over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

A Bit off topic...Cycling

Flex2019

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Anyone here into cycling (the kind using bicycles) :D? I've worked in the bicycle industry for many years and for a few years, raced XC mountain bikes. Although I don't ride as much as I did before I started lifting seriously, I still try to get out as much as I can (which usually ends up being once every couple weeks at best. Nice change of pace for cardio and can be pretty exciting too.

Here's my mountain machine: An Intense 6.6 with a Sram X.9 Drivetrain, Avid disc brakes, Fox shocks front and rear. 6.6 inches of suspension travel.

Last edited:
And my sick fast road racer. A Giant TCR SL1. Frame and fork are carbon fiber, full Shimano Dura Ace drivetrain. Weighs under 15 lbs. I've hit 60mph downhill a few times on this thing.

Last edited:
This was taken last week at a bicycle industry trade show in Rhode Island.

Last edited:
I used to be big on mountain biking until I cased a double and landed so hard on my seat that it snapped in half and a remaining piece of sharp plastic cut my scrotum, it was one of those I-beam seats, not the usual ones that are connected with rails, hence the plastic. I haven't ridden since. I have a 2005 Iron Horse Sunday Team and a pimped out hardtail. Intense is sickness. I contemplated getting an M3 but it was out of my price range.

Last edited:
Nice bikes bro! I enjoy freestyle and downhill mtbing but took a bad crash last year bombing down a fire road(endo over the bars, onto my face:eek:) and haven't been much at all this past year. Think I'll go hit up a trail this weekend:)

Crashing

I hear you guys on the crashing...over the years I've broken my right patella, both wrists, and dislocated both shoulders (the right one over 10 times, requiring surgery and months of rehab to fix). This is why I don't ride nearly as hard (in the woods anyway) as I used to. A crash now could put me out of the gym for a long time, and I can't have that. These days, I'll go out with my hardcore buddies and stay at the side of the trail as they hit the big stuff. It's definitely hard to get away from the sport when you have sweet bikes in front of you every single day though. Road riding is a different story, and a 50 to 75 mile ride is not out of the question.

hye flex..finaly a big bastard that rides... i am 235lb and ride a roadie...do you find long drives hamper gains or anything...would u limit the amount you ride...

im doing a show nxt yr, and if i also do the cancer bike ride again, its 100miles a day for two days....eek...

any pointers on how you go for 2-4hr rides..

thanks

phats
ps, i have a specialized ROUBAIX comp i think?? lol full carbon....

phats

phatkid77...

I've found that in order to hold on to my mass, I can't ride as much as I used to-when I was 16-18 years old, I was quite a bit smaller (obviously) and rode usually 4 days per week for 3-4 hours at a time. These days due to a change in physical goals, I limit long rides to once or twice per week (or even every two weeks) at most. Short rides 20-25 miles are no big deal, that's only an hour or so of cardio for a cyclist in decent shape.

I put a focus on two things- 1: making sure I have a steady supply of carbs in me during the ride so as to spare muscle as much as possible, and 2: making sure that my post-ride routine includes a lot of food and a ton of sleep. The addition of BCAAs to a water bottle during a ride is probably not a bad idea either.

I too am preparing for a show next year, and I will use my bikes as a source of cardio. Since you ride a road bike, let me mention this-road riding is a great avenue to get in some interval training without the outrageous pounding on you that sprinting (running) will produce. I can go out for even just a half hour hill workout that will put to shame anything I could do for cardio in a gym setting. As far as your back-to-back century rides go, I don't think it will really be a problem as long as you don't do it week after week. Just make sure you put a huge emphasis on recovery, just as I'm sure you do every time you hit the gym.

A side note for you guys with tiny calves...this is what cycling can do for you (I haven't trained my calves in the gym in years):

Last edited:
Just wanted to say - cool thread. I ride for transportation and recreation... I wouldn't mind getting into it more (I have a MTB and an old road bike)... when I was dieting this summer I used the bike as my main source of cardio.

My thought is "why walk when you can ride?" and find no greater joy then being able to bike to school / work / stores / the gym.

Transportation

I've always thought that riding was a heck of a lot better than walking as far as getting around...not to mention, I can get around most of my town much faster by bicycle than I can by car anyway. And it's pretty fun when you're going downhill in a tuck fast enough to pass cars driving their normal speed.

i am just getting into mountain biking - have got a GT hard tail that I tax'd off my older brother

here is a jump that me and my mates are going to give a go one weekend, i go for a holiday on wednesday so i didnt want to break anything before i leave, its at a place called Menai (sydney, australia)

Attachments

• excuses1.jpg
    excuses1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 277
  • excuses2.jpg
    excuses2.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 307
  • excuses3.jpg
    excuses3.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 288
  • excuses4.jpg
    excuses4.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 292
You're taking that drop on a hardtail?? :eek: Looks like you've got some nice trails down under...There is a pretty large network of trails within about 5 miles from my house that include a lot of ladder bridges, teeter totters, etc. I tend to shy away from the bigger stuff though. Too easy to get hurt.

i think it do-able on a hardtail, as long as you land on the down ramp and not flat land then your nuts will be up near your throat somewhere

in that area (menai) this is the beginners area, they have another area that we only just stumbled across y'day, my mate took a few photos so will post them up when he sends them thru. It makes that jump look a little small, i got no idea how these dudes get the balls to drop off some of the stuff they go on.

I also saw a video on youtube of the new run we found, when i get home i will post the link, the dudes on the video sure now how to ride

Be careful bro on that drop w/ the hard tail. That's exactly how I cased it, I was racing my buddy jumped a gap and bottomed out my front shocks suspension and it bucked my over my bars and landed on my face at about 30mph, not fun having your face, shoulder, and knee dragging 50ft to stop you. I stood up had a mouth full of rocks and blood and swear I thought the rocks were my teeth. Lots of road rash, 7 stitches and he hurt ego :eek:

Don't mean to freak you out but I won't be doing that again trust me.

While were talking about mt. biking here are two sick videos!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OnX5s8QcnY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCryAVVcyVY

And probably one of the coolest videos I've EVER seen!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

Last edited:
Nice vids....I love the stuff in Utah...looks like it's part of the Red Bull Rampage. I'm sure you've seen it before, but if not look it up. Some of the sickest freeriding I've ever seen. Years ago I took a trip to Moab and rode Slickrock, Porcupine Rim, and Poison Spider (nothing like the stuff these guys are doing, but back then we were all riding XC bikes). Sick terrain, I'd love to go back someday.

This thread is ending up a lot cooler than I had anticipated. It's cool to see that some of you guys, even while making bodybuilding a priority, are still getting out to ride. Anyone else got anything to share?

YouTube - Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009

I just watched this video in it's entirety...you're right, it's freaking amazing. I've seen a lot of good bike handling skills over the years, but Danny MacAskill is truly "one with his bike". That video gave me chills bro. Good stuff. Keep it coming.

YouTube - Inspired Bicycles - Danny MacAskill April 2009

That is the sickest trials rider I've ever seen. I've been out of the loop awhile. Ryan Leech was the top trials rider last time I checked, and this guy blows him away. Flair off the tree...SICK!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

And, speaking of drops on a hardtail; that guy was hitting like 10'-15' drops to flat. Ouch!

Last edited:
I've been interested in getting involved in triathlons lately and looking for a good road bike. I was looking at the Trek 1.5. I want a beginner bike but being an advanced athlete (I was a competitive runner and played college football, as well as an avid mountain biker at one time) I want something that I can grow with, because I know I'll progress quickly in my training.

Thoughts?

I've been interested in getting involved in triathlons lately and looking for a good road bike. I was looking at the Trek 1.5. I want a beginner bike but being an advanced athlete (I was a competitive runner and played college football, as well as an avid mountain biker at one time) I want something that I can grow with, because I know I'll progress quickly in my training.

Thoughts?

Trek 1.5 isn't much of a bike if you want something to grow with as a cyclist...I recommend at least going to something in the 2 series to get a 105 drivetrain rather than the Tiagra drivetrain of the 1.5 The 105 components not only shift more smoothly but last quite a bit longer.

If you have the money to spend, the best thing to do is go a step higher into a full carbon frame or and half carbon/half aluminum frame which a lot of companies make these days. My shop is a Giant dealer and one of our best sellers is from Giant's Alliance series-1500 bucks gets you a 105 drivetrain and a half carbon/half aluminum frame that is lighter and more comfortable than a Trek 1.5 Getting into something of this level will help ensure you don't outgrow your bike too quickly.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws