carbdeplete load again.
keep it simple, if you look great 3 days out or a week out, dont change anything.
take your diuretic, and let it di its job.
it really sucks when you diet so hard and blow it the last min trying some magic trick to ge one extra line on your leg or one more vein.

this is not advice simply what i have found to work over the past couple of years for me.
but i hear the same thing, carb deplete, load water deplete,sodium deplete, prejudge...damn im flat, smooth......day after.....holy shit i look awesome/!!!!
how many of us has this happened to???:confused:
lucian

you know, i have never posted a pic on a forum in my life, but i will do this. not for any other reason other than the hopes it will help yourself and others out. by sunday i'll have them up in this thread.

*edit* ...actually i'll take 4 pics- one before the load, one before the water drop at 9 pm. one right before the sodium/fat/carb/fluid re-introduction on sat. am. and then the p.j.

i think that the most drastic changes will be noticed in the ones before the re-introduction of fats/sodium/carbs (dry and not full) and at p.j. i doubt very much my body will change from the addition of the 40 grams of carbs i plan on taking with my six regular meals friday, but then again, i have been in ketosis now for almost 4 weeks straight, so i *maybe* there will be a slight difference with the addition of 240 g of carbs, but i dont think it will be anything noticeable.

BFU

AWESOME!

I think this will give us a great guage on what you can expect.

Now as far as what you said earlier, im theorizing that the taper might actually HELP with fullness. I remember days after my show FULL AS A HOUSE! Now if i make my body crave water, then intake ONLY enough to keep the muscles super full along with my carb up (taper water starting on thurs, start carbing up hard thurs/early fri = all available water pulled into muscles) and even though i will be rebounding there wont be enough available to sit subq and water me out. It will all be pulled intramuscular for my water craving muscles and blow them the fuck up with the assistance of the carbs and keep the sodium medium/low side. After im full i can play with a diazide IF NEEDED. Remember, the taper will be a slow process so you will have MUCH more time to adjust. I dont know if this sounds crazy or what, maybe its flawed and someone will chime in here and straighten it out for me.

AWESOME!

I think this will give us a great guage on what you can expect.

Now as far as what you said earlier, im theorizing that the taper might actually HELP with fullness. I remember days after my show FULL AS A HOUSE! Now if i make my body crave water, then intake ONLY enough to keep the muscles super full along with my carb up (taper water starting on thurs, start carbing up hard thurs/early fri = all available water pulled into muscles) and even though i will be rebounding there wont be enough available to sit subq and water me out. It will all be pulled intramuscular for my water craving muscles and blow them the fuck up with the assistance of the carbs and keep the sodium medium/low side. After im full i can play with a diazide IF NEEDED. Remember, the taper will be a slow process so you will have MUCH more time to adjust. I dont know if this sounds crazy or what, maybe its flawed and someone will chime in here and straighten it out for me.

bro if your tight 2 weeks out why not start with a high carb day o monday,then on tue judge how you look, if your flat take in some carbs if yout full cut em to a modreat day and wed thur fri do the same thing. you will be able to see how full or flat you are and adjust accordinglty as opposed to having it planned out on paper, and following it cuz it may not work like it does on paper. all you will have to adjust is your sodium and not have to worry about filling up and drying out.
this is how a lot of guys are hitting their peak now.
cutler does not deplete and load anymore and he is very consistant in hitting his peak.
just my 2 cents but why chance all that hard work for something that works on paper but may or may not work in real life.
by now you know your body, do you feel like this will work for you?
lucian

bro i agree, aldactone is hard to use and can easily be screwed up, i flattend out at the pittsburgh and couldnt fill out again till the next day.
i did cut water and sodium and used the aldactone.:(

now, on the other hand i switched to dyazide , drank a gallon plus even on the show day of water, did not cut my water, and if i felt a little flad had some rice,and some water and boom filled out and dried out more.:D

everyone is different but if your using dyazide why cut anything? the purpose of it is to get EXCESS water/sodium out. if you cut them, it will still pull something out and thats how you flatten out. plus it works faster and is easier to control.
i will not cut my water, sodium again. nor will i do the whole carbdeplete load again.
keep it simple, if you look great 3 days out or a week out, dont change anything.
take your diuretic, and let it di its job.
it really sucks when you diet so hard and blow it the last min trying some magic trick to ge one extra line on your leg or one more vein.

this is not advice simply what i have found to work over the past couple of years for me.
but i hear the same thing, carb deplete, load water deplete,sodium deplete, prejudge...damn im flat, smooth......day after.....holy shit i look awesome/!!!!
how many of us has this happened to???:confused:
lucian

I agree 110% with this post. Your shredded one week out etc... Take your dyazide, DONT cut water, DONT cut sodium and let the dyazide do its thing and take your normal water intake all through the show. Sodium is key for nutrient transport and muscle fullness/vascularity etc... when you have barely any bodyfat, sodium IS NOT evil, it is very useful and can make the difference between feeling your muscle flex/contract or feeling like a stringy, limp noodle on stage. I have also noticed, with the traditional carb deplete/load process, people keep loading after water is cut off early friday afternoon. Yams, dry oatmeal etc.... by that time, sodium is diminished, as well as water, so the yams and oats sit in your stomach (improper digestion) and your stomach is full and distended and your delts ARENT capped, nor do you bi's have any feeling once flexed.......this equals 16 weeks down the shitter.

future freak...

no one is disputing the enormous role sodium plays in filling you out. sodium is a god-send.

however sodium makes you retain water. why would you take a diuretic that is supposed to aid your body in helping you shed water when you are using a substance that naturally makes it retain?

this is like pushing and pulling on an object at the same time. the idea is to work with your body, not against it.

would it not be more logical to cut out your sodium 12 hours or so before you start your diuretic, and then re-introducing sodium along with other nutrients once you are dry?

this way, you work with your body in aidning in its water loss, and use sodium to fill back out once you are dry, with addition of fluids of course.

can you make an arguement in support of keeping sodium in straight thru, despite the role sodium plays in holding water? im curious to know your reasoning behind this.

BFU

If you are consuming water in excess and sodium is PRESENT, not loading it or any weird manipulation. You shouldnt be holding water, just excreting it. Adding in a diuretic would just help you excrete even more so, Sodium should be flushing out with the water, but enough should still be present for proper muscle contractions and keeping you somewhat full. It just seems safer to me, to following a normal diet WITH sodium present, not with high, high amounts. If you look good a few days before, why not ride it out and add a little diuretic in to dismiss a little more water? Basically, you believe cutting sodium out 12-24 hours prior to diuretic use makes more sense, because it defeats the purpose of the diuretic? It seems like a bigger gamble "re-introducing" sodium back in "once dry". How much water loss needs to happen at this point with low sodium to begin with? Whats the worse that could happen, you add in the diuretic and it doesnt do anything because sodium wasnt cut completely for 12 or so hours? Big deal, you should still look how you did 2-3 days ago and be on point right? Im sure genetics of having natually thin skin, and thick skin, will make the water loss process more or less extreme, for each person, but if you have crazy low bodyfat and paper thin skin a week out? you dont have to much water under that thin skin to begin with...........I, in no way am arguing BFU, I love this board and just want to learn from everyone as much as I can.

nah bro- no one's argueing- this is how we learn, thru debate and the exchange of ideas.

the reason i believe that sodium should not be used during the depletion process is simply because despite the amount of water you are taking in and releasing the sodium will still cause you to hold water.

1 gallon or 10 gallons, i do not believe that the amount of water you take in will negate the affects sodium has in retaining water.

thats what sodium does- causes you body to retain water. why would an excess of water change its compostion?

picture a lake at the base of a mountain the is created with a dam. now picture a larger lake above it holding many times more water than the one below. now, lift the dam on the larger lake and flood the smaller one- when all the water has run off, is the lake at the bottom completly dry? no, its still has the same amount of water because of the dam. open that dam and then you lose that water as well. that dam is sodium, the lake is the water your body will hold regardless of how much water you pass thru it.

BFU

Last edited:
So basically dont change anything take your diuretic and just keep doing what you have done the whole prep.I have a show this Saturday so this is very helpful.

ha ha , great debate . i love it :D .
i must say that most people get to confused with it and are trying to make such big science project out of it .
my question , why cutting sodium to get rid of water ? i feel like that it is not necessary . if you have a good water plan , you should be getting dry without a problem with the presence of sodium . you have to be lean enough though ,as well, to make/see the proper adjustments , that have to be made ,in order to get dry .
if someone is dry on the the day of the show ,but still flat , i'd stay away from adding additional sodium , but would add water instead .
just my 2 dollars :D

wake

I have tried quite a few methods of water manipulation and I have to say the best one for me has been a taper method, tapering down gradually from the start of carbing up, after fully carbing up I then dry out, it is hard to do both as when carbing up you need to draw water into the muscles but if you are using diuretics this is flushing water out, so hitting diuretics in the final stage allows you to be full but then pull interstitial water out without dehydrating the muscles, it takes a bit of tweaking to get the timing right but it can work very well.
As for sodium loading I have seen it work for some people but it certainly does not work for me. It is especially risky if you are carbing up using insulin due to insulins effects on sodium in the body.

????

ok we are not talking about sodium loading. just having enough to stay full and hard. still the loading and depleting for most people is a crap shoot.
if you are really hard a week out, and your sodium is high, why cut it? all that will happen is you are gonna flatten out. now we are also talking about using dyazide. which gets out any EXCESS sodium. so if you cut sodium it will pull whats left when you restrict it and you will flatten out, smooth out and look worse.
there are a million different ways to do this and everyone is different.
bottom line is get lean enough, and dont change anything but adding your dyazide. i have made the mistake in the past of not being lean enough and thought it was water. but if you are trily lean its not real easy to hold water, you can flatten out but its kinda hard to hold water.
it just sucks so bad to train and diet so hard for so long to do somthing that MIGHT work,the last 3 days.:(
lucian

i dont know for a fact and am only speculating but.....
it looks like the reason dennis james keeps missing his peak is due to last min, adjustments. there was pics posted on another board and we all know he is a freakin beast 1 week out and in 6 days completly looses everything. if he kept everything the same he would be onstage looking like he does in the gym. harder and fuller.
lucian

these are pics 2 weeks out.

Attachments

• dennis_james_pre_co07_055.jpg
    dennis_james_pre_co07_055.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 12,484
  • dennis_james_pre_co07_059.jpg
    dennis_james_pre_co07_059.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18,731
I think everyone is missing a key point in this arguement....

High water intake = lower aldesterone levels (this is the whole point of water loading). This is why you pee so much, so fast, because your aldesterone levels are low (low sodium). With low sodium, you have nothing to retain the water, so it flies right through you. Aldesterone levels dictate levels of sodium retained in the body. Lower aldesterone= less sodium retention. Less sodium in the body = less water retention.
We are already lowering sodium levels in the body by water loading. No need to lower it further. If last minute you need some diazyde so be it.

Loading sodium and loading water does not make sense to me. Yes you might be further lowering aldesterone levels slightly with the sodium load, but you are doing a good enough job lowering aldesterone by just water loading. Why add in (or loading)more of what you are trying to lower in the first place (sodium retention)? Why not let your body lower it through the water load, and keep it low by just eating normal sodium rather than eating MORE of it.

Last edited:
i have made the mistake in the past of not being lean enough and thought it was water. but if you are trily lean its not real easy to hold water, you can flatten out but its kinda hard to hold water.

great statement!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity