over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

The OG training thread.

Why did you stop using DC training? Doesn’t seem to have to popularity today that it used to or HIT training. Is it due to injuries? Because it’s hard as shit? Just curious to get others take.

Thanks for sharing!
Bro, I would literally get anxiety on leg day. After awhile, the pressure of "beating the logbook" started to take the fun out of training. I was also natural at the time, so it was getting more difficult to recover from those workouts, and I did start getting some nagging injuries. It taught me how to train hard though, highly recommend.

I will add my .02. Been lifting since my dad bought me some dark beige plastic covered concrete weights, with the little red plastic collars ;)

The one thing that had a profound impact on me was the book Brawn (20 rep set stuff). This taught me how to actually train hard and what extremely hard intensity should be.

The other thing that is extremely important is that you should enjoy training. Pick a program, type of training that gives you pleasure. Whether it is DC, volume, Cybergenics, Power factor training ;). fuck Im old.

Exactly - now 4/5 of the bodybuilding world trains low volume and it is considered the only effective training method lol
Even Dorian Yates was not doing very low volume. Look at his blood and guts back day, he did 5 different exercises for back alone and maybe 2 for rear delts. That is not low volume. More like moderate but definitely not low. Some of the guys today are doing only 2 or 3 back exercises which i think is not enough at all.

Even Dorian Yates was not doing very low volume. Look at his blood and guts back day, he did 5 different exercises for back alone and maybe 2 for rear delts. That is not low volume. More like moderate but definitely not low. Some of the guys today are doing only 2 or 3 back exercises which i think is not enough at all.
Dorian trained with moderate volume, not low, true. But what's being promoted lately is very high volume, e.g., 26 sets of 10 - 12 reps for quads (squat, leg press, leg extension) per session. I don't think Dorian's training is comparable.

Exercise # is not particularly important if the same muscles are worked in all of them.

Bro, I would literally get anxiety on leg day. After awhile, the pressure of "beating the logbook" started to take the fun out of training. I was also natural at the time, so it was getting more difficult to recover from those workouts, and I did start getting some nagging injuries. It taught me how to train hard though, highly recommend.
If you framed your "beating the logbook" in terms of months (e.g., beating prior number every 4 - 6 weeks), would that have reduced your anxiety? That's what I do; not every session, that's bound to fail very quickly.

Progressive overload should not be interpreted as session-over-session, but continuous and steady gains.

For example, early on, every 4 weeks you might increase the weight by 5 or even 8% depending on exercise in the beginning, and eventually only something like 1 - 3%. This adds up. Some guys need 6 - 8 weeks; 4 weeks is actually aggressive.

Not sure you actually got what I meant.
Why in hell would one accurately warm up for the flat bench press and then do that again for the incline bench press as his 2nd exercise. This is nonsense and I still see it everywhere.
Wait, is this being promoted on social media nowadays or something?? Never heard of this, but it seems like common sense would kick in and tell you it’s completely unnecessary. Then again some folks lack common sense!

Cage

If you framed your "beating the logbook" in terms of months (e.g., beating prior number every 4 - 6 weeks), would that have reduced your anxiety? That's what I do; not every session, that's bound to fail very quickly.

Progressive overload should not be interpreted as session-over-session, but continuous and steady gains.

For example, early on, every 4 weeks you might increase the weight by 5 or even 8% depending on exercise in the beginning, and eventually only something like 1 - 3%. This adds up. Some guys need 6 - 8 weeks; 4 weeks is actually aggressive.

The Hepburn training always intrigued me. Super slow progressions to the point of most guys not being patient enough… like SLdL..

5x2 at 315.
Then 4x2, 1x3 at 315. Then 3x2+ 2x3 at 315….a moth and a half later you get to 5x3, then get to add weight.

I will add my .02. Been lifting since my dad bought me some dark beige plastic covered concrete weights, with the little red plastic collars ;)

The one thing that had a profound impact on me was the book Brawn (20 rep set stuff). This taught me how to actually train hard and what extremely hard intensity should be.

The other thing that is extremely important is that you should enjoy training. Pick a program, type of training that gives you pleasure. Whether it is DC, volume, Cybergenics, Power factor training ;). fuck Im old.
LOL @ cybergenics, I did that program while I was in the army and it was hard as hell, especially for how active I was then and running early mornings then doing that crazy cybergenics shit in the evening, no wonder I stayed so ripped all the time 😅

Also the fact, or one reason I switched, if that key machine your looking to beat the logbook on that day is taken you gotta wait around. I could get in 5 intense suoersets of bis and Tris by the time the dip machine was open and I did all my warmup sets to one heavy rest pause set.

This video brings up some good points of you travel or go to different guys hard to even quantify progress...also many people realize after they added 50 lbs to a movement they just realize their form has went to shit over time and they are no longer working the target muscle.

He's half joking but mentions how he wants to walk around and slap people's log books out of their hand they spend more time writing down numbers than actually training the muscle... Milos or Branch Warren dis Carry a book around or put weigh numbers in an app on their phone they would laugh at that.

Overall I think a combo is best.. something like Milos...heavy duty exercise then pump with blood or even y3t, 3 weeks progressive overlord, 3 weeks of a mix, then 3 weeks of high rep work. His layout is interesting because he has more total sets in the low rep weeks than the high because he believes higher rep sets are actually more into. I've heard meadows I believe say this too, 25 reps sets are way more taxing than 6-10 if both done to failure.

Reactions: D2
I began my journey into bodybuilding-specific training around the age of 14, utilizing my basement and barn in the backdrop of an 18th-century Massachusetts farmhouse where I grew up.

The turning point came at 15 when I adopted a serious system. I joined the downtown gym, owned by our high school coach, and strictly followed Arnold's training regimen, working out six days a week. This commitment propelled me from 140 to approximately 175 pounds within a couple of years.

Blessed with a well-stocked public library featuring the great books from the 80s, I devoured each one repeatedly, deepening my knowledge.

At 17, I ventured into my first official gym, conveniently located on my way to university. Encouraged by the owners, I took up competitive bodybuilding in 1989. My training style at that time was rooted in the 80s ethos, characterized by moderate volume and pyramid sets. After participating in two competitions in 1989, I took a brief hiatus.

I adhered faithfully to the 80s-style training until 1997 when I stumbled upon Duchaine's BodyOpus, reigniting my interest in competitive bodybuilding.

Despite a prolonged break from competing, around 2010, I embraced DC training, finding resonance in its philosophy. While I admired Mentzer's approach in my youth, I found it too sparse. DC training struck the right balance for me.

In 2018, I made a successful comeback using DC, albeit with a personal twist—what I term modified DC—incorporating a slightly higher volume and fewer total exercises. Dante says keep it simple, and I really do.

Central to my success is my commitment to training intensely, with low to moderate volume, pushing myself to or beyond failure, all while maintaining control. Echoing Dorian Yates, I believe in choosing weights I could stop in motion and hold for a moment ot two, avoiding excessive loads that require momentum. More volume and pumping is required for legs however and I still believe deep squats are king.

My focus remains steadfast on the target muscle during workouts. I advise against fixating on the movement; instead, visualize the targeted muscle contracting and extending - see the limbs and bones articulate. IMHO, this approach fosters a more effective hypertrophy response. It made a big difference when I decided to bring up my back for my return to competition in 2018.

I steer clear of exercise rotations without purpose and resist elaborate, planned routines. While these may appeal to some, and there are many who disagree selling programs and routines, my philosophy centers on simplicity and precision (and makes it difficult to monetize coaching lol).

Consistency is key for me—I train intensely and in control for as many months as possible. When fatigue or a lack of enthusiasm creeps in, I instinctively back off for a brief respite, typically around two weeks. I eschew planned breaks or "deloads."

At 54, this approach continues to yield results, proving that a combination of hard, focused training, consistent progress, and proper but simple nutrition can facilitate sustained growth for many, many years.

Wait, is this being promoted on social media nowadays or something?? Never heard of this, but it seems like common sense would kick in and tell you it’s completely unnecessary. Then again some folks lack common sense!

Cage
Nope, unfortunately not a social media thing. I've seen this garbage my entire life and still see it!

It should also take into account how you are feeling that day, did you sleep well, does the bar feel too heavy or is it a good day to lift a couple more pounds? Are you bulking up on food or are you on a mini cut? Also, as you said, it's very dependent on the exercise you're performing.

It should also take into account how you are feeling that day, did you sleep well, does the bar feel too heavy or is it a good day to lift a couple more pounds? Are you bulking up on food or are you on a mini cut? Also, as you said, it's very dependent on the exercise you're performing.
General guidelines are always individualized to factors that include these, yes. Of course, a client whose sleep is poor, life stressors are so great, as to result in unpredictable strength losses, that is a problem that must be remedied.

Certainly, the plan's orientation towards bulking, cutting, determines to a large extent the aggressiveness of loading, but should be in a predictable (but still individualized) trend, and still a general increase over the course of months.

Not sure you actually got what I meant.
Why in hell would one accurately warm up for the flat bench press and then do that again for the incline bench press as his 2nd exercise. This is nonsense and I still see it everywhere.
Yes, maybe just half the weight as your going to use for your work set for maybe 4 to 6 reps to feel the movement or to get the bench, machine etc setup and then get after it.

Yes, maybe just half the weight as your going to use for your work set for maybe 4 to 6 reps to feel the movement or to get the bench, machine etc setup and then get after it.
If I'm doing a PPL routine, which is most of the time I often don't do more than one warm up even when going to the next bodypart.
My shoulders are already warm from chest, tris from chest and shoulders.......etc. The only time I'll add a warmup set for triceps is if it's a single joint exercise like extensions or pressdowns. More for piece of mind than anything else.

I only warm up on the first multi-joint exercise, there is no point in warming up muscles that have already been worked directly or indirectly. If you bench or row, your triceps and biceps are already active and well prepared.

Also the fact, or one reason I switched, if that key machine your looking to beat the logbook on that day is taken you gotta wait around. I could get in 5 intense suoersets of bis and Tris by the time the dip machine was open and I did all my warmup sets to one heavy rest pause set.

This video brings up some good points of you travel or go to different guys hard to even quantify progress...also many people realize after they added 50 lbs to a movement they just realize their form has went to shit over time and they are no longer working the target muscle.

He's half joking but mentions how he wants to walk around and slap people's log books out of their hand they spend more time writing down numbers than actually training the muscle... Milos or Branch Warren dis Carry a book around or put weigh numbers in an app on their phone they would laugh at that.

Overall I think a combo is best.. something like Milos...heavy duty exercise then pump with blood or even y3t, 3 weeks progressive overlord, 3 weeks of a mix, then 3 weeks of high rep work. His layout is interesting because he has more total sets in the low rep weeks than the high because he believes higher rep sets are actually more into. I've heard meadows I believe say this too, 25 reps sets are way more taxing than 6-10 if both done to failure.
Binge watched his YT. Very educational. He is doing a good job like his mentor John Meadows.

I wonder if any of the top guys of today weight train twice a day?

I remember back in the day it was common to do back in the morning and then biceps, etc in the evening but since Dorian it seems like everyone gets their weight training knocked out all at once except for that first thing in the morning cardio session, etc.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131