over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anyone use a natural diet for dogs

comedycentral

Registered
18 months ago we rescued a very neglected and starved Rottweiler boy who was around 12-18 months old

Sadly he seems to be suffering a touch of arthritis or stiffness in his right leg.

The vet seems to want to push a product which seems to be glucosamine and a few other bits at mega price.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do diet wise to reduce inflammation and certain supps to help him.

I was wondering about cumin, glucosamine, fish oil amino acids maybe?

Any other ideas

i know a pretty good deal about animal nutrition
may i ask what you are currently feeding

Thanks

I'm based in the uk and currently use a dry food which is salmon and potato

18 months ago we rescued a very neglected and starved Rottweiler boy who was around 12-18 months old

Sadly he seems to be suffering a touch of arthritis or stiffness in his right leg.

The vet seems to want to push a product which seems to be glucosamine and a few other bits at mega price.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do diet wise to reduce inflammation and certain supps to help him.

I was wondering about cumin, glucosamine, fish oil amino acids maybe?

Any other ideas

Poor little guy.... but he is lucky you rescued him:)

You should try PM-ing emeric delczeg. I bet he will know what's best for your boy:)

Last edited:
I don't know about for dogs but I use Bromelain for inflammation in my joints and know people who have lupus that use it. Works awesome and is cheap. Can't see it hurting a dog because it's just extract from pineapple stems, you'd probably want to double check If it's ok

I'll also use borage oil and ginger root when my hand acts up

Can't help you but i say this, your a damn good person rescuing the fella,you've saved him a lot of pain and discomfort and probably his life. I hate seeing neglected animals

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That's incredible, thanks for saving the pup's life!

RAW diet usually does wonders for dogs, so I highly recommend that you look into it. Seems a little involved at first, but it's well worth the effort -- and it gets very easy once you get a hang of it.

Here, check out this thread for more info: http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/members-pets/69806-raw-diet.html

Take a look at this, too -- LOTS of good info there: Leerburg Dog Training | Q&A Feeding a Raw Diet

Supplementing with Vit E, fish oil, glucosamine -- all good ideas and will never hurt a dog, so definitely do that, too!

Good luck to you and the pup, please keep us posted!

Thanks for all the replies

The more I've thought about it. As bodybuilders and athletes we know that processed foods in means poorer performance out so why would it be different for animals.

Instead of increasing supps I'm hoping natural foods that already contain these things will do the trick

Kudos to you for rescuing !

Please do contact ermeric, I was/am going to as well, just never got around to it.

- Add salmon or trout oil to there foods, 1TBS.

- glusoscumine (just undo the capsule and pour)

- 1 Extra strenght tums for there joint and muscles (this was from my doberman breeder)

- there farts will smell but 1 clove of garlic

Great job on the rescue. I too have a rott. About half his diet is raw, the other is Taste of The Wild dry dog food. On occasion, he seems to have some joint discomfort. I give him 2 tabs of TrueProteins cissus per day untill it subsides. Seems to work very well and he shows no signs of any sides.

i rescued a siberian husky puppy from some people who let him go
because they couldnt afford to feed him ... i drove across 3 states to get him
700 miles. he was 14 weeks old and 8 pounds , when you pet him his back
felt like a serated edge knife .. i was determined to get him well and did a lot of research on dog food what i found was horrific ..
BUT i do remember reading dog food is much better regulated in europe

glucosamine treatment for a dog of rottwieler size would be about 1600 mg
split in 2 doses a day for a few weeks then tapered down to about 750 a day
for a maint. dose

there is a nutrition plan for canines called RAW it works wonders if you have the dedication to do it ... there is plenty about it on the web

regular excersize of course

i had a sled team of huskies at one time here are some easy food supplements
i gave them regularly ..
yogart , sardines in water , i would make salmon patties with some cracker crumbs and crushed up total breakfast cereal . bones , eggs

good luck and kudos to you

My hunting dogs get a raw diet with garlic every day , i have a big male thats 12 now and he still gets around fine , takes him a min to warm up but once he is you would never know he wasent younger.

Since i started feeding them raw meat and garlic they are much healthier , they dont get little sores from bug bites and they rarely get tics on them and when we do find them they are just crawing around not dug in. I had a female that was alergic to horse flys , is she got bit she would get a huge welp and it would turn to a sore , after i changed to raw meat with garlic that stopped completly.

Id feed him a few raw eggs a day , just mixit up with his dry dog food if you give him that or just put it in a bowl and he'll drink it right down

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear