over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Bulking and Cycling

Sassy

Featured Member/ Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I just wanted to put a word of caution out. Yes as much as I hate to admit it, I'm hitting the big 5-0 this year. :eek:

I have always had a very high metabolism. I never gained the freshman 15. I started working out in college, so dieting was not in my vocabulary. Don't get me wrong, I would try to eat health... baked not fried. Lot's of veggies, etc. I did have a lot to learn when it came to eating, but for the most part I tried to eat health. It wasn't until my 30's that I decided to start competing. That's when it all fell into place. I could be contest ready with in 12-10 weeks. Woooho! In my 40's I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to get the weight off.

Competition season is now in full swing. I wanted to give those of you who are younger some food for thought. Be cautious (especially the ladies) about your rebound after a competition. IMO, it effects your metabolism. The constant "bulking" and "cutting" seems to slow the metabolism.

What got me thinking about it was an article I read about the "Biggest Loser" contestants that lost hundreds of pounds and how they struggle to keep the weight off. Researches noticed that their body's metabolism slowed down significantly. I thought I would share the article. I'm just wonder what other have experienced over the years as you get older. What has your experience been?

After ‘The Biggest Loser,’ Their Bodies Fought to Regain Weight

It's a long article. If you want it cut and pasted into this thread, just let me know. I'll have to do it later.

I just wanted to put a word of caution out. Yes as much as I hate to admit it, I'm hitting the big 5-0 this year. :eek:

I have always had a very high metabolism. I never gained the freshman 15. I started working out in college, so dieting was not in my vocabulary. Don't get me wrong, I would try to eat health... baked not fried. Lot's of veggies, etc. I did have a lot to learn when it came to eating, but for the most part I tried to eat health. It wasn't until my 30's that I decided to start competing. That's when it all fell into place. I could be contest ready with in 12-10 weeks. Woooho! In my 40's I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to get the weight off.

Competition season is now in full swing. I wanted to give those of you who are younger some food for thought. Be cautious (especially the ladies) about your rebound after a competition. IMO, it effects your metabolism. The constant "bulking" and "cutting" seems to slow the metabolism.

What got me thinking about it was an article I read about the "Biggest Loser" contestants that lost hundreds of pounds and how they struggle to keep the weight off. Researches noticed that their body's metabolism slowed down significantly. I thought I would share the article. I'm just wonder what other have experienced over the years as you get older. What has your experience been?

Unfortunately, the Biggest Loser contestants are put through less than optimal conditions when they are "losing weight". I've read testimonials from former contestants that they would workout upwards of 8 hours a day (not all the time) and would be on a severe caloric deficit. I mean, it's not rocket science that if you take a morbidly obese person who consumes 8,000 kcals a day and does no physical activity and cut them down to 1,000 kcals and exercise the amount they do they will lose a tremendous amount of weight. That's all fine and dandy when in a controlled environment, BUT, when they go back to the "real world" of having to work and have actual responsibilities, they are not able to maintain it. Sure, they have "stresses" while they're at the compound, but nothing like having to go to work 8+ hours a day and pay bills. They aren't able to continue to work out as much as they did, and their eating habits will be less than optimal when they have more choices. At the compound, the foods available to them are restricted, in the real world, they can eat anything they want. And they do, which is why many gain back a lot of their weight. Many of them, if not all, got to their size because of underlying issues they covered with food, much like an alcoholic or drug addict does. I believe there are many factors to look at when studying these people and not just age, but yes, age does have an effect on ones metabolism

FWIW, the last pic I saw of you, you looked tremendous for someone approaching the half century mark!

Last edited:
Your talking about 2 different ball games. Obese men will have low T, high estrogen, bad ratio and when the lose "fat" they are also losing a tremendous amount of lean mass. Now compare that to a person that is chemically enhanced or even just upper range on test and it's totally different. Of course fat people Losing lean mass (muscle) will affect their metabolism. I think the article is kinda useless for people around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because I don't watch "Big Loser' and haven't kept up with their diet and work out routines, I'm not familiar with what they are doing to loose the weight. I'm with you on loose too much weight too fast isn't healthy and is more likely to cause rebound. I realize this doesn't apply to people on this board.

I did find the research interesting. It's been a 10 year struggle for me to keep the weight off that I gained after my last competition. It was over 25 lbs... let's just say I stopped weight once I hit 150lbs. :( I was diagnosed years ago with Hypothyroidism, so I realize that is a challenge. I go to an Endocrinologist that monitors my thyroid and hormones. Every time I gain too much, I find my metabolism seem slower and getting the weight off takes longer.

I think the last pic I posted was at 40. Lately, I'm feeling a little fluffy. :(

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131