advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Do you care about the quality of your eggs?

Do you buy high quality eggs?

• Nah, eggs are eggs bro.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I do buy a higher quality egg

Votes: 42 60.0%

• Total voters
My dad raises chickens and has about 5 different types laying. They lay brown, white, even green eggs. I've done a taste test with store bought eggs and nobody could tell a difference in taste. The only differences I could tell is there's more consistency in size from store bought. The yolk is a little brighter than the store bought, but usually slightly smaller.

Free Range
As applied to chicken eggs, this term is essentially meaningless. While the USDA has defined the meaning of “free-range” for some poultry products, there are no government-regulated standards in “free-range” egg production required to make the claim. Egg producers have jumped at the opportunity to print some new labels and charge a couple extra bucks in return for giving their hens occasional access to a tiny patch of dirt. According to the Department of Agriculture, egg “producers must demonstrate to the Agency that the poultry has been allowed access to the Outside” In other words, there needs to be a door to the chicken cage, and it needs to be open part of the time, but the chickens can still eat substandard food and live in cramped conditions. A “range” can range from being a full-fledged pasture (not likely) to a 10 x 10 patch of manure and dirt (more likely). Chances are, most free range chickens rarely even venture outside. Why would they? Their food is usually inside. A 2010 study from North Carolina State University found that Omega 3 levels were higher at 0.17% in the free range eggs vs. 0.14% in the cage eggs. However, the study concluded that “this amount of difference between the eggs would not have an impact on human nutrition.”

Cage Free
Even more meaningless than “free range,” this term has no legal definition. Technically, cage free hens don’t live in stifling metal cages; instead, they might still live in stifling, overcrowded hen houses! Some cage free hens’ lives aren’t much qualitatively better than those who live in cages and most still aren’t getting any access to the outdoors.

Omega-3 Fortified
As far as these go I think it's the same story as grass fed beef it's so minimal you would be better off buying fish oil if your that concerned with getting more Omega's. Probably a lot more cost effective too. I get grass fed beef for free also and don't care for the taste of it and my wife refuses to cook it because it smells up the house when you cook it.

Natural Eggs
According to the USDA, "natural" eggs don't contain any artificial ingredients or added colors, and are only minimally processed. But, "there are no defined limitations to treatment of animals or the environment in which they reside. Has anyone seen where chickens live? They eat everything and turn it in to a dirt lot. They eat worms, bugs, rodents, snakes, anything in there reach and it's all covered in chicken shit.

Organic Eggs
Under the USDA provisions, organic eggs must contain only organically-produced ingredients and processing aids (excluding water and salt).
"To use this label, eggs must come from hens that are given food free of animal byproducts, synthetic fertilizers, pesticides and other chemical additives. Additionally, hens must only be given antibiotics if an infection is present. However, the term "organic" has nothing to do with the way hens are treated, and a 2010 study found that organic eggs were not healthier than non-organic eggs, despite the higher price tag. It all boils down to personal choice. I wouldn't spend the extra money for the marketing though.

PASTURED.

Get to know your farmer is what I tell people. Seek them out or find them at a farmer's market etc.

I found a farmer locally that has many organic free range chickens. His animals eat bugs and he does supplement corn meal during different times in the year when natural food source is low. I get a dozen eggs for 2 bucks if I bring my own cartons. I get several dozen at a time and we have developed a great relationship over time. The egg yolks are almost red and sooo much better plus I've noticed a difference myself in taste and how I feel + look after a month of eating them. They are always fresh and I don't think you can get better than store purchased eggs. Plus cheaper too!!

Lady I work with raises chickens. I get em for 1.50 a dozen. That's cheaper than store bought. Just gotta bring my own cartons

Free range eggs only.

My father in law raises chickens and he gives us fresh eggs weekly in exchange for the left overs from our juicing machine. We freeze it in ice cube trays and the chickens go nuts for it. We know exactly what our eggs are made of. Deeper color and bigger yolks.

Sent from my iBone 6"

My girl raises chickens (more as pets than for eggs but that's beside the point)
They're in their coop at night but all day theyre free to roam about.

The eggs are awesome, yolks are bigger and darker than store bought, and I think they taste better. Plus I know they come from happy chickens (who are probably more spoiled than some people's dogs lol)

Scrambled!!
I go through a dozen eggs a day. I have to stick with the bulk boxes from Sams Club. 90 eggs. I'm in it for the protein. I get enough omegas through supplements. And I'm on a bit of a budget right now.

Last edited:
absolutely I care !!!

I only eat free ranging eggs from my parents chickens , they wonder around the yard and woods eatin whatever they can find , like nature meant them too.

the only "feed" they are given is maybe 1/2 a cup for 20+ chickens thats rattled in a coffee can to call them to the coup each evening.

I due use the liquid egg whites though simply because I can't see wasting all that precious yolks !!!

the taste between a true yard egg and a cheap egg is amazing the yolk is bigger , thicker and has. MUCH more rich dense flavor! the only thing I like better than fresh yard eggs is when I sneak down to their pond and steal a few fresh goose eggs !!

Your damn right. The first time I tried them I absolutely feel in love with free range. Its taste a hell of lot richer and better. It has so much flavor you could probably do 2-3 egg whites to one whole egg free range and it would taste like your eating 3 whole cage fed eggs.

I normally buy the 5 dozen flat of eggs which are your basic eggs but I'll get higher quality if they are on sale. I wish I could afford free range all the time but really don't notice a difference.

This.

John Meadows chooses free range eggs. What more is there to discuss?

True, but John went out of his way to describe exactly what he meant by that and some have already discussed what true free range means. Many store brands claim "free range", but that doesn't mean the chickens aren't basically kept on a grain diet. John told me when I first started using his diets to seek out eggs from chickens that were able to eat their normal diet, which they forage for bugs, worms, etc. when grazing. Straight feed is not their normal diet. This is the same with grass fed beef....the lipid profiles of the eggs and meat change dramatically when fed their normal diet and when fed a manufactured diet. If you live near a farmer with chickens, that is always your best bet. I can get true free range eggs for far less than what it would cost me to get the equivalent at Whole Foods and they basically end up costing me close to what normal eggs at Stop & Shop cost me! No brainer.

Good thread guys. I think I'm gonna go check out some local farmers and see what they offer. I've had fresh eggs from local farms before and I can definitely taste a difference. In some I noticed the yolk was bigger too, but I'm not sure about the nutritional difference between them. The best way for me to tell is to make the switch for a period of time and see how I feel after. It seems when you rely on one article there's another one to disprove it

I used to buy the organic eggs from Costco. I was grabbing them one time and an old guy stopped me to tell me to get the Oakdell all natural eggs that were about half the price. He said he was buddies with the farmer and they were pretty much organic eggs without the certification. I think they actually taste better than the organic eggs too. So I have stuck with those since

BADASS

I care very much about the quality of my eggs.
I eat many eggs daily, usually raw. I used to get grocery store eggs, and always noticed they didn't smell too great, even before cracking the shell. The taste is a little different too, sort of 'eggy' if that makes any sense.
The yolk was weak and faint colored.

I finally got some free range organic ones from Trader Joe's, they were about twice the cost but the smell was fresher, the taste was much better, and the yolk was more colored and solid.

My wife and I have a small ranch property and always wanted to make a little self sustaining farm..... chickens for eggs, cows for raw milk, and a field of veggies and fruit trees.

We already have some fruit trees planted and filled a coop with 3 hens and a rooster. We are planning on getting a mini cow soon (large cows put out far too much milk daily, and they need to milked frequently). The mini is perfect for a family to live off of.

The eggs my hens lay are the best I have ever had. The yolk has a deep, rich color, and the white is thick and gooey. The shells are firm, and the smell is very fresh. The yolk is so firm that they plop in the bottom of the glass really hard and splash out a little, compared to the junk eggs that pretty much flatten out or the yolk breaks completely.

Here's my coop, one of the hens is lying on her eggs under the ramp to the right....
7434818788_674a355c50.jpg

That is AWESOME! I will be pm'ing you prob bro. I am interested in my own chickens and fruits and veggies as well. great post
-JS

What people think they get with cage free, free range.
download (1).jpg
What they really get.
images (5).jpg

So what is the best bet in your opinion?

I would try to avoid all store bought if possible and buy from a local farm. All other things aside there a lot fresher than from a chain store.

On a side note the size of an egg and the appearance of it's yoke has more to do with the breed of chicken, it's size, diet, and freshness than it does the way it was raised or treated.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131