over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

ok need some advice from you pit owners

GorillaGenetics

Registered
ok heres my situation ive been looking for a dog for a couple months now nothing serious just reading about different breeds. I was at the spca yesterday and they just got a litter of pitbull puppies and i fell in love with them.

i wasnt really looking for a pit but i really like the breed and i wont have a problem raising him a bunch of my friends have pits so im not worried about that but what other complications come with having a "aggressive breed" dog like do you need insurance how hard is it to find a new living situation if i move in a couple years.

i really want this dog but i want to know what im getting myself into before i got for it

I adopted a 1 year old male Pitbull from SPCA and he has been the greatest dog Ive ever owned. Period. Ive had several different breeds from large to small and this guy is by far the most intelligent and loyal of them all. It is all up to YOU. You the owner/trainer will ultimately determine how your dog behaves. Neutering a male will do wonders for taming the aggression. SPCA will not allow dogs to be released until spay/neuter has been performed so that shouldnt be an issue. Read and learn from trusted sources and you will see that the Pit is one of the best breeds in existance.

I do not know your living conditions so I cannot offer advice on that issue. I know that most apartments and rental agencies will discriminate against Pit, Rots, and large breed dogs due to their own ignorance and media hype. Ive seen small dogs destroy rental homes by literally chewing holes in doors and destroying carpet with urine and other disgusting stains. I own a home so its never been an issue. If you rent just tell them that you have a Staffordshire Terrier. Most folks wont make the connection and you wont really be stretching the truth too much.

Last edited:
I adopted a 1 year old male Pitbull from SPCA and he has been the greatest dog Ive ever owned. Period. Ive had several different breeds from large to small and this guy is by far the most intelligent and loyal of them all. It is all up to YOU. You the owner/trainer will ultimately determine how your dog behaves. Neutering a male will do wonders for taming the aggression. SPCA will not allow dogs to be released until spay/neuter has been performed so that shouldnt be an issue. Read and learn from trusted sources and you will see that the Pit is one of the best breeds in existance.

I do not know your living conditions so I cannot offer advice on that issue. I know that most apartments and rental agencies will discriminate against Pit, Rots, and large breed dogs due to their own ignorance and media hype. Ive seen small dogs destroy rental homes by literally chewing holes in doors and destroying carpet with urine and other disgusting stains. I own a home so its never been an issue. If you rent just tell them that you have a Staffordshire Terrier. Most folks wont make the connection and you wont really be stretching the truth too much.
SOLID ADVICE.... ITS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU RAISE THEM...

Solid advice

Its all in how you raise them, however i do know most apartment communities have breed restrictions. And now even home owners insurance denies some aggresive breeds, so rental homes can be difficult to find as well.

And the whole stafford shire terrier thing won't fly either. People aren't stupid. LOL
:)

Say you have an American Staff there are pretty much identical to pitts in appearance ;)

Say you have an American Staff there are pretty much identical to pitts in appearance ;)

I understand what you are saying, but you do realize that there are like 20 dogs considered to be bully breeds? A person calss a pit based on the characteristics it has. This list is quite long, but can inclube the American Bulldag, American Staffordshire terrier, American pitbull terrier, An italian mastiff. The papers don't have to say pitbull, for it to be classified as a pitbull.

Staright fom wikepedia: The name "Staffordshire Terrier" was adopted by some owners as a way of distancing the breed from a name with a stigma, and was recognized by the American Kennel Club in 1936. Later, the word "American" was added to reduce confusion with its smaller British cousin, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Once an extremely popular family dog in the United States (for example, the dog in The Little Rascals movies and in Buster Brown was an APBT), the American Pit Bull Terrier's popularity began to decline in the United States following World War II in favor of other breeds.
American Pit Bull Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'll put it this way. If I walk to my window to open it, my buddies right there. If I walk up and down my house steps a hundred times in one day, my buddies right there. If I reach down to pet him he lays on his back so you can rub his stomach. Little bastard gets on my nerves cause he's just like a little kid! :D Pits are some of the biggest babies. I like them cause they make all the tough guys cross the street when I walk down with him. hahahahaha But hey, I aint telling them he's the biggest pushover. :p

You'll have a blast brother. And they do turn out to be chic magnets too! (trust me :p)

As with any dog, you're not going to know what you have for a while. If these dogs are from the SPCA they are probably mixed or at the very best scatterbred. That definitely does not mean that those puppies won't grow up to be great dogs but they could also be not so great. The genetic diversity they have makes them more of a question mark than a linebred dog from a (good) breeder who has been working his line for years would be.

I know the "it's all how you raise them" crowd will disagree but it isn't all how you raise them. Sure, socialization, obedience and exposing them to the world is a must and goes a long way toward making the dog a stable, trustworthy companion but the genetic component is being overlooked here. A dog that is genetically "nervy" is always going to be unstable, a dominant dog will always be dominant and dog aggressive dog will always be dog aggressive. You can minimize those characteristics but you can't erase them.

I have had several different "bully" type dogs and despite being raised the same way they all turned out very different. That's the genetic component.

Having said all that, I think adopting a dog is a great way to go. Just do your part with socializing, training and loving the dog and the odds are you will end up with a great pet whose weaknesses are nothing you can't overcome by being a responsible, vigilant owner. Remember, your potential dog is a member of a very feared and hated breed. By owning the dog it's your responsibility to help counteract that image.

SOLID ADVICE.... ITS ALL ABOUT HOW YOU RAISE THEM...

Not if you have a pit with game. Once they hit maturity, a switch turns on. I've thought the same until my pup matured and wanted to tear every other dog a new hole. Great people dog. Just the prey drive was insane.

Last edited:
Not if you have a pit with game. Once they hit maturity, a switch turns on. I've thought the same until my pup matured and wanted to tear every other dog a new hole. Great people dog. Just the prey drive was insane.

That is pretty much a general statement that would apply to ALL breeds. Any dog has potential to be aggressive, not to mention that some dogs just dont get along with others. What kind of "switch" turns on ? Ive never heard of such nonsense. All of the sudden out of nowhere the dog becomes a maneater?

As with any dog, you're not going to know what you have for a while. If these dogs are from the SPCA they are probably mixed or at the very best scatterbred. That definitely does not mean that those puppies won't grow up to be great dogs but they could also be not so great. The genetic diversity they have makes them more of a question mark than a linebred dog from a (good) breeder who has been working his line for years would be.

I know the "it's all how you raise them" crowd will disagree but it isn't all how you raise them. Sure, socialization, obedience and exposing them to the world is a must and goes a long way toward making the dog a stable, trustworthy companion but the genetic component is being overlooked here. A dog that is genetically "nervy" is always going to be unstable, a dominant dog will always be dominant and dog aggressive dog will always be dog aggressive. You can minimize those characteristics but you can't erase them.

I have had several different "bully" type dogs and despite being raised the same way they all turned out very different. That's the genetic component.

Having said all that, I think adopting a dog is a great way to go. Just do your part with socializing, training and loving the dog and the odds are you will end up with a great pet whose weaknesses are nothing you can't overcome by being a responsible, vigilant owner. Remember, your potential dog is a member of a very feared and hated breed. By owning the dog it's your responsibility to help counteract that image.

Why would you think that just because a dog was from the SPCA that it isnt pure bred? These shelter dogs are usually mixed but Ive seen MANY pure bred dogs pass through our local shelter. I am a card carrying member of the SPCA and I have been for several years. Ive seen enough to know better. There are countless pure bred dogs available for adoption. Please dont discourage people with generalized unfair statements. We have a hard enough time getting rid of the ones we have already. Besides, Its time to put an end to these so called "breeders" or puppy mills as I like to call them. There is no guarantee when you buy from these people. Many breeders sell sick pupppies with undocumented and or falsified AKC papers.

That is pretty much a general statement that would apply to ALL breeds. Any dog has potential to be aggressive, not to mention that some dogs just dont get along with others. What kind of "switch" turns on ? Ive never heard of such nonsense. All of the sudden out of nowhere the dog becomes a maneater?

Well, I bought tow malamutes. Brother and sister. Raised them same way. When the female hit 2 years old, she became the most animal agressive dog I have ever seed. Some switch flipped. We had to get rid of her. She attack her brother regularly along with any other animal with such savagery that it was scary.

great breed !!! im on my second one and there the only dog ill ever own....raise them right ,pay attention to them,socialize them from the day you bring them home and youll have a life long friend....as far as insurance goes...if they know you have a dog, if your in a apt. or condo tell the insur. you have a "terrier" dont say what kind and make sure you talk to your future neighbors befor you move in and introduce them to your new happy , friendly , safe , pitbull so they arent affraid and make future problems for you....good luck and lets keep tryin to help the name of this wonderful breed!!!

Well, I bought tow malamutes. Brother and sister. Raised them same way. When the female hit 2 years old, she became the most animal agressive dog I have ever seed. Some switch flipped. We had to get rid of her. She attack her brother regularly along with any other animal with such savagery that it was scary.

As I stated, ANY dog has the potential to become aggressive. Not just Pitbulls. It is usually brought on by their environment however. Something triggers the reaction. There will always be exceptions to any rule. I just hate to see people spreading the misinformation & ignorance about Bull terriers. It is unjustified.

I have 2 Rotties, great dogs, the fall in with the stereo type also. it all has to do with how you raise them. Pits are great dogs also.

Pits are the best dogs ever I got mine from the SPCA 2 years ago he is my best friend little bitch whines if I dont let him sleep in bed with me. Now dont get me wrong he is a super nice dog very friendly loves other animals but just the other day at the dog park my girl had him and he was attatcked by a pitbull lab mix and was cut up pretty bad. Long story short they were plaing for aprox 30mins and the lab/pit bit my boy Mack on his face and cut him open so remember they are animals they react just like humans he backed up and took his shot latching on the the lab/pit neck and back of head. After 2 mins of my massive 105lb girl trying to pull them apart along with the other dog owner Macks face was bleeding badly and the little bitch that started the fight now only has 1 ear. But other then that incident he is a great boy and would never ever get any other kind of dog. Most loyal and respected pet I have ever had I know no matter where I go he has my back even if I get up 2 pee middle of night from drinking 2 gallons of water he gets up and walks me to the bathroom....Here are some pics.

Attachments

• IMG00122-20090906-1517.jpg
    IMG00122-20090906-1517.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG00090-20090905-1011.jpg
    IMG00090-20090905-1011.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG00024-20091001-2349.jpg
    IMG00024-20091001-2349.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG00123-20090906-1554.jpg
    IMG00123-20090906-1554.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 202
they are amazing dogs that jut get a bad wrap.

GG, will be the best move you ever made...what a great, playfull and loving dog. I have no problems with my girl, sometimes she just never stops. :)

pits for the win!!!!!! only other dog ill ever get is an english bulldog...but thats when im old an retired and want someone lazier then me for a pet hahahhahaaha.....i love both my pits

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131