over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Abnormal heart rate recovery after exercise is a predictor of mortality

I believe this is another one done...

MMS: Error

Background

The increase in heart rate that accompanies exercise is due in part to a reduction in vagal tone. Recovery of the heart rate immediately after exercise is a function of vagal reactivation. Because a generalized decrease in vagal activity is known to be a risk factor for death, we hypothesized that a delayed fall in the heart rate after exercise might be an important prognostic marker.

Full Text of Background...
Methods

For six years we followed 2428 consecutive adults (mean [±SD] age, 57±12 years; 63 percent men) without a history of heart failure or coronary revascularization and without pacemakers. The patients were undergoing symptom-limited exercise testing and single-photon-emission computed tomography with thallium scintigraphy for diagnostic purposes. The value for the recovery of heart rate was defined as the decrease in the heart rate from peak exercise to one minute after the cessation of exercise. An abnormal value for the recovery of heart rate was defined as a reduction of 12 beats per minute or less from the heart rate at peak exercise.

Full Text of Methods...
Results

There were 213 deaths from all causes. A total of 639 patients (26 percent) had abnormal values for heart-rate recovery. In univariate analyses, a low value for the recovery of heart rate was strongly predictive of death (relative risk, 4.0; 95 percent confidence interval, 3.0 to 5.2; P<0.001). After adjustments were made for age, sex, the use or nonuse of medications, the presence or absence of myocardial perfusion defects on thallium scintigraphy, standard cardiac risk factors, the resting heart rate, the change in heart rate during exercise, and workload achieved, a low value for heart-rate recovery remained predictive of death (adjusted relative risk, 2.0; 95 percent confidence interval, 1.5 to 2.7; P<0.001).

Full Text of Results...
Conclusions

A delayed decrease in the heart rate during the first minute after graded exercise, which may be a reflection of decreased vagal activity, is a powerful predictor of overall mortality, independent of workload, the presence or absence of myocardial perfusion defects, and changes in heart rate during exercise.

That sounds like a great study. High confidence level in the null hypothesis. Just another thing we all need to be mindful of IMO. Thanks for yet another study that backs up the previous.

bump for more heart info.

A lot of good info here. I guess I'm going to have to try and find some articles I've seen on this topic

BUMP

Bumping this thread I started, I think some good info here. Something to think about.

Last edited:
Thank you. Nice article.
I volunteer at a local university as a exercise research participant. They wont take me anymore because I fail their mandatory for 40+ stress test. Had nuclear stress test says nothing wrong, have athletic heart

Last edited:
Thank you. Nice article.
I volunteer at a local university as a exercise research participant. They wont take me anymore because I fail their mandatory for 40+ stress test. Had nuclear stress test says nothing wrong, have athletic heart

Could be the beginnings of cardiomyopathy. This is not normal. I would see a cardiologist and see about getting an echocardiogram, that will tell the full story.

bump

bump for those that might be interested. another way to see if youre in bad health.

Bump for newer folks that haven't read this article yet. I think it is quite good.

This is good stuff, but FUCK. My HR can be quite high (90+) after a hard training session. Also sister has tachycardia which isn't good.

This is good stuff, but FUCK. My HR can be quite high (90+) after a hard training session. Also sister has tachycardia which isn't good.

Well, 90+ is fine if it doesn't take too long to come down. It should take just a few minutes to come down to a more normal rate. Hopefully you are ok.

Well, 90+ is fine if it doesn't take too long to come down. It should take just a few minutes to come down to a more normal rate. Hopefully you are ok.
It's often 90+ for a couple of hours after like a heavy leg workout. I've reduced caffeine down to half a cup of coffee pre Workout, and it's helped.

It's often 90+ for a couple of hours after like a heavy leg workout. I've reduced caffeine down to half a cup of coffee pre Workout, and it's helped.

Shouldn't be like that. Measure what it is when you wake up in the morning, when you are still lying in bed.

Shouldn't be like that. Measure what it is when you wake up in the morning, when you are still lying in bed.
I've done that with my bp for over a week. Averages 70-75 when waking up. Sometimes 80 if I'm super stressed with school or something.

Very minimal gear use (3 weeks into first cycle), some low dose GH peptides, but that's it. BP was elevated in the beginning after starting AAS, but I brought it down with proper supplementation, and cardio.

I've done that with my bp for over a week. Averages 70-75 when waking up. Sometimes 80 if I'm super stressed with school or something.

Very minimal gear use (3 weeks into first cycle), some low dose GH peptides, but that's it. BP was elevated in the beginning after starting AAS, but I brought it down with proper supplementation, and cardio.

Sounds normal to me. Perhaps you just need to do more cardio and perhaps increase its intensity.

Hear rate can go up due to metabolic things like having high blood sugar after a meal.

Last edited:
Sounds normal to me. Perhaps you just need to do more cardio and perhaps increase its intensity.
I'm going to try incorporating more cardio sessions per week. I'm young, and have no aspirations of being the next "Ronnie Coleman", so my health is a top priority. Thanks.

I'm going to try incorporating more cardio sessions per week. I'm young, and have no aspirations of being the next "Ronnie Coleman", so my health is a top priority. Thanks.

More cardio is always the cure for many health issues but I don't think you should worry too much

I used to be an endurance athlete in highschool.

I tend to think that "fast recovery speed" is indicative of overall cardio health. Another indicator of good cardio health is having a reasonable resting heart.

When I was in supreme cardio shape, I recovered extremely fast from almost any kind of exercise. My resting heart rate was also about 45-50 beats per minute. I'd never have issues breathing from any daily activity, and I just felt "good" almost all the time. I also noticed I could hold my breath for long periods of time without much of a problem.

Now... 15 years, and 150lbs heavier..... I feel physically bad for several hours after brutal leg and back workouts, where my hear-rate gets very high. It takes a while to come back down. This has concerned me... but I'm not sure what to do about it, other than try to get into better cardio shape.

I know there are a multitude of factors, but the more I think about it.... it would seem that being in supreme cardio shape would probably assist your bodybuilding efforts:
1) You recover faster between exercise sessions
2) You can train longer, and harder
3) You can train more often
4) You generally sleep better

When I started bodybuilding, I was a 130lb ex-runner with limitless endurance. I had no idea what I was doing in the gym, but I'd do high volume "bodybuilding" workouts for hours on end, and do them 5-6 days a week. It would almost certainly be labeled as "over training" on the internet forums, but it worked.

I felt that it was fine, because I was able to recover from all of it. I certainly don't recall gasping for air after heavy sets, or taking hours to recover from workouts like I do now.

However, I gained 30lbs in a few months, and 40 more lbs over the next year without any drugs.

Last edited:
I used to be an endurance athlete in highschool.

I tend to think that "fast recovery speed" is indicative of overall cardio health. Another indicator of good cardio health is having a reasonable resting heart.

When I was in supreme cardio shape, I recovered extremely fast from almost any kind of exercise. My resting heart rate was also about 45-50 beats per minute. I'd never have issues breathing from any daily activity, and I just felt "good" almost all the time. I also noticed I could hold my breath for long periods of time without much of a problem.

Now... 15 years, and 150lbs heavier..... I feel physically bad for several hours after brutal leg and back workouts, where my hear-rate gets very high. It takes a while to come back down. This has concerned me... but I'm not sure what to do about it, other than try to get into better cardio shape.

I know there are a multitude of factors, but the more I think about it.... it would seem that being in supreme cardio shape would probably assist your bodybuilding efforts:

1) You recover faster between exercise sessions

2) You can train longer, and harder

3) You can train more often

4) You generally sleep better

When I started bodybuilding, I was a 130lb ex-runner with limitless endurance. I had no idea what I was doing in the gym, but I'd do high volume "bodybuilding" workouts for hours on end, and do them 5-6 days a week. It would almost certainly be labeled as "over training" on the internet forums, but it worked.

I felt that it was fine, because I was able to recover from all of it. I certainly don't recall gasping for air after heavy sets, or taking hours to recover from workouts like I do now.

However, I gained 30lbs in a few months, and 40 more lbs over the next year without any drugs.

Being in great cardio shape is so important for so many reasons, can't stress it enough.

Being in great cardio shape is so important for so many reasons, can't stress it enough.

The first dilemma is that getting into great cardio shape requires TIME.... it won't happen quickly (it may take months or years).

The other dilemma is that getting into great cardio shape requires lots of EFFORT.... it doesn't happen easily (it will require intense activity... it does not happen by walking).

I was running intensely everyday for 1-2 hours training for competitive varsity track and cross country.

Granted, that is probably overkill for what is required for bodybuilding... but it took me several years of consistent, real effort to reach what I considered to be good shape.

I would think that that much intense cardio activity would either be catabolic, or it would dramatically cut into the recovery of your leg muscles. It may also burn too many calories.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
nohara5216
NapsGear