over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Results from 1 month of intermittent fasting

To the OP, you appear to have made great progress congrats!

I was hoping the thread may have contained before and after accurate body fat testing comparisons though. Im curious to see exactly what percentage may have been lost from LBM both short & long term.

Yeah, that would have been ideal. Unfortunately the only body fat tool I have access to is a bioimpedance scale which I would not call accurate by any means. However based on my strength and the measurements I tracked I would say LBM loss was minimal, if anything.

IF kicks ass.

When I buckle down and do it... I get lean quick.

While still enjoying a loose diet.

There are several different iterations of IF. The one you're doing sounds most like Martin's lean gains version. I followed something more similar to the Aesthetic Muscle blog I posted a link to. I haven't calculated the calories, but what I'm doing seems to be working. Fat loss and increased strength. The research I know about also shows that in a hypocaloric state, the recycling of amino acid pools becomes more efficient so you don't end up in a catabolic state like most think. On an estimate I'd say half a whole rotisserie chicken is about 600 cals, cheese is about 110 cals per oz, eggs are about 70 cals each, grapefruit is about 100 cals and the greens are almost nothing. Probably total of 1300-1500 cals in the "dinner".

It sounds like your way is working for you though, so more power to ya'.

Fair play to ya - i could never live on 1 meal a day though :eek:

Good work man!

While I don't follow anything near as intensely calorically speaking, I do now tend to fast most of the day. I have a hard time eating in the older style of 6 small meals after I got used to being empty stomached and then eating large. It usually ends up being I don't eat until 2 in the afternoon and it's usually two or three meals at that point until 7 or 8.

I am not sure how well this diet would do without the chemical assistance I use, but right now it works amazingly and I'm not breaking a sweat. What I mean by that: I forgot what it felt like to be deprived during a diet. I have gotten so used to fasting that I don't even think about it sometimes, whereas when I started it was all I could think about. When I do eat, as long as I start with tons of protein first, then greens and seeds, then at the end I can have some starchy or sweet, I tend to eat really well. I was afraid when I did give myself the chance to eat, that I would eat like a pig and truth be told if I followed that timing and gave myself no other restrictions, I tended to eat a lot of proteins and veggies without a ton of starches or sweets.

Last edited:
IF kicks ass.

When I buckle down and do it... I get lean quick.

While still enjoying a loose diet.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased with how quickly I am leaning out.

Great results, keep going bro!

Thanks man!

Fair play to ya - i could never live on 1 meal a day though :eek:

That's what I thought too, and honestly it's not the easiest thing, but I think a lot of it is mental. I made up my mind I was going to do it, so I stuck to it. :)

Good work man!

While I don't follow anything near as intensely calorically speaking, I do now tend to fast most of the day. I have a hard time eating in the older style of 6 small meals after I got used to being empty stomached and then eating large. It usually ends up being I don't eat until 2 in the afternoon and it's usually two or three meals at that point until 7 or 8.

I am not sure how well this diet would do without the chemical assistance I use, but right now it works amazingly and I'm not breaking a sweat. What I mean by that: I forgot what it felt like to be deprived during a diet. I have gotten so used to fasting that I don't even think about it sometimes, whereas when I started it was all I could think about. When I do eat, as long as I start with tons of protein first, then greens and seeds, then at the end I can have some starchy or sweet, I tend to eat really well. I was afraid when I did give myself the chance to eat, that I would eat like a pig and truth be told if I followed that timing and gave myself no other restrictions, I tended to eat a lot of proteins and veggies without a ton of starches or sweets.

Cool man! I've found someting similar. During the first week I was pretty hungry all the time, but it got better. It's really not so hard during the week when I'm busy at work, it's the weekends when I'm just hanging aroung the house that it's hard not to eat. But yeah, I imagine if I were to do this with some chemical assistance the results would be even more profound.

All the diet thing aside, your progress is great. Congrats dude, must feel nice. Time to grow! Impressive.

All the diet thing aside, your progress is great. Congrats dude, must feel nice. Time to grow! Impressive.

Thanks bro, that's the plan. Hoping to get some of the 'rebound' effect after dieting. ;)

Thanks bro, that's the plan. Hoping to get some of the 'rebound' effect after dieting. ;)

Yeah I'm doing the same thing right now...been on low cals for awhile trying to get lean, then BOOM. Happy growing.

Also I find your screen name hilarious, especially considering you're not taking anything haha

Yeah I'm doing the same thing right now...been on low cals for awhile trying to get lean, then BOOM. Happy growing.

Also I find your screen name hilarious, especially considering you're not taking anything haha

lol, glad my humor is appreciated by someone :)

8. Myth: Fasting increases cortisol.

Truth

Cortisol is a steroid hormone that maintains blood pressure, regulates the immune system and helps break down proteins, glucose and lipids. It's a hormone that's gotten quite a bad rep in the fitness and health community but we have it for a reason. The morning peak in cortisol makes us get out of bed and get going. A blunted morning cortisol peak is associated with lethargy and depression. Cortisol is elevated during exercise, which helps mobilize fats, increase performance and experience euphoria after and during workouts. Trying to suppress acute elevations of cortisol during exercise, or the normal diurnal rhythm, is foolish. Chronically elevated levels of cortisol, resulting from psychological and/or physiological stress, is another thing and unquestionably bad for your health; it increases protein breakdown, appetite and may lead to depression.

Short-term fasting has no effect on average cortisol levels and this is an area that has been extensively studied in the context of Ramadan fasting. Cortisol typically follows a diurnal variation, which means that its levels peak in the morning at around 8 a.m. and decline in the evenings. What changes during Ramadan is simply the cortisol rhythm, average levels across 24 hours remain unchanged.

In one Ramadan study on rugby players, subjects lost fat and retained muscle very well. And they did despite training in a dehydrated state, without pre-workout or post-workout protein intake, and with a lower protein intake overall nonetheless. Quoting directly from the paper:

"Body mass decreased significantly and progressively over the 4-week period; fat was lost, but lean tissue was conserved..."

"...Plasma urea concentrations actually decreased during Ramadan, supporting the view that there was no increase of endogenous protein metabolism to compensate for the decreased protein intake."

In one study on intermittent fasting, the fasting group even saw "significant decrease in concentrations of cortisol." However, this study should be taken with a grain of salt as it had some flaws in study design.

In conclusion, the belief that fasting increases cortisol, which then might cause all kinds of mischief such as muscle loss, has no scientific basis whatsoever.

Origin

Prolonged fasting or severe calorie restriction causes elevated baseline levels of cortisol. This occurs in conjunction with depletion of liver glycogen, as cortisol speeds up DNG, which is necessary to maintain blood sugar in absence of dietary carbs, protein, or stored glycogen. Again, it seems someone looked at what happens during starvation and took that to mean that short-term fasting is bad.

Last edited:
Interesting post Bionic. I'm going to do some more reading about this. Thanks for the info.

I wonder how IF would work with GH. Thinking about doing it.

I would imagine it would just work that much better. Give it a try and let us know how it goes!

how was your recovery time? did u stay sore for longer than u usualy do after a leg workout. How many days did u stay sore for? and how did it compare to pre IF

how was your recovery time? did u stay sore for longer than u usualy do after a leg workout. How many days did u stay sore for? and how did it compare to pre IF

Well I adjusted my split to compensate for that. So I was on a 9 day split, Chest, Legs, Off, Arms, Shoulders, Off, Off, Back, Calves, Off, Repeat. On the days I had time I would do some cardio after training but I go during lunch break so 1 hour is the limit. Some days there was time, some days not. Trained just as hard as I always do. Soreness wasn't drastically different. Maybe a little more DOMS, but nothing substantial. Recovery didn't seem to take too much longer either, but I wanted to arrange my split to ensure I was fully recovered regardless.

One thing I did notice was when training failure seemed to come on suddenly and without warning. I'd be doing reps, feeling fine, and out of nowhere it was like I just gave out. I have never experienced this before so I assume it would be attributed to the diet. It didn't happen on every set, but it did happen and hasn't before.

so, you basically starve yourself all day except for a huge meal at night?

this is very similar to IA's warrior diet no?

and those are 17" arms? are you greater than 6 ft?

good results

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch