advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Calf Muscle Grew WHILE IT WAS IN CAST!!!

omoplata

Registered
Witnessed something very amazing today and think you guys will find it interesting.

A friend broke his foot a while back and it was put in a cast from the knee down. This guy is real athletic, and a hardcore athlete but not an out-and-out bodybuilder (but he works out pretty hard).
While his foot was in the cast, he was given an electrical muscle stimulator. I am probably not using the right scientific name for the device, but you get the idea. This is the equipment whose pads you stick to the skin. The device then sends electrical pulses and contracts the muscles; the kind of thing you used to see in infomercials where guys sit on their ass watching TV and their muscles contract automatically. This device was a medical equipment though and a high quality piece that was given to him by the doctor.

He is told to use it like, what, 15-20 minutes a day or so. Now, being the crazy m..f..er he is, he uses the machine for like 12 hours a day. He puts in on while sleeping and leaves it on all night. The device shuts on and off and goes through cycles of like 30 minutes off and 20 minutes on, or something like that, if you leave it in the "on" position.

The cast was removed a week ago and my friend says the doc's jaw dropped. The calf on the broken side was bigger than the calf on the other side. I saw it today and also confirmed that, yes, it is bigger than the one on the other side. Not a whole lot bigger, but thicker overall. Now considering he actually trained the good side, this is amazing IMO.

This got me thinking... Could this device be used for bodybuilding purposes? I am just coming out of an injury and was thinking if I can use such a device on my bad arm, whose triceps and chest are weaker and smaller.

What do you guys think?

if that is tru I F***ing hate you

Interesting. 12 hours a day. Like to see pics though. Say now and in a couple weeks to compare.

This has been studied extensively (mainly by the Russians). Sure it works, but it as one problem, because the stim only makes the muscle contract, the tendon doesn't get stronger, this leads tendon injuries. BTW, ruptured achilles tendon is the number one tendon injury.

Maybe blood went straight to the calf muscle because the cast was on extremely tight, and caused it to look swollen?

Tens machines are no good for muscle growth it won't be from that, there was a study done on the disabled and amputees (spelling) to try and improve there limb muscle mass, electric muscle stimulation was in effective causing no increased mass.

Its more likely since he's an athelete and very active this lay off will have caused the growth simply by resting and his muscles recovering. It can happen and is only short term.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8520using Tapatalk

Tens machines are no good for muscle growth it won't be from that, there was a study done on the disabled and amputees (spelling) to try and improve there limb muscle mass, electric muscle stimulation was in effective causing no increased mass.

Its more likely since he's an athelete and very active this lay off will have caused the growth simply by resting and his muscles recovering. It can happen and is only short term.

TENS unit it totally different, it is for pain relief only. A Russian Estim is for muscle contraction and atrophy. The size increase is most likely a combo of edema and maybe the result of alot of Estim.

Pics?
Guys this is someone else's leg and the guy lives in a different state. Can't provide pics, sorry; I am seeing the guy like once every other month.

Swollen? No it is not swollen. By the time I saw his leg it was out of the cast for a week and has been used already. It is also pretty ripped because this guy is a hardcore athlete and walks around at like 8-9 percent bf. While he was in a cast, he was even more careful with his diet and he told me he did a lot of upper body aerobic work. To me, he looked even leaner than before. There is veins on his lower leg all over. Take my word for it; it is definitely not swollen. I am not selling a machine or anything... just sharing what I saw.

As far as "he rested and therefore his muscle grew".... WTF? In the history of mankind, probably nobody's muscle grew while in a cast. Resting for 5-7 days I can see that happening. For two weeks, but active rest, maybe. But keeping a limb in a cast for several weeks, completely immobilized...? No disrespect, but no frikkin way the muscle will grow. It will definitely shrink.

The doctor by the way told him this is the first time he was seeing this happen.

Yeh I doubt it would happen over weeks but I'm thinking if he was such a highly active athelete with a high metabolic rate and good protein synthesis from all his physical activity and had some sort of 'in-road' in his recovery that a lay off would allow his body to catch up.

I know a good few mma fighters training every day very intense training, one had a lay off from a back injury so his activity dropped dramaticly and his weight shot up. So if your bodies working and recovering at a higher rate and you have a lay off then it is possible for some muscle gain to occur to some degree.

If you lift weights for a long period and have a lay off and guys go back to the gym after 1-2weeks of and break new personal best, is down to in-roads in there recovery from constant on going activity. So the posibilities are there.

Either way its grown how ever its happened.

Last edited:

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear