over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

RANT: Over-engineered equipment, the latest trend

xpoc

Registered
I have been a gym rat since 1984 and I have seen a LOT of trends come and go. The latest trend is for the worse. All the hoopla over "functional" training has somehow convinced the equipment manufacturers that you must multi-task when exercising. There are endless youtube videos of guys balancing on Bosu balls while doing a kettlebell, pistol squat/overhead press combo. As a result we now have machines that force you do random movements in the name of being "functional." I just visited a gym where the guy giving me a tour proudly said they replaced much of the "dated" Hammer Strength line for the more functional and modern Hoist Rockit line. This is where you do a curl, crunch, couch recline on every rep. And somehow every machine forces you to move...for the sake of moving. WTH is going on here! I understand I am a dinosaur who focuses on barbells and dumbbells. But, I am also a DC disciple so I really do appreciate good machines that allow me to hit failure without needing someone to pull the bar off my chest. Hammer Strength machines are a great example of very effective machines. But, this latest movement toward over-engineered equipment is a troubling trend in gyms that are trying to appear "modern." Here are some examples of what I see at commercial gyms in my area, and HOIST is the biggest offender. I think they somehow inked a deal with some major chains for a reduced price if they purchase in bulk, because I see older (good) machines being replaced with this stuff on a regular basis:

1_detail.gif (400×400) (sport-tiedje.com)

RS-1103-600.gif (600×600) (mjd.fr)

I don’t understand how any gym would want to deal with the upkeep costs of hoist equipment. Too many moving parts to west out replace. Hammer is great because it’s a simple one joint piece that that moves with a ball bearing. Built like tanks. They last a very long time

People have always been starving for some gimmick or gadget to give them an edge or convince themselves they are doing more even if it’s actually less. It’s always been that way but it’s just much more magnified now that life is about endless convenience for everyone.

All those pelotons and weird home gym futuristic apparatus that popped up this year, it’s just the new wave of the same old thing. Every girl or fat loser guy I know thinks a peloton is their one and only ticket straight to the body of a Greek god without a doubt. I tell them all the same thing, if you need a gimmick to work out don’t even waste your time and money.

Lmao my previous gym was filled with the Hoist stuff. Not awful machines if they didn't have that fuckin levitation shit on there. For instance, there were two leg curls that were identical except one had the overengineered horse malarkey and the other didn't; no one, not even old people or fat chicks used the goddamn grave exhumation doohickey. You can't feel it at all in your hams, it's too 'easy'. The general response anyone had when first using the machine was 'WTF?!' I hope it encourages the company that it's not a great seller. I can see machines like that used for physical therapy and older people as I'm assuming the idea is that it reduces torque and stress on other parts of the body, but for guys like us, it's probably not your best choice.

I don’t understand how any gym would want to deal with the upkeep costs of hoist equipment. Too many moving parts to west out replace. Hammer is great because it’s a simple one joint piece that that moves with a ball bearing. Built like tanks. They last a very long time

From an engineering standpoint, the less moving parts, the more inherently reliable the machine. Today's product engineers don't seem to have gotten the memo.

My gym also got some HOIST stuff about a year ago. They make them that you add plates or they already have a stack of weights these have the stack. When I first used the Lat pull down it felt good but on the last set I had two plates left on the stack. So the next time I used it yes I did the whole stack for eight. Right then I knew this plate stack type sucks. Same for Rowing machine I’m using the whole stack immediately. Now the Seated Bicep Curl it feels different but the resistance isn’t there. Feels like I’m having someone spot me on every rep. The Chest Fly the same thing it feels incomplete.
I miss old equipment they felt way better you are actually lifting weight. But now everyone wants the latest and greatest. I get asked questions all the time mostly from youngsters. I always tell them Basics Always Work! They always have and always will. Like in basketball and football you learn the fundamentals first, same here. Always keep basic free weight exercises in your workouts. Deadlifts, Squats, Military Press etc. Those worked for guys in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s like Arnold and they still do. I don’t see anyone doing them enough and it shows. That is real weight you and the weight no pulleys assisting you. Anyway HOIST 👎👎

I agree and disagree. What!!?!

My gym has matrix now. Some
Are ok, some are complete shit. I miss my hammer kits.

Now I disagree because have you ever used some “Prime” equipment? Those things were really thought out and you can really tax the muscle at different lengths.

You think you’ve hit failure?? Naaa....you failed at the shortend position, at the mid and lengthened position you got 6 more reps left.

Fucking DOMS for days the first time you go apeshit on a prime machine

I too have been a gym rat since the 70s...I first noticed how the engineering of equipment has changed...the first was lat pulldown machines...when seated look up at the pulley...it is sometimes a foot in front of you...it should be directly overhead...the second is the new generation of smith machines where the guide poles are angled...why did they change from straight up?...flat bench press benches where the bench ends where it is parallel with the uprights causing you to have your head to hang off the bench.,.four of the five bench press benches at my gym are like this...also, the uprights can't be adjusted for tall lifters making the lift off a half rep...I have benched out of a power rack for the past 25 years because of this...the list is endless...

I too have been a gym rat since the 70s...I first noticed how the engineering of equipment has changed...the first was lat pulldown machines...when seated look up at the pulley...it is sometimes a foot in front of you...it should be directly overhead...

And exactly why on Lat pull downs I make sure that when I'M doing them, the plumb comes straight down.

Now I disagree because have you ever used some “Prime” equipment? Those things were really thought out and you can really tax the muscle at different lengths.

You think you’ve hit failure?? Naaa....you failed at the shortend position, at the mid and lengthened position you got 6 more reps left.

man I really wish there was a gym anywhere remotely near me that had prime equipment. That stuff is awesome. Designed based off and improved on the old strive equipment. I was driving an hour to the state next door when they opened back up before us and they had a lot of that strive kit. Loved the stuff.

Most brands don't hit a home run with every piece. Personally not a big fan of Hammer or Hoist. IMO, Strive/Prime, Flex, alot of the old Nautilus, Nebula/Arsenal made many exceptional pieces. Cybex, Bodymasters, and Maxicam had some good ones too. As for Hoist, i really liked their Plate Loaded Seated Row that i think was part of the Roc-It line. Other than that, for me, most of their pieces were mediocre or worse.

The Hoist chest presses feel good to me, but thats about it. Using your bodyweight as some resistance is nice because it allows you to not have to load so many plates on the machine.

This is where you do a curl, crunch, couch recline on every rep. And somehow every machine forces you to move...for the sake of moving.
I've used those machines and didn't have a problem. You don't do a crunch on every rep, you just sit there and do the lift, and the machine moves a little bit. I prefer hammer strength as well but either way is fine IMO.

Most of the gyms near me now use Matrix ( guess it's cheap or so? ) and I don't like it much. Stack loaded isn't heavy enough for most and a lot of the plate loaded stuff has weird strength curves. So not much of a fan but the nearest gym that has anything different is more than an hour away as far as I know.

I have been a gym rat since 1984 and I have seen a LOT of trends come and go. The latest trend is for the worse. All the hoopla over "functional" training has somehow convinced the equipment manufacturers that you must multi-task when exercising. There are endless youtube videos of guys balancing on Bosu balls while doing a kettlebell, pistol squat/overhead press combo. As a result we now have machines that force you do random movements in the name of being "functional." I just visited a gym where the guy giving me a tour proudly said they replaced much of the "dated" Hammer Strength line for the more functional and modern Hoist Rockit line. This is where you do a curl, crunch, couch recline on every rep. And somehow every machine forces you to move...for the sake of moving. WTH is going on here! I understand I am a dinosaur who focuses on barbells and dumbbells. But, I am also a DC disciple so I really do appreciate good machines that allow me to hit failure without needing someone to pull the bar off my chest. Hammer Strength machines are a great example of very effective machines. But, this latest movement toward over-engineered equipment is a troubling trend in gyms that are trying to appear "modern." Here are some examples of what I see at commercial gyms in my area, and HOIST is the biggest offender. I think they somehow inked a deal with some major chains for a reduced price if they purchase in bulk, because I see older (good) machines being replaced with this stuff on a regular basis:

These machines just replicate green the body weight machines that I see outside of all the Veterans Association Hospitals.

Attachments

• img-1874_1_.jpg
    img-1874_1_.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 36
In the Northern CA, '24 hour Fitness' has monopolized the gym scene (No Metroflex, Gold's or The Gym that SoCal has)

All of the the equipment in 24hr fitness is horrible. Any of the smaller gyms in Northern Cali just copy the same layout to a smaller scale, so same equipment.
In the 2000's these "Fitness Gyms" ditched all the older equipment actually designed to build muscle and adopted equipment originally designed for Physical Therapy. Thus the machines are specifically designed to target the muscle whilst keeping strain as low as possible with the goal of gaining functional Strength and nothing beyond that.Obv great for rehabbing and horrible for muscle gains.

There isn't a single establishment in the Bay Area that has even has gym in the title name. It's no coincidence that no leg day aka mens physique division is becoming prominent.
I believe it before the pandemic that 24hr Fitness declared bankruptcy, and my honest hope is that the whole chain goes under and allows some of the real gyms to return.

Hahah
If the seat cushion and foot pedals would VIBRATE then we'd really be increasing Fat Burning functionality!!!

Not EVERY BODY is a bodybuilder who wants to train for the biggest muscles possible.

Functional and unconventional training methods go a long ways in developing core strength, athletic ability and coordination.

Not EVERY BODY is a bodybuilder who wants to train for the biggest muscles possible.

Functional and unconventional training methods go a long ways in developing core strength, athletic ability and coordination.

Understood. Please explain to me how the Hoist Rockit line (I included links) are functional and go a long ways toward developing core strength, athletic ability, and coordination? Thanks.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131