Votes: 79 40.5%
  • 2 - 3 minutes

Votes: 30 15.4%
  • 3 - 4 minutes

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • +4 minutes

Votes: 6 3.1%

• Total voters
short rest breaks, 60 seconds or so, would be easy when u do nothing but warmup sets.
unless u start heavy and reduce the weight with each set. otherwise, how would u do a consistent rep range?

It really depends on if I am working out with someone else. If I am by myself then it is 30 sec to a minute (I get bored real quick) if I am working with someone else it normally turns into a couple of minutes.

Pretty long. I love to blast one all out set to absolute failure, give it 5 minutes or so then do the same on next exercise. With a warm up/ feel set of its same body part or a few warm ups if new body part. If I'm not happy that I hit true failure on a set I will drop weight a little and try again about 5 minutes later. On the occasion iv do a little volume work or supersetting ill give it about 30-60 seconds but don't count.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

I only do 2 sets per exercise. I take 3-4 min. Between so I am fresh and all out.

5 secs to 3 mins... it changes all the time.

Pretty long. I love to blast one all out set to absolute failure, give it 5 minutes or so then do the same on next exercise. With a warm up/ feel set of its same body part or a few warm ups if new body part. If I'm not happy that I hit true failure on a set I will drop weight a little and try again about 5 minutes later. On the occasion iv do a little volume work or supersetting ill give it about 30-60 seconds but don't count.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

I do the same thing when working hams, quads, and glutes. All other body parts are around 30-40 seconds.

I knock it down from the large bodyparts upper-body from 2-3 min down to 1-2 minutes.
Lower body everything except the squat was 3 minutes.Squats where 3-5 minutes down to around 2 minutes.

I pretty much keep my rests at around 30 seconds to a minute or minute and half. This I do to keep my heart rate high during the workout and to achieve the maximum pump. To much rest does not give optimal results in my opinion.

For major lifts it takes a few minutes. When I'm finishing off with hammer strength or something like arms I do both.

I agree on most replies but it depends on what type of physique you want to create. If you're cutting a significant shorter time between sets to create a cutting effect and a longer rest period for growth and strength for maximum effect. But all good replies..

Here's an interesting slide show of a meta-study on training variables, including rest periods, and how they affect hypertrophy.

**broken link removed**

Depends on what my goals are... if i'm cutting the rest times are between 30sec to 60sec.

Bulking, 1min to 2min but then it depends on muscle group worked as some take longer to recover from intense lift than others.

When cutting I try to keep rest periods to a minute between sets. When bulking I'll change it to 2-3 minutes between sets.

If you are doing lots of reps with light weight.. I suggest you complete your reps and then immediately go onto a different muscle group, work your way through them all without rest in between ... then come back and do it again.... so that you are working continuously for at least 45 minutes. (building areobic capacity, toning muscle mass and burning body fat).

If you are doing low reps (5-10) with lots of weight (to the point of failure)... .... start with 4 minutes and add an extra minute of rest to every set. (building muscle mass)

ATP is the first energy pathway lasting for about 1.5 seconds. As you are cascading out of ATP you use creatine phosphates lasting about another 6-7.5 seconds. Finally you use glucose and glycogen.

It takes the mitochondria about 90 seconds to synthesize ATP. It also takes about 90 seconds to flush out lactic acid.

If I'm lifting 85-95% 1rm range, trying to get 2-4 reps, and don't rest at least 90 seconds to let mitochondria re-synthesize ATP I might miss a rep. That's 25-33% of my set. I probably rest 2 full minutes at this load.

If I'm doing 7-12 reps I still rest at least 60-90 seconds and not as worried if I miss a rep.

If I'm doing high reps - slow twitch muscle fibers - 12-30 reps I'll either rest 30-45 seconds for small muscle groups that don't require high oxygen debt, or for large muscle groups I'll rest until I can breath almost normal.

As long as I need to. 30 seconds to 5 minutes is a pretty solid range.[emoji6]

Go by feel but try to emphasize shorter breaks for hit principle

depends on the goals your setting for your body. shorter rest periods for cutting and longer rest periods for strength and mass building. listen to your body it knows best when its ready.. keep lifting:headbang:

I like to try and keep it between 45 sec to a min. for most body parts legs being the exception. But I guess I should clarify the only exercise that I need to go about 2-3 min on is squats. Most every other exercise falls in the 45 sec to 1 min.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
PenguinPiss
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131