advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

What macro do you increase first for lean mass?

What macro do you increase first for more mass?

• Total voters
Great thread and probably one of the most relevant questions regarding bodybuilding nutrtion. It all comes down to nutrient partitioning. Those with superior genetics are almost immune to putting on body fat. Others like myself will typically gain at 65/35 lean mass to fat ratio.

Of course this ratio will get worse as you approach genetic lean mass limits. This limit can be pushed forward greatly via hormone manipulation.

The question is, can macronutrient ratios affect nutrient partitioning? Let's assume protein is fixed at 1.25 gm per pound. Will the remaining carb and fat calories proportions really make a difference?

There are so many competing theories to support both higher carb and higher fat. IMO, it really doesn't matter much. I also wouldn't go ultra low on either. It's probably easiest to simply keep protein constant at 1.25x and then add equal amounts of carbs and heathy fats to keep the scale moving slowly upward.

It usually comes down to preference and performance. Some guys feel like hell on lower carbs and some thrive. I'm not so sure either group's composition would be affected as much as they think by raising either macronutrient, but energy level and strength will certainly affect things.

Finally, if you're prone to gaining fat, you probably need to rely on training and cardio to help keep your lean bulk from getting out of control. I like to set a waist circumference limit and end the bulk when it is reached.

This is MY personal experience with macros. I have a great(imo) BB'ing coach who went out of his way to look at my bloodwork, asking specific questions to assess my personal macro ratios. Long story short, he found out i am very carb sensitive.Along with my AAS/GH/SLIN blast, Yes i do take T3 everyday, and Humalog only on training days to be specific. Long story short(again) i didnt know such an assessment to assign specific macro ratios would be that necessary. I am currently at:
40% protein
40% fats(olive oil, fish oil, fatty grass fed beef(ribeye), palm oil, coconut oil, avacado oil)
20% carbs

HOWEVER....on training days when i dose Humalog, my macros remain the same with the exception of HBCD with my pre workoout slin dose, and intra workout nutrition, and carbs with my PWO Humalog dose.
Does this make sense?
Sooo in fact my macros are higher on training days as Humalog has come into the picture.
Results are body is recomping, quality muscle size and density gains so far, so my results tell me in fact, IT DOES MAKE SENSE.....to me.
7th month on this particular macro ratios.

Last edited:
Protein for sure.

Protein shake in middle of night, yes waking myself up

back in 2004 before I ever used a hormone, I did this and and got my biggest and strongest. I was 230 lbs, not lean, not fat, squatting 405, doing lying tricep extensions with 120-130 lbs -4-6 x's, and heavy bicep curls

needlessness to say I trained this way too long and messed up my elbows, but at the time I got my arms massive, and at 6ft2 and 230 lbs with 15-20% bodyfat- maybe more like 17 %, without ever using a hormone, I considered that an accomplishment.

You want to gain muscle size or you want to gain weight?

EAT MORE PROTEIN!!!

I kick my carbs up. My protein is always high.2-2.5 per lb. I tend to feel better this way. I'll first make sure all sups are on track then I start to shift my cabs up and protein down. I keep my fats about the same. 60-80. My first jump in calories is 500. I try to hold out jumping up to fast but usually say fuck it and add another 500 in a few weeks. By the 6th week I'm around 4500. I'll start am cardio at this point to keep fat down. Cardio tends to increase my appetite.

110% or expect to regret it!

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
bttywllsns01
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner