over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Huskies and Warm Weather

bigswol21

Newbies
My girlfriend and I are looking at getting a husky, but we live in a fairly warm climate. Anyone have any experience with them in warm weather? I'd hate to get a dog and have the poor guy be miserable in the heat, but we would have it inside with one of us for the most part in the summers.

I have had a few and I live in San Diego. Where do you live and how hot does it get in the summer? I can tell you right now, huskies are VERY energetic so keeping one in doors is not something that you are going to want to do.

As the above poster stated I would be more concerned with the comment about the pup staying indoors most of the time. Huskies love being outside and never seem to stop running around the place. As to the warm wheather too I can only say that the dog will be forever sheeding in your house. Forget about ever wearing dark clothing again or accept attaching a permenant lint brush to ya.

I would suggest taking a look at akitas. there a large breed dog that are awesome looking and although they have tons of hair the shedding is limited to blowing there coats 1-2 times per year rather then a constant type basis. Also the dogs are quite lazy and are fine with being locked up in small living environments.

As the above poster stated I would be more concerned with the comment about the pup staying indoors most of the time. Huskies love being outside and never seem to stop running around the place. As to the warm wheather too I can only say that the dog will be forever sheeding in your house. Forget about ever wearing dark clothing again or accept attaching a permenant lint brush to ya.

I would suggest taking a look at akitas. there a large breed dog that are awesome looking and although they have tons of hair the shedding is limited to blowing there coats 1-2 times per year rather then a constant type basis. Also the dogs are quite lazy and are fine with being locked up in small living environments.

^good advice here

Hey Bigswole,
I had a husky for 12+ yrs. Lost him in the divorce :(. Great dog, smart as anything, he could say "I Love You" he would even talk back when I scoulded him :) I live in Phoenix, AZ. He was just as miserable as any other dog in the summer time here. He prefered inside during those hot months. Usually sprawled out on his back in front of a fan. They actualy have hollow fur which insulates from heat and cold. The one poster that mentioned shedding. Twice a year when the seasons change he will change coats. You'll have to brush him almost daily for a couple of weeks but other than that it's no worse than a lab or any other dog that sheds. One thing is they are runners. They will escape any chance they get. Good luck!

Have you seen the youtube vid's of the talking husky's?? ...just sayin:rolleyes:

Renewlyf is absolutely correct on the fur comment they have an under coat that keeps them cool.. Don't be one of the goof balls that thinks shaving there dog will help in the summer you will do more harm then good ..

My girlfriend and I are looking at getting a husky, but we live in a fairly warm climate. Anyone have any experience with them in warm weather? I'd hate to get a dog and have the poor guy be miserable in the heat, but we would have it inside with one of us for the most part in the summers.

Couple of things i can recommend to you. Ive had huskies all my life. One they get bored very easily and need attention. Not a dog that you want to keep locked up in the house for 8-10 hours at a time, they will get into trouble, even the most well behaved ones. They love to dig, you will start finding holes in your backyard, so if you love your yard u may wanna rethink. As far as heat goes, as long as they have shelter and adequete water throughout the day, they will be fine. My parents have one and on super hot days they will put a small kddy pool with water in it in the backyard and she will get into it when she is hot to cool down. But they shed a lot of their coat thickness to stay cool also. If you have never had one they have a personality that is very unique that you will soon find ouit about. Not a bad thing just very unique from other breeds, mine, she will actually get mad at me, like my wife would. It hilarious and then i can tell when she forgives me cause she'll comelay on my lap. Like if i go to a buddies and come home smelling like another dog, she will smell me and then ignore me for the rest of the night lol

My 3/4 husky 1/4 Wolf did just fine in the hot season. Stayed inside when any dog should.... Summers requier almost daily brushing and a belly and crotch area shave to let off heat better.

A Husky will be fine I'm sure, they can adapt to climate just like humans. You may notice less fluffiness due to its shedding cycle being in "It's hot as Hell" mode. I live in Chicago so we get both extremes lol.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws