advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Over -50 Nationals - Am I fooling myself?

ojs

Featured Member
Registered
Don't want to waste anyone's time. I'm 56 next month. And I'm going back and forth on wanting to compete in the Master's Nationals.

I'm putting up one picture taken July 05. Can I be competitive in the Over-50 class? I should say that I don't know if I can get my leg development back because of illial band issues. My back and shoulders are a hair thicker. The Avatar picture was taken early this year.

Attachments

• July 2005sm.jpg
    July 2005sm.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 5,187
Last edited:
HECK NO

Don't want to waste anyone's time. I'm 56 next month. And I'm going back and forth on wanting to compete in the Master's Nationals.

I'm putting up one picture taken July 05. Can I be competitive in the Over-50 class? I should say that I don't know if I can get my leg development back because of illial band issues. My back and shoulders are a hair thicker. The Avatar picture was taken early this year.

YOU LOOK GREAT! KEEP GOING, YOU WILL DO REALLY WELL.

Thanks Phil. I do appreciate an encouraging comment coming from you.

But, no judges? Haha!! I was really hoping to get at least a glance and passing grade from a judge.

ok..I'm an IFBB/NPC Judge bro! You look great! VERY nice symmetry and shape which is about 40% of the score! you will do VERY well in an over 50 contest like Masters Nationals, and also in an Over 40 contest! Keep us posted here on your contests. Also another item a Judge looks for in Over 40 contests is skin sagging (believe it or not this makes a difference). YOu seem to have great skin tone and that will help, believe me! Just to point out a weakness to work on that my eyes first noted is that you need more flair in your lats.....would really enhance that V taper that is so important.......

GOOD LUCK,
Mike

Thanks Mike. I welcome your critique. I like having my weak points signaled out more than anything.

I have wide hips and my obliques build very easily. I just about slept in a lifting belt to make the taper in that picture.

I was born with no shoulders or back width. I'm 5'11". At age 40 I was still wearing a size 41 business suit jacket(...with padding) with size 35 slacks!! I've done everything I can think of to increase my shoulder and back width. My dad was solid but shaped like a barrel. So my genetics don't help.

Also my biceps are both seriously lagging and tendinitis prone.

If there were a particularly good "Trainer of Old Guys" I'd love to work with him for the next year. I have so many serious aches and pains that I'm thinking the idea of working at the level required for the nationals would be a one year, one time only investment.

Last edited:
Go for it! You look great!

Two suggestions: (1) You might want to do Southern States over 50 class
which particularly this past year was extremely competitive in all weight classes (yes promoter Potter does 3 weight classes in all masters) which is normally scheduled about 2 weeks out of Masters Nationals in July at the
War Memorial in Fort Lauderdale. No doubt the most competitive masters'
show outside of the M. Nationals in Pittsburgh.

(2) Only body part I would say you need to bring up is your chest but you surely would have plenty of time for that prior to competing in Summer 2009.

Best of Luck!

Worldspan

Go for it! You look great!

Two suggestions: (1) You might want to do Southern States over 50 class
which particularly this past year was extremely competitive in all weight classes (yes promoter Potter does 3 weight classes in all masters) which is normally scheduled about 2 weeks out of Masters Nationals in July at the
War Memorial in Fort Lauderdale. No doubt the most competitive masters'
show outside of the M. Nationals in Pittsburgh.

(2) Only body part I would say you need to bring up is your chest but you surely would have plenty of time for that prior to competing in Summer 2009.

Best of Luck!

Worldspan
Thanks I hadn't thought about doing the Southern States. That's an idea worth thinking about.

The chest is a hard one. Not sure it will budge. I'd definitely have to try something new.

Thanks I hadn't thought about doing the Southern States. That's an idea worth thinking about.

The chest is a hard one. Not sure it will budge. I'd definitely have to try something new.

try this:

pec dek machine. Put the seat all the way to the bottom, so your elbows/pads are at your ear level.
Stick your chest out as much as you can, arching your back.
Chin in your chest.

Do the exercise this way, holding the contraction and a slow negative.

try this:

pec dek machine. Put the seat all the way to the bottom, so your elbows/pads are at your ear level.
Stick your chest out as much as you can, arching your back.
Chin in your chest.

Do the exercise this way, holding the contraction and a slow negative.
Thanks. Advice taken!

Ok, what I wanna' know is how yuo got away with no grey hair, LOL! I'm a few years yuonger than yuo, but I have...well, enough.

Seriously, yuo look great - I don't imagine there are but a handful of guys that look this good even at 46!

You're thinknig about the NPC Master's Nationals in PA this summer, right?

Ok, what I wanna' know is how yuo got away with no grey hair, LOL! I'm a few years yuonger than yuo, but I have...well, enough.

Seriously, yuo look great - I don't imagine there are but a handful of guys that look this good even at 46!

You're thinknig about the NPC Master's Nationals in PA this summer, right?
Thanks. I don't know if I can realistically make the prep. But yes. That's what I'm working on.

...and the grey? Hahaha!!! I'm grey from the sideburns down. It's all in the beard and chest.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear