advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you care about the quality of your eggs?

Do you buy high quality eggs?

• Nah, eggs are eggs bro.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I do buy a higher quality egg

Votes: 42 60.0%

• Total voters
Gunsmith u and I r lucky living in the country with an abundance of farms and farmers and livestock. Most of my neighbors' chickens produce more eggs than they know what to do with. They just give em away by the dozen. I've had plenty of both types of eggs and I can't taste the diff. but my mind prefers the free range organic. I've seen the big chicken farms and they look pretty disgusting. I'll take my neighbors free organic eggs any day of the week.

I care very much about the quality of my eggs.
I eat many eggs daily, usually raw. I used to get grocery store eggs, and always noticed they didn't smell too great, even before cracking the shell. The taste is a little different too, sort of 'eggy' if that makes any sense.
The yolk was weak and faint colored.

I finally got some free range organic ones from Trader Joe's, they were about twice the cost but the smell was fresher, the taste was much better, and the yolk was more colored and solid.

My wife and I have a small ranch property and always wanted to make a little self sustaining farm..... chickens for eggs, cows for raw milk, and a field of veggies and fruit trees.

We already have some fruit trees planted and filled a coop with 3 hens and a rooster. We are planning on getting a mini cow soon (large cows put out far too much milk daily, and they need to milked frequently). The mini is perfect for a family to live off of.

The eggs my hens lay are the best I have ever had. The yolk has a deep, rich color, and the white is thick and gooey. The shells are firm, and the smell is very fresh. The yolk is so firm that they plop in the bottom of the glass really hard and splash out a little, compared to the junk eggs that pretty much flatten out or the yolk breaks completely.

Here's my coop, one of the hens is lying on her eggs under the ramp to the right....
7434818788_674a355c50.jpg

I use cheap eggs when only eating the whites, but use the good eggs(cage free omega etc) when eating the entire thing.

I use cheap eggs when only eating the whites, but use the good eggs(cage free omega etc) when eating the entire thing.

^^^ thats a pretty damn good idea. I'm eating mostly whites now for my cut, but I can buy just 2 dozen high quality eggs and mix 2 or 3 yolks in when I need to.

Good call bro. You ever buy the whites from Eggology? they sell those things by the gallon lol.

Get two glasses and put them side by side.

Break a cheap "factory" egg into one, and a free range egg into the other.

Look, smell, and taste the two eggs.

If you can't tell the difference, then don't spend the extra $.

To me, there's no comparison - almost as if they were completely different foods. The only similarity I notice is they both have shells, whites, and yolks, and there are obvious differences in all three.

Exactly. Everything is different... from the shell being stronger to the yolk being bright and simply having more life in it. What I mean by that is it's bright orange compared to the dull yellow of a cheap egg. Make scambled eggs with both eggs and put them side by side and then you will see the difference in quality.

Fine fine Ill dish out the extra $ for farm fresh eggs. Now I just have to find them in phoenix

I care very much about the quality of my eggs.
I eat many eggs daily, usually raw. I used to get grocery store eggs, and always noticed they didn't smell too great, even before cracking the shell. The taste is a little different too, sort of 'eggy' if that makes any sense.
The yolk was weak and faint colored.

I finally got some free range organic ones from Trader Joe's, they were about twice the cost but the smell was fresher, the taste was much better, and the yolk was more colored and solid.

My wife and I have a small ranch property and always wanted to make a little self sustaining farm..... chickens for eggs, cows for raw milk, and a field of veggies and fruit trees.

We already have some fruit trees planted and filled a coop with 3 hens and a rooster. We are planning on getting a mini cow soon (large cows put out far too much milk daily, and they need to milked frequently). The mini is perfect for a family to live off of.

The eggs my hens lay are the best I have ever had. The yolk has a deep, rich color, and the white is thick and gooey. The shells are firm, and the smell is very fresh. The yolk is so firm that they plop in the bottom of the glass really hard and splash out a little, compared to the junk eggs that pretty much flatten out or the yolk breaks completely.

Here's my coop, one of the hens is lying on her eggs under the ramp to the right....
7434818788_674a355c50.jpg

That's awesome TNH!!

I purchased 30 acres last fall and we have been growing all of our own vegetables, growing our own chickens for eggs and meat, and I am fencing off a few acres to raise a couple cows. I think if you can control what's going into your food all the better. Free range eggs are the best hands down. The taste and texture is completely different. Looking forward to grass fed beef in the future.

A friend of mine sales me farm fresh eggs straight out the chicken every week. They are all different colors and shit, but sooooooo much better tasting. Cheaper too, I pay $1.00 a dozen.

My wife buys the free range eqgs for my little girls and i get the cheap store bought eggs and you can tell the difference.The eqq shells for one are a lot thinner.I wouldn't mind buying couple chickens to get the eggs from.

I use Yolks from a from chickens raised at the country side and egg whites from the store.

Fine fine Ill dish out the extra $ for farm fresh eggs. Now I just have to find them in phoenix

Treader Joe's and Whole Foods have good qaulity ones. They are all over the Phoenix area. There are a few farmer markets around town also.

I usually try and buy grain fed chicken eggs without hormones, but the big ass bakers box falls into my cart sometimes.

You serious? Sprouts, trader joes, frys to name a few

Treader Joe's and Whole Foods have good qaulity ones. They are all over the Phoenix area. There are a few farmer markets around town also.

Depending on where you are in Phoenix, I can tell you a couple places to get em fresh from the farm too

This thread was 2.5 yrs old...but yes pastured or free range.

I'm lucky that I can get free range from a farm for the same price as the cheapest store bought cage eggs. If i couldn't I would make do with cage eggs as I have other things to prioritise my spending on

My dad raises chickens and has about 5 different types laying. They lay brown, white, even green eggs. I've done a taste test with store bought eggs and nobody could tell a difference in taste. The only differences I could tell is there's more consistency in size from store bought. The yolk is a little brighter than the store bought, but usually slightly smaller.

Free Range
As applied to chicken eggs, this term is essentially meaningless. While the USDA has defined the meaning of “free-range” for some poultry products, there are no government-regulated standards in “free-range” egg production required to make the claim. Egg producers have jumped at the opportunity to print some new labels and charge a couple extra bucks in return for giving their hens occasional access to a tiny patch of dirt. According to the Department of Agriculture, egg “producers must demonstrate to the Agency that the poultry has been allowed access to the Outside” In other words, there needs to be a door to the chicken cage, and it needs to be open part of the time, but the chickens can still eat substandard food and live in cramped conditions. A “range” can range from being a full-fledged pasture (not likely) to a 10 x 10 patch of manure and dirt (more likely). Chances are, most free range chickens rarely even venture outside. Why would they? Their food is usually inside. A 2010 study from North Carolina State University found that Omega 3 levels were higher at 0.17% in the free range eggs vs. 0.14% in the cage eggs. However, the study concluded that “this amount of difference between the eggs would not have an impact on human nutrition.”

Cage Free
Even more meaningless than “free range,” this term has no legal definition. Technically, cage free hens don’t live in stifling metal cages; instead, they might still live in stifling, overcrowded hen houses! Some cage free hens’ lives aren’t much qualitatively better than those who live in cages and most still aren’t getting any access to the outdoors.

Omega-3 Fortified
As far as these go I think it's the same story as grass fed beef it's so minimal you would be better off buying fish oil if your that concerned with getting more Omega's. Probably a lot more cost effective too. I get grass fed beef for free also and don't care for the taste of it and my wife refuses to cook it because it smells up the house when you cook it.

Natural Eggs
According to the USDA, "natural" eggs don't contain any artificial ingredients or added colors, and are only minimally processed. But, "there are no defined limitations to treatment of animals or the environment in which they reside. Has anyone seen where chickens live? They eat everything and turn it in to a dirt lot. They eat worms, bugs, rodents, snakes, anything in there reach and it's all covered in chicken shit.

Organic Eggs
Under the USDA provisions, organic eggs must contain only organically-produced ingredients and processing aids (excluding water and salt).
"To use this label, eggs must come from hens that are given food free of animal byproducts, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and other chemical additives. Additionally, hens must only be given antibiotics if an infection is present. However, the term "organic" has nothing to do with the way hens are treated, and a 2010 study found that organic eggs were not healthier than non-organic eggs, despite the higher price tag. It all boils down to personal choice. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the marketing though.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws