over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts on working out at 5am

I'm probably smaller than 99% of people here but this is my philosophy:

What's the point of working out after you're already tired from working 8 hours when you can just go to the gym first thing and be half asleep through work?

9GqVGhil.jpg

Never going to happen. I'm a night owl and have tried many times to re-train myself to be a morning person.

I never felt as good in early AM sessions as I did in late afternoon or evening sessions after work. I would fatigue sooner in the AM too and I felt weaker. One benefit of early AM training is if you did it fasted and were looking for maximal fat loss. This would be ideal. But I always felt like crap too.

I don't mean to say there is a "best" time as that's purely preference. You can build the same physique with AM or PM. But the science does support the idea that your body is more "primed" for weight training toward the afternoon/evening.

1. In the AM, your core temp is lower. As you know, a lower body temp means stiffer body/muscles, etc. Your hydration is also sub-optimal. To me, these two things can pose a higher risk of injury.
2. Body temp typically increases as the day progresses (as does hydration). Muscle strength and endurance are considered to peak in the late afternoon, when body temperature is highest.
3.The afternoon is also (typically) when reaction time is quickest and heart rate and blood pressure are lowest - all of this can combine to increase performance marginally. Racinais S. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, 2011, Feb.;20 Suppl 3():1600-0838.
4. Cortisol is at its peak in the morning. Cortisol + fasted state = a more catabolic environment.
5. [Applies to McNatties only] Male body produces more testosterone during late afternoon resistance training than it does during morning workouts. Hayes LD, Bickerstaff GF, Baker JS. Chronobiology International, 2010, Oct.;27(4):1525-6073.
6. Gays typically prefer Early AM workouts.

Last edited:
A Hot shower, a pot of coffee and 2 ius pretty much gets you ready.
I would also think your test is at its highest due to morning wood and you are completely rested with all muscle stores full from the previous days meals.
Then even more Priming with your Bcaa stack and preworkout.
Now you are 100% anabolic and ready for the Iron.
Still on somewhat of an empty stomach which turns on your fat motorization while your intra is used to start the reefed.
Then you still have the entire day to consume calories for recovery and growth.
Plus now your metabolism is increased keeping you anabolic all day!

Honestly I prefer 9:00 now days...Takes me A little longer to get motivated and the fags are gone with the leotards arriving.

Last edited:
This is one of those that's kinda tough. A lot depends on your job and the previous nights sleep. If you have a physically taxing job, AND get a good nights sleep before, then I think morning training is better. I've never tried training legs in the am before though, everything else, maybe not back either actually, can work for sure. It certainly takes the pressure off when you're done working for the day, you can relax, don't have to amp yourself up for a workout. We've all had those days driving home from work and ready to fall asleep. Contemplating whether we should train or not that evening. Are we just being pussies or do we really need the night off? Gotta listen to your body. 5 am is pretty early, I would recommend 5-10 minutes of light cardio before to help wake up.

Last edited:
I workout around 6AM. I have come to like it. My strength/adrenaline/alertness isn't the same as it would be at 5-6PM, but I definitely get the job done. I wish I could work out in the afternoon, but its just not in the cards. Am I losing out on gains because of this? Maybe. But I'm satisfied with my progress. Its all relative.

Supposedly, the body's synovial fluid is at it's peak accumulation in the joints an hour after waking and also 11 hours after waking from an extended sleep like overnight.

I try to train during those times, especially if training heavy, since I do no warm-up sets.

What was a matter of practicality is now a matter of preference.

I love early morning training. The sunrise and endorphin combine for the perfect high. Well, and this:

15 mg test prop
10 mg Dbol
5g AAkG
4g Beta alanine
5g creatine
200mg caffeine

Whats been your experience on this and do you get the results you want when building muscle ?
I'd rather work out at night, my body is not awake in the morning

well im not going lie, its so much easier going balls to the wall in the evenings when all that hot ass is in every direction. to me women increase my motivation and drive when i'm working out.

well im not going lie, its so much easier going balls to the wall in the evenings when all that hot ass is in every direction. to me women increase my motivation and drive when i'm working out.

HAHA....really????

jesus.....that's my kryptonite......i cant do shit when all that
is running around...

ehhh

:cool:

lol. I was thinking about this the other week while I was working out in the am. Started a new job about 2 weeks; 11 hour days. Leave the house at 9am, home at 8pm. I tried the 630am workout like I did back in university before class would start; had no energy levels, no chicks in the gym for motivation, no brohams to piss me off. I lasted 1 morning of training, would rather train after work. I can eat whenever I want, have a fridge in the work truck so it's quite nice. I eat when I'm driving home from work, get home drink a bcaa, head to the gym around 8:30, see a hottie/cardio bunny, and i'm ready to lift weights lol.

Ive been doing 5AM workouts for years. Also experimented with lifting fasted, after 1 meal, just a shake, etc. It allll works.
Right now i just sip my intra the whole time.

I have posted this before (maybe even in this thread) but to the same question.

I was always early riser in my adult life. Up at at least 5 Coffee or breakfast or meeting at 6.

Terrific trainer who was an Olympic Powerlifter that I knew for years moved to my neighborhood and set up his training bidness. Cause he had clients at 6 or 6:30 he wanted to train at 5. Had two other guys on and off. I aint not and on and off guy. I am there or not there, no in between.

I never trained with this guy but we trained along side each other for about 8 years. He invited me into this private group. I told him I tried it before because I would love to have it work and develop another sport for after work.

I could not lift poop. No motivation, no reserves of strength. This was b4 my self imposed limits due to heart issues. I know that I should have done six weeks and then decided but I just thought I knew this was not for me.

I am typically at the gym 3x per week at 5:30am when it
opens. The line for bench presses starts at that time. I
don’t see how they can do that ‘cold’. I just shudder and
shake my head.

I have found that I need ~ 30 minutes of cardio (burning
10 cal per min.) as a warm up. I can no longer hit the
weights straight away. Too old for that now. I need to get
a good sweat going and cardio (bike or rowing) does that
for me.

Having worked out at all hours, day and night, hitting it
early, once I got used to it, is best for me. I worked out
after work for many years and I always felt that work