over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Another flat bench casualty

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Just heard that Maurice Guida tore a pec today in the "Bros Vs. Pros" bench challenge.

The challenge was to see who could get the most reps with 315.

IFBB Pro Ben White won with 25 reps.

Maurice is an amateur NPC competitor.

Think twice about flat benching...

High reps with 135 maybe, but 315, that's heavy. Not to mention you're straining to beat the last guy so you are 100% pushing the envelope.

Yup...haven't done flat bench in 3 years...dont miss it....pecs are bigger now that I dont do flats.

You could say this about any damn exercise. Deadlifts hurt people's backs. Squats hurt people's backs and knees. Hip problems, etc ... military presses cause impingement ... blah blah blah

I'm sorry but injury is multifaceted. Don't blame the exercise, blame the application!

You could say this about any damn exercise. Deadlifts hurt people's backs. Squats hurt people's backs and knees. Hip problems, etc ... military presses cause impingement ... blah blah blah

I'm sorry but injury is multifaceted. Don't blame the exercise, blame the application!

No...I'll blame the exercise. Thanks.

I would have to agree with the above statements. Don't get me wrong, I am sure you guys have been at it a lot longer than myself, but there seems like a wrong way and a right way to do everything. I always thought form was most important.

At the same time I can see someone tearing stuff in a pissing contest, since it is not something their body is use to.

As with anything, everyone's body is unique.

I know people that have heavy pressed for decades with no issues what-so-ever. I also know people who have torn muscles and shoulder girdles from just a few too many maxes.

I think there are pro's and con's to everything. Know your body and you'll know what feels natural or not.

People get hurt benching for 2 reasons, ego and technique. I see guys at my gym constantly on the bench who have no business benching, much less trying to go heavy.

Are squats bad for your knees? NO, not when done CORRECTLY. Same with bench. How you can blame the bench press for a torn pec when he was doing 315 to failure is beyond me.

If you don't want a big bench, don't train it. We all have different goals. If you're after pectoral development only, you're right, there are other exercises out there that you can do. But the bench press was, is and always will be the benchmark for pressing strength. Regardless of how many bodybuilders say it's worthless.

I've had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders and have no problems going fairly heavy on flat benches years after the surgeries. Decline and inclines are the worst for shoulders. I never had a problem with flats.

**broken link removed**

Shelby, did you see my facebook post this week about the guy from my gym? I was doing t-bar rows facing him while he was benching. Saw the bar come down FAST... and as he went back up... "Ahhhhh AHHHHHHHHHHHH!".

My goal when I get hired on at that gym is going to be to keep plenty of dust on the barbell flat benches. :)

Shelby, did you see my facebook post this week about the guy from my gym? I was doing t-bar rows facing him while he was benching. Saw the bar come down FAST... and as he went back up... "Ahhhhh AHHHHHHHHHHHH!".

My goal when I get hired on at that gym is going to be to keep plenty of dust on the barbell flat benches. :)

Yah, it's nuts. Regardless of ego or bad form (and many times it's not either of these) the bench press has got to be the most common injury among bodybuilders (probably all weight lifters).

Like Dante said, it seems like every few weeks you see a new thread pop up about someone tearing or rupturing their pec.

wow.......i know maurice well
owner of fitness plus in port jeff station L.I.

hes also a certified masters competitor;)

thats just bad news:(

Guida has been bench pressing for over 20 years.....he is known for his bench press.....been at it for a long time and I dont think its "well his form was off" on this one. He routinely benches over 500 pounds raw.

The guy Guida replaced in the Pro vs Joes contest had to get replaced because

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

he tore his pec on the bench press (strongman/bodybuilder/powerlifter)....kind of doubt his form was off too

My company Trueprotein sponsored two awesome powerlifters (who are known for their textbook form).....Mike Brown and Tim Harold. Should we blame them for the application? They both tore their pecs on a bench press.

Flat barbell bench press lovers will argue this till the cows come home....yet the numbers dont lie....everyone squats, everyone deadlifts and everyone curls bars wanting bigger biceps but for every 1 quad tear, or bicep tear there is a 1000 pec tears. If it wasnt such a manly man exercise where you didnt get asked "how much you bench dude?" everyday.....nobody would give a shit.

If you use an over/under grip then yes! Double overhand and there is far less chance for tearing/rupturing your bicep.

Exactly. I deadlift all the time, but use a double overhand grip. For military press I only use a hammer / neutral grip so my shoulders aren't rotated.

Guida has been bench pressing for over 20 years.....he is known for his bench press.....been at it for a long time and I dont think its "well his form was off" on this one. He routinely benches over 500 pounds raw.

The guy Guida replaced in the Pro vs Joes contest had to get replaced because

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it

he tore his pec on the bench press (strongman/bodybuilder/powerlifter)....kind of doubt his form was off too

My company Trueprotein sponsored two awesome powerlifters (who are known for their textbook form).....Mike Brown and Tim Harold. Should we blame them for the application? They both tore their pecs on a bench press.

Flat barbell bench press lovers will argue this till the cows come home....yet the numbers dont lie....everyone squats, everyone deadlifts and everyone curls bars wanting bigger biceps but for every 1 quad tear, or bicep tear there is a 1000 pec tears. If it wasnt such a manly man exercise where you didnt get asked "how much you bench dude?" everyday.....nobody would give a shit.

Reminds me of my neighbor across the street. He is always spouting off about how strong his bench is. He acts like his manhood depends on it. He is 50 yrs old now and just got up 405 lbs raw and has been bragging now for over a week. I keep telling him hes risking injury but he just wont listen. Guess the ego overpowers reason.

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner