advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who here gently puts down anything above 120lb dumbbells???

Dropping DB's, regardless of how heavy is a sign of being disrespectful
to the gym and the owner(s).

Plus it is absolutely unnecessary. It is a selfish behavior that some think makes them look "bad ass".

A pair of 150's cost the owner about $300.
Having them wielded isn't cheap either.

In the 22 years I owned and operated my gym, I only had to throw out
one member. He paid less for his membership than it cost me to have several sets repaired.

A gym membership doesn't give anyone the right to damage the equipment.

Some people just don't get it.

-MT

agreed but even if you look into GP dumbells then run up to 1k or more. NO one should be throwing shit around.

Luckily the floor is PADDED in my gym. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to break anything, or hurt anyone from dropping the weights. I don't throw them.

I use DB's because I don't have/want to use a spotter. And I go to failure each and every set. I don't think it's disrespectful to drop the weights. I do what I need to do, and luckily no one has ever told me not to do it. If they did, I'd probably just find another gym.

I have found out if I strength increases then those are the times I have problems with setting the weights down properly (this basically happens on cycles where your strength can shoot the fuck up) but other than that I don't have problem.

I have a torn labrum so sometimes when my shoulder is in bad place I just have to drop them quickly (sometimes thing do sit right) but if everything is smooth just get them back to knees and get up.

I just use really light weights - so much easier than those heavy ones

Yea, I got asked to not drop the weights. While I understand that it can bend or break weights.... How exactly does one gently put down the 135s? Bc thats what I was doing. Flat dumbbell presses with the 135s, 10 reps, on my 3rd set and a personal trainer came to me asking I don't drop them and that I put them down slower. I wasn't throwing them or even dropping them from fully extended... I brought them back down to my chest and kinda let them slide over to the sides. Or maybe I'm just bitching I don't know. But anything above 120s after a full set is hard to "set them down slowly"...

If you aren't strong enough to set it down don't pick it up. Really is that simple.

Even if the floor is padded or carpet, it is still very hard on the dumbbell if dropped or thrown down. I have seen steel and rubber ones break from this. Good, high dollar brands too. Usually just 60-70lbs and up though.

If I can use them for reps I can put them down correctly including up the 150lbers.

As a gym owner I don't mind a bit of a drop.
But if you drop them too hard they will break (I don't have rubber coated DB's) so I will get pissed if they're simply dropped to the floor with no control.

I hold them the whole time but put then down kinda fast without dropping them. I do that to save my back from getting injured.

Inclines or military's, sure I put on knees and stand back up.... Decline(which I usually do) there is no way I'm slingshoting myself up to my feet.... I don't launch them tho, just a controlled put down... I could see someone hurting themselves or others in a busy gym at rush hour trying to fling himself up with 125s+ with 48 people walking back and forth down the db rack....

if people don't want to follow the guide lines of the staff/owners/management then they can take there business to another club. if i decide on my own rules to follow then i need to let other members set up their own rules to follow and keep my mouth shut when i don't like them.

120s..

I can't even get 120s up let alone put them down..Think the most Ive ever done are 115s. LOL.

Set those deadlift down quite to Planet fitness says no that business

not exactly sure what you are saying there, friend.
However, I dont believe I said 'quiet'... I think I said 'easy and safely'.
I honestly dont know anyone who does deadlifts with dumbells ... most guys I know use the barbells. even then, you should still set them down in a controlled manner.

epoxy, brother you definately need your own home gym. You have no right to expect a gym owner to deal with your disrespect of their equipment. Its there for you to use, not abuse. if you cant set it down easy, dont pick it up or get your own to destroy. you will change your mind real quick when you have to start replacing your own equipment and you find out how expensive it really is.

My thing was there was dropping the weights so that you didnt get injured and there was dropping them out of innability to return them or outright being an ass.

For me I could get the weights back but if I was going to set them on the floor from the bench I wasn't going to do a negative dead type movement slowly to the floor so about 6 inches or so I let them go, its not really the same as dropping them from shoulder high on an incline a couple feet off the ground.
What I did never breaks the equiptment, that I dont want, especially as some gyms take forever to fix things, breaking it only took it away from me.
But there was also the point I wasnt going to pull a muscle to keep it library quiet for the people who didnt get the physics of a big bell.

Inclines or military's, sure I put on knees and stand back up.... Decline(which I usually do) there is no way I'm slingshoting myself up to my feet.... I don't launch them tho, just a controlled put down... I could see someone hurting themselves or others in a busy gym at rush hour trying to fling himself up with 125s+ with 48 people walking back and forth down the db rack....

This is right on the money. With incline and Shouler press if you drop them you are just a dick. With flat it can be difficult to not drop them on occasion, so just try not to fling them. On decline you need to drop them, but again, dont fling them like an ass.

This conversation could go on forever. The ass bags that throw weights around know who they are, and no you are not cool and you are probably not big either. However i dont have a problem with someone dropping the dumbells in a controlled manner after a heavy set of decline. Its a case by case basis, just dont be that guy !!!

My thing was there was dropping the weights so that you didnt get injured and there was dropping them out of innability to return them or outright being an ass.

For me I could get the weights back but if I was going to set them on the floor from the bench I wasn't going to do a negative dead type movement slowly to the floor so about 6 inches or so I let them go, its not really the same as dropping them from shoulder high on an incline a couple feet off the ground.
What I did never breaks the equiptment, that I dont want, especially as some gyms take forever to fix things, breaking it only took it away from me.
But there was also the point I wasnt going to pull a muscle to keep it library quiet for the people who didnt get the physics of a big bell.

This also is right on the money. Just use common sense....

Even I've said if it comes to an injury, Im dropping it. But guys who drop it because they think heavy stuff should be dropped are asses. dont bother picking it up in that case.
nobody expects anyone to take an injury vs letting go of the weight. but if you cant set it down easy most of the time, dont bother picking it up...its too damn heavy for you. pick something lighter and work your way up. just because you can lift it once doesnt mean its the right weight for you.
That's your ego writing checks your ass cant cash.

Yes once I'm done doing lateral raises with the 135's I sit them down gently.

If you aren't strong enough to set it down don't pick it up. Really is that simple.

This is ignorance. Go reread what I have stated before quoting me and commenting again.

Last edited:
Just a little humor...

A little punk once dropped something like 50lbs DBs, or more like launched them... one bounced and rolled and hit my leg while in the middle of doing DB presses... I was pre contest, on minimal carbs and had fuse shorter than a hamster dick... When I completed my set and set my DBs down, I picked up his 50lbs DB and shot-put it at him. He dodged it and it barely missed his legs... he then proceeded to walk out of the gym and never came back.

Was I a dick? Yeah... but the problem (he caused problems for many guys and gals with his lack of courtesy) went away...

^^ Thats funny!!

I just want to state again that I was not launching the weights or even "dropping" them as we all come to think about. It just amazed me that bc they made noise, someone said something to me. That was basically my point.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws