Quads - Squats, Squats and more Squats

Calves - Sprinting or running hills or steps

Hams - Stiff Leg deadlifts

Chest - Incline Bench Presses

Biceps - Standing Barbell Curls

Delts - Seated Military Press

Triceps - Close Grip Bench

Back - Barbell Rows

These exercises except for calves, should be done Heavy for maximum growth.

pitbull-
i did wide grip upright rows with the cable last night and felt no pain
this is the first time i have done upright rows of any sort(wide bb or db doesn't work either) where I didn't wake up the next day in pain

if this pans out well, i may keep using it. although i have to say, side laterals seem to hit my delts harder....but we'll see what happens

kubes- i hate lunges , how do you do them consistently w/o pain?

pesty- i swear, if i used those exercises as my primaries for growth, i would shrink big time. compounds never worked well for me except for back/hams...not sure what to say. must be nice being able to bench and grow from it(for chest or tris lol)

Last edited:
pitbull-

i did wide grip upright rows with the cable last night and felt no pain

this is the first time i have done upright rows of any sort(wide bb or db doesn't work either) where I didn't wake up the next day in pain

if this pans out well, i may keep using it. although i have to say, side laterals seem to hit my delts harder....but we'll see what happens

kubes- i hate lunges , how do you do them consistently w/o pain?

pesty- i swear, if i used those exercises as my primaries for growth, i would shrink big time. compounds never worked well for me except for back/hams...not sure what to say. must be nice being able to bench and grow from it(for chest or tris lol)

Where do they cause you pain? I don't do weighted lunges. I do them at the end of my training to completely finish off the legs. I like more reps rather than more weight. I get the pain from working the muscle but no other pain. They have been great for helping develop my legs but they sure do not add the size of doing compound lifts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kneecaps.

when i train legs, its very quick and painful
i pick movements that will cause maximal growth for my body while utilizing the absolute least amount of volume

i dont want to add lunges with just bodyweight at the end because the reality is...i'll have other movements that are far more effective and this will only cut into my recovery time(cons outweigh the pros)

if i could do them weighted, i would see it as a great way to tie in the end of quads and beginning of hamstrings. i do feel that they are an effective exercise, but i would definetly have to add some weight to it i can't see it doing much for me with just BW, especially since i keep leg training to about <20 minutes

Last edited:
Yes that makes a lot of sense. At my age my body just can't take the heavy weight the way it used to. With disc injurys and other past injurys I have to find other ways to overload the muscle with out putting the pressure on my spine that I could do when I was younger. I completely understand why you do it that way and after 20 minutes of heavy training on legs I am sure you are pretty spent

heavy is a relative term bro, i don't think it's necessary to train heavy on legs to make them grow. you can do a 15-20 rep set using slow negatives and it will feel real heavy at the end heh.

if you can train heavy without pain or risk of injury, and you get better results, then props to you.

i am one of the people that stopped training legs heavy. i switched to really 'focusing on the muscle', 4-5 second negatives and explosive positives etc. the pain is actually much worse IMO and it's a very different feeling. my quads have grown quite a bit since i started doing this.... all those heavy sets weren't really doing anything for me IMO.

lol this reminds me of when lee haney told me he only used...like 2 plates on back squats while training for the olympia despite the fact he could squat 500 in his early 20's. i used to think that was completely ridiculous....and here I am now realizing how right he was.

Last edited:
heavy is a relative term bro, i don't think it's necessary to train heavy on legs to make them grow. you can do a 15-20 rep set using slow negatives and it will feel real heavy at the end heh.

if you can train heavy without pain or risk of injury, and you get better results, then props to you.

i am one of the people that stopped training legs heavy. i switched to really 'focusing on the muscle', 4-5 second negatives and explosive positives etc. the pain is actually much worse IMO and it's a very different feeling. my quads have grown quite a bit since i started doing this.... all those heavy sets weren't really doing anything for me IMO.

lol this reminds me of when lee haney told me he only used...like 2 plates on back squats while training for the olympia despite the fact he could squat 500 in his early 20's. i used to think that was completely ridiculous....and here I am now realizing how right he was.

This is exactly what i mean when i say find other ways to fatigue the muscle. Negatives and super sets are both amazing for my leg training. I can do squats right in to a super set on the leg press machine and just destroy my legs fast

1 super set leg curls 20 rep,squats 20 reps.seated leg etensions20 rep,postively no rest between exercises.Can't walk if enough weight is used.Try it 30 days 2 x weekly and see the improvements.

Chest - I have no frikkin clue!!! Ive tried everything you can think of and my chest has always been my week point! Point blank doesnt grow!!!!

Delts - Wide grip upright row to the sternum with a 2 second hold at the top of the movement. Lying side lateral raise. Both in the 15-20 rep range.

Lats - Underhand shoulder width grip pulldown to the sternum with a good arch in the lower back. Width - Underhand Hammer machine row really concentrating on keeping tyhe back arched and using the arm as a lever!

Hams - Stiff leg deadlift, fuckin heavy but 12-15 reps range!

Quads - Pre exhasting all movements with leg extension using chains haging off the machine with a brief pause at the top of the movement. No body movement just slow controlled movement all the way through the rep range.

Bis/tris - rarely train them - they just grow!

Calf - Leg press donky calf movement! Right up on the toes, pick a weight you can manage 20 reps with and just sit it out till youve done 50 reps with it! Fuckin hurts but thank me later!!!

Stew:cool:

anabolic2k, ever try using hammerstrength and cable flies exclusively for chest? i bet it'll help

Quads: Heavy, high rep squats (ex. 405x15,495x10)

Hams: GHR

Shoulders: HGH

Chest: Hammer Strength bench

Bi's: High rep BB curls

Tri's, calves: no clue

Back: Wide grip full ROM pull ups, deadlifts

Traps: Deadlifts

Nice topic, btw.

Quads: Squats, 12+ reps

Hams: Don't know. My hams are garbage.

Shoulders: Military press.

Chest: Incline (20 degrees) Dumbbell press.

Bi's: BB or camber bar curls

Tris: I don't have them. :eek:

Back: Deadlifts and Hammer Strength Low Rows

Traps: Dumbbell shrugs 12-15 reps. Squeeze at the top, slow on the way down, let them stretch for a few seconds. I have Goldberg traps naturally.

Calves: Donkey calve raises. 3 sets of 20 or 25 reps. Squeeze at the top, slow on the way down and stretch. Another natural gift. I haven't trained for 7 years and my calves are over 17 inches. Makes up for the lack of triceps.

Last edited:
anabolic2k, ever try using hammerstrength and cable flies exclusively for chest? i bet it'll help

I have bro! We have the incline, flat and decline Hammer press machines in our gym and I used them almost exclusively for 12 months! Love the incline and flat and strength went up nicely! The decline however just gave me right shoulder problems. Still no real growth in the chest though. I've currently gone back to DB decline and incline work, heavy wide dip work and lots of cable x-over work. See how we go this time!?

I have bro! We have the incline, flat and decline Hammer press machines in our gym and I used them almost exclusively for 12 months! Love the incline and flat and strength went up nicely! The decline however just gave me right shoulder problems. Still no real growth in the chest though. I've currently gone back to DB decline and incline work, heavy wide dip work and lots of cable x-over work. See how we go this time!?

How about heavy dumbbell flys?

Chest - incline db
Back - heavy t-bar rows with the v handle on a bar = amazing growth
Biceps - heavy preacher curls

Legs - bb lunges
Hamstrings - regular deadlifts more so than SL deads
Calves - 21's

Shoulders - heavy seated db press
Triceps - heavy overhead db press

Regarding the T-bar rows with a v-bar hooked underneath (I just call them traditional T-bar rows), I couldn't agree more. Nothing, and I mean nothing has even come close to making my entire lats grow more.

Many guys confuse their lats with their teres major, often referring to them as their "upper" lats. Lots of guys have great teres major and comparatively shitty lats. Dennis Wolf is one example. He has tremendous T. major development--just massive, which adds tremendous width to his upper back, but once you get down to his lats their is very little thickness.

Many guys underestimate just how big the T. major can potentially get...and they're absolutely essential to developing maximum upper-back width, BUT they seem to be much easier for BB'rs to target than the lats themselves. If anyone says they have poor development in the inner and lower lats, then they have poor lat development period, as that is where 90% of the lats are located.

There is no such things good "upper" lats and poor "lower" lats. That is like saying someone has good lower biceps and poor upper biceps. Now, we can transfer more or less stress to the inner/outer biceps depending on positioning, but whichever head is being worked, it will be activated equally from top to bottom...at both insertion points. We can't increase or decrease stress on the upper/lower biceps, as the muscle fibers pull from both insertion points equally in order to lift the weight. You can't work one end of a muscle fiber without working the other. This is why we never see anyone with massively developed lower biceps and poor upper biceps, or vioce versa. Any differences in shape is simply due to genetics and/or varied levels of development between the inner biceps, outer biceps, and brachialis.

It is the same way with the lats. The muscle fibers run from the very top of the lats to the very bottom. You can't place more or less tress on one end of a muscle fiber. You either work the entire muscle fiber or you don't work it at all. This is why I find it funny when I hear guys say that they need to work on their "lower" lats, as if their upper-lats are comparatively overdeveloped. This is nonsense.

We hear all the time how things like wide grip pulldowns/chins work the upper lats and close grip pulldowns/chins work the lower lats, but in reality, this is not true. Wide grip chins tend to place more stress on the T. major, which will cause the upper-back to widen considerably. The T.major is a potentially large muscle originating under the armpit. However, we only see a portion of this muscle when flexing our back. Most of it is hidden from view, as it runs underneath the upper portion of the lats. So, when this muscle is developed, it makes it look like the upper lats have gotten bigger. This is why we see so many guys who seem to have big upper-lats up by the armpit, but very little meat once you get below that point.

Good lat development is easy to spot, but few guys have it. This is because they don't know how to actually work their lats. The traditional T-bar row is one of the best pure lat builders...and is a great alternative for anyone who can't seem to get the hang of Yates 70 degree rows. When done properly, this single exercise will pack slabs of beef running along each side of your spine all the way from your hips to your lower traps and fanning out all the way up to the insertion point by your armpits. When you are working your lats properly, the entire lat will grow. If just the upper portion of your lats seem to be growing, then it is likely you aren't growing your lats at all, but rather, your T. major.

Last edited:
How do you guys hit the delts with lateral raises the best? I feel laterals a lot in my traps

How do you guys hit the delts with lateral raises the best? I feel laterals a lot in my traps

Try using a lighter weight. Also, I like both db and cable variations.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahFence
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws