over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Best Laptop in the $400-500 range

Stewie

Featured Member / Verified Customer
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Verified Customer
I'm as dumb as they come when it comes to Laptops or any type of PC ...is what it is :(

So anyway, my son is headed off to college next year, we were out looking at laptops at Best buy, he's much more Computer savvy than I am.

He's picked out a HP 17.3" Pavilion with 4Gb memory, 500 GB hard drive.

Is this a decent laptop? Maybe look into a different one?
Some place other than Best buy? Online purchase?

I haven't purchased it yet, anyone with opinions on if this laptop is one that would get him through at least a couple of years of college? I'm sure it will ...

Thanks for any suggestions

If your son is planning on using this to take notes on with during class, 17" is going to be to big to haul around.

I've hauled laptops around since about '96 and for the past 5 years, I have gone down to a 14" laptop. It is lighter, easier to haul around, the screen is big enough to work on and the battery lasts longer than the larger laptops.

I also have a 10.1 that I carry but that is just for notes and internet access as the screen is not big enough to so much else (screen resolution limited to 800x600 and max ram is 2gb).

I use my heavy 15.6" laptop as my main machine at home now as its a pain to haul around. I plug it into a 26" flatscreen tv and use an external keyboard and mouse with it.

Find out what programs he is thinks he will need while at school. He can find out from counselors or from student support. The 3 uni's near where I live use programs that are compatible with with windows, mac, and linux os's.

If a mac is a better choice, then once he gets his college ID, he can get the student discount from Apple or at the student store at the college.

Whatever you end up getting, here are some minimal system specs that I would suggest to last several years:

CPU - i3 or better

RAM - at least 4GB

HardDrive - size really doesn't matter, can use external if more storage is needed.

CD/DVD - again, doesn't matter, can use external drive. More of todays lightweight laptops are dropping the CD/DVD drive to make a thinner lighter laptop.

Screen size - 15.6" may end up being to heavy unless you spend the bucks for a lightweight "ultra" laptop. I would try and stay in the 4lb range for mobility.

He will regret a 17 inch screen, even a 15 inch.

Get a 13 inch.

When I first went to college I had a 15 inch. Too big. It broke so I got a 13 inch. Broke that recently and even though I graduated last year I got another 13 inch. Much more convenient size.

i just bought the toshiba satellite 14"
6GB mem.
intel core i3
windows 7
dvd

pretty decent.....fast, its also got "dolby advanced audio"......
speakers are pretty good....loud....

i like it alot

:cool:

6GB mem.
intel core i3
windows 7
dvd

i like it alot

Intel I3 core and u can multi-task on it? Don't tell me it's a celeron processor too?

Intel I3 core and u can multi-task on it? Don't tell me it's a celeron processor too?

yes....multi-task

celeron (they told me) is obsolite/outdated

Stewie, don't buy anything from bestbuy. You can get a comparable or better laptop online for the same amount or cheaper.

I use dealnews.com for good buys. My g/f bought a sony vaio last year for around $550. i5, 500gb hd, i forget the rest. Sometimes dell or microsoft throw in a free xbox 360 if you buy certain laptops... just something to think about.

Last edited:
Does he use a laptop now?

If so get the same size screen if he likes it.

I would go go Walmart. I have bought 8 Aspire laptops in the past 2 years. Always the same.

Most recent one was

Aspire 7741a-4485 Exactly in the price range you are looking at BUT it is a 17" as I use it at home all day long.

Intel Pentium 2.13 GHz 3MB L3 cache
Intel HD Graphics
4GB DDR3 memory
320 GB HDD
DVD
Camera

Or you can get it off of Amazon and have it delivered if you prefer.

If he wants a smaller screen I would suggest an Aspire as above but smaller screen.

No,He doesn't have a laptop now so this is all new to him also, although he's very computer intelligent, unlike his dad :(
These are great suggestions, thank you

Crowler
Does he use a laptop now?

If so get the same size screen if he likes it.

I would go go Walmart. I have bought 8 Aspire laptops in the past 2 years. Always the same.

Most recent one was

Aspire 7741a-4485 Exactly in the price range you are looking at BUT it is a 17" as I use it at home all day long.

Intel Pentium 2.13 GHz 3MB L3 cache Intel HD Graphics 4GB DDR3 memory 320 GB HDD DVD Camera

Or you can get it off of Amazon and have it delivered if you prefer.

If he wants a smaller screen I would suggest an Aspire as above but smaller screen.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That was my initial thought about Best buy, overrated and over priced we happened to be out by Best buy and was looking at different laptops.
Thanks!

animalsdStewie, don't buy anything from bestbuy. You can get a comparable or better laptop online for the same amount or cheaper.

I use dealnews.com for good buys. My g/f bought a sony vaio last year for around $550. i5, 500gb hd, i forget the rest. Sometimes dell or microsoft throw in a free xbox 360 if you buy certain laptops... just something to think about.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I didn't think of that I'll definitely mention to him about the size/weight, considering his books also, great point!
Thanks!
TrenBrah He will regret a 17 inch screen, even a 15 inch.

Get a 13 inch.

When I first went to college I had a 15 inch. Too big. It broke so I got a 13 inch. Broke that recently and even though I graduated last year I got another 13 inch. Much more convenient size.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Excellent points!
Will definitely mention all this, Thanks!

CigarManIf your son is planning on using this to take notes on with during class, 17" is going to be to big to haul around.

I've hauled laptops around since about '96 and for the past 5 years, I have gone down to a 14" laptop. It is lighter, easier to haul around, the screen is big enough to work on and the battery lasts longer than the larger laptops.

I also have a 10.1 that I carry but that is just for notes and internet access as the screen is not big enough to so much else (screen resolution limited to 800x600 and max ram is 2gb).

I use my heavy 15.6" laptop as my main machine at home now as its a pain to haul around. I plug it into a 26" flatscreen tv and use an external keyboard and mouse with it.

Find out what programs he is thinks he will need while at school. He can find out from counselors or from student support. The 3 uni's near where I live use programs that are compatible with with windows, mac, and linux os's.

If a mac is a better choice, then once he gets his college ID, he can get the student discount from Apple or at the student store at the college.

Whatever you end up getting, here are some minimal system specs that I would suggest to last several years:

CPU - i3 or better

RAM - at least 4GB

HardDrive - size really doesn't matter, can use external if more storage is needed.

CD/DVD - again, doesn't matter, can use external drive. More of todays lightweight laptops are dropping the CD/DVD drive to make a thinner lighter laptop.

Screen size - 15.6" may end up being to heavy unless you spend the bucks for a lightweight "ultra" laptop. I would try and stay in the 4lb range for mobility.

Last edited:
6GB mem.
intel core i3
windows 7
dvd

i like it alot

Would this be in the $400-500 range?
Thanks Tenny!

I'm as dumb as they come when it comes to Laptops or any type of PC ...is what it is :(

So anyway, my son is headed off to college next year, we were out looking at laptops at Best buy, he's much more Computer savvy than I am.

He's picked out a HP 17.3" Pavilion with 4Gb memory, 500 GB hard drive.

Is this a decent laptop? Maybe look into a different one?
Some place other than Best buy? Online purchase?

I haven't purchased it yet, anyone with opinions on if this laptop is one that would get him through at least a couple of years of college? I'm sure it will ...

Thanks for any suggestions

More then 75% of all college kids use their brand new laptops for 30% research papers and 70% downloading music! hahaha sad but true......

HP is a pretty good name brand so you should be fine. In my house we have 3 Dell and 1 Toshiba laptop. Dell has always served us well. And the Toshiba is the one I use for my dj gigs. Couple places to look and compare prices:

TigerDirect.com

MicroCenter.com

iBUYPOWER.com (they allow you to customize your laptop, they build it themselves and then ship it)

Newegg.com

all have great prices.

Last edited:
Look on HP.com they have the best value and performance out there now. Look at there every day performance laptops. I would also recommend an Intel processor. An I3 should be obtainable in that price range. Get min of 4gb of RAM and the rest just get the most for the best price. I would recommend a 14" screen also if he will be mobile a lot. Check out WWW.deals2buy.com they often list good laptop deals and discount codes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Look on HP.com they have the best value and performance out there now. Look at there every day performance laptops. I would also recommend an Intel processor. An I3 should be obtainable in that price range. Get min of 4gb of RAM and the rest just get the most for the best price. I would recommend a 14" screen also if he will be mobile a lot. Check out **broken link removed** they often list good laptop deals and discount codes.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Right on, thanks!

Get atleast 6gb of active ram 8 would be better most the other doesn't matter.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

I agree with the recommendations so far. At least an I3 processor (2nd generation), 4 gigs of DDR3 memory and Windows 7 (preferably 64 bit). HD size is personal preference, but they are usually 250 gigs or more in these set ups. Screen size is personal preference as well.

Here is a HP with all of these specs plus a blu-ray player for 379.99.

Best Deal: HP Pavilion G6-1D72NR 15.6" Laptop: Core i3-2350M 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, Blu-ray, Windows 7 Premium - G6-1D72NR

Pretty good deal. That's going to be hard to beat and HP is a good brand.

Rule of thumb for the market right now, a laptop with these specs (w/out the blu-ray) averages $399.

Here is the link to Dealigg's laptop page, so you can see some other options.

Best Computer - Laptop Deals, Coupon Codes Discount, Rebates at Dell Best Buy, Newegg and More!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Man thanks everyone for the feedback, very much appreciate all the info!

And Boomshaker, we started legal action Monday .... I most certainly won't forget about you bother if all goes through.

Last edited:
Man thanks everyone for the feedback, very much appreciate all the info!

And Boomshaker, we started legal action Monday .... I most certainly won't forget about you bother if all goes through.

The very best to you and your family my friend. Thats what's most important.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws