over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

HYPERTROPHY: best training, number of sets and reps

number of reps

• Total voters
for myself 8-10 on chest/shoulders/bis and 10-12 (even as high as 15) on everything else seems to get things growing :)

I voted 6-8, but thats a goal- an average, sometimes I make 8, sometimes 6, often 4, sometimes 20, depends on exercise, body part, fatigue, etc. As long as you push and work each post warm up set to your fullest, you are doing all you can.

the problem with rep ranges is how one does that particular range.. if joe does his 10 reps 3 seconds down and 1 second up is he doingthe same as bob who does his 10 reps 1second down and 1 second up?.. the answer is no... but both will post that they do 10 reps.. rep cadence makes up for alot.. so rep ranges are arbitrary at best..

the problem with rep ranges is how one does that particular range.. if joe does his 10 reps 3 seconds down and 1 second up is he doingthe same as bob who does his 10 reps 1second down and 1 second up?.. the answer is no... but both will post that they do 10 reps.. rep cadence makes up for alot.. so rep ranges are arbitrary at best..

Yup lats i totally see your point!

i dont like 6 reps but dorian swares by it but if you what his blood and guts his 6 reps takes like 25 seconds to lift wich is longer then some guys ten reps.

SB

Yeah we might make another poll for time under tension per set.
Less than 20 seconds
20-35 seconds
35-50 seconds
50 seconds plus

I am currently doing 2 sets of 50 with little weight before, after increasing the weight 15-12-10-8, my muscles seem to burn. I Pienda is good change from time to time the method of training, not because it is better to level of training is best for our own feelings, it makes us feel better.

#1 Use a compound movement Pyramid up in weight 3-4 sets to warmup and then do one set to failure 4-8 reps to trigger a growth response.

#2 Use an isolation movement to Pump blood into the muscle with 6-7 sets of 12 reps for sarcoplasmic hypertrophy.

#3 Use a stretch movement for 1-2 sets.

That's all you need to do....from a training standpoint:D

Triple drops are amazingly effective for achieving both heavy weight movement and time under tension. Having your training partner strip the weight for you cuts down the rest time between drops. I have found that they are an amazing rut buster as opposed to doing straight sets. For example:

Flat Bench:

365x6
315x6
255x6

Of course you have to use some crazy plate combinations to arrive at this drop, but it's worth the extra math.

I'v trained most of my life in the 8-10 rep range.

I consider anything under 5 more strength

Recently have been doing more sets of 12

which is the training, number of sets and repetitions that you think is best for a hypertrophy training?

There isn't a single answer to this for all individuals.

Assuming your rest and nutrition are on point, there are three variables which matter:

Intensity (as in % of one-rep max)
Volume (# of sets and reps)
Frequency (how often you repeat the routine)

Increasing one variable will mean decreasing one or both of the others.

The research and lots of anecdotal evidence points to a frequency of 2-3 times/week being optimal from a hypertrophy standpoint.

I know that I started BB'ing in the 1990's and everyone was advocating high intensity, moderate to low volume, once per week workouts. So that is exactly what I did, for years. And my results were spectacularly mediocre. When I switched to training everything twice/week my body practically exploded.

That doesn't mean that there aren't people out there who will thrive on once/week training. And I am certainly not saying that you are wrong if you choose to train that way. If you are getting the results you want, then by all means, stick with what is working for you.

But there is a reason that virtually every recent routine (HST, Phil's system, DC, etc.) has incorporated a higher frequency approach - and that is because it produces results. We know that 48 hours post-training protein synthesis rates are essentially back to baseline in a trained muscle. And we know that muscular contraction upregulates androgen receptors for a brief period. The data is out there and it is conclusively in favor of higher frequency.

Doing mentzer heavy duty training right now.. A few warm up sets with each movement, then 2-3 working sets at 6 reps... very slow down, and moderate up... good time under tension....did 2 movements for legs and one calf movement, and im sore as hell....in and out of the gym in 50 min...

nothing works. out of all the training methods i have tried nothing made me much bigger than the other. just train intensely in whatever you are doing. eat your food and go to bed.

Last edited:
I like to change it up and push as close to failure as I can. For example I like to do 12 reps for my first set that will get me to 90% failure.

Next set I will increase the wieght and there should be no way i should be able to hit 12 reps so then I would do a drop set to finish the 12 reps.

I do this with a progression of 4 sets.

Work outs like squats, bench, military press though I stick to the standard pyramid just to be on the safe side and keep the work out going fast.

Volume works for me. I just keep hammering the same lift.

3-4 sets 3-4 exercises per body part
1st set with about 50% for 12-16 reps
2nd set with about 60-80% for 10-12
3rd set with about 80-90% for 8-12
4th set with max weight to failure for 6-10 depending on exercise might fail on 12th rep or as high as 20th rep.

You will all laugh at me but that's fine.

The truth...

Just train the muscle only taking the last set to
Positive failure in each exercise. Incorporate explosive, slow descents, 1-2sec contraction, 5 sec reps(meaning slow both up and down, dead stop, pause reps, anywhere from 8-12 for most exercise do explosive exercise lowest 6 reps, keep rest Time short just enough to
Catch your breath. More importantly train by feel if you want to pyramid up in weight do so , if you pyramid up to a weight and like the feel of it and want to do 5 sets at that weight instead of pyramiding up for only 2 more sets do it

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
dirtyjoe8605
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131