over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Taurine May Be 'Elixir Of Life' For Worms, Mice, Monkeys

danieltx

Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/08/health/taurine-longevity-wellness/index.html

I couldn't post the full article here due to the character limit - there are two more sections not included here.

Taurine, an amino acid often used by body builders and added to energy or sports drinks, may be an “elixir of life,” according to the author of a new study — at least when it comes to extending the health and lifespan of worms, mice and monkeys.

Will it be helpful — or potentially harmful —in people? No one knows, so save your money, experts say.

Middle-aged female mice fed high levels of taurine lived 12% longer on average than mice who did not receive taurine, while male mice lived about 10% longer, said lead study author Vijay Yadav, assistant professor of genetics and development at Columbia University in New York City, in a news briefing.

“This study suggests that taurine could be an elixir of life within us,” Yadav said in an earlier news release on the study, which published Thursday in the journal Science.

Ready for ‘prime time’?​

Considered a non-essential amino acid, taurine exists in the brain, retina and nearly every muscle and organ tissue in the body. Studies have found it may be anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective in older brains but potentially harmful to the developing brains of adolescents. Taurine deficiencies are linked to heart, kidney and retinal damage.

Absorbed from foods such as shellfish and meat and distributed by the liver, taurine levels decline with age, “but if you top it up back to youthful levels, then you have this effect that the mice live healthier for longer,” coauthor Henning Wackerhage, a professor of exercise biology at the Technical University of Munich in Germany, said in the briefing.

Tests in monkeys found those who took taurine supplements were leaner, had better blood sugar levels and less liver damage, had increased bone density, a younger-looking immune system and gained less weight, according to the study.

“These studies in several species show that taurine abundance declines with age and the reversal of this decline makes the animals live longer and healthier lives,” Yadav said. “At the end of the day, the findings should be relevant to humans.”

But worms, mice and monkeys are not people, and science is years away from proving taurine’s anti-aging value in humans — if it even exists, experts warn.

“This doesn’t seem like a story ready for prime time, and it could be harmful if people started consuming more animal-sourced foods to increase taurine intake,” said leading nutrition researcher Dr. Walter Willett, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School. He was not involved in the study.

“In our cohorts with over 130,000 men and women followed for up to 30 years (with more than 30,000 deaths), greater intake of animal protein was related to higher overall mortality and mortality from most major diseases,” Willett said in an email. “Some additional studies in humans using taurine supplements would be interesting, but we are long way from suggesting their use.”

The only experiment on humans in the study found exercise — often called the key to longevity — improved taurine levels in people. However, exercise also reduces cholesterol; improves blood flow; lowers blood pressure; strengthens muscles, including the heart, boosts energy; improves sleep; and fights chronic disease.

“I really dislike claims of extreme longevity extension in humans because we simply just don’t know,” said Gordon Lithgow, professor and vice president of academic affairs at the Buck Institute in Novato, California, an independent biomedical research institute focused solely on aging.

“I’m not saying it’s not possible, but we need to have proper double-blinded clinical trials in people to see what happens,” said Lithgow, whose lab conducted the research on worms included in the new study.

Unfortunately, many drugs, supplements, herbs and vitamins which appear to be beneficial may fail spectacularly once science has finished its examination, he said.

“Take vitamin E for example. People have been taking vitamin E for decades, and then we find out it certainly doesn’t do any good and may actually be harmful,” Lithgow said. “You have to wait for the clinical trial data — that’s the only real measure in biomedicine.”

Despite these caveats, “it’s hard not to get excited about this study,” Lithgow said. “You’ve got something like 400 million years of separation between worms and people, and yet you see beneficial effects with the same restoration of this natural metabolite (taurine) in both worms and primates.”

A massive undertaking​

The research, over 10 years in the making, involved more than 50 scientists in labs around the world who investigated the impact of taurine on several species — yeast, worms, mice and monkeys.

Taurine-fed worms lived longer and appeared healthier, but taurine “had no effect on yeast,” Yadav said. Taurine-supplemented mice, however, “were leaner, had an increased energy expenditure, increased bone density, improved muscle strength, reduced depressive and anxious behaviors, improved memory, reduced insulin resistance and a younger looking immune system.”

Just how is taurine accomplishing this? That answer isn’t yet clear, Wackerhage said, “but is my subjective opinion that taurine somehow seems to hit the engine room of aging.”

On a metabolic level, Yadav said, taurine seems to improve the health of mitochondria, the body’s cellular powerhouse which creates “90% of the energy you need to sustain life and support organ function,” according to the United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation.

Analysis of tissues in taurine-supplemented mice also showed the amino acid suppresses so-called “zombie” or senescent cells — older, damaged cells that refuse to die and begin excreting inflammatory factors that trigger diseases like Alzheimer’s and hasten aging.

Taurine also increased stem cells present in some tissues, reduced DNA damage and improved a cell’s ability to sense nutrients, the study found.

“Taurine is hitting the aging brake. It is not putting the vehicle in the reverse gear,” Yadav said. “It is slowing down the aging process, and that is why animals are living longer and healthier.”

Trying to get my girl to start taking taurine but she's standoffish when I comes to supplements

Vegetarians or those that eat more of a plant based diet may be in need of taking in more taurine. But am guessing that those that eat high amounts of protein probably are less likely to get benifits from supplementing with it.

From an evolutionary standpoint why does taurine decrease as we age? Me and my wife was just talking about this Wednesday.

I have been taking 5 grams per day of taurine almost religiously without fail since 2017. Started to combat a bad addiction, and never stopped using it once I honestly literally could feel healthier and better. I will never not take it, I make my son and GF take it daily also. Taurine saved my bladder and kidneys, then years later astragalus came and really saved the life of my kidneys in icu.

Okinawans and Sardinians both have some of the densest centurion populations in the WORLD. coincidentally (NOT) they both tested unanimously for higher levels of taurine compared to the rest of the population. Taurine, Omega 3, and EGCG @ people in japan. Id tag our friend in japan to see if he has anything to add, the jacked older gentleman who posts his watch collection, but I cant for the life of me remember his damn screen name! I even have him on social media lol we are friends. some friend i am lol

i even asked @SouthernMuscle the other day and probably @goback2013 what his name was also lmfao . I blame it on the TBI in 2018

At the right dose the perfect solution to my terrible clen cramps

Taurine bought in bulk is extremely cheap I get a kilo for like 20 bucks such a cheap addition to your supplement stack. I know some human studies in the past were a bit inconclusive regarding benefits but I don’t believe any of the studies where looking at longevity. I do feel better using taurine as if I remember correct it reduces excess adrenaline activity and steroids being a cns stimulus probably reduces those negative effects of steroids

Taurine levels decrease over 80% in humans throughout their lives. I would imagine humans would also live longer by replenishing that deficiency via supplementation. Probably hard to eat enough only through the diet.

This study used the human equivalent of 3-6g taurine for anyone wondering.

Trying to get my girl to start taking taurine but she's standoffish when I comes to supplements
Same. Wife thinks even my protein powder is steroidal. And good luck getting it through to her that it isn't.

From an evolutionary standpoint why does taurine decrease as we age? Me and my wife was just talking about this Wednesday.
Most everything decrease i find as one ages as the ability to produce becomes less. Cells seem to get weaker and less healthy every time they replicate. Cholesterol one one of the few things that seems to go up. But that could be that it is just not being used as a building block for other things and just build up in the blood stream. From an evolutionary stand point as soon as an individual can not longer reproduce healthy off spring and take care of them nature want the creature to die off it seems, to make room for the next generation and not waste resources.

Some gurus believe taurine and glycine theoretically should help your recovery post training due to their effect on the nervous system. Challenge to me 11would be how to incorporate these when most are so protein saturated post workout. If you want neurological effects of singular aminos you generally don't want a lot of competition at the same time.

2g in the morning 2 at night year around

Some say it's not necessary and found plenty in protein and protein powders. In fact body fortress a while back contain 50% of taurine and the rest whey protein they got sued for it I used to buy it and actually took my back got a refund.

Back in 2006 when I took superdrol my back would get so tight and it seemed to help I'm not totally sure if it did it seemed to though.

Anyways in cats it's abundant and if they don't have any taurine they'll die. It used to be in some of the old AST creatine supplements and it was supposed to help volumize the creatine work better with it I buy some it's so inexpensive and I use it intro resistance exercise.

Here is a great study that covers the role and importance of Taurine. I take 1-2g pre workout and double that if I’m using clen during a prep.

I’ve read articles how taurine is very important in a dog’s diet - makes sense that it would benefit humans as well as are both mammals…

it is the lack of taurine or poor absorption that is what has led to or is believed to be, at least, what leads to DCM (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) not just the grain-free stuff

Taurine, an amino acid-like compound, offers a plethora of health benefits due to its involvement in various physiological processes. Here are 20 vividly described health benefits of taurine, highlighting their mechanisms of action and pathways of function on organs and cells:

1. Cardiovascular Health: Taurine supports heart health by enhancing cardiac contractility and reducing arrhythmias. It helps regulate calcium levels in cardiac cells, promoting proper electrical signaling and preventing irregular heartbeats.
  2. Blood Pressure Regulation: Taurine aids in maintaining healthy blood pressure levels by promoting vasodilation, relaxing blood vessels, and reducing peripheral resistance. This mechanism allows for better blood flow and less strain on the cardiovascular system.
  3. Antioxidant Defense: Taurine acts as an antioxidant, protecting cells from oxidative stress and damage caused by free radicals. It scavenges harmful molecules, minimizing the risk of chronic diseases and supporting overall cellular health.
  4. Brain Function: Taurine plays a vital role in neurotransmission and neuronal development. It enhances the activity of inhibitory neurotransmitters, such as GABA, promoting relaxation, reducing anxiety, and supporting cognitive function.
  5. Neuroprotection: Taurine protects against neurodegenerative diseases by modulating calcium levels, reducing neuroinflammation, and combating oxidative stress. It also supports the growth of new neurons and enhances synaptic plasticity.
  6. Eye Health: Taurine is concentrated in the retina and plays a crucial role in maintaining vision. It protects retinal cells against damage, supports photoreceptor function, and reduces the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
  7. Liver Function: Taurine aids in detoxification processes within the liver. It enhances the production of bile, which helps eliminate toxins, improves liver cell integrity, and protects against liver damage.
  8. Metabolic Support: Taurine regulates glucose metabolism by enhancing insulin sensitivity and improving glucose uptake into cells. It also aids in lipid metabolism, reducing the accumulation of fats in the liver and improving lipid profiles.
  9. Muscle Performance: Taurine improves exercise performance and muscle function. It enhances calcium handling in muscle cells, leading to better muscle contractions, reduced muscle fatigue, and improved endurance.
  10. Anti-Inflammatory Effects: Taurine possesses anti-inflammatory properties by inhibiting the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and reducing the activation of inflammatory pathways. This helps alleviate symptoms of inflammatory conditions like arthritis and asthma.
  11. Immune System Modulation: Taurine supports immune function by regulating the activity of immune cells, such as T cells and macrophages. It enhances immune responses against pathogens while reducing excessive immune reactions.
  12. Electrolyte Balance: Taurine helps maintain electrolyte balance by regulating sodium and potassium levels in cells. This balance is essential for proper nerve transmission, muscle contraction, and hydration.
  13. Anti-Anxiety and Stress Reduction: Taurine acts as a calming agent by modulating neurotransmitters and reducing excitatory activity in the brain. It helps alleviate anxiety, improve mood, and promote a sense of relaxation.
  14. Antidiabetic Effects: Taurine exhibits antidiabetic effects by improving insulin sensitivity, reducing insulin resistance, and protecting pancreatic beta cells. This can help regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of diabetes complications.
  15. Bone Health: Taurine promotes bone health by enhancing the formation of new bone cells and improving bone mineral density. It also protects against bone loss and may reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
  16. Skin Health: Taurine supports skin health by promoting collagen production, enhancing wound healing, and reducing inflammation. It also protects against UV-induced skin damage and premature aging.
  17. Kidney Protection: Taurine plays a crucial role in maintaining kidney function by reducing oxidative stress, inflammation, and apoptosis in renal cells. It helps protect against kidney diseases and supports the excretion of waste products.
  18. Gastrointestinal Health: Taurine aids in the digestion and absorption of nutrients by promoting bile production and enhancing intestinal function. It also helps protect the gastrointestinal lining from damage and inflammation.
  19. Reproductive Health: Taurine is involved in male reproductive health, supporting sperm motility, count, and quality. It also protects against oxidative damage to reproductive organs and may have beneficial effects on female reproductive health.
  20. Anti-Cancer Potential: Taurine exhibits anti-cancer properties by inhibiting the growth and proliferation of cancer cells. It also enhances the effectiveness of chemotherapy and reduces the toxicity of anti-cancer drugs on healthy cells.
These health benefits of taurine demonstrate its diverse mechanisms of action and the profound impact it has on various organs, cells, and physiological processes throughout the body.

it is the lack of taurine or poor absorption that is what has led to or is believed to be, at least, what leads to DCM (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) not just the grain-free stuff
speaking from experience, felines and canines demonstrate improved results in attention span, focus, and general well being with taurine added i used to dump taurine into my cats food, that i would COOK nearer raw myself, for the cat.

most all cat and dog food that comes in bags is TERRIBLE

I would also give my cats a tbsp of coco oil once per week

speaking from experience, felines and canines demonstrate improved results in attention span, focus, and general well being with taurine added i used to dump taurine into my cats food, that i would COOK nearer raw myself, for the cat.

most all cat and dog food that comes in bags is TERRIBLE

I would also give my cats a tbsp of coco oil once per week

Yeah, I supplement my dog's diet with it, as well as many other things that his diet sucks at. He might be on more supps than I am lol.

he is on taurine, a joint supp, and a fish oil supp. beta carotene, sea kelp (iodine), and a multi

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131