advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Who here gently puts down anything above 120lb dumbbells???

Sounds to me like there is a wide opinion about what "dropping" DB's is.

Here's what I do: I pickup the 100's off the rack. Walk over to the incline bench and sit the DB's in front of the bench. I sit down, pick up the DB's and put them on my knees. I lean back, kick the DB's up with my knees and proceed to do 8-12 reps. After my set, I will bring the DB's to my chest and then do somewhat of a fly movement and while holding onto the DB's will lower the weight as far as I can to the ground and then let go. It's usually not more than a couple inches and really doesn't make that loud of a noise.

Is that considered "dropping"? If so, then yes I'm a pathetic DB dropper. Have I ever received a complaint? No.

I think when a lot of folks talk about dropping DB's they are talking about the guys that yell, make a scene about it and just want attention.

I use power hooks, if I drop them there goes the power hooks. If I plan on going past failure I use a spot. Although I did drop the 100s on my legs doing Arnold Presses the other day, at least I have a valid excuse for not hitting legs this week, that shit hurt. Bent dumbbells piss me off. If you can press the 150s for reps with form and you are not injured you can set them down gently. People tend to get accustomed to a certain way of doing with a resultant certain way of thinking. That resultant thinking is a denial based excuse, an excuse nonetheless. To sum up, don't bend the fucking dumbbells.

I read this thread before I went to the gym yesterday and it reminded me I haven't done db presses for a long time. Time to switch it up! I used the 125's on inclines and put em down gently! More importantly I'm sore as hell today in my upper pecs.

I was always taught "if you can't put them down right, don't pick them up." Most guys in my gym drop them and toss them like idiots. It's why we can't have nice things. As long as it's a "controlled" drop, I don't care. But if it makes its way over to my area or bumps me I'm taking it away from you.

I've gone well above 120s and always controlled them, but I feel like a douche when they drop. That's just me though.

Now If you're a woman, throw them all you want. Rules need not apply.

not exactly sure what you are saying there, friend.
However, I dont believe I said 'quiet'... I think I said 'easy and safely'.
I honestly dont know anyone who does deadlifts with dumbells ... most guys I know use the barbells. even then, you should still set them down in a controlled manner.

epoxy, brother you definately need your own home gym. You have no right to expect a gym owner to deal with your disrespect of their equipment. Its there for you to use, not abuse. if you cant set it down easy, dont pick it up or get your own to destroy. you will change your mind real quick when you have to start replacing your own equipment and you find out how expensive it really is.

I was talking about bb deads since that would damage a floor worse than 150lb dbs. But was mostly a joke since i dont see why anyone needs to set a dl down quietly even getting dbs within 6inch and a controlled drop will do nothing to the floor. a 1/2 cow mat keeps my concrete floor find from deads and i will not risk low back injury trying to drop the decibels a bit.

Read like 1.5 of this bullshit and the elitism on here is astounding.

The gym i go to has 200 lb dumbbell's and the only one to use them was when Branch Warren use them after a seminar .
He threw that shit till i thought they where going to be damaged. Even though they where rubber coated and shit.
What is funny the owner just threatened to throw out some local high school guys when they dropped the 70's,a few days ago.Branch grabbed the 200's and done some flat work and he threw them and one almost flipped on one of the owners!!
Branch said ops man ,my bad! And the same who told the guys they would be gone if they dropped the weight ,told Branch,,,,,,,,,, Oh Branch no problem,bruthaaaaaaa:D

Them same boys looked at each other and just shook their heads!:banghead:

Myself i never throw them and i have dropped them more than once but never planned to do it.
Yes being my old gym i have seen it done but if it was intentional i would say but be careful.
I agree 100% about being careful and to respect the equipment we use everyday......

Last edited:
I drop them some, but not ridiculously or unnecessarily. Luckily I don't have a vagina, so it doesn't bother me.

I use to train at lifters club in oak ridge tn and he had the dumbbell section built up on like an elongated deadlift platform and would bitch if you didn't drop weights. Tell you to just drop it and not risk getting hurt trying to man handle big weights down.

I think..

There is a difference between dropping them "politely" to avoid injury and just tossing them with total disregard because you think you can do what you please because you're lifting heavy weights. I have a bad shoulder and don't lift heavy weights but when I press the 100s on incline I kind of bring them down slowly and then drop them next to me so they do bounce but I make sure there is none around and Im honestly doing it because my shoulder hurts to much if i bring it to my lap again.

The highest dumbbells at my gym are 125's. When I finish doing Incline Press, I just stand up with them and calmly put them down on the rack. Not sure if there were 140-150's or whatever if it would be the same.

I never drop dumbbells though. I don't see the point....
To each their own

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner