over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Fighting nerve damage and muscle atrophy

Sixdog76

Registered
Hey y'all,

Looking for some advice. Had a ruptured disk c6/7 cervical spine. Had an artificial disk replacement. I feel awesome now and am back in the gym full time.

The damage was done though as I have pretty significant atrophy in my chest tricep rear dealt and lay on my left side. Doctor said it would be a full year before those areas come back to normal.

I am on 400 test a week and 4iu Somastim m-f. I have been back at the gym since September 1st. I see progress but there is still a pretty significant imbalance.

Is there anything else I can be doing or taking to speed up this recovery of these muscle groups??

Thanks in advance

I have severe nerve damage to my sciatic nerve from a herniated disc from a car accident. The way I am able to train my left leg is to put an ice pack directly on the spot where the damage is until it's numb, then train until it hurts too bad to do any more, then ice the spot again after training. I do that almost every day.

Hey y'all,

Looking for some advice. Had a ruptured disk c6/7 cervical spine. Had an artificial disk replacement. I feel awesome now and am back in the gym full time.

The damage was done though as I have pretty significant atrophy in my chest tricep rear dealt and lay on my left side. Doctor said it would be a full year before those areas come back to normal.

I am on 400 test a week and 4iu Somastim m-f. I have been back at the gym since September 1st. I see progress but there is still a pretty significant imbalance.

Is there anything else I can be doing or taking to speed up this recovery of these muscle groups??

Thanks in advance

what type disc replacement did you get? It takes time. I have herniated 6-c7 disc too. Are you doing any unilateral exercises to specifically give that side a little more attention.

I have severe nerve damage to my sciatic nerve from a herniated disc from a car accident. The way I am able to train my left leg is to put an ice pack directly on the spot where the damage is until it's numb, then train until it hurts too bad to do any more, then ice the spot again after training. I do that almost every day.

Some hardcore shit right there.

Once again I will spout off about LED light therapy. LED is cheaper than laser and has thousands of study on LIGHT.

Efficacy of low level laser therapy on neurosensory recovery after injury to the inferior alveolar nerve

Comparative effects of wavelengths of low-power laser in regeneration of sciatic nerve in rats following crushing lesion.

Comparative effects of wavelengths of low-power laser in regeneration of sciatic nerve in rats following crushing lesion. - PubMed - NCBI

I can't find all the more relevant studies now, but you can buy an LED light that will work good for $150, or better yet, if you can afford LASER treatment or if you have insurance that will cover laser go for that.

Laser can penetrate deeper than LED (all things equal).

The most important part of Light therapy is calculating the correct dose, which has to do with depth of injury and skin tone/color.

Role of Low-Level Laser Therapy in Neurorehabilitation

SPINAL CORD INJURY
SCI is a severe central nervous system trauma with no effective restorative therapies. Light therapy has biomodulatory effects on central and peripheral nervous tissue. Several groups investigated the effectiveness of LLLT on SCI. Roch-kind et al [80] demonstrated that LLLT applied simultaneously to the injured sciatic nerve and the corresponding segment of the spinal cord accelerates the process of regeneration of the injured peripheral nerve.

Light therapy (810 nm, 150 mW) significantly increased the axonal number and distance of regrowth in 2 SCI models: a contusion model and a dorsal hemisection model [81,82]. In addition, LLLT returned aspects of function to baseline levels and significantly suppressed immune cell activation and cytokine-chemokine expression [81].

Moreover, light therapy significantly improved the average length of axonal regrowth and increased the total axon number for both injury models. A statistically significant lower angle of rotation of the feet was observed during a walking test in the hemisection model and a statistically significant overall functional recovery in contusion model was seen in the LLLT groups. These results suggest that light may be a promising therapy for human SCI [82]."

What a lot of studies look at is improved healing after acute injury. But with disc issues we are looking at how to heal the nerves after chronic injury/insult.

The main idea is that after acute injury to the nervous system there is a unique environment for healing created and that the chance for healing only lasts a short time. This healing environment would include things like nerve growth factor, vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and other more complicated stuff that is beyond me. But in chronic injuries it makes since that we want to re-create the best we can this environment for healing.

There are many supplements to bump up nGF vEGF.

and also Notch inhibitors may help spur healing.

Notch Signaling Inhibits Axon Regeneration

I've read
Curcmin
sulforaphane
and genistein

IMO combining notch inhibitors and growth factors plus laser could be a good treatment.

If you can, go with laser treatments to start. If you want to do DIY with lED let me know.

Once again I will spout off about LED light therapy. LED is cheaper than laser and has thousands of study on LIGHT.

Efficacy of low level laser therapy on neurosensory recovery after injury to the inferior alveolar nerve

Comparative effects of wavelengths of low-power laser in regeneration of sciatic nerve in rats following crushing lesion.

Comparative effects of wavelengths of low-power laser in regeneration of sciatic nerve in rats following crushing lesion. - PubMed - NCBI

I can't find all the more relevant studies now, but you can buy an LED light that will work good for $150, or better yet, if you can afford LASER treatment or if you have insurance that will cover laser go for that.

Laser can penetrate deeper than LED (all things equal).

The most important part of Light therapy is calculating the correct dose, which has to do with depth of injury and skin tone/color.

SPINAL CORD INJURY
SCI is a severe central nervous system trauma with no effective restorative therapies. Light therapy has biomodulatory effects on central and peripheral nervous tissue. Several groups investigated the effectiveness of LLLT on SCI. Roch-kind et al [80] demonstrated that LLLT applied simultaneously to the injured sciatic nerve and the corresponding segment of the spinal cord accelerates the process of regeneration of the injured peripheral nerve.

Light therapy (810 nm, 150 mW) significantly increased the axonal number and distance of regrowth in 2 SCI models: a contusion model and a dorsal hemisection model [81,82]. In addition, LLLT returned aspects of function to baseline levels and significantly suppressed immune cell activation and cytokine-chemokine expression [81].

Moreover, light therapy significantly improved the average length of axonal regrowth and increased the total axon number for both injury models. A statistically significant lower angle of rotation of the feet was observed during a walking test in the hemisection model and a statistically significant overall functional recovery in contusion model was seen in the LLLT groups. These results suggest that light may be a promising therapy for human SCI [82]."

What a lot of studies look at is improved healing after acute injury. But with disc issues we are looking at how to heal the nerves after chronic injury/insult.

The main idea is that after acute injury to the nervous system there is a unique environment for healing created and that the chance for healing only lasts a short time. This healing environment would include things like nerve growth factor, vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), and other more complicated stuff that is beyond me. But in chronic injuries it makes since that we want to re-create the best we can this environment for healing.

There are many supplements to bump up nGF vEGF.

and also Notch inhibitors may help spur healing.

I've read
Curcmin
sulforaphane
and genistein

IMO combining notch inhibitors and growth factors plus laser could be a good treatment.

If you can, go with laser treatments to start. If you want to do DIY with lED let me know.

I posited a study on Curcmin helping heal disc spine injury etc. but i tried everything from stems cells , low laser light, prp, surgery, bpc157, tb500 etc. Nothing really going to make anything 100%. None stuff above made huge difference either. My left leg is permanently smaller after years of neuropathy on that side. Same with my left arm after disc her nation on that side as well. I i can say is use ten unit and stim shit out of those muscles on that side and use unilateral exercises and really focus couple sets of slow reps, focus on eccentric portion and hold the contraction for few seconds. Then do couple fats sets explosive. So your do maybe 4 extra sets on the weak side as described above and use tens stim unit that side only and it should help really make a difference. My left calf was a whole 1" smaller than my right now i got it within 1/2".

Last edited:
I can relate on a much lower level, so to speak. Had a L5/S1 herniated disc. My right calf is smaller then the other but I think it's catching up. Good luck to you!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear