over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Disk Checking

OK! I ran chkdsk /r and got the same message that I did when I ran CHKDSK /f Then it promped me to schedule CHK DSK next time I boot my computer and then it runs throught the same scenario. I understand that both of you are qualified to assist me and I appreciate the responses. I did in fact go and buy a 320GB HDD for a ridiculously low price so I did not mind the purchase. My question in this...Do I really need the adapter or can I just install the new drive as a secondary and install Windows XP( I got the disk to read) on the secondary drive and then just transfer all of my data etc. to the new drive and then simply uninstall the existing failing drive?

OK! I ran chkdsk /r and got the same message that I did when I ran CHKDSK /f Then it promped me to schedule CHK DSK next time I boot my computer and then it runs throught the same scenario. I understand that both of you are qualified to assist me and I appreciate the responses. I did in fact go and buy a 320GB HDD for a ridiculously low price so I did not mind the purchase. My question in this...Do I really need the adapter or can I just install the new drive as a secondary and install Windows XP( I got the disk to read) on the secondary drive and then just transfer all of my data etc. to the new drive and then simply uninstall the existing failing drive?
Yes! That's what I told you to do. I just had this happen to me and kaiser walked me through it! I'm back up and running.

OK! I installed the new HDD. I completely removed the old HDD. I loaded windows xp, dell drivers and utility disk loaded spyware blaster and spybot updated windows sp2 updated drivers etc. I ended up getting a USB 2.0 IDE adapter. I plugged the adapter to the old HDD and plugged into my computer using the rear USB port(my computer has three and i tried them all) using the supplied cables. i powered up the old HDD and got the following message

Hi Speed USB Devise plugged into non Hi Speed USB Hub The mass storage device is a Hi Speed Usb device and will not function at reduced speed when plugged into a non Hi Speed port.

I checked my device manager and all intel usb ports are working properly I checked the box to not inform me of USB problems so now I do not get that same message, but I can not get the files to transfer because my computer is not locating my old HDD

Am I missing something here? I ran the file and setting transfer wizard and told it that this is my new computer that I want to transfer to and that I want to transfer from a device using a cable through a port. it does not locate usb port

Any help would be greatly appreciated The computer tells me to add Hi-Speed USB Host Controller is this a hardware or software addition. will I be able to work around this issue?

Last edited:
OK! I installed the new HDD. I completely removed the old HDD. I loaded windows xp, dell drivers and utility disk loaded spyware blaster and spybot updated windows sp2 updated drivers etc. I ended up getting a USB 2.0 IDE adapter. I plugged the adapter to the old HDD and plugged into my computer using the rear USB port(my computer has three and i tried them all) using the supplied cables. i powered up the old HDD and got the following message

Hi Speed USB Devise plugged into non Hi Speed USB Hub The mass storage device is a Hi Speed Usb device and will not function at reduced speed when plugged into a non Hi Speed port.

I checked my device manager and all intel usb ports are working properly I checked the box to not inform me of USB problems so now I do not get that same message, but I can not get the files to transfer because my computer is not locating my old HDD

Am I missing something here? I ran the file and setting transfer wizard and told it that this is my new computer that I want to transfer to and that I want to transfer from a device using a cable through a port. it does not locate usb port

Any help would be greatly appreciated The computer tells me to add Hi-Speed USB Host Controller is this a hardware or software addition. will I be able to work around this issue?
your old computer is USB 1.0 and your adapter is USB 2. Also, I think there was an issue at one point where you had to set your USB ports to "Hi Speed" in the BIOS and there was another issue where you had to have the USB 2 drivers installed on your machine. But I think XP recognizes USB 2.0 now. You may have one more purchase to make:

A PCI USB 2.0 card. I know for a fact that you can get those DIRT cheap although I never needed to buy one.

Oh and let me edit this too... I would NOT use any automated settings transfer software. I'd do it myself.

OTH Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one..I understand that to add a Hi-Speed usb controller is a hardware issue. If I go back to my original thought to set up the old HDD as a slave. How would I go about tranferring data manually to the new primary or master HDD. Would I need to be concerned with jumper set ups in the master and slave positions?

the reason its not fixing the error is you need to reboot with the operating cd in then it will work

OTH Thanks for hanging in there with me on this one..I understand that to add a Hi-Speed usb controller is a hardware issue. If I go back to my original thought to set up the old HDD as a slave. How would I go about tranferring data manually to the new primary or master HDD. Would I need to be concerned with jumper set ups in the master and slave positions?
That's what I'd do but I didn't want to get into that because that was confusing to me at first. I had a lot of trouble. If the new drive you bought is an IDE drive than yeah you could make it a "slave" drive to the primary or "master" drive. You just have to make sure you make your main drive the master drive and your old drive the secondary by setting the jumpers on the drive itself. Somewhere on the drive you should see a set of jumpers marked with something like

MA --
SL --
CS --

I think by default most are set to CS which means cable select. Although I'm thinking the easiest thing for you to do now is just create a folder on your new drive called "old drive" or something and just unplug your CDROM and plug that right into the old drive and then copy all data on the old drive to the "old drive" folder and then shut down and plug your CDROM back in.

If you plan to leave the drive in for a while then use the jumpers if there on the Primary IDE channel or put them on the secondary IDE. Remember you have two. The primary usually has your hard drive and the secondary has your CDROM or DVD drive. I have mine loaded with two DVD-RW's and two IDE drives and 4 SATA drives. You should have plenty of places to plug it in right inside the machine.

One thing to consider though. I've had corrupt files copy over to the new drive when moving them and I had one hell of a time getting rid of the corrupt file. I had a corrupt zip file that read 0kb in size and I just COULD NOT get rid of that little bastard. I finally reformatted the partition (it wasn't on my system partition).

I actually know this kind of stuff pretty well because I've had so many home computer problems. Plus it's kind of fun.

the reason its not fixing the error is you need to reboot with the operating cd in then it will work

You do not know what the hell you are talking about. don't listen to this guy, he's not qualified to work on a C64.

You do not know what the hell you are talking about. don't listen to this guy, he's not qualified to work on a C64.
He's really hung up on that OS CD isn't he??? What's up with that? I never use the CD for recovery. And I've never had much luck with Last Known Good Configuration either. I always turn off the Indexing service, System Restore too. And I don't like dynamic disks either. Basic all the way if at all possible. I don't like software RAID either.

wow im really impressed that your company has that many worlwide nodes wht is that suppose to mean? you can only fix so many at one time . when you run chkdsk /r and it cannot fix that sector then you run chdsk /f and fix it i do this on daily basis maybe im not one of 5 senior/lead infrastructure engineers for a world wide company with 486,000+ nodes . wow thats great im very impressed with your knowledge .but ill tell u i can run with the best of them to bad you couldnt help someone repair their hard drive you could only tell them how to buy a new hard drive . i would have thought some one being that you a microsoft mvp u could help some one fix a problem that is easily fixed without having to buy a hardrive . ive showed this email to many friends and technical gurus and i think you are a fraud .486,000 nodes , 27 nodes in you house ? ok this isnt a pissing match i could care less im not impressed . i think i can handle my job pretty good , i read one of you articles about how to hide original the url address of your website , why dont you tell people how to spoof emails too. its a good thing u dont work for me cause every time a blue screen came up and you decided its time to replace the harddrive you would be fired for costing the company $ ,and i think the only place you are highly regarded on the net is on this board .good luck managing all those nodes . i deal with real bussiness people and usually the guys who got it dont brag unlike you . im very open minded . just not impressed by you and you copy and pasting skills.

You are out of your mind and you still do not know what you are talking about. As most normal people can see from the MICROSOFT WEBSITE I POSTED, chkdsk /r implies chkdsk /f which means it INCLUDES it but has more functionality. You can either stop giving poor advice where you so desparately try to shed some sort of knowledge, putting others at risk or you can be banned from this forum. It's also not about the blue screen, you fail to see the forest through the trees. It is about the derivative, which is a platter going bad, that is causing the blue screen. I explained this to you in the last post, but you fail to see the engineering standpoint.
As far as what I do and who I work for along withb owning my own company I put that out there because you started to read off your resume of the whole 50 nodes you service. Give me a break buddy, you have no credentials, and you give poor advice. You are going to make someone lose data if you haven't already.
And oh, as far as the MVP thing goes, Microsoft seems to think I know what I am talking about since they award that to about 60 people a year unlike the MCSE which is in the hundreds of thousands. Since I was awarded it 4 years in total, thats not too bad.
Yes, of course I could teach people how to spoof emails too, but what does that have to do with this discussion?
Copy and pasting skills? If you only knew my name and you looked it up on the net you would see that I am very publicized.

In the end, I have not seen a crdible, articulate comment or direction on how to solve a problem. You give people advice that could potentially lose their data. And the best part is, NONE, and I mean NONE of your solutions make logical sense.

Have fun with your little network buddy. The older you get, the more you will realize just how little you know. Well, hoopefully, anyway. That way you may be able to step up to administering 60 or even a 100 nodes once you finally understand the fundamentals of Windows. LMFAO :p :p :p

Last edited:
He's really hung up on that OS CD isn't he??? What's up with that? I never use the CD for recovery. And I've never had much luck with Last Known Good Configuration either. I always turn off the Indexing service, System Restore too. And I don't like dynamic disks either. Basic all the way if at all possible. I don't like software RAID either.

The greatest thing about his responses are that they have NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to do with the derivative.

One thing to consider though. I've had corrupt files copy over to the new drive when moving them and I had one hell of a time getting rid of the corrupt file. I had a corrupt zip file that read 0kb in size and I just COULD NOT get rid of that little bastard. I finally reformatted the partition (it wasn't on my system partition).

I could have helped you remove that from the table, you should have asked me.

G32,

wow. You should NOT talk any more in here. For your sake at least! Kaiser works for a gov contractor and they and their subs have 100's of thousands of nodes. I have a friend who works for the US government, specifically CMS, and with all the ESRD's and QIO's (this is all medical and research related) there are 100's of thousands of nodes. It is just a massive network of Novell, Unix, and Wintel Servers. Heck, I have a few nodes on there myself.

H, don't worry about this guy. Even I know he hasn't a clue what he's saying. He's probably just beginning his career. I'm not the computer nut you are but I have two phones, a managed switch, 4 pc's, a 2000 server, and NAS box, a treo, an Xbox 360 and a PS3. I'm also building a tivo. That will be 13 nodes in my house and I'm just a hobby guy with a teenager! Plus I am the point of contact at my office so technically that's another 40 or so computers, PDA's, etc so you could say I manage over 50 nodes myself! And I don't even get paid for it!!!

I could have helped you remove that from the table, you should have asked me.
I didn't know you then brutha... I was ON MY OWN!

And I usually am! With your help, plus what I do by myself, I could probably get a job after I retire as a computer repair man.

You make a good living for yourself doing what you do. I think it's fun but for you, it's more like, "Okay, who broke the fucking network now?!?"

G32,

wow. You should NOT talk any more in here. For your sake at least! Kaiser works for a gov contractor and they and their subs have 100's of thousands of nodes. I have a friend who works for the US government, specifically CMS, and with all the ESRD's and QIO's (this is all medical and research related) there are 100's of thousands of nodes. It is just a massive network of Novell, Unix, and Wintel Servers. Heck, I have a few nodes on there myself.

H, don't worry about this guy. Even I know he hasn't a clue what he's saying. He's probably just beginning his career. I'm not the computer nut you are but I have two phones, a managed switch, 4 pc's, a 2000 server, and NAS box, a treo, an Xbox 360 and a PS3. I'm also building a tivo. That will be 13 nodes in my house and I'm just a hobby guy with a teenager! Plus I am the point of contact at my office so technically that's another 40 or so computers, PDA's, etc so you could say I manage over 50 nodes myself! And I don't even get paid for it!!!

Actually the direct company has the 486,000 nodes that I manage. As far as the other contracts they hold with other companies handling their IT, we are talking in the millions of nodes total. But I don't handle any of the outside ones unless It is a special request or an emergency.

OTH, you're extremely smart at anything you do. You'd pick this stuff up like it's nothing as you do everything else.

Actually the direct company has the 486,000 nodes that I manage. As far as the other contracts they hold with other companies handling their IT, we are talking in the millions of nodes total. But I don't handle any of the outside ones unless It is a special request or an emergency.

OTH, you're extremely smart at anything you do. You'd pick this stuff up like it's nothing as you do everything else.
That's unreal. Networks are massive today. When I think of the government and related agencies and the medical, military.... it's daunting. I appreciate the kind words but I don't think I could deal with that kind of pressure. You're a guy like my one buddy who, if HE has a bad day, 100,000 people are sitting around not working. I couldn't handle that.

Oh, and by the way, he takes a bigger salary for himself than I do (that bastard) LOL

That's unreal. Networks are massive today. When I think of the government and related agencies and the medical, military.... it's daunting. I appreciate the kind words but I don't think I could deal with that kind of pressure. You're a guy like my one buddy who, if HE has a bad day, 100,000 people are sitting around not working. I couldn't handle that.

Oh, and by the way, he takes a bigger salary for himself than I do (that bastard) LOL

It IS pressure, you're right. I do my best work when I'm under the gun. I actually thrive on finding solutions to problems instead of just normal every day tasks as they are really boring to me. When you want to move to seerver 2008 for your domain, let me know. Coincidentally, and not trying to brag, but I am the first person, and still listed as such, that created a classified secret Active Directory domain with different NTKs (Need to knows). The design is listed as a DoD standard now as a baseline mandatory setup for security topology.

g32 said:
its a good thing u dont work for me cause every time a blue screen came up and you decided its time to replace the harddrive you would be fired for costing the company $

I'm sorry, i really was going to stay out of this but.. that statement is bullshit. Commercial businesses demand 100% uptime, I don't know of ANYONE in IT that even tries to 'repair' problematic desktops. There is no ROI to use suspect hardware for any reason. Hardware is cheap, especially HD's since everyone should be using a network solution for data storage. HD replacement and reimaging takes 30 minutes tops in the corporate world.

Most 'real' IT shops the mantra is to keep the users up and running no matter what since unless you industry is IT, your users are the ones generating income for the company.

It IS pressure, you're right. I do my best work when I'm under the gun. I actually thrive on finding solutions to problems instead of just normal every day tasks as they are really boring to me. When you want to move to seerver 2008 for your domain, let me know. Coincidentally, and not trying to brag, but I am the first person, and still listed as such, that created a classified secret Active Directory domain with different NTKs (Need to knows). The design is listed as a DoD standard now as a baseline mandatory setup for security topology.

hey K.. I don't suppose I could blame you for all the FDCC shit that usrus and I have been having to deal with this year?

If you'd have caught me 15 years ago, I'd have been all over that. Pressure was all I knew then. You know I love you brother but we're very different creatures. I want simplicity. Simple. Simple. Simple. Then I can devote more time to play. I want my life to be 90% fun and games. That's right. I've been a workaholic for too many years and it paid dividends but I'm trying so hard to put that behind me now.

Staff online

• A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Kamren
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws