advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Doc in the house? Diagnose my friend's Illness?

MrDeflation

Registered
What's is the next step?
-------------

Long story as short as possible...

Background 26yr old female, prepping for a contest ( totally 100% drug free, other than a fat burner 2x a day and energy drinks galore)

10 weeks into her prep she became tired all the time, nauseous , dizzy. However, no loss of strength was found.

My friend all of a sudden was tired all the time. Went to get a check up. Everything was fine except for a low WBC count/low Neutrophils. Although HDL was 107! (tested 3x)

Doc said to recheck in 4 weeks. During which time heart palpitations/arrhythmia began daily. In 4 weeks blood work was rechecked. The WBC dropped much lower as did the Neutrophils count. In addition the liver AST/ALT counts were slightly elevated.

Normal blood pressure for this individual = 130/85, heart rate 80, has now dropped to an average of 105/75 with a resting heart rate of 55-65 over the last 4 weeks.

Immediately went for further diagnostic checks.

primary care doc = HIV test, Hepatitis, STD's all negative, ultrasound of spleen =pass

cardiologist - EKG, Cat scan, Sonagram = pass

hematologist/oncologist = nothing found (so far). No diagnosis of condition.

checked into an emergency room for precautionary measures = head surgeon/doctor (family friend) also has no clue.

----------------

Next step is what? Where do we turn for help? Any ideas?

Allergy? Adrenal Fatigue?

Homeopathic doc?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Last edited:
Im not a doctor so i dont know if you'd like my advice. But by what you describing, i would look at her carb intake. Im guessing it is really low since she has been prepping for her contest.

Im not a doctor so i dont know if you'd like my advice. But by what you describing, i would look at her carb intake. Im guessing it is really low since she has been prepping for her contest.

yes.... just the thread title....

just looking for what anyone else would do given the situation.

Thanks for the help :)

Just a guess..

Because she is prepping for contest, im assuming low calories, which since many important vitamins/minerals are found in food we eat, are being taken in, a possible deficiency? This happened to a friend of mine, who was prepping for a contest, not the exact same symptoms, but very close, and it turned out he had a few mineral deficiencies despite the fact that he was supplementing a multi-vitamin/mineral... Other than that, low carbs cause low energy as well as nausea in some people, as well as fainting/dizziness. Even over training can have some of the physical effects you described (low energy/tired)

Because she is prepping for contest, im assuming low calories, which since many important vitamins/minerals are found in food we eat, are being taken in, a possible deficiency? This happened to a friend of mine, who was prepping for a contest, not the exact same symptoms, but very close, and it turned out he had a few mineral deficiencies despite the fact that he was supplementing a multi-vitamin/mineral... Other than that, low carbs cause low energy as well as nausea in some people, as well as fainting/dizziness. Even over training can have some of the physical effects you described (low energy/tired)

exactly what I am thinking, she was doing 1 1/2 hrs of cardio a day, extremely low carbs, and was taking vitamins/minerals daily.

However, nobody can figure out how that can explain the Low White Blood cell count? Every doc has suggested that the WBC would be high if she was "overtrained"

thanks for the help!

Good point, but...

possibly she was sick earlier? Say if she were overtrained, low on calories, and lacking certain vitamins/minerals, she would have had the perfect set up to get sick.. esp with overtraining. And because shes over trained, she gets sick faster.. After the sickness passes, that would explain the low WBC count. possibly an old viral infection?
OR even a hormone imbalance? Higher cortisol levels causing weakened immune system, = low WBC?
Im just kinda rambling now, trying to find something that makes sense..

Last edited:
Drop the fat burners and up the carbs slightly. see what this does. Sounds a bit like chronic fatigue syndrome! I'm guessing!

I would assume they checked her thyroid? TSH, free t4, etc.
Why did they want an US of the spleen,I assume low WBC's, but was it enlarged on exam? If so, that could be mononucleosis.
Was her Sodium/potassium normal? What about glucose (fasting or otherwise)=i.e. adrenal insufficiency
Does she have any other medical problems or symptoms (cough, night sweats, etc.)

Last edited:
First of all I would stop the contest prep, any kind of supps and just go back to a normal (non dieting) diet

those are big signs of overtraining / chronic fatigue

Drop the fat burners and up the carbs slightly. see what this does. Sounds a bit like chronic fatigue syndrome! I'm guessing!

x 2!!!!!!

x3!!!

After all these fat burners and energy drinks, her adrenal glands are probably worn out!

I think she needs to get a CBC done and someone needs too look at her electrolytes. Low WBC can come from overtraining, I would have to know the esonophils count along with her HCT, RBC, and Hemoglobin. I would recommend weaning caffeine from the diet along with slowly increasing carbs and adding some probiotics (you can get at your local health food store, it is basically normal flora bacteria for the body). I am thinking you should go see a Internal Medicine Doctor and I would like to know the results from the Hemo/Oncologist, I am thinking the answer may be in the blood. Good luck and tell her to relax and make sure she is sleeping plenty.

First of all I would stop the contest prep, any kind of supps and just go back to a normal (non dieting) diet

those are big signs of overtraining / chronic fatigue
I agree over training and carb restriction is probably the problem...sounds like she bit off a little to much for her body to handle.

GUESS?

Some sort of autoimmune system disorder.......an increase risk for infection with low neutrophils......hence the HIV check. Did they check kidneys? Check for Lupus? Well, we can guess and it is quite interesting........but it is only a guess.

What's is the next step?
-------------

Long story as short as possible...

Background 26yr old female, prepping for a contest ( totally 100% drug free, other than a fat burner 2x a day and energy drinks galore)

10 weeks into her prep she became tired all the time, nauseous , dizzy. However, no loss of strength was found.

My friend all of a sudden was tired all the time. Went to get a check up. Everything was fine except for a low WBC count/low Neutrophils. Although HDL was 107! (tested 3x)

Doc said to recheck in 4 weeks. During which time heart palpitations/arrhythmia began daily. In 4 weeks blood work was rechecked. The WBC dropped much lower as did the Neutrophils count. In addition the liver AST/ALT counts were slightly elevated.

Normal blood pressure for this individual = 130/85, heart rate 80, has now dropped to an average of 105/75 with a resting heart rate of 55-65 over the last 4 weeks.

Immediately went for further diagnostic checks.

primary care doc = HIV test, Hepatitis, STD's all negative, ultrasound of spleen =pass

cardiologist - EKG, Cat scan, Sonagram = pass

hematologist/oncologist = nothing found (so far). No diagnosis of condition.

checked into an emergency room for precautionary measures = head surgeon/doctor (family friend) also has no clue.

----------------

Next step is what? Where do we turn for help? Any ideas?

Allergy? Adrenal Fatigue?

Homeopathic doc?

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks

She has a very severe adrenal fatigue which will make the immune system very weak, she need to stop taking fat burner and take Humanofort emidiatly, and start a normal dieat including fresh fruits and vegis.

what she has is called neutropenia. Which is a decrease in neutrophil count. Could be many reasons. SOme fatal some easy to fix. Read here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutropenia

how low was the neutrophil count. did she get her Vit B12 levels checked. Please get that checked . Also sometimes viral infection can lead to neutropenia. so if she had one recently maybe she will recover. If you need help understanding anything let me know and I will try to research it.

possibly she was sick earlier? Say if she were overtrained, low on calories, and lacking certain vitamins/minerals, she would have had the perfect set up to get sick.. esp with overtraining. And because shes over trained, she gets sick faster.. After the sickness passes, that would explain the low WBC count. possibly an old viral infection?
OR even a hormone imbalance? Higher cortisol levels causing weakened immune system, = low WBC?
Im just kinda rambling now, trying to find something that makes sense..

no prior illness reported.

thanks!

I would assume they checked her thyroid? TSH, free t4, etc.
Why did they want an US of the spleen,I assume low WBC's, but was it enlarged on exam? If so, that could be mononucleosis.
Was her Sodium/potassium normal? What about glucose (fasting or otherwise)=i.e. adrenal insufficiency
Does she have any other medical problems or symptoms (cough, night sweats, etc.)

Spleen was normal, mineral levels were all within normal ranges, glucose was 77 fasting and normal range.

No other symptoms or medical problems except a genetic history of arrhythmia.

thanks

I think she needs to get a CBC done and someone needs too look at her electrolytes. Low WBC can come from overtraining, I would have to know the esonophils count along with her HCT, RBC, and Hemoglobin. I would recommend weaning caffeine from the diet along with slowly increasing carbs and adding some probiotics (you can get at your local health food store, it is basically normal flora bacteria for the body). I am thinking you should go see a Internal Medicine Doctor and I would like to know the results from the Hemo/Oncologist, I am thinking the answer may be in the blood. Good luck and tell her to relax and make sure she is sleeping plenty.

all the doctors so far have said "overtraining" would result in a HIGH WBC count as opposed to a lower than normal one.

eosinophis = 1.0 (range 1.0 -7.0)

hct = 38.1 (34-44)

RBC =4.89 (3.8-5.1)

Hemoglobin = 41.8 (35.5-47)

====================

current blood work (2 days ago) showed now

WBC low = 3.4 (4-11)

segs low = 40.6 (50-75)

lymphs high = 52 (20-44)

also added:

BUN high = 22 (6-18)

Albumin high = 5.2 (3.5-5.0)